test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New STO episodes based on actual television episodes

kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
I know that STO is planned something like 18-months ahead of time, but I'd love an episode that was like an actual episode. Get whichever Trek actors are willing and play Picard escaping the baryon sweep and going up against the terrorists, Seven going up against the crew and the telepathic pitcher plant, etc.

I know that I'm probably going to get jumped on for this, but I'd love to relive an actual Trek story, even if we all know how it will go.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    I don't think they are allowed to do anything on actual episodes due to copyright that's why the episodes we do have are based on what if's and/or expansions of previous episodes.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yea... any missions that are based on episodes tend to be follow ups (Temporal Ambassador, Dust to Dust) or something that tends to tie up a loose thread from said episode.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    could go back to the genesis planet and investigate what formed there
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I think the Genesis planet broke up.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I think the Genesis planet broke up.

you're right on that. Genesis was hastily done so it never had a chance to have it fully tested out.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    Another problem with Genesis is that it wasn't actually used on a proper target. It was designed for use on an already existing planetary body. Not a wrecked starship in a Nebula. That probably contributed to the planet's instability.

Still... might be interesting to discover just what resources are floating around Mutara thanks to Genesis.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I don’t think it’s a rights issue but more of an issue that STO takes place in 2409/2410/2411 and everything’s else is distant past or near past in the case of Picard or distant future with Discovery.
    The other issue is most Star Trek episodes don’t lend itself to STO’s game play. Trouble with Tribbles is a cool episode but would be boring with STO’s current game play.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s a rights issue but more of an issue that STO takes place in 2409/2410/2411 and everything’s else is distant past or near past in the case of Picard or distant future with Discovery.
    The other issue is most Star Trek episodes don’t lend itself to STO’s game play. Trouble with Tribbles is a cool episode but would be boring with STO’s current game play.

Indeed what works in TV might not work that well in game form. There's also the these would be pretty much as hard to do as regular episodes since what you gain from having the story-preset will probably be lost in designing a space that both fits the TV-episode and is fun to play.

Now a follow up episode to storyline from a TV-episode sure those could and have happened but a full 100% replication of TV-episode storyline is highly unlikely (as it would be as much work as regular episode anyway with little to no gains).

EDIT:I doubt that writing the script for an episode is the hardest part or the part that takes the longest but rather it's making the assets and AI for the episodes.

Also Trek actors have other work besides acting in STO (including acting in other Trek media) so having them available to record lines might take time.

regardless this isn't a way to get more episodes faster as much as the work that makes them take long to produce is unchanged.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Another problem with Genesis is that it wasn't actually used on a proper target. It was designed for use on an already existing planetary body. Not a wrecked starship in a Nebula. That probably contributed to the planet's instability.

Still... might be interesting to discover just what resources are floating around Mutara thanks to Genesis.

actually, the entire Mutara Nebula appears to have coalesced into a solar system. who know what might happen when matter/antimatter and the genesis effect come together and party all night long
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    actually, the entire Mutara Nebula appears to have coalesced into a solar system. who know what might happen when matter/antimatter and the genesis effect come together and party all night long

Well... I was considering the fact that Mutara still exists in STO.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    One loose end which still exists is the mention of the lost klingon fleet heading for breen space.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Empire

Was if there were survivors, or a temporally displaced fleet.

Would be a lot more interesting than Borg slaying on Defera.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    > @warmonger360 said:
    > could go back to the genesis planet and investigate what formed there

Or, better yet, someone rediscovers the Genesis formula and uses it and creates a new galactic mess. I’d play through a mission string on it. Gives them a chance to create new species and mechanics from the norm.
  • Options
    > @questerius said:
    > One loose end which still exists is the mention of the lost klingon fleet heading for breen space.
    > https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Empire
    >
    > Was if there were survivors, or a temporally displaced fleet.
    >
    > Would be a lot more interesting than Borg slaying on Defera.

Imagine if they got pulled into some version of the Mirror Universe where they took over? Or displaced in time itself and reappeared still thinking there was a war going on and got updated tech from the Iconians since T’ket is still pissed off at everyone? Would be interesting.
  • Options
    Or, better yet, someone rediscovers the Genesis formula and uses it and creates a new galactic mess. I’d play through a mission string on it. Gives them a chance to create new species and mechanics from the norm.

Well... Genesis is kinda touched on a bit during the Tzenkethi arc because protomatter weapons, and apparently the Lukari have perfected Genesis tech, although without a delivery method like the Federation had developed.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Well... Genesis is kinda touched on a bit during the Tzenkethi arc because protomatter weapons, and apparently the Lukari have perfected Genesis tech, although without a delivery method like the Federation had developed.

I never knew this! I’m actually a few arcs away on my Jemmie so I’m going to pay attention to the dialogue this time around. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Well... Genesis is kinda touched on a bit during the Tzenkethi arc because protomatter weapons, and apparently the Lukari have perfected Genesis tech, although without a delivery method like the Federation had developed.

I never knew this! I’m actually a few arcs away on my Jemmie so I’m going to pay attention to the dialogue this time around. Thanks for the info!

Just watch out for the mission Mirrors and Smoke, it is totally borked and unplayable since at one point you have to defeat an ambush but the enemy does not die at zero hit points so that combat never ends and there is no way around it. Unfortunately it is one of the key Kentari missions.
  • Options
    If we got a bug... lets see if we can nail it down for the Bug Team.

As for the Lukari missions, its not actually SAID there's a connection to Genesis in particular, as there's no name drop of Genesis at all. Its just the effects of Genesis using Lukari tech. Tzenkethi just have a straight up Protomatter bomb that wipes out all life, whereas the Lukari seem to have a stronger understanding of Protomatter and have apparently perfected Genesis tech as seen when they restore the Kentari moon after a Tzenkethi Protomatter Bomb. Its probably one of those things you wouldn't notice unless you knew something about Genesis from Wrath of Khan.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... I was considering the fact that Mutara still exists in STO.

well, there is that, but perhaps some way to fix it
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    > @warmonger360 said:

yeah, that could work, but if time travel were involved? not many care much for that anymore
    WE SURVIVE!

• Options
    I did think of something they COULD explore, as technically it wasn't in the PRIME timeline.

Altamid.

Now here me out. In the Kelvin Timeline they learned the fate of the USS Franklin, and there was that massive battle at Starbase Yorktown. BUT... in the Prime Universe they still don't know the fate of the Franklin. So in theory Krall is still there stewing in his anger towards the Federation. But without a Starbase Yorktown to target as a potential new base, or that superweapon, he's pretty much stuck until someone stumbles across Altimid. So... possible Prime Universe encounter with either Krall or someone else in control of the Drones.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    > @warmonger360 said:

yeah, that could work, but if time travel were involved? not many care much for that anymore

Ooh...a Genesis device that creates an entire galaxy. And a bit like Salome Jens' first ever appearance in TNG, the Milky Way races could have been used to create them.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    While "playing through" an episode is unlikely for a ton of reasons, all the suggestions of using existing plot threads is already what Cryptic is doing. It just happens they're currently using Discovery plot threads for the near-future (even stated they're directly working with CBS' writing teams), but intend to also incorporate some from the other new ST works (LD, SNW, Prodigy, S31, Picard) as they come in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

It might not be the plot threads one was hoping for, but it is based on current ST works, with guided input from CBS. Helps out the Cryptic Writing Team too, since they mentioned that besides finishing the Mirror Universe Invasion they started, they only had 1-2 more long-term arcs planned before they ran out of ideas.

That said, some Genesis aftermath drama has potential; moreso if the Lukari are also brought in to help solve it, as well as a Prime Timeline take on the USS Franklin's fate, as others suggested earlier.

Revisiting the progress of New Romulus and the integration of the Remans would also be an interesting plot forwards, where instead of loading back into an eternally-in-progress New Romulus, we can beam into an actual, completed base after completing certain arcs. The outer fields could remain the same for things like Epohh tagging and beast-taming, but the Staging Area would now be a completed ESD-like amenities facility that also has direct access to New Romulus Command and the Fleet Embassy (if in a Fleet for the latter). Could also serve as a sort of new Romulan Recruitment Event + Story Expansion, much like "Year of the Klingon" was for the KDF. Maybe work with CBS on further fleshing out the idea should CBS revisit it in future seasons of Picard.

Another would be Nimbus Revisited; we basically forced a limited-scale hostile takeover of the outpost calling in Fed/KDF to clean up the town in Law's place. Maybe turn it into the next "New Romulus" as we begin improving the quality of life there just to uncover some other shadowy threat (the way the Tholians were to New Romulus)?
  • Options
    Another would be Nimbus Revisited; we basically forced a limited-scale hostile takeover of the outpost calling in Fed/KDF to clean up the town in Law's place. Maybe turn it into the next "New Romulus" as we begin improving the quality of life there just to uncover some other shadowy threat (the way the Tholians were to New Romulus)?

The only issue I see with Nimbus is... its in the armpit of the galaxy. Its a strategically unimportant dustball of a planet that was pretty much abandoned by all three major powers. Whoever came up with the idea to use a desert planet as the "Planet of Galactic Peace" back in the 23rd Century should honestly be shot because... it was a TERRIBLE idea. Pretty sure the Fed and Klingon Ambassadors sent there were only sent there because it was a dead end job. And the Romulan Ambassador was probably young and idealistic at the time, which might not have gone well with the Senate or Tal Shiar.

The people of Nimbus are outcasts and distrustful of government. The only reason they accepted help from the Federation and KDF was because it meant driving the Syndicate out.
This discussion has been closed.