test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just curious why are so many jem'hadar pheenin?

pino31pino31 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
Everytime I'm in a busy social zone (this time is ds9 and is often where i see them but other zones too), it seems like all the Jem'Hadar there are battle fatigued or whatever you call it when they run out of white.

Isn't white sold by Loriss on ds9 for free?
I just want to go get some myself and trade it to them or something. Like "here first time's free" lolol

To all Jem'Hadar characters, Tasha said it best:
"You have to understand that drugs - can make you feel good. They put you on top of the world. You're happy, sure of yourself, in control." -Tasha Yar.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Well, the Jem's using the white, pretty much as food, and life support. Without it, they die. Not exactly cocaine or heroine, where stopping that stuff is a GOOD thing.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Also, many of those J'H are simply there to unlock ships or are used as mules or crafting platforms or whatever and are not used on ground missions so the players don't bother to keep them on the drug.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,019 Community Moderator
    Yea... I see Jem'Hadar going through withdrawl pretty much all the time. Almost like they decided to just not do the last mission of the Gamma Arc, which negates the need to keep a supply of white on you so you don't get a debuff.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I see this all the time too. I tend to ignore it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Also many Jem's are created by either vets that are just making farming alts and don't care, or new players that want to start high level and just don't know or understand the White requirement.

If I just go by the number of Jem's I see what are Kecetrel starved, it looks like they are used almost exclusively for farming alts. I feel like a unicorn because I have 2 Jem's that are actually progressed through the story and built up. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... I see Jem'Hadar going through withdrawl pretty much all the time. Almost like they decided to just not do the last mission of the Gamma Arc, which negates the need to keep a supply of white on you so you don't get a debuff.

I suspect that, like me, a lot of them simply cannot stand using the things on the ground and a lot of the Gamma arc are ground missions. A lot of people probably never did any of the Gamma arc missions with them.

For instance I only keep my one Gamma recruit around (just making it and grinding it though the tutorial was so odious that I never made one for my second account) because there are some few very long term things left on the transponder that do not take doing ground missions to do them, and also just in case there is a toadlocked ship that comes out that I really want for a faux-Vorta that needs unlocking. If push comes to shove at some point and I really need another character slot at a time I don't have the cash to get one (like for a new type of recruiting event or whatever) then it is out the door with no regrets since it is useless to me besides the two functions I mentioned (though the bugship they come with is nice for a T5u).
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    It's not the ketracel that is causing the fatigue... Waiting out the 20 hours is grueling, man... Imagine being on your feet for 20 hours straight... Just so you can unlock some TRIBBLE...

Whew!

:wink:
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I guess I have to be the one to ask. WTF is pheenin? Obviously I get it in context, but I've never heard that before.
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    I specifically built a jem from the first go around that is huge, overweight and has the withdrawal issues so that he walks with that almost crippled hunched over walk.

Looks right with the character.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    If you complete the Gamma story arc, the Ketracel-deprivation penalty and the animation go away permanently. (You can still use it to get a bonus, but the default state becomes the minimum.)

Apparently you're seeing a lot of people who have failed to do that.

There are a lot of people who only have J'H to do the Gamma recruit crafting, doffing, etc., and the space requirements to get benefits for the characters they actually play. If they do not play them as a character what is the point of doing anything about the Ketracel addiction since they will never actually use them in a way in which the withdrawal will have any impact at all?

If the Ketracel deprivation impacted the ship performance (since they are needed to unlock some of the Dominion ships for playable characters) or doffing, or if the missions leading up to breaking the addiction had no ground parts at all it might be different, but for many it is a case of parking the things somewhere and rarely if ever moving them from that spot while the player does the "off camera" game elements with the crafting, doffing, or whatever window over the J'H so they don't have to look at it.

If the clicky goals did not take so long to complete then most of the stagger-and-sway brigade would probably be long gone unless the player is keeping them in case of new crafting/doffing/admiralty/toadlocked ships/whatever things turning up in the future.

The best solution would be to open up the microfaction to Vorta and possibly some of the other Gamma quadrant races that would be eligible for Gamma recruit and ship unlocking, if they did that most of the Ketracel zombies would in all likelihood vanish the next time a Gamma recruit event rolled around.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I guess I have to be the one to ask. WTF is pheenin? Obviously I get it in context, but I've never heard that before.
    I think it's a corruption of "fiending", a term originally used for someone going through heroin withdrawal and since adapted to mean just really wanting something, usually a particular food.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Yes, you can get Ketracel for free if you take the J'H to DS9 and run around the ring to the Vorta to get it. But why bother doing that if it is not being used to do scenarios at all? And if the player is not using them for any scenarios then that means the time it would take to do the arc is irrelevant.

If it wasn't for Gamma recruit benefits for the other factions there would be a whole lot fewer J'H created because from what is said in chat and in various threads in this forum and elsewhere they are strongly disliked by at least three types of players: canon sticklers who want to play the Dominion setup as shown in DS9 (all officers were Vorta, J'H could only rise to the equivalent of noncoms), those who object to genderlocked races/classes/factions, and roleplayers who just cannot (or don't like to) get into the things' heads, and probably other reasons beyond those three.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I could never get past Tenebris Torment (or whatever it's called) because of the timed jumping required, so I could never do the final mission on my Jem Hadaar (since it won't let me skip to it)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    discojer wrote: »
    I could never get past Tenebris Torment (or whatever it's called) because of the timed jumping required, so I could never do the final mission on my Jem Hadaar (since it won't let me skip to it)

"Dust to Dust" from the Delta arc has the same kind of jumping garbage. It amazes me that so many online games have that nonsense when internet connections are often too variable to do them. That is especially true in areas were the only broadband is cable isp, since whole neighborhoods share one pipe random spikes are inevitable.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I simply can't be bothered with the white.
  • Options
    kaloriaa4kaloriaa4 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I wish I could give white away. I get 20 vials of white every time I do a DS9 mission. They are taking up inventory space. I'm considering making a Jem'hadar just to store white. I really wish you can give them away.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I remade my Gamme recruit. Before, it was a standard one, but I got me the C store one. Wonder if I'll notice a difference.
    kaloriaa4 wrote: »
    I wish I could give white away. I get 20 vials of white every time I do a DS9 mission. They are taking up inventory space. I'm considering making a Jem'hadar just to store white. I really wish you can give them away.

Ehhh, just trash 'em. You don't need 'em anymore, I wager. Break the habit, don't become a Jemhadar Charlie Sheen, yo.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    queenfred#4233 queenfred Member Posts: 5 New User
    You can still use up your white during ground missions. You just don't HAVE to any more.
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    You see it because one of the parts of doing the recruitment is 20 hours of playtime.. so people login and go do something else as the timer runs.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    jagdtier44 wrote: »
    You see it because one of the parts of doing the recruitment is 20 hours of playtime.. so people login and go do something else as the timer runs.
    Which seems weird to me, because leveling your Gamma Recruit also gets you mark boxes across your account for everyone above lvl 20. Then again, maybe I just make an overabundance of alts...

The jumping in Tenebris Torment wasn't really that bad - not nearly as annoying, in my opinion, as navigating the tunnels in the section named for a description in Zork (and one that I had actually muttered to myself before reading the title - "well, here I am, in a maze of twisty tunnels, all alike..."). And while I will be upgrading the Jem's ship soon (I'm working my old Klink recruit through the Civil War right now), that bugship is actually kind of fun to fly in the space-combat sections.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    The Tenebris jumping can be difficult, but there are tricks to make it easier such as angling your camera down so you have an easier time knowing where the edges are.

Its honestly a LOT easier than the Dust to Dust thing.

And as mentioned, the only reason the Jem'Hadar have the 20 hour timegate is because they could potentially just claim rewards instantly, thus a potential exploit. Make Jem'Hadar, collect, refine, recycle, rince and repeat.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I rarely play my Jem'Hadar. Only created him for the (previous) recruitment event.

So I don't really care what state he's in.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    I rarely play my Jem'Hadar. Only created him for the (previous) recruitment event.

So I don't really care what state he's in.

I at least played through the whole story up through some of the early DSC content. But I prefer my non Dominion because I kinda prefer playing female characters. Scorch isn't a bad Jem'Hadar though. Things just... tend to blow up around him. ;)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    The same reason we are falling all over ourselves thinking up novel ways of vacuuming up Dilithium. We have a core of people 'playing' this game as a full time job collecting/refining Dilithium. Once they suck the usefullness out of a Character, a Zathras they become.

'Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Zathras have sad life, probably have sad death, but at least there is symmetry.'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    chiperionchiperion Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The same reason we are falling all over ourselves thinking up novel ways of vacuuming up Dilithium. We have a core of people 'playing' this game as a full time job collecting/refining Dilithium. Once they suck the usefullness out of a Character, a Zathras they become.

'Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Zathras have sad life, probably have sad death, but at least there is symmetry.'

I do, in fact, have a Michael Garibaldi (my most advanced FedTac; AoY) and a Zathras (RomTac Alien, Delta Recruit). The latter isn't going to see a lot of action now that he's unlocked everything that he could and I was all too aware of that going in, hence the name and looks.
This discussion has been closed.