test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fixing the Dil Exchange (No, Really!)

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    Uh... what? STO is still going strong. There is no indication of any of that so... why the conspiracy theory?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    lokharno wrote: »
    TL;DR I think the path to a reasonable dil/zen market exchange rate will be (a) nerfing dil refining caps, (b) moving certain items out of the zen store and into the dil store, or (c) some combination of both. These approaches directly address the underlying problems -- without the expense of inventing a new dil sink or the player rage of imposing some kind of dil tax.

If you fear 'player rage' now, imagine what nerfing refining caps would do. :p

Moving stuff from Zen-store to dilithium would, indeed, be a great sink, except they'd be robbing themselves in the process (less Zen sales).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Dilithium is supposed to be basically the endgame currency. Use it to upgrade gear, get rep gear... various fleet stuff...
    Dilithium is pretty much the Universal Mark. The only thing you can't do with it is convert it into specific Rep marks.

The Vanity Shields did get people trading again because people wanted access to them without needing to chance the lockbox weapon packs. They were a super rare commodity that became a lot more attainable for a while via DL. And that got the DL Exchange working again for a bit.
    I may have only gotten one of the vanity shields, but I do like the fact that it is account bound so I can pass it around if I wanted. But honestly having the Kelvin Divergence shield on a Discovery D7 looks pretty good.

I SWEAR when I first read about it, they were going to be character bound, then it became account bound and it's so frustrating, because you have to put it in your bank, log into another character, try it on the ship and decide if you like it and then it not...do it again. I bought two an it's taken me ages to find one of my ships that I like it on. It's the worst part of vanity shields...you can't tell if you like them on certain ships before you buy...well, unless you log into Tribble, but it's all so much effort. I used to like it when you were considering buying a variant of a ship, when to customization, took a good look at it and then made your decision.

There should be somewhere you can try these things before committing so much money and or resources to it...and the Dilithium Vanity Shields should be account reclaimable :-(
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    kayajay wrote: »
    There should be somewhere you can try these things before committing so much money and or resources to it...and the Dilithium Vanity Shields should be account reclaimable :-(

While I agree on trying it on so to speak... the problem with making them account unlocks negates the purpose of the sale, which was to kickstart the DL exchange again. Also would mean they would actually have to program in an account unlock for said shields on top of everything rather than just switch them to dilithium.

A bit of a double edged sword, but... it is what it is.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

While I agree on trying it on so to speak... the problem with making them account unlocks negates the purpose of the sale, which was to kickstart the DL exchange again. Also would mean they would actually have to program in an account unlock for said shields on top of everything rather than just switch them to dilithium.

A bit of a double edged sword, but... it is what it is.

It's funny though, because the vanity shields can't have been done on the fly...it has to have been planned and the exchange was working perfectly up until the day before the news of them was released.
  • Options
    Well... according to the livestream yesterday...
    • Vanity shield sink came out so fast because Jeremy had been working on it beforehand, unrelated to the dil crash.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1263109/ten-forward-weekly-8-18-21

They apparently already had planned on giving us a chance to pick up vanity shields for DL. The Market Crash accelerated its release. Guess they were planning on having that ready for some special event or something but had to change plans when the market imploded.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Uh... what? STO is still going strong. There is no indication of any of that so... why the conspiracy theory?

Not exactly...Belgium for example has banned any random virtual sales. So the it's a raffle excuse does not work there. If more countries follow suit, lockboxes and promo boxes will be gone. Hell even something like the DOFF packs are not allowed under Belgium law. There was a scare amongst game companies that other EU countries might follow or EU might adopt the same...but this has been years now with no such movements. That however does not mean there won't be any as there is precedent for something like this. So...pretty sure that people at Cryptic is at least somewhat worried about the possibility. They'd have to be dumber than I could possibly imagine them being if that was not the case.

As for the legendary ship deal...the first pack was LITERALLY THE MOST DEMANDED thing in this game and people still make it out to be a cash grab. It has a T6 ToS connie that is 100% chance with account unlock no less. Literally everything that has been asked for and people get pissed that they get 9+ other ships for free with that. The other legendary packs are NOT for those of us who have been around forever. They are supposed to be super values for new players for their favorite ships. The fact that they make the bundles in this manner kinda shows that new players are a thing...that is until this last legendary pack. The move away from things like the level up thing could be an indicator that things are not going well in the new players department. I mean I personally like it bundled this way better...but it is a noticeable change from the other legendary bundles (not including the first one).

However all that is high conjecture...so...yeah.

coldnapalm, I assume you're referring to the latest Legendary Pack featuring the Legendary D'deridex & Scimitar.

The Level boost to 65 were packaged with singular ships, and the Romulans already have one packaged with the Legendary T'Liss. Discovery Feds & Klingons ALSO have packs. The Dominion will not get such a pack as they already start at level 60, but I could see them doing TOS Fed and 25th century Legendary packs potentially, assuming there's anything left they could make from the 25th century.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Why not add Lobi Crystal shop goods to Dill shop for awhile till they come up with a more concrete fix say with a half Lobi price and and Dill with it.

Example a t6 ship is 900 Lobi so why not go 450 lobi and fill in the rest with dill? You still have to pay for keys with Zen to open boxs for Lobi but it would also use up some Dill with it.

Right now the Dill shop is kinda lacking. So why not go half Lobi and half Dill?
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »
    Why not add Lobi Crystal shop goods to Dill shop for awhile till they come up with a more concrete fix say with a half Lobi price and and Dill with it.

Example a t6 ship is 900 Lobi so why not go 450 lobi and fill in the rest with dill? You still have to pay for keys with Zen to open boxs for Lobi but it would also use up some Dill with it.

Right now the Dill shop is kinda lacking. So why not go half Lobi and half Dill?

Might be easier, neater, and possibly more approachable to... instead of this... simply put lobi crystals in the dil store.

Then the Dev's won't make as much money. I put it this way so the Devs can still make money off of Zen.

Zen to keys then keys to open boxes then boxes to lobi crystal. But instead of full Lobi we can do half & half. Half Lobi and Half Dill.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,485 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »

Might be easier, neater, and possibly more approachable to... instead of this... simply put lobi crystals in the dil store.

at what price? i mean, this is a good idea, but then it cuts into LB sales. i mean, aside from events, ive never seen lobi offered in any other form.

Way back in the day, there was a period where Cryptic offered Lobi for playing featured episode missions. e.g. the 2800 series, the Breen FE series etc. Those events were removed a long time ago though.

I suspect the reason they were removed were that those events were cutting into Cryptic's revenue stream with lockboxes.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    So at the moment, the only way to get Zen is with real money? Convenient. Do I see they fixing that in the exchange? Nope. Few months maybe.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    sniper1187 wrote: »
    So at the moment, the only way to get Zen is with real money? Convenient. Do I see they fixing that in the exchange? Nope. Few months maybe.

I was thinking the same thing. They watched a naturally sabotaged path to getting Zen; and while I believe they didn't do this on purpose, I don't think they're in a particular hurry to fix it any time soon.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sniper1187 wrote: »

Not exactly. If you place an order to buy zen, it will get filled eventually. It's just taking longer and longer because the number of people buying zen is far greater than the number of people selling it. It was, as of last checking, up to about 1/2 a week delay between posting your dilithium for sale and getting zen from someone buying it.

True; but you can't set the price any more.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    A big ARMADA Starbase with tons of stuff in it to buy while it is being built !!!
  • Options
    yougetbanned#1188 yougetbanned Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Projected effect on the economy: 0/nada/nothing.

Reroll tokens you hardly need and 2.5k dil/per is like nothing (25k would be something...).
    Pass tokens are pointless since you just use your tons of Admirality cards (or bunch of EC shuttles) to "pass" missions.

Sell combat boosts for 100k/dil for 1h of 10% bonus dmg (stackable up to 100%=1m dil).
    That would impact the economy since deepsies would love it and usable by any player (cound entice to charge zen=dil).
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    starmanj wrote: »
    A big ARMADA Starbase with tons of stuff in it to buy while it is being built !!!

while i want to say no, i also want to have you expand on this. what stuff? what use would there be for it? what would people get out of it?

Well 1 thing it took a long time to build the Fleet Starbase, and it ate a lot of Dil. So make the ARMADA Starbase Huge. with better Item/stuff than the other Holdings had. Just a Idea :)
  • Options
    alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User

while i want to say no, i also want to have you expand on this. what stuff? what use would there be for it? what would people get out of it?

Well 1 thing it took a long time to build the Fleet Starbase, and it ate a lot of Dil. So make the ARMADA Starbase Huge. with better Item/stuff than the other Holdings had. Just a Idea :)

i get that, you said that in the other post. but to just build a pretty base? what better items and things would you put in there to make it a marketable dil sink?

Maybe put some great ships, consoles, weapons in the fleet store that are really unique and worth getting through a fleet.
    Most of the stuff in fleet stores currently is low level and outdated.
This discussion has been closed.