What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ten Forward Weekly 8/18/21

2»

Comments

• Options
    dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Yet it was the first and only thing that came to his mind. If there is something more relevant he should have used that example instead. It's pretty damning that in the same conversation he calls bridges 'Arcane knowledge' and that it's inconvenient for people to go there.
  • Options
    dacia#9992 dacia Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    dacia#9992 wrote: »
    Yet it was the first and only thing that came to his mind. If there is something more relevant he should have used that example instead. It's pretty damning that in the same conversation he calls bridges 'Arcane knowledge' and that it's inconvenient for people to go there.

It wasn't the only thing that came to his mind, hence them talking about how the same thing applies to player height in regards to cutscenes as well.

Keywords, in regards to cutscenes. The very words that you're using to make your case actually working against you. He's still talking about cutscenes.... on bridges.

You know what? I just realized that I've gotten into it with you before, rather than waste my time and energy I'm just going to start calling you 'Mr. False Premise' and move on. Have a nice day.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    You wanna talk about buggy cutscenes with varying player height, just look at Tuvok's mind meld scenes from Mindscape...more often than not, he'd be jamming his fingers in my eyes, up my nose, in my mouth, through my neck....​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User

It wasn't the only thing that came to his mind, hence them talking about how the same thing applies to player height in regards to cutscenes as well.

Keywords, in regards to cutscenes. The very words that you're using to make your case actually working against you. He's still talking about cutscenes.... on bridges.

You know what? I just realized that I've gotten into it with you before, rather than waste my time and energy I'm just going to start calling you 'Mr. False Premise' and move on. Have a nice day.

you are completely right good points!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    The demo I saw of the system took a little while to redress the scene and they talked about how it was also implementable to dynamically generate the different versions while spinning up the scene behind the loading screen as long as care was taken to have the character first appear in a smaller simpler area of the map while it finishes the process outside of that landing room while the character goes through dialog or whatever. Also, with the precise, efficient library structure multiple pre-built-and-tweaked versions are easier and more compact to store for scenes that do not fit the dynamic generation criteria well.
    If you can find a link to that again I would love to see it. Its been awhile since ive seen an article about newish engine tech like that. And no, I was speaking of the button as a dev thing, not a player thing.

I wish I did still have that link. I stumbled across it by chance while doing something else and got distracted since it looked interesting, and like an idiot apparently never bookmarked it before going back to what I was supposed to be doing. :(

At the start they were talking about how AAA games are taking longer and longer to produce, pushing the seven year mark even with fully staffed teams and the new system (I am not sure if it was a whole independent engine or a new toolchain added on top of a bleeding edge engine like UE5, it has something suspiciously like what Unreal calls Nanite and Lumen so it could have been an addon to that of some sort) used AI to help developers cut that time down by eliminating a lot of the duplication and other inefficiencies older, more manual systems have.

The video showed examples from a game already in development using it but I didn't recognize it (it had city streets, non-uniformed but geared/powered heroes of some sort, and demonic or alien monsters of some sort but that is so typical of today's games it is not much help in identifying it).

They stressed the ability to morph scenes to different states, to reuse, and reskin very quickly rather than painstakingly building each variation (or similar location) by hand, including that dynamic reskin during loading screen trick.

• Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind being able to purchase an office at SFA or on Earth Spacedock...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind being able to purchase an office at SFA or on Earth Spacedock...

Put up those orbital offices from TMP around the planet of our choice. There’s the player housing.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Basically this, but "holodeck program" instead of "captain's quarters", and because of that, a lot more customization possibilities for the space. (Walls that look like log cabin? Okay! Yurt? Fine, whatever! A window overlooking the SFA campus? Sure!)

yes yes yes!

best post in the thread!

very good thank you!
This discussion has been closed.