test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

launcher update restarting too many times over and over from random size downloaded

32.9mb of launcher to be downloaded now and stuck till timeout. then another try.
it does it since from about 10 hours ago.

Comments

• Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzorczzzzzzzzzzzzzorc Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    it took too many attempts to watch it but it did make it through and update the launcher
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    No issues here. You may of had a glitch with your internet connection.
  • Options
    stolokstolok Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    I'm seeing something similar. Launcher update is some random thing that happens outside of the regular patches, so you never know when it's going to hit. Well, it hit today, and it's recycling and recycling, and recycling. Can't seem to decide what is valid data, and so it cannot complete the update and allow login to the game.
  • Options
    stolokstolok Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    Well, I walked away and waited But it's still doing this the next day. STO is officially inaccessible.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    OP, you might need to go into the Live folder in the place where you downloaded Star Trek Online to. Click on the folder localdata and delete the GamePrefs.pref file. Then click on the Star Trek Online launcher and see if that resolves the problem. I do not have this problem.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Getting the same problem,launcher update keeps restarting ( although my older computer updated ok ).

Tried both the ARC launcher ( which I usually bypass ),plus the link direct to the STO exe.

sthe91 wrote: »
    OP, you might need to go into the Live folder in the place where you downloaded Star Trek Online to. Click on the folder localdata and delete the GamePrefs.pref file. Then click on the Star Trek Online launcher and see if that resolves the problem. I do not have this problem.

Tried that,unfortunately doesn't fix the problem.
  • Options
    wsteinkwsteink Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Same problem as OP. I have that problem about every time the Launcher needs an update since about 6 months. Sometimes it works after a few days. This time I'm waiting since April 1st to get into the launcher and into the game. I don't know what is the cause but I'm sure it is not my connection. Have no problems at all with other games. Maybe I finally have to walk away from the game ...
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Seems a fresh install may be in order. STO IS NOT officially inaccessible, if so every player would have this issue.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eazzie wrote: »
    Seems a fresh install may be in order. STO IS NOT officially inaccessible, if so every player would have this issue.

No way I'm doing a fresh install, either it works or the game is gone. I f... expect a game to work and not that I have to constantly download the f.. game! I had connection problems with the Launcher the last few month, over and over again. So don't tell me I have to do a fresh install. And also: Just because it works for you, does not mean it works for everyone! (flame/troll comment removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    @wsteink Lose the insults, they help none and will get you nowhere fast. Second, computers are going to act up from time to time. Sometimes fresh installs do indeed fix issues. If you take that attitude with every single game then you're going to have nothing to play before long.

Now with that said, bring up your launcher and go to Options. Under the options menu, set your Gameplay Proxy server to None. Second, make sure you do NOT have Force Verify checked. Also be sure to turn off On Demand Patching. This will force all relevant game data to your machine and should eliminate issues like this. If it does not work, there are other methods to try.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    @wsteink Lose the insults, they help none and will get you nowhere fast. Second, computers are going to act up from time to time. Sometimes fresh installs do indeed fix issues. If you take that attitude with every single game then you're going to have nothing to play before long.

Now with that said, bring up your launcher and go to Options. Under the options menu, set your Gameplay Proxy server to None. Second, make sure you do NOT have Force Verify checked. Also be sure to turn off On Demand Patching. This will force all relevant game data to your machine and should eliminate issues like this. If it does not work, there are other methods to try.

Exactly how are they suppose to bring up their launcher if they can't update it?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Getting the same problem,launcher update keeps restarting ( although my older computer updated ok ).

If your older computer updated fine, then the problem lies with the computer you're trying to update. Try making sure the game client is set to run as administrator and if running antivirus/firewall, temporarily disable it. Check if the game folder is given appropriate permission to save changes on your computer. You could also try deleting the game and copy it over from your other computer as a last resort.

• Options

Bringing up the launcher is the whole problem!
  • Options

If your older computer updated fine, then the problem lies with the computer you're trying to update. Try making sure the game client is set to run as administrator and if running antivirus/firewall, temporarily disable it. Check if the game folder is given appropriate permission to save changes on your computer. You could also try deleting the game and copy it over from your other computer as a last resort.

I did not change anything on my computer, it just stopped working.
    I opened a ticket and I suggest everyone to do so too.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    wsteink wrote: »

If it just stopped working, something changed on your end.

• Options
    wsteink wrote: »

If it just stopped working, something changed on your end.

Smart thinking. If I change nothing it is my fault, if I change something it is my fault. Nice one!
  • Options
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzorczzzzzzzzzzzzzorc Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    my connection is ok. the launcher bugs out on windows 7. update to windows 10 and fresh install worked ok.