test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some ships are difficult to see which way they are facing

vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
Titles says it.

Is it possible to make my weapons's arcs always appear without pointing my mouse to it ? Such option will fix the said problem with certainty.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    just setting one of my weap's (not omni) arc to be permanently visible will solve all these headaches
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I'm not saying this is not an issue, but I don't use any ships where it has been for me. Can you give an example of a couple of the ships where the design is directionally confusing so I can look at them? I'm guessing they have radial symmetry?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    the new KDF recruitment T6 birb, if i am stationary or backpeddling i get confused and 70% of the time dont know at which direction i am facing, which is not nice if your weapons are cannons
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    vanhyo wrote: »
    the new KDF recruitment T6 birb, if i am stationary or backpeddling i get confused and 70% of the time dont know at which direction i am facing, which is not nice if your weapons are cannons

To make sure, this is the ship you mean?
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/411676233760374794/805106600176123934/unknown.png

I have been using it on my recruit and have not had an issue, but I'm not often stationary or in reverse (I probably don't do space combat very efficiently; I mostly keep moving, keep shooting :smile: ). I also don't have a very large monitor and that can factor in as well.

Either way, I would not be against them putting in a setting like you suggest. So long as it is optional. (And does not break anything else since the game code seems to operate via butterfly effect. :wink: )
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    I'm not sure how this could be improved.

We already have the "all trails when moving forwards, just one when moving backwards" VFX, the option to have the camera snap back to behind the ship, model clues like big cannons for most of the KDF ships, the "cursor over the weapon slot to see the arc" FX, the directional shield visual option to compare with the shield power HUD part and impulse engines usually having the same symmetrical glowing colors (red or orange for Feds and KDF, neon green for RR, purple or blue for Jem'Hadar).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    tagen wrote: »

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/411676233760374794/805106600176123934/unknown.png

I have been using it on my recruit and have not had an issue, but I'm not often stationary or in reverse (I probably don't do space combat very efficiently; I mostly keep moving, keep shooting :smile: ). I also don't have a very large monitor and that can factor in as well.

Either way, I would not be against them putting in a setting like you suggest. So long as it is optional. (And does not break anything else since the game code seems to operate via butterfly effect. :wink: )

What ship is pictured? I seem to have missed it coming out, or even any mention of a recruitment T6, RL has been rather busy for me lately so I have barely had time to go in and do the minimum event daily for the last month or so.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021

The tips of the wings face forward..

This ship actually has hard mounted guns that face forward as well..

How can this possibly be confusing? Especially since what you're asking for is already there.. part of the ships model is front facing guns.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    tagen wrote: »

What ship is pictured? I seem to have missed it coming out, or even any mention of a recruitment T6, RL has been rather busy for me lately so I have barely had time to go in and do the minimum event daily for the last month or so.

It is the M'Chla BoP Refit ( https://sto.gamepedia.com/M'Chla_Bird-of-Prey_Refit )
    You get it on a new KDF character (can't be Romulan or Dominion KDF-allied, just the actual KDF character creation section) in the current recruitment event. Once you kill the "priority target" found in the first mission from the Warzone Arc, you can claim the ship from the transponder you got in the tutorial.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User

How can this possibly be confusing? Especially since what you're asking for is already there.. part of the ships model is front facing guns.
    It's actually really easy to get confused lol. On the screen this ship is about 3 millimeters in size, virtually a dot compared to some of the larger ships I'm used to. What wings and mounted guns?

Normally the end with giant cannon fire coming out of it is the front but I've managed to temporarily lose track as well. It only really sucks when you just buffed up but find you're not aimed quite right.

A tad of zoom seems to help but too much obscures the field of view.

Choosing a camera view that faces forward might be one thing that can help.

Similar to the KDF recruit ground melee challenge it seems you have to get accustomed to things, fiddle around, and practice to find what works best for your play style.

At least it's not one of those ships that always looks like it's flying backwards.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

there's also the BoP head on it that faces forward, now if you're using the base M'Chala skin and are unfamiliar with the design I could see someone getting confused, now if you're using a ship this small zoomed as far as you would with a bigger yeah then I could see an issue but then at that size pretty much any ship would have that issue.

Though as a rule of thumb all Bird of Prey models seem to have forward sweeping wings (yes even the Romulan ones), so that could be used even a bit further away from the ship.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    The only ship that I have a real problem in telling which direction it's facing is the Defiant - and that's only because I usually have the magnification set to the lowest setting to get the largest field of vision during the battle.

When I increase the size, it's fairly easy to tell which direction it's facing.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The only ship that I have a real problem in telling which direction it's facing is the Defiant - and that's only because I usually have the magnification set to the lowest setting to get the largest field of vision during the battle.

When I increase the size, it's fairly easy to tell which direction it's facing.

"Hello there."
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ferengi_D'Kora_Marauder
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/APU_Cruiser
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Suliban_Cell_Ship
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Lukari_Ho'kuun_Science_Vessel
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Lukari_N'Kaam_Scout_Ship

And of course, la crême de la crême that confused even the devs:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Benthan_Assault_Cruiser
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    I fly a lukari dranuur using the nkaam skin and have this issue frequently as well, the ship is a UFO which looks cool but is completely symmetrical from all directions lol.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    The worst one for telling which direction it is facing is probably the new Romulan science carrier, you can see from the shape that they turned the mesh around and what was originally the "head" section of the bird is the tail (though that one is less a case of confusion and more a misdirection in the heat of battle, at least when seeing one from another ship). I would have probably gotten one except I find that reversal extremely annoying.

I don't have problems with my N'Kaams (I have one as a skin for a Ho'kuun and one as the plain T5U), that wide drive panel and the fog it puts out makes the direction rather obvious, and the Hello Kitty hull pattern that I have on one of them helps a bit too.
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    Even if your ship is definitively shaped, there's so many flashy effects going on these days it's hard to even see where your ship is at in the middle of it all.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I'm glad they changed the Dhailkhina for the Ra'nodaire.

I find the Ra'nodaire MUCH more satisfying after some testing on Tribble, because the Dhailkhina's pets are godawful and I suspect they're broken as well. They seem to only fire when they activate CSV and not only it's just the lead fighter of each squadron wing doing the firing but I also don't remember them firing a single torpedo.
    Also, the console, while offering some nice-looking beam spam doesn't seem to do much damage compared to other consoles, even from C-Store ships.

At least, with the Ra'nodaire, even if it's MUCH more sluggish, I can access the drone ships and the default fighters and frigates keep spamming their abilities.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    Lets play find the BoP lol :smile:

DvGOyDy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.