test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mudd's Into Darkness and Beyond Choice Pack!

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    strathkin wrote: »
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Vulcan_Experimental_Scout_Vessel

Well all my toons have the Red Matter Capacitor as well.

Still the real benefit to the Vulcan Experimental Scout is the [Quad Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher] it comes with. It has a similar (short) recharge time to the Kelvin Torpedo, and yet it's really the only Quad Torpedo. So that does have some appeal to it for sure, aside from the Console depending on the player.

So there is perhaps a few tough choices for some people, still it seems like a nice offering!

Ok, that's interesting, i wasnt convinced on this ship, but i dont like the Vengance too much, also, it's easier for me to get that lobi ship than the vulcan one...

The Vengeance does have the bonus of unlocking it's black hull materials for the JJPrise, which is something to consider if you use that ship at all. Now that I've checked the console and torpedo the Jellyfish comes with I am slightly more interested in it than I was before, but I'm pretty sure I would get more use out of the Vengeance's goodies. If the Vengeance was released today I have no doubt that it would be Promo instead of Lobi, Cryptic have probably been kicking themselves all this time for not monetizing it better.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    I don't like the direction the Mudd packs are taking, if there are 8 items you should be allowed to choose 4, not 3. The ships are the only items in the pack worth having it becomes a case of which of the four ships do I not want?

And this doesn't even begin to address the elephant in the room of not having anywhere near enough ship slots for any of these ships so for a lot of them once I get the mastery they're going to get discarded.

• Options
    I don't like the direction the Mudd packs are taking, if there are 8 items you should be allowed to choose 4, not 3. The ships are the only items in the pack worth having it becomes a case of which of the four ships do I not want?

And this doesn't even begin to address the elephant in the room of not having anywhere near enough ship slots for any of these ships so for a lot of them once I get the mastery they're going to get discarded.

At least you can do that freely with account-unlock ships! You're truly hosed if all your active ships come from fleet, lobi, lockbox, or promo sources. You keep them and buy more ship slots, or discharge them and permanently lose access without buying them all over again.

There's also drydock slots, they allow you to free up a ship slot without losing the ship.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    Buying additional ship slots becomes very expensive indeed when you have a dozen or so active characters, so unless account-wide ship slots become a thing it's a non-starter.

Whenever there's new ships a double-XP event becomes practically mandatory to master these new offerings.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Eh... not really mandatory. It helps, but run the right patrols and you can master a ship in 2-3 patrols easy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Eh... not really mandatory. It helps, but run the right patrols and you can master a ship in 2-3 patrols easy.

It is when you have a dozen+ characters to cycle through per ship, it all adds up.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited June 2021

That would cost $200 at 50% off. I prefer the $150 price point.

Unlike lock box, promo and lobi ships these can be reclaimed infinity times so dismissing them doesn't hurt and there's no need for even dry dock slots for them.

• Options

It is when you have a dozen+ characters to cycle through per ship, it all adds up.

I have a decent number of characters but I would never grind out every trait I have available for all of them, I only unlock the ones I actually plan on using for that character.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Only interested in the Kelvin D7, which for whatever reason in the past thought it lacked any kind of cloak, but it definitely has battle cloak.

Again though, the value decreases too much at just 50% off when already owning D4x, T'Laru & Vengeance to fill in the rest with ship x upgrades & the Jellyfish ship, and I don't care for that Fed ship skin the D7 is paired with either.

As it is now I don't care enough at half off. At 75% probably though I doubt it'll be placed for that. Still hoping for a 75% off on the J'H Strike Ship bundle though since last time that was only 50%.

At this point, way too many ships, way too much grind, not enough fun stuff to do with any of it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options

I have a decent number of characters but I would never grind out every trait I have available for all of them, I only unlock the ones I actually plan on using for that character.

Same here. If I'm not using cannons I don't need Withering Barrage, if I'm not flying a carrier I don't need pets traits, if I'm not flying a science ship I don't need exotic traits, etc.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    husanakx wrote: »
    So the first bundle with 4 ships.... oh my the greed of this company knows no bounds.
    Yes, its greedy to offer a bunch of ships at drastically reduced cost compared to the previously available means to get them.

Because making things cheaper is the definition of greed nowadays it seems.

I think his focus is that to get all four ships, you have to buy the bundle twice.
    Better option would have been to make it possible to add the fourth ship for an additional $25.
    For me, I can go with the two choice boxes and decide btw the Vengy and Jellyfish since i have them both either on toon (Vengy) or in a unopened promo box (Jelly), and really not concerned about account unlock for them..
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    Better option would have been to make it possible to add the fourth ship for an additional $25.
    That wouldn't make sense at all.

A normal zen store T6 ship is 30 dollars. lockbox ships alone cost anywhere from 200-250 dollars, due to the number of keys one needs to buy to get a ship.

Individual ships on the Mudd's store are around 170 dollars at full price, even if they gave you a 50% discount on that price to add the 4th onto this pack it would still be an extra 85 dollars.

As long as they keep the $150 pick three option, it would be nice of Cryptic to also offer a $200 super-deluxe pick four option. They offered the $300 added-pile-of-junk Legendary pack version so there is precedent.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    To be fair, I'm not going to pretend like I don't get/understand where people are coming from that think $150 is a lot of money to spend on a video game. It is, and I get it. I also understand that you would prefer to be able to buy the specific ships you want rather than having to buy the entire pack (or buy it twice to get them all).

But while I do understand all of that, this is unfortunately a "it is what it is" situation. It doesn't work that way, sorry. And even though $150 is a large amount to spend on a game, the breakdown in value per ship is still really good.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User

Still the real benefit to the Vulcan Experimental Scout is the [Quad Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher] it comes with. It has a similar (short) recharge time to the Kelvin Torpedo, and yet it's really the only Quad Torpedo. So that does have some appeal to it for sure, aside from the Console depending on the player.

So there is perhaps a few tough choices for some people, still it seems like a nice offering!

But that quad torpedo doesn't do damage anywhere near what most photon torpedos do though =/

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    I can see what they're doing with offering the Kelvin Connie despite it already being in the 10th anniversary bundle and rendering 1/3 of Kelvin pack 1 worthless, because combined with the other two ships in the pack and the Vengeance it completes the Alternate Timelines Set- presumably all 4 ships can be claimed on the same character?

The choice really comes down to either the heavy destroyer or the Vulcan scout vessel for the third.

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021

But that quad torpedo doesn't do damage anywhere near what most photon torpedos do though =/

Not sure who told you that? I've heard they can be quite, if not extremely good, with similar short recharge time to the Kelvin Torps; weapon FX are a bit different. So I included a bit more detail below I could quickly gather since STO wiki doesn't have a page showing them.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11306933

"Space Weapon – Quad Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher
    The Vulcan Experimental Scout Vessel additionally comes with a Quad Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher. This weapon fires like a standard photon torpedo launcher, but with a higher than normal recharge rate."

I've heard Quad Micro Photon DPS is very good, and it's recharge time identical to the Kelvin, and very similar DPS as well. I know some in the Armada like it very much, and weapons aren't limited to the Jellyfish either.

Note: here is the initial stat's but (believe shown at Mk X) not Mk XII before you click upgrade as they auto upgrade increasing DPS to 1272 based on Skill Choices made of course. That also doesn't account for Tactical Consoles for Photon's (shown in System Space) and while most I know generally choose Improved Projectile Training, that will vary based on each Captain. :)

S03fzSR.png
    ╘ sadly the STO Wiki doesn't have a page linking them, and I'm not creating it either.

My Kelvin Torps at Mk XV Epic show approximately 1850 DPS based on my current Captain's (skill choices) and Ship Consoles in Sector space; in System space they jump to over 2300+ DPS. That's also just a single Tactical - Counter Command Multi-Conduit Energy Relay, from Surface Tension (last Solanae mission) too. If you had 2 or 3 Torp consoles it likely go even higher.

I also believe the Quad Torps (shown linked) above also reflect ground, or sector space as most often people are at Port where consoles choices aren't included.

So people may want to rethink them... ...yet everybody has own approaches, skills, consoles, etc...

Just some may want to *think* or perhaps not discount the Jellyfish, I've heard a fun ship to fly too.

:o
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    Question is, is the torpedo launcher enough of a reason to choose the Jellyfish over the Kelvin heavy destroyer considering all my builds are focused on energy weapons?
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    Yes all very good things many will need to think about for sure; for those considering the Mudd deal.

I believe the [Quad Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher] may have even slightly higher DPS than the Kelvin Timeline Photon once fully upgraded in Quality.

Anyways, just depends on what you favor, or your build utilizes for various Captains.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    I got the red matter capacitor as a pre-order bonus back in the day, so that's a non-issue for me. The only part of the Jellyfish that I would consider using is the console for my science captain since it sounds like it's basically an extra GW, but that's just not enough to put it above the Vengeance for me. I don't like the Vengeance design but the trait and JJPrise hull material unlock are useful, console could be fun in certain builds, and I might some day decide to use it (especially if a Legendary comes out one day with a better appearance but worse boff layout). The D4x and Romulan carrier finish the JJ console set if I ever decide to play around with that again, and if the carrier looks decent with the assimilated shield visuals I might use it as my borg ship. The JJD7 will become my klingon recruit's new main ship for now, and since the Einstein is included I might try and come up with a new character idea for that. At Christmas time if I have extra money and they do another 75% off sale then I MIGHT grab the Jellyfish at that time, but I'm definitely not grabbing it this time around when the other ships are much more useful to me.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    Well, after seeing this Bundle's Packs, I decided to check out how they work now, with the fly everything change. I checked my Klingon Recruit to see what Admiralty Cards I had for the Stealing Time Bundle. I had none. I learned that you need to select each of the Choices in a Pack. You can fly that ship and get the Admiralty Card. Learn something new.

Speaking about that, after 8 years playing the game I realized you can keep Commodities (Antigens, etc.) in the Bank and they are still available to use for Doff Missions.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    The vengeance is a more powerful ship to fly compared to the jellyfish. Both ships are fun to fly have tested both. Both are good and has it pro's and con's. The jellyfish maneuverability is excellent.

JJD7, Connie/D4x/T'Laru and the jellyfish will be my choice. I choose the jellyfish over the vengeance is due to that the jellyfish is so much more expensive to get than the vengeance. Later if i need, i can get the vengeance with lobi. I would not be flying the vengeance on all the characters as it would be boring.

Prediction: This bundle is probably going to sell like HOT CAKE'S a bit less than the https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/10th_Anniversary_Legendary_Starship_Bundles

Edited, found the rerun bundle.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    Last year, they reran the whole year's Mudd Bundles all at once. Whether or not they'll do it again, and whether or not it'll include all Mudd bundles or just the most recent year's bundles, or whatever, that's purely speculative. Mudd was brand new last year, which is a generally useless sample size of one. No trends can be inferred by it.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Zen_Store#Mudd.27s_Market
    When did they reran? If you scroll to bundles i don't see any rerun. Yes, it is still new and no trends can be inferred but so far no rerun as far as i notice.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
This discussion has been closed.