test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium Exchange Maxed Out

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,048 Community Moderator
    Well... part of the problem has been having to work from home due to the pandemic. Another is that they have been spending a lot of time on content outside of ships. How much that has affected ship releases I don't know.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,599 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... part of the problem has been having to work from home due to the pandemic. Another is that they have been spending a lot of time on content outside of ships. How much that has affected ship releases I don't know.

It does seem like STO has had a run of sales and big $ making drops lately. I was thinking they where trying to get some money in the bank before the normal summer slow down. Then today I hear Cryptic just lost a big project. I mean I know they haven't done a ton of new new stuff... but they have been machine gunning the mudd promos ect the last bit.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,048 Community Moderator
    Is it connected? No idea. It is true that Magic isn't going to be released after beta and is shutting down. Could it be pressure from PWE to recoup development costs? Maybe. Could the Big Cheese of Cryptic have told the teams for Neverwinter, Champions, and STO to try and recoup development costs? Maybe. Truth is we don't know. Hell... might not even be connected at all and is just a coincidence. *shrug* There's just not enough evidence to support anything really.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    husanakx wrote: »
    If 350 was the ideal $$ in their pocket sweet spot that is exactly where things would be sitting.
    Except this wouldn't be true in any situation except one where cryptic is wholly in control of the prices, and there is no free market system, as in any open system like the dil-ex player's perception on values will shift it from whatever the Developer's perception on value is.

That the dil exchange is controlled by players is an illusion. Sure we buy and we sell... but Cryptic is 100% in control of what in game is available to purchase with both.

Cryptic is and has always been in control of the pricing. If they want the value of Zen to rise all they have to do is drop a sale. They could destroy the value of dil anytime they want by throwing up a 30% off sale... or by doing a one week re run of a time gated promo. If they want to likewise make dil valuable... they can do anything they want, as they have just shown if they can drop vanity shields into the dil store. Or they can steer clear of dil creation events for a month or two.

The control has always been theirs. I mean its debatable if they have had much of a plan or not in that regard... but they are the ones that determine the value of both Zen and Dil. As they are the only ones with any control over what either is good for.

• Options
    Cryptic can influence the exchange rates, but that's about as far as their control goes. Its still players who actually determine just how much the exchange fluctuates. Back when fleet starbases first came out... we saw prices as low as 87/1 or so. But that was because demand was really high for Dilithium.

So it is still player driven. Cryptic only gives a nudge with sales and events, and players react. They can't just say "We want it at X" and flip a switch to have a sale to get it to a specific point. Its supply and demand. The only way they'd have "100% control" is if players weren't part of the equasion whatsoever in setting the zen/dilithium prices.

Sales, new releases, and increased DL suppy tends to make Zen more valuable, thus prices go up.
    Fleet holdings and Phoenix Box events tend to make Dilithium more valuable, thus prices go down.

All are reactions from players to Cryptic's moves. Players are still setting the prices.

Recent events caused a Perfect Storm for the DL Exchange. We've already known about the Mudd Pack, which by far was the most desirable yet due to the sheer number of ships that can be account unlocked, then we get a new release of two ships that can be bundled with three lobi outfits and a lobi weapon AS ACCOUNT UNLOCKS...

Things just kinda spiraled from there from the sheer amount of demand for Zen.
  • Options
    The decline has been going on since before the pandemic. I think the bigger issue is that they had pretty much run out of old Trek ships to make besides like the one nacelle Wolf 359 ships, and we have a wide range of Cryptic original designs for most everything. I think that there just aren't many ships left to make at this point. Hence them finally making T6 versions of some of the older ships in the last year.

Though it has caused them to shift into putting more money into revamping older content like the YoK updates, patrol/TFO revamps, and various misc mission updates to the early Fed stuff, as well as missions associated with recruits.

I believe the pandemic probably is why we are seeing some older ship updates. Its easier to update old models at home then it is to create brand new ones.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    Cryptic can influence the exchange rates, but that's about as far as their control goes. Its still players who actually determine just how much the exchange fluctuates. Back when fleet starbases first came out... we saw prices as low as 87/1 or so. But that was because demand was really high for Dilithium.

So it is still player driven. Cryptic only gives a nudge with sales and events, and players react. They can't just say "We want it at X" and flip a switch to have a sale to get it to a specific point. Its supply and demand. The only way they'd have "100% control" is if players weren't part of the equasion whatsoever in setting the zen/dilithium prices.

Sales, new releases, and increased DL suppy tends to make Zen more valuable, thus prices go up.
    Fleet holdings and Phoenix Box events tend to make Dilithium more valuable, thus prices go down.

All are reactions from players to Cryptic's moves. Players are still setting the prices.

Recent events caused a Perfect Storm for the DL Exchange. We've already known about the Mudd Pack, which by far was the most desirable yet due to the sheer number of ships that can be account unlocked, then we get a new release of two ships that can be bundled with three lobi outfits and a lobi weapon AS ACCOUNT UNLOCKS...

Yes I agree.

While I'd welcome a new Tier 3 Holding (some wouldn't) so it's why I've though maybe it might be better and easier to expand the existing ones to Tier 4. As it would require less map updates, except perhaps a few more minor ones depending on holding. Example: They could on New Romulus Embassy let a Turbolift visit the Reman Caverns directly below, and to the side of the embassy add a small tunnel to the Turbolift location. You can see the Reman Caverns below Staging against the concrete Wall beside the Embassy. Slowly expanding one from Tier 3 to Tier 4 every year, or a few other ideas...

While I don't like the following idea (suggested by very few) to move to account-wide refinement; for those who like updating and growing all their toons it hurt. Still most don't use more than 12-14 they typically play, so people farming on 20-40 or more, is a bit excessive...

I'd be OK if they limited a 96,000 - 112,000 (max refinement) per account. Yet it need to exclude 500 DIL per character (Lifer) bonus. Mostly they have to ensure each character still could only refine only 8,000 per day towards any max limit, excluding any Lifer bonus. Otherwise, if people have 5/10/25+ million backlog on a single toon , they make the problem worse greatly increasing what they could refine on a single character.

Still I'd rather they NOT do that at all, why I'd rather see expanding Fleet Holding Tier 3 to 4, or perhaps even another new one in time.

I also mentioned the idea of a Ferengi Business Woman, in my first of two posts on Page 10 of this thread. It might also see a encourage Ferengi to slowly fix and improvement of Drozana Station as well!

The best method is slowly introducing various options in stages, including a few more Phoenix options... As many have said, our DZE was very healthy for the vast majority of the first 10 years, and only recently got maxed in Year 11.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    If done right... maybe. Although in theory we already have that kind of thing in STO in the form of the Phoenix Box. Granted it is only loaded with old event rewards and the best frickin' Tech Upgrade in the game. The Phoenix Box is due for an update though. Maybe they could add some stuff from old lockboxes or more old event rewards.

like highly sought traits, and equipment. have you priced an Echo-Papa drone lately? but i still think that needing to "fuel" your ship with Dilithium will put a permanent sink that will help draw it down. Ditto reloading torpedoes. Maybe even a revamp of torpedos so you have launchers, and then you load out your magazine with a mix, maybe 20% plasma 50 percent quantum and 30% gravimetric. you can price the torpedo based on DPS.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    If done right... maybe. Although in theory we already have that kind of thing in STO in the form of the Phoenix Box. Granted it is only loaded with old event rewards and the best frickin' Tech Upgrade in the game. The Phoenix Box is due for an update though. Maybe they could add some stuff from old lockboxes or more old event rewards.

like highly sought traits, and equipment. have you priced an Echo-Papa drone lately? but i still think that needing to "fuel" your ship with Dilithium will put a permanent sink that will help draw it down. Ditto reloading torpedoes. Maybe even a revamp of torpedos so you have launchers, and then you load out your magazine with a mix, maybe 20% plasma 50 percent quantum and 30% gravimetric. you can price the torpedo based on DPS.

That's heading towards mobile game territory where you need to buy oil, gems, or goofballs to keep playing more than x minutes a day.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree. "Resupplying" your ship at this point is the wrong way to go. And the bigger problem is what happens if you DON'T resupply. Stranded wherever and unable to proceed. Its basically punishing at that point. More likely to drive players away.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »

Yes I agree.

While I'd welcome a new Tier 3 Holding (some wouldn't) so it's why I've though maybe it might be better and easier to expand the existing ones to Tier 4. As it would require less map updates, except perhaps a few more minor ones depending on holding. Example: They could on New Romulus Embassy let a Turbolift visit the Reman Caverns directly below, and to the side of the embassy add a small tunnel to the Turbolift location. You can see the Reman Caverns below Staging against the concrete Wall beside the Embassy. Slowly expanding one from Tier 3 to Tier 4 every year, or a few other ideas...

While I don't like the following idea (suggested by very few) to move to account-wide refinement; for those who like updating and growing all their toons it hurt. Still most don't use more than 12-14 they typically play, so people farming on 20-40 or more, is a bit excessive...

I'd be OK if they limited a 96,000 - 112,000 (max refinement) per account. Yet it need to exclude 500 DIL per character (Lifer) bonus. Mostly they have to ensure each character still could only refine only 8,000 per day towards any max limit, excluding any Lifer bonus. Otherwise, if people have 5/10/25+ million backlog on a single toon , they make the problem worse greatly increasing what they could refine on a single character.

Still I'd rather they NOT do that at all, why I'd rather see expanding Fleet Holding Tier 3 to 4, or perhaps even another new one in time.

I also mentioned the idea of a Ferengi Business Woman, in my first of two posts on Page 10 of this thread. It might also see a encourage Ferengi to slowly fix and improvement of Drozana Station as well!

The best method is slowly introducing various options in stages, including a few more Phoenix options... As many have said, our DZE was very healthy for the vast majority of the first 10 years, and only recently got maxed in Year 11.

Since that New Romulus storyline I've always thought, & hoped, Cryptic could expand upon the Reman side of life especially with that big chasm giving more a dungeon-crawl type of content possibly. That Obisek character fascinates me too.
  • Options

No matter how any of us dress it up with pretty words, Cryptic controls the supply of all things in STO with drop-rates. Item drops, quality of items, winning & losing rates when gambling, etcetera etcetera. To paraphrase The Outer Limits: "Cryptic controls the horizontal & the vertical." Players merely plan within the lines & supply the supply.

The Dilithium Exchange doesn't have rates from 1-500 available all the time as an open market determined by the players. It shows a sliver of available exchange rates, for example: 493-500 probably for stability & control reasons.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »

No matter how any of us dress it up with pretty words, Cryptic controls the supply of all things in STO with drop-rates. Item drops, quality of items, winning & losing rates when gambling, etcetera etcetera. To paraphrase The Outer Limits: "Cryptic controls the horizontal & the vertical." Players merely plan within the lines & supply the supply.

The Dilithium Exchange doesn't have rates from 1-500 available all the time as an open market determined by the players. It shows a sliver of available exchange rates, for example: 493-500 probably for stability & control reasons.

1-24 isn't even a possible range. The lowest you can go is 25 on the exchange.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    @annemarie30

That would just tank torpedo builds. People with all beam or cannon builds seem to do all right (probably better). Maybe they could invent mining rigs that broke down all the time and cost you a lot of dilithium to maintain and people might pay 1 zen to 500 dilithium happily for all your hardship.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Man, this would make the game such a chore to play. There are ways to add Dilithium Sinks without adding micromanagement tools designed to annoy players into leaving.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Man, this would make the game such a chore to play. There are ways to add Dilithium Sinks without adding micromanagement tools designed to annoy players into leaving.

Yeah, this is extreme - and would really hurt the more casuals players way more than the ones actually causing the "problem".
    At most, what I would go for is a repair cost, instead of the stupid tokens or having to visit a shipyard, (or the infirmary for captain's injuries)... and even that would be better off costing Energy Credits instead of dilithium.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited July 2021

Terrible idea, sorry. There's little difference between this dil tax on various aspects and simply lowering dil payouts. Which is more palatable and less of a chore? Yeah just lowering payouts.

The other issue of paying for torpedoes? Horrible horrible idea. You'd end every single torpedo boat overnight. And for what? Torpedoes are not some magic Iwin button, just a niche alternative to energy weapons. Further, the sheer amount of torpedoes shot during a battle due to team differences at higher difficulties means even if you wanted to suffer the torp tax, you have no idea if you are getting into a 15 minute ISA or a 150 second ISA. Then there are the different torpedo types like a fast recharge lobi torp versus the pointlessly long cooldown of tricobalts. There are just so many problems with this idea.
    Post edited by foxrockssocks on
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11490363-the-sale-of-the-summer!

So a second major sale, shortly after a dilithium bonus 'event', and the vanity shields are apparently account-wide unlocks, why is it that the only expected outcome will be a raised cap with instantly maxed 750 dil/ex?

edit: seems vanity shields may still be character bound after opening the account-wide box, according to one reddit user. Can't trust anything anymore between the endless typos, omissions, and misleading stuff.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    S.O.S.!! the dilex got to 499 time for a HUGE SALE!!!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11490363-the-sale-of-the-summer!

So a second major sale, shortly after a dilithium bonus 'event', and the vanity shields are apparently account-wide unlocks, why is it that the only expected outcome will be a raised cap with instantly maxed 750 dil/ex?

edit: seems vanity shields may still be character bound after opening the account-wide box, according to one reddit user. Can't trust anything anymore between the endless typos, omissions, and misleading stuff.

account wide to move it to a toon of your choice, then toon locked once opened. and you cant sell it on the exchange.

Yep, that's most likely how it's gonna work.
    And it's time for the Summer Event: when have there NOT been a "major sale"? This thing was probably planned at the beginning of the year, especially considering it's going live on console too, and that means that they needed prior approval from both Microsoft and Sony.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »

account wide to move it to a toon of your choice, then toon locked once opened. and you cant sell it on the exchange.

Yep, that's most likely how it's gonna work.
    And it's time for the Summer Event: when have there NOT been a "major sale"? This thing was probably planned at the beginning of the year, especially considering it's going live on console too, and that means that they needed prior approval from both Microsoft and Sony.

Undoubtedly. But that doesn't make this any less disappointing.

Oh, absolutely not! And you know me well enough by now to know that I'm the first in line when it comes to bringing rightful critique to the table.
    In this case, though, to make it seem like it was an impromptu decision made solely to tank the DilEx once again is unjust.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    Oh, absolutely not! And you know me well enough by now to know that I'm the first in line when it comes to bringing rightful critique to the table.
    In this case, though, to make it seem like it was an impromptu decision made solely to tank the DilEx once again is unjust.

Yea... they schedule sales WELL in advance. Especially if they're associated with any seasonal events. I have said it so many times recently I'm not gonna bother repeating myself over the Control Room Belief some people have. Its unfortunate timing. Period. NO MALICE OF ANY KIND! *passes out from frustration over the same arguments over and over and over and over...*
  • Options

Yea... they schedule sales WELL in advance. Especially if they're associated with any seasonal events. I have said it so many times recently I'm not gonna bother repeating myself over the Control Room Belief some people have. Its unfortunate timing. Period. NO MALICE OF ANY KIND! *passes out from frustration over the same arguments over and over and over and over...*

When such a circumstance happens in my life with people & chit-chat I call it Recycled Conversations.
  • Options
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    When such a circumstance happens in my life with people & chit-chat I call it Recycled Conversations.

You'd think I'd be used to it as a Trek fan, considering some of the arguments against new things are all recycled from Enterprise arguments. Kelvin Timeline and Discovery ended up getting the same arguments used against them as Enterprise did.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User

Account-bound fully it seems, so I still think their goal is 750 dil-ex, consistent with jacking up the prices of everything gradually, without (IMO) actually giving a game experience worth any of it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    The mere announcement of this sale was enough to jump start the DilEx again. And it will help again the next time they run it - if they run it again - because there will be those that weren't around and/or couldn't afford to buy even one shield during this week.
    As for the prices, as long as they continue to sell T6 ships for the usual 3k... who cares? Bundles have always been pricey and with the Mudd's Market being the way it is, it's no surprise when they continue to be pricey - or become even more so.

I seriously do not understand the need to complain about EVERYTHING just for the sake of complaining.
    Again: I'm the first in line when it comes to critizing them when they do TRIBBLE things, but in this case I have no complaint whatsoever. On the contrary, they acted quickly and with something that many will be able to enjoy.

Instead of crying "doom", how about we give them time and see what they're planning to do moving forward, uhm?
    Because actions speaks louder than words, that's true... but you cannot judge something that hasn't even happened yet. This society is TRIBBLE enough without advocating to move into a Minority Report sort of life.
    kv1Ohsx.png

This discussion has been closed.