test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Did anyone else find the new episode boring?

124»

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I played the first one today. It was way too long - over an hour. I do not have that kind of time. There was an obvious point where it should have been split into another episode. Then you can have two 30 minute episodes. Players complain about not enough episodes. Well, they could have doubled their output right there.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. IMO, and this is completely subjective but still, the perfect mission length is around 20 minutes. If you have a long story you want to tell that's fine, but just have it be a new mission. They did this perfectly well with one of the KDF missions in the fek'ihri arc where one episode ends with you fighting on the bridge of a ship and then the NPC give you a new mission right there on that same map.

That said, until they change their current 'mission that never ends' style an easy way out is to simply take you break after a new map change. The game uses every map change as a save point, so if you just finished one map and load into another you are safe to stop and come back later.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I played the first one today. It was way too long - over an hour. I do not have that kind of time. There was an obvious point where it should have been split into another episode. Then you can have two 30 minute episodes. Players complain about not enough episodes. Well, they could have doubled their output right there.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. IMO, and this is completely subjective but still, the perfect mission length is around 20 minutes. If you have a long story you want to tell that's fine, but just have it be a new mission. They did this perfectly well with one of the KDF missions in the fek'ihri arc where one episode ends with you fighting on the bridge of a ship and then the NPC give you a new mission right there on that same map.

That said, until they change their current 'mission that never ends' style an easy way out is to simply take you break after a new map change. The game uses every map change as a save point, so if you just finished one map and load into another you are safe to stop and come back later.

No, it doesn't always give you a new starting point after map changes. Learned that the hard way in Leap Of Faith after I got stuck in an endless NPC dialog loop after entering the gates of Grethor. Did I get a 'resume' option? No. I got to start it over from the beginning. Moral of the story being, don't count on the developers putting in convenient breakpoints in missions. Which is why long missions *SUCK*.

Yeah, I guess I need to clarify. Some of their ground maps use a quick loading screen to actually move you from one place to another. Those aren't real map changes, and that is why they don't save your progress. I'm not 100% sure but I think the outside gates and inside area are all the same ground map, hence no save point. But you can tell for sure by opening the map and if you see the outside and inside area as part of the same map then you haven't really changed maps you've just moved to a new location.

Either way, I agree they need better checkpoints on the longer maps even when there isn't an actual map change.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Another way to check if you actually switched maps is watch the objective window - every stage of a mission has a different name.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    I’m on console so I haven’t played it yet. To be honest, I really don’t want to being that I hate the entire arc but, because I’m a completionist I’m “forced” to do it on one of my mains. But it’s only getting one play through so I can be done with J’Ula and this “make disco relevant” nonsense. Unfortunately I’m sure they’ll be more coming down the pipeline.
  • Options
    zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    This thread was set to send me notifications. I'm unsetting it. Many saying "the new episodes weren't that bad".
    So typical. Trust me, defending won't matter, they'll do whatever they want regardless.

Personally I'm bored of it all, and have grown tired of STO in general. The game play itself, the episodes, everything about STO because most of it is all the same activity with just moving the parts around, and in many cases compounding MANY repetitive activities together. Wave after wave of onslaughts of enemies in space, and ground. The entire list of hundreds of episodes all of it content you must play over and over with newer episodes adding MORE of the same - shoot shoot shoot! until it's over. So with the episodes, the TFOs, all of it becomes this constant "do it over and over and over" of shoot shoot shoot. I've played other shooter games that feel far more immersive than STO, so it's not just the shooting that's the issue I have here. It just all feels like it's lazy, filled with dialogue I really am quite uninterested in.
    The only time I tend to enjoy STO is when it's mazes, or race competitions, anything but the usual that resembles EVERYTHING in entire list of episodes.

All of you people defending criticisms with "it's not that bad" think STO will make better eventually ever? They'll do whatever they want despite criticism obviously.

At least when there was a foundry people could experiment create missions, that even if were badly made, gave us something different. I remember entering games just because I liked exploring the map. Didn't always have to hear or read lengthy dialogue. Didn't have to sit through lengthy wave after wave of onslaughts I've become to find painfully irritating to sit through.

Blah. It all feels lazy, uninspiring, uninteresting, and I can no longer fool myself into thinking otherwise.
  • Options
    therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @zateron#9297 said:

>
    > All of you people defending criticisms with "it's not that bad" think STO will make better eventually ever? They'll do whatever they want despite criticism obviously.
    >

This.

You hit the nail on the head but I’m glad you brought this point up. Recently, we were told in another story bread/discussion that the devs ignore anything from players posted in forums/Reddit/etc because it’s only “2% of the player base” so I’m assuming that means our concerns are irrelevant to them. That being said, who the heck are the 98% of players that they do partake of their opinions of STO? How are they gathering their perspectives and data? Leads me to believe that this game is drifting more into a promotional vehicle to drive home Future Trek and step away from Past Trek. And our voices as players don’t matter because of the “Phantom 98(%)” (as I’m going to start referring to them) that somehow have the devs convinced everything is going great for STO and we’re all just a bunch of fans that are spoiled and entitled.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    > @zateron#9297 said:

>
    > All of you people defending criticisms with "it's not that bad" think STO will make better eventually ever? They'll do whatever they want despite criticism obviously.
    >

This.

You hit the nail on the head but I’m glad you brought this point up. Recently, we were told in another story bread/discussion that the devs ignore anything from players posted in forums/Reddit/etc because it’s only “2% of the player base” so I’m assuming that means our concerns are irrelevant to them. That being said, who the heck are the 98% of players that they do partake of their opinions of STO? How are they gathering their perspectives and data? Leads me to believe that this game is drifting more into a promotional vehicle to drive home Future Trek and step away from Past Trek. And our voices as players don’t matter because of the “Phantom 98(%)” (as I’m going to start referring to them) that somehow have the devs convinced everything is going great for STO and we’re all just a bunch of fans that are spoiled and entitled.

2%, supposedly and really publicly through this forum, but with no real acknowledgement and 98% just what they want to do and would have done, even without the 2%?
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Got bored by the first because it was really just 3 patrols combined together+a story part, like some recent arc missions have worked.

All good and all, but how they planing to fix alliance relationships with player character... Don't forget that most considered our captain a traitor, and wanted to kill, or at least imprison him/her.

Im not happy that Kagran is and ally without any apology, or explanation. For last treatment i wish to at least punch him in the face, and not only him. Im simply hate omnipotent characters, that made obvious mistakes, and will never admit to it.

And btw, why J'mpok blood is purple?
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    varethael wrote: »
    Got bored by the first because it was really just 3 patrols combined together+a story part, like some recent arc missions have worked.

All good and all, but how they planing to fix alliance relationships with player character... Don't forget that most considered our captain a traitor, and wanted to kill, or at least imprison him/her.

Im not happy that Kagran is and ally without any apology, or explanation. For last treatment i wish to at least punch him in the face, and not only him. Im simply hate omnipotent characters, that made obvious mistakes, and will never admit to it.

It will be swept under the rug, of course.
    To aknowledge that our characters were treated unfairly, especially the ones that belong to the almighty Federation, would actually require the writers to be able to write something that make sense.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options

Well, Klingon blood was always supposed to be purple/pink, but that's because TUD needed to keep the rating down and like Joan Collins in the 70's, red and realistic blood bumps you up to 18/R.
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    Well, Klingon blood was always supposed to be purple/pink, but that's because TUD needed to keep the rating down and like Joan Collins in the 70's, red and realistic blood bumps you up to 18/R.

You are partially right, because in the beginning Klingon blood should be red, but as you pointed due to ratting limitation they switched its color ONCE in Star Trek VI to purple-pink. But that was one time action only, and now i see it for a second time...
  • Options

You are partially right, because in the beginning Klingon blood should be red, but as you pointed due to ratting limitation they switched its color ONCE in Star Trek VI to purple-pink. But that was one time action only, and now i see it for a second time...

I'm honestly happier with different blood. Vulcans have green, after all.
  • Options
    Not once - it was pink in Point of Light too.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Everything that came out after ViL is lazily made and boring. A few "holodeck simulations here" a few shoe horned Discovery characters there. Meh. To top if off, everything has silly time gate and endless waves of enemies that we mercilessly destroy. Granted, the time gate/endless enemy waves have been going on for longer but it hasn't gotten any better in recent years.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User

I'm honestly happier with different blood. Vulcans have green, after all.

and Andorians have blue, not all species have Iron based blood like the humans.
  • Options
    Klingon blood color is semi-inconsistent, though - in two instances, it's Pepto-bismol pink (The Undiscovered Country and Point of Light) and the other two it's red (Heart of Glory and The House of Quark).​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User

What exactly is there to fix again?

We were rightfully accused of working with J'Ula to destroy Khitomer in a situation no different then if an elite military unit raided the hideout of a terrorist, only to find us standing next to them right after they pressed the button to nuke the UN Building. And Instead of allowing ourselves to be captured, and accept justice, we FLED with said terrorist, making ourselves look more guilty in the process. Not to mention one of the leaders of the alliance, one of the most respected people in the known galaxy, and his boss, was right there saying "yeah man that guy did it".

Kagran has nothing to apologize for. He had every legitimate reason to believe what we he thought we did, and to think we where what he thought we were. We proved ourselves innocent later, but that doesn't change that Kagran did exactly what he was supposed to do in that situation at the time, and thus, has nothing to apologize for.

Seems like only 3/4 of the alliance would believe J'Mpok anyways, Romulans should be used to this since they have a rep for backstabbing and working with dishonorable Klingon houses, also it wasn't too long ago that D'Tan himself was accused of being a terrorist.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Klingon blood color is semi-inconsistent, though - in two instances, it's Pepto-bismol pink (The Undiscovered Country and Point of Light) and the other two it's red (Heart of Glory and The House of Quark).​​

I actually liked the pink blood, tbh!
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    They were very repetitive. And the 2nd one broke since a disciple of none clipped through the floor.

Biggest problem was the unsatisfactory j'ula redemption. It might be a result of the fact that the game releases far too little story content. They need more people working on making more episodes more frequently instead of lockboxes and tfos. Maybe then if they were insistent on j'ula becoming a good guy and putting her in a position of power in the empire they could have done so without it feeling rushed and undeserved.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    Finished up yesterday. Or was it two days ago? Well, today if you include all attached TFOs. No matter...

Everything I said before still stands. This was written for Klingons, not Romulans or Feds. I hope that at least Klingons were given a better lead-in. I am still not sure what really started all of this.

But that last mission. Man, that last mission... Still, the wave after wave of enemy was not unique to this mission in the story, but I think it was the only one where we could potentially kill the entire population of Qo'nos many times over before wrapping up.

How many billions of EC did our characters destroy in the space missions?
    How many total Klingons did we kill between space and ground missions?
    I am not talking about multiple run-throughs. I mean a single run-through with some average time applied to missions where you have to do X or more enemies will keep appearing (like the last mission).

Those astronomical numbers do not make a story better. They can make it so unreasonable that it takes away from the story that is being told.

This was bad.

• Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    > @zateron#9297 said:

>
    >

This.

I would think one good indicator on how the playerbase views a given piece of new content is "How often is it replayed?" "How often is it replayed on the same character". If you find a large population who has only ever played Knowledge is Power once, or only once per character, than you have yourselve's a bomb. Ypu've created content that the players will openly avoid. They will do it once to progress the story then move on and never look back. It's also an indication that you have screwed up the reward system. They have no desire nor any reason to ever play the shiny new content that you spent half a year developing, more than once.

I don't know about you, but I would love to see how often most of the Klingon Civil War episodes get replayed? I'm thinking the only one that gets any real playtime or workout is Partisans.
  • Options
    Whichever missions offer the Fek'ihri Torment Engine and Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths will likely get replayed a fair bit, because they're both really nice bits of gear for certain builds...but other than that, I don't see the others getting much replay, unless Cryptic ever adds Endeavors for Klingon rebels or Imperialist Klingons (AKA J'mpok's loyalists).​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    mrlostsoul#1950 mrlostsoul Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I can't play the new Klingon story arc. I tried but they are not entertaining. I have no interest in the new Klingon char. If they don't look like fish, they look like Neanderthals.
  • Options
    I've got to be honest...I can't keep up with the characters. The names, who they are, what they're doing...I'm usually so slick at taking these things onboard and maybe it's just because I'm not interested, but the characters aren't flushed out, I'm not really sure what's going on and I don't particularly care.

It's overcomplicated, but we're not involved in the plot and so I personally feel really disconnected from it all.
This discussion has been closed.