test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problem with melee combat

redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
Hello all. I have been out ofSTO for almost a year, when I came back it was during the Klingon Recut event. Then I had to take another break because real life decided to whack my in the back of my head with a 2x4. Now I’m back to lvl’ing up my new Klingon and I’m having trouble with hitting targets with melee attacks. Trying to keep my character facing the target is a problem. So I tried switching to the FPS controls, but now melee attacks just don’t work.

Please help!
[SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,524 Arc User
    Are you on PC or console? I'm guessing PC since you can change modes?

If you use the recruit Bat'Leth it will bring you to the current target if you are close enough without nay obstacles in between. Other than that you do need to select targets (try tab key) and more or less face them.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    Shooter mode defaults the primary attack to the left mouse button. Also if you're working on the Melee kill objective... it might be easier to use melee against enemies who aren't likely to try and get away from you, like the Borg on Defera or hostile wildlife in various zones like Nimbus and New Romulus.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,993 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    Melee takes a little bit of practice.

First thing to do is if playing with your away team is to turn them to passive mode so they don't draw all the aggro leaving you target less. They can still use supporting skills to help keep you healthy but AoE abilities like Hyperonic Radiation should be avoided. Abilities like this as well as live firearms will leave you without any threat.

For melee on PC I tend to go with RPG mode. You'll need to be within about 12-13 meters from a target to engage via auto-lunge. You may need to hit tab if you don't have a target and move closer when needed.

Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths can be very effective against any enemy aside from the Borg and provide faster combat than the recruit Bat'leth. You can use Furiadon Fangs against the borg if you have access to them.

For a fun kit module to enable quick movement around the map you could try and check the exchange for "Personal Spatial Trajector".

My 2255 recruit is a tactical officer so other kit modules that come in handy for tacs are Motion Accelerator, Trajectory Bending, Ambush, and Battle Strategies. Large kit overboosters from crafting really help with kit module cool downs on any character and of course carry a good supply of hypos.

Things may feel clunky at first but with practice melee combat can get pretty smooth and is viable even in advanced TFO's.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    If you're on PC, here is how you get the objective quickly.

1. Equip the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths that @protoneous mentioned in the post above this.
    2. Right click on your primary attack to turn on auto attack.
    3. Stand near a group of enemies, press 1 and just watch.

It's even easier if you upgrade them, they are insanely powerful and they have a built in closing attack so you just chain from one enemy to the next.. it is literally as easy as I make it sound. If you want to do it even faster, put your bridge officers on Passive so they don't do anything but buff/heal you to make sure they don't take any kills.

If you want to make things fun you can equip the Personalized Spatial Trajector kit module that lets you teleport to enemies that are out of range (also mentioned in the post above.) When you start to mix that stuff in, it becomes surprisingly fun. The Personalized Spatial Trajector can be found on the exchange for next to nothing, no one uses it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    If you are on Console, tough luck because melee is complete garbage on Console. Ground in general is complete garbage on Console, which is sad because ground/melee was my favorite back when I played on PC years ago.

I can tell you are on PC though because of your ability to switch to FPS mode.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I used the new bat'leth. all you have to do is be NEAR the target and you rush him
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Disco set is nice for closing, as is the black nanopulse mek'leth.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    One drawback from all the recent melee additions is that they're almost all plasma damage and therefor of limited use against Borg.

I'd take a kinetic damage melee weapon without the awkward melee root in place at this point
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Well, I equipped the Mek'leths and set them for auto attack. When I get up to a group, I pressed '1' to start the attacks and I just sat there, not attacking regardless of the number of times I pressed '1' or '2'. Took off auto attack and I was slashing about like a teppanyaki chef.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,531 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well, I equipped the Mek'leths and set them for auto attack. When I get up to a group, I pressed '1' to start the attacks and I just sat there, not attacking regardless of the number of times I pressed '1' or '2'. Took off auto attack and I was slashing about like a teppanyaki chef.

The auto attack thing does not work, but the nanopulse Mek'leths do autoclose when you are meleeing manually and acquire a target beyond reach, similar to the way most melee based games do. Now they need to put those mechanics in a wider range of melee weapons.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,268 Arc User
    I would say in addition to what other have said I'd invest on kit modules that knock down your enemies so that you get a few "free" hits in while they're getting up and if lucky or with enough skill you can lock them into constantly getting knocked down when they get up.

The discovery rep set weapon (especially with rest of the set though even by itself is enough) is good for this as charge roots and a lot of the "martial arts" strikes knock down.
  • Options
    The auto attack thing does not work,

Yes, it does.

I mowed my way to my 1000 Melee Kills using this method, it works. You just right click on your primary attack so that it has a green box around it. You get near an enemy and start the auto attack. It only breaks if the next enemy is out of range, but it absolutely works.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Maybe my problem was that both the Primary and Secondary Attacks were on autoattack (green outline).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,531 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Maybe my problem was that both the Primary and Secondary Attacks were on autoattack (green outline).

Maybe it is, that is what I did too. If it only works with one lit up though I don't really see the advantage of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Not sure why anyone would set both primary and secondary to auto attack.. that's.. odd. But yes, if you did that, it wouldn't work, the game wouldn't know which command to use.

The advantage is, with the auto close your character just runs from enemy to enemy hacking away at them leaving you free to use your mouse to activate kit abilities. It's basically the 'easy mode' way to 1k melee kills, though I wouldn't try it with any weapon, the Nanopulse Mek'leths are what work the best.
    if you are auto and getting coffee or a beer, who cares if your pixeled creation does a super duper "finish him," move. lol

Exactly, with the Nanopulse weapons, the secondary is fairly pointless unless you specifically need to do Physical Damage like against Borg. If you're fighting Borg, you could remove the auto from primary and set it to secondary though I still advise against it because the attack is weak. For Borg, it's best just use something else like the Fangs or a Bat'leth. For everything else, the Nanopulse Mek'leth's primary is very fast and very powerful, it's definitely all you are going to need.
This discussion has been closed.