test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NEED HELP WITH A SITUATION

tr717771tr717771 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
I have been going through a lot since the passing of my cousin the issue is he named me on his will and I was given his account to sto the question I have is what should I do with his account and what is the procedure in a situation like this I don't want to get into any trouble or anything do I discountine his account or just leave it alone?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. If you have any interest playing the game I suggest:

1: never mentions this situation again as I believe it is against the rules to give away accounts.

2: maybe start a new character to learn the basics of gameplay and then possibly switch to one of his existing characters if it has character bound ships or items you may want to use.

3: see "1" again for emphasis.

If you aren't interested in playing the game you don't have to do anything at all; just leave it alone. Sorry again for your loss.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. If you are interested in playing the game I say start playing his account (maybe create a new character to learn how things work) mention this again as I believe it's against the rules to give someone else your account. If you aren't interested in playing the game you don't have to do anything.

I have my own account I have been playing since the game first came out but this never really happened to me before so I didn't know he would do this I haven't got his info yet it still with the lawer until next week and thinks I didn't expect my cousin to pass so quickly again thanks
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Given that you're an existing player with your own account... I would read over the terms of service first, and if there's nothing absolutely forbidding this, then contact support and ask if it's okay to transfer any unbound items and currency. I don't *think* they'll let you keep both accounts active in the long-term, but they might allow you to strip down one of them.

so take my cousins account and tranfer his stuff to my account? well given that I haven't recieved my cousins account yet from the lawer until next week so I think I have enough time to talk to a dev about this if its possible.
  • Options
    tr717771 wrote: »
    Given that you're an existing player with your own account... I would read over the terms of service first, and if there's nothing absolutely forbidding this, then contact support and ask if it's okay to transfer any unbound items and currency. I don't *think* they'll let you keep both accounts active in the long-term, but they might allow you to strip down one of them.

so take my cousins account and tranfer his stuff to my account? well given that I haven't recieved my cousins account yet from the lawer until next week so I think I have enough time to talk to a dev about this if its possible.

Something like that - although just to be on the safe side I would wait until you actually have it, and contact them from that account.

ok I will do that then thanks
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Sorry to hear about your cousin.

1: never mentions this situation again as I believe it is against the rules to give away accounts.

Quoting #1 above for even more emphasis. Don't ask, tell, or discuss. Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    As long as you don't use the account to do any actions against the terms of service and don't flaunt it by talking about it in chat and whatnot I doubt Cryptic would do anything about it. I think they are mainly concerned with account brokers and other scams WoW and some of the other early MMOs were rife with and other abuse, rather than someone inheriting and using one in case you would like to keep your cousin's characters "alive" as a personal memorial or something.

As has been said by others here the main thing is to not force their hand by flaunting the fact.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Sorry to hear about your cousin. If you have any interest playing the game I suggest:

2: maybe start a new character to learn the basics of gameplay and then possibly switch to one of his existing characters if it has character bound ships or items you may want to use.

3: see "1" again for emphasis.

If you aren't interested in playing the game you don't have to do anything at all; just leave it alone. Sorry again for your loss.
    also

4: change current nic/email

5:see "1"
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    You can't absorb his account into yours...I'm sorry, but Cryptic will never help you with anything like that whatsoever. It's within their power, but they never help.

You could transfer all of the account unlocked items to yours with Mail though, or if you have two computers, load both characters and start an exchange between them.

You could also play two different accounts, or a lot of people are selling their accounts on eBay...

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, by the way.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    There's nothing against this in TOS. No where does it says you can't have multiple accounts nor is there anything against transferring ownership of an account.

Besides, they'd have to be real [censored] to hit you over this when it is transferred via someone's last will. And if they did that you should raise a stink about it and be sure every games media that ever talks about STO gets the story.

What they won't do is merge the accounts, that much you can be sure of.

What you do with it is up to you. If they have some ships you don't you might want to keep it active, otherwise you might want to strip it down and transfer what you can.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Why would you ever mention that here? you should delete this thread or at least change what you wrote because selling accounts or giving them away or even letting other people play them is not allowed but honestly, i don't really think they care or would do anything about it. Just be quite about it.

Sorry to hear about your cousin, many blessings to you and the family.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I would err on the side of caution, and... never mention this situation again.

You may not be doing anything wrong, but the slighest misinterpretation on Cryptic's end, and you could wind up having both accounts banned. At least don't touch his account, at all, unless support gives you express permission to do so. So, no logging in with his account either, even if just for 'harmless' stuff.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Something like that - although just to be on the safe side I would wait until you actually have it, and contact them from that account.

ok I will do that then thanks
    I wouldn't contact support about it, it's possible they would lock the account if you did which would make any items that are tradable unrecoverable. I'll admit I haven't throughly read the STO TOS, however it's pretty standard in other MMOs for accounts to be non-transferable even when the owner passes away.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Isn't it also pretty standard for people to have more than one account? Not, say, to cheat a system, but to have more options? For instance, a player who has a LTS on one account and over 400 points in endeavors decides to level a character the "old fashioned way without bonuses, so creates a second account with a second email address...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Condolences on your loss; very sorry to hear that. As far as everything else goes, some things are better left unsaid. Do what you need to do and don't talk about it. And definitely don't post about it on the forms (this thread).
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Isn't it also pretty standard for people to have more than one account?
    That depends on the game, the only MMO I've ever felt the need to have multiple accounts on was Star Wars Galaxies, and only because accounts were limited to only one character per server, with one extra slot granted if your character became a Jedi (which was a monstrous grind). Later it was changed to two character slots per server and Jedi didn't award one anymore, but anyone who unlocked Jedi before that change kept the extra slot AND gained the new slot that was given to everyone. At one time I had three separate accounts all with active subscriptions, so I was paying $45 a month (while only making like $7.50 an hour at McDonalds) just to have the ability to play three different characters.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I'm of the mind to say "let the lawyers finish their thing, then decide what to do."
    Honestly I think this is a bit of a grey area.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    edited August 2021
    Yeah. We've asked Kael to weigh in on this one. Sorry about your cousin.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Perhaps it is not the same thing, but I have two separate lifetime accounts on console. One for my main gt and one for alt. I don't see the problem here, either you play on both accounts or just delete one of them.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Word from Kael at the moment is... pretty much a grey area and probably should not talk openly about it for the time being.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.