test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

thoughts (likes/dislikes) about klink recruit event...

2»

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I would have liked something more with the Enemies of the Empire. Spreading them out in more episodes than just the starting arcs, adding a few more. It's forgettable very quickly.

Yes, that would have made it more like the Delta with more new goals added to the existing content.

I'm fine with the super-grindy long term goals because it will hopefully get people who have never had a KDF captain before to keep playing them longer. Maybe they'll buy an extra KDF ship or two and some KDF-specific gear.

For me it's like the endeavor system: it might take me years to finish but that's something new to do and I can work on it only on the days that I feel like it.

I haven't looked at what the "other character" rewards are, I get so many loot boxes from the older recruits that it doesn't matter much.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    I wasn't a fan of melee in STO because it is implemented so poorly, especially for the Bat'leth and Lirpa (swords were a little less borked since they have a step forward on strike mechanic), but the twin nanopulse Mek'leths go a long way in fixing that problem with their "lunge" (the nanopulse sniper/polearm is also like that) so the melee requirement is actually good.

It would be great if they take that a step further and mix the moves up with alternates for all the melee weapons to create flowing and varied melee like BDO and some other fantasy games, but what is there for the twin nano-mek'leths is a nice start.

I have not bothered claiming the consoles for the most part, greens and blues are trash when there are more advanced characters who can make purple ones in crafting. If the Klingon recruit is a players first character they would be good though.

I have not had much time to play lately (busy IRL) so I have not quite gotten to level 50 yet (might hit it tonight or tomorrow night) so I have not done any random TFOs with the recruits yet (two accounts) but even when I do get there I probably will not do them more than very occasionally since I really do not like the randoms and the toxicity that surrounds them much.

I do like the recruit ship though it is a little underwhelming, it feels more like a T5U that has had a trait slapped on than it does a real T6 (the winged kielbasa from DSC outperforms it for instance), though it is still fun to fly. Model wise it is not ugly, it has more of an endearing homeliness that looks like a quick kitbash mating two different hulls, something that fits the narrative of the Alliance being desperate for ships to replace the losses from the back-to-back Iconian and Hurq wars very well.

The first boff is good too, I am hoping the second one is just as good.

Overall I would rate the Klingon recruit event up there with the Delta recruit (the Gamma one is disappointing in so many ways unfortunately, and I missed the AoY recruiting event by only a day or so I have no way to compare it to AoY).
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Whereas, instead of having a bunch of gear sets for a "main" character, I have different characters for every energy type.

So making a whole pile of "6 beam arrays + 3 damage consoles" for every damage for my recruit - and buying a some extra bank space, because that stuff takes a pile of it - isn't normal for me. When a "do 100k polaron damage" Endeavor comes up, I pull out one of my Polaron characters, I don't reequip my main's ship.

(mostly with these Recruit characters, I've done their recruit tasks, then stuck them in my pile of "extra alts, for when we do things that can use extra alts", rather than Just Playing Them and Recruit Tasks Eventually Get Done. So I expect that the KDF recruit will end up being the one with the least finished tasks. By a long shot. Doesn't help that I play less these days. And the recruit tasks aren't compelling enough to get me to play more.)

I had already been doing over 90% of them on one character, anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I have five other ships set up with each energy type that she doesn't use on her main ship. All with really cheap Mk XII gear from the Exchange. It's really the only reason that I switch ships on anyone. Just seems easier to handle it all on one when possible. Now, for the Klingon Recruit, I do swap gear, but again, it's all from the Exchange, or from reputation boxes. That's not ideal, but it isn't that big of an inconvenience, either. You don't need great gear to rack up even 500K in a damage type really quickly.

Edit: My one complaint is melee kills. No amount of magic weapon or magic trait is going to make it good enough that I'll use it regularly. The mechanics of it in this game are just painful. If you want a good sci-fi melee experience, I might suggest an MMO set in another galaxy in another time, where half of the classes are built around melee combat. It would probably be at least decent there. ;)
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Lousy rewards...but hey we all know they hate Klingons so of course they get the worst event rewards. So called T6 ship that has the console slots of a unupgraded T5 ship. One of the best rewards of the event is exclusive only to the recruit. So many annoying little chores...worse than any of the events I played (only missed the temporal)

Great event! :|
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Since the title is now changed, I'll add that the Ambush and Melee goals have given me a target to try new things. I'm not great at ambush cloaking, so now I'm practicing and getting better at it. I liked Melee enough before, and that new Bat'leth is lots of fun! The free ship is also a nice gesture, even if it is in many ways a scaling starter ship. I know many players are sticking with it because they may not have much better or for the challenge. I swapped for a few others I have, and now the Temer raider.

A side bonus is all the new activity in and over Qo'nos now as well. It's refreshing to see, even though I know it won't last. And I'll probably be there less over time as well, as some of the elements of the KDF faction lore and doffing start to bother me again. But for now, it is a nice change of pace.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    No Discovery Klingon Boffs to go with my new Discovery Captain.
    So I stopped playing after the tutorial finished.
    Hoping Discovery Klingon Boffs show up eventually otherwise I will be forced to delete him and loose the recruitment reward device.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Standout things I liked:
    -The special hunts/minibosses.

Standout things I didn't like:
    -RTFO objectives. (The vocal expletives and personal namecalling I let out when I saw them cannot be repeated on these forums. :) )
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Hoping Discovery Klingon Boffs show up eventually otherwise I will be forced to delete him and loose the recruitment reward device.
    "Forced"? Does someone have a disruptor to your head? Blink twice if we need to send help!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    jonsills wrote: »
    "Forced"? Does someone have a disruptor to your head? Blink twice if we need to send help!

I cant play the new Disco Klingon without a proper crew :) So there will be no need to keep him if I cant get Disco Klingon Boffs.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I would have liked something more with the Enemies of the Empire. Spreading them out in more episodes than just the starting arcs, adding a few more. It's forgettable very quickly.

Yes, that would have made it more like the Delta with more new goals added to the existing content.

I'm fine with the super-grindy long term goals because it will hopefully get people who have never had a KDF captain before to keep playing them longer. Maybe they'll buy an extra KDF ship or two and some KDF-specific gear.

For me it's like the endeavor system: it might take me years to finish but that's something new to do and I can work on it only on the days that I feel like it.

I haven't looked at what the "other character" rewards are, I get so many loot boxes from the older recruits that it doesn't matter much.

I agree, it is about and, I think it has largely been successful in getting people to play KDF. Combining this with letting you use your Fed ships means there isn't much reason not to play KDF right now. The question is how many will continue to do so after its all done?
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    most useless recr. ever. doesn't even give fleet dil to other toons.

It actually does. Granted, it's only 5k but it's better than nothing.

As for what I don't like about this recruit is that it feels like tokenism, meaning that it's something they did because of YoK but put no real thought into, filling it instead with boring-to-death tasks (the 5k kills total, for example), timegated and character constraining drivel (the endeavors xp) or just nonsensical objectives (like the 150 random queues + 15 against humans + 15 against romulans + 5 swarm... what's the point of that?! And yes, I know that if you end up in a random Swarm it counts for both objectives. It's still stupid).

Over all, it feels like this is just a filler between the anniversary and whatever new event we'll get that will start the next big campaign and the fact that it's Klingon-flavored is just to appear as if they care about a faction they have abandoned from the very start.

As far as I am concerned, the only true good thing that comes from this Recruitment is the Whitering Barrage available for free for everyone.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    I think it's good to see some different tasks for the 2255 kdf recruits as compared to those seen in other recruitment events. It helps make each RE unique.

Things like the 2500 melee and 2500 space ambush kills are very thematic and are easily accomplished just by doing some missions and playing the game.

Same for the 150 random queues as that's about the number needed to get a good start on reputations anyway. Having to train against 'former enemies' again seems to show the creative thinking put into this event.

Other RE's encouraged different things and it was a positive for me to re-explore melee combat and set up a Bird of Prey for TFO duties. I find the difference in game play refreshing and even the BoP is free.

Sure there are some longer term objectives but it's not like a recruit needs to be finished overnight.

I can hardly wait to unlock the account wide endeavor xp boost and to get the stacking CrtH doff on my recruit.

I think it's great that three of my recruit's main ships, the recent Temer Alliance Raider and last year's Khitomer Alliance Battlecruiser as well as the Fek'Ihri Gok'tad Carrier are all event rewards.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    Same for the 150 random queues as that's about the number needed to get a good start on reputations anyway.

Hmm. I think my Gamma managed T5 on most of his reps, just off the recruit rewards & previous recruit account rewards. Well, and then the easy to get ones from daily quests across the map (Omega, Rom, Delta, etc).

And then T6 rep just uses the marks you get from hitting T5.

(oh, all of this with bonus rep mark pools)

Meanwhile, I honestly can't imagine doing 150 TFOs total in the life of a character, let alone as "a start". If you don't count Borg Red Alerts (hah), I don't think I've run 150 TFOs across all my characters since 2012. (and again, this is only the simplest ones - Starbase One, Crystal Catastrophe(?), Binary Stars. The no-strategy shootfests.) Big part of why I've never completed any of the "14 days" events - I can never manage to drag myself through the same stupid mission 14 times in a short amount of time.

But I've never been able to run dungeons over & over & over in fantasy MMOs, either. /shrug
    Post edited by kiralyn on
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    A lot of the tasks and annoying, but the rewards are so poor that I don't really feel that I am missing anything by not doing them.

I do think they dropped the ball with the kill people things stopping so quickly. Why would a mysterious entity go through all that trouble to recruit an assassin (or vigilante) and then stop using you almost right away?
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I still think this Klingon Recruitment Event's rewards are overall lesser than previous recruitment events, but I'm still wondering if the addition of the M'Chla Refit is meant to offset that.

I'm also finding sometimes the pacing of the rewards ill-timed if truly meant to aide a new character.

Cryptic is saying one might be rewarded with Very Rare equipment like was mostly standard in previous recruitment events & were rewarded when a character could make use of it, but I'm mostly getting just Rare quality & usually it seems too late for efficient use.

I'm already slowing down playing my Klingon recruit exclusively because of these reasons. Not only do these "carrots" seem not as plentiful but also not as good quality either. I'm also still wondering if I was rewarded a broken recruit bat'leth even when upgraded.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    rattler2 Sorry it took so long to reply, real life has been well demanding on my time of late. Anyways I get your arguments but the things design just isnt for heavy combat operations. This is what I loved about the Hegh'Ta It was. The new Bird of Prey is just as amazing in my opinion.

As for the Ko'vart cruiser. I find that design the most interesting. For the purposes of the show your right it was a increased sized bird of prey, given a cruiser designation. The thing of it is, to my knowledge, no one has ever really looked into that. Put a 2409-2410 twist on it, give it a hull with a believable size, that looks like it holds a crew compliment of a cruiser. I think it could be a new design of KDF ships for sto.
This discussion has been closed.