Install Arc
Options

Welcome to Starfleet, you Klingons....

Comments

• Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    > @jennycolvin said:
    > Just let it go, my friend.
    > It's not worth trying to make him see what's right in front of his eyes.

Can't believe some people are so blind.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,113 Community Moderator

As the article clearly states: no. The existing packs will still be useable, but no new ones will be made available.
    So now we're all gonna have to pay a fortune for them unless we already unlocked them through packs.

It could mean that there's more incentive to open those ships, which means a better supply. KDF ships have always had a lower supply than Fed ones because of the fact that there's fewer KDF players than Fed players. We also see that with KDF specific outfits from the lobi store. Less supply = higher prices.

KDF was also in BAD need of more science ships and shuttles.

We're still gonna get the faction equivelent ships, as people will still want to fly ships appropriate to their chosen faction. We got many people who swear off flying anything other than the ships of their chosen faction after all for immersion purposes, and faction loyalty.

For those who are diehard faction loyalists it might not really mean much, but for those of us who have characters on both sides... more Admiralty cards both ways, not to mention access to starship traits normally locked behind cross faction boxes on the early ones like Reciprocity.

Look... people can go back and forth until the end of time on the pros and cons of this move. The fact remains its happening. I personally see it as an opprotunity for all sides. Interest in a lot of the older lockbox ships that were faction locked will rise, and RPers may take it as a chance to fly something interesting that better fits their narritive.

I'm personally not going to stick my KDF into a Galaxy or anything. I might decide to troll around in something or other with the Alliance Vanity Shield on it, but for the most part I'm going to treat it as business as usual.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sionedwardssionedwards Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I'm still on the fence on whether I like this move or not, there are good and bad things to say about it. Personally, I'll still generally fly faction specific ships for my characters i.e. ROM toons will generally use a rom ship unless there's some lore I've made up for that character to use something exotic. Plus, one good thing is we'll get access to consoles off ships that were previously locked because of those faction restrictions.

There looks to be a general fear that they'll have less reasons to make non-fed ships now, I actually think they might have more reason to do so in some cases. In the past they might have shrugged kdf ships because they knew there was less of an audience to buy them, but now without that limitation, they can make kdf ships knowing that the entire player base will have access to them. Hopefully this will give them more reasons to justify making non-fed ships.

This speculation of mine is with the caveat that they are of course going to be focused on ships from Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks mainly for a good while yet.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > It could mean that there's more incentive to open those ships, which means a better supply. KDF ships have always had a lower supply than Fed ones because of the fact that there's fewer KDF players than Fed players. We also see that with KDF specific outfits from the lobi store. Less supply = higher prices.
    >
    > KDF was also in BAD need of more science ships and shuttles.
    >
    > We're still gonna get the faction equivelent ships, as people will still want to fly ships appropriate to their chosen faction. We got many people who swear off flying anything other than the ships of their chosen faction after all for immersion purposes, and faction loyalty.
    >
    > For those who are diehard faction loyalists it might not really mean much, but for those of us who have characters on both sides... more Admiralty cards both ways, not to mention access to starship traits normally locked behind cross faction boxes on the early ones like Reciprocity.
    >
    > Look... people can go back and forth until the end of time on the pros and cons of this move. The fact remains its happening. I personally see it as an opprotunity for all sides. Interest in a lot of the older lockbox ships that were faction locked will rise, and RPers may take it as a chance to fly something interesting that better fits their narritive.
    >
    > I'm personally not going to stick my KDF into a Galaxy or anything. I might decide to troll around in something or other with the Alliance Vanity Shield on it, but for the most part I'm going to treat it as business as usual.

This move is nothing but an effort to push people to try their luck with lock boxes or at least buy keys to sell.

If they put the traits and consoles in the zen store for 500-1000 zen then that might not be such an issue. But as it is now you need billions of ec to obtain them and cryptic has consistently nerfed methods of getting ec outside of selling zen items.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »

As the article clearly states: no. The existing packs will still be useable, but no new ones will be made available.
    So now we're all gonna have to pay a fortune for them unless we already unlocked them through packs.

It could mean that there's more incentive to open those ships, which means a better supply. KDF ships have always had a lower supply than Fed ones because of the fact that there's fewer KDF players than Fed players. We also see that with KDF specific outfits from the lobi store. Less supply = higher prices.
    That would be the case if the traits and consoles people are most interested in - starting with the DPRM, for example - were available from Klingon Ships.
    They are not and Klingons and Romulans have access to them because of packs (or boxes, whichever you prefer :D).
    We're still gonna get the faction equivelent ships, as people will still want to fly ships appropriate to their chosen faction. We got many people who swear off flying anything other than the ships of their chosen faction after all for immersion purposes, and faction loyalty.

I'm all for still having faction ships, but I just don't see it happening, I'm sorry.
    This to me stinks as another excuse to not release anything but Federation ships unless we're talking about really special lockbox/promo ships - say, for example, another ship like La Sirena.
    For those who are diehard faction loyalists it might not really mean much, but for those of us who have characters on both sides... more Admiralty cards both ways, not to mention access to starship traits normally locked behind cross faction boxes on the early ones like Reciprocity.

I have characters on both sides and since I'm not speaking for anyone but myself I can safely say: I can live withouth having more ships boggling down the clusterTRIBBLE that's the Admiralty roster. Especially ships that don't belong on the red or blue side of barricade. As for the traits... see above.
    Look... people can go back and forth until the end of time on the pros and cons of this move. The fact remains its happening. I personally see it as an opprotunity for all sides. Interest in a lot of the older lockbox ships that were faction locked will rise, and RPers may take it as a chance to fly something interesting that better fits their narritive.

I agree, it's happening and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. What I can do about it is thinking that's it's a stupid move that makes no sense, (what's the point of Alliance ships now?), and it's just meant to make them more money. Which wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't spend 11 years ignoring and negletting a portion of their playerbase simply because they liked to fly red instead of blue.
    I'm personally not going to stick my KDF into a Galaxy or anything. I might decide to troll around in something or other with the Alliance Vanity Shield on it, but for the most part I'm going to treat it as business as usual.

And I hope you'll have fun doing so! After all, that's why we play games, isn't it? To have fun doing something we like!
    As for me, I won't be caught dead in anything that it's not faction specific or that wasn't cross-faction before.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I can see and appreciate the point of those saying that KDF ships may be more common because now Feds can buy and use them, but I don't think that is really likely.

The fact is that right now nothing is stopping Fed players from making a KDF character and thus gaining the ability to fly any of those cool KDF ships they kinda like. Yet, they don't do it. So why would they buy a KDF ship now if they don't do it already? The gameplay is largely the same whichever side you're on, and I can't say I've ever seen a complaint from a Fed player wishing they could fly one of the KDF ships.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    I was excited at first, then I read about it and thought about it, and now I am sad this is happening.

Make no mistake, this is the death of the KDF faction, all advantages they once had outside of Contraband farming are now done.. poof.. gone. KDF had some huge advantages, they could buy the DPRM console or the Superior Area Denial trait for cheap and now they have to buy a lockbox/promo ship like everyone else. Just a month ago, I bought SAD for a new KDF Jem, I paid 10M for the trait, today it's 80M and climbing. Once the supply is gone, that trait will cost the same 950M that Feds have to pay.

Secondly, you can listen to what Kael and his mouthpiece here on the forum says, but don't kid yourself.. KDF ships will now go the way of Romulan ships.. gone. They said that wouldn't happen to Romulans, and it did.. and it will happen to Klingons as well. Now, all they have to make is Fed ships because everyone can fly them so 'no one can complain.'

Now, this change does have advantages.. for example.. my KDF characters can now get access to some traits from C-Store ships that I did not own the KDF variant of so that is really nice. It also greatly extends the admiralty card selection for my Klingons which is no small thing.. it will result in even more Dilithium supply (lets face it, we're never going lower then 495-500:1 again anyway.)

It was made with good intention and has some benefits, but this marks the end of the Klingon Faction. I had long suspected something like this was coming, and here it is. Luckily, my current KDF characters have what they need already so I am good. I'll make a recruit to unlock all the bonuses and then probably just delete them, I can't get some of the cool 'shineys' for cheap anymore.. so no real point keeping them around.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Seems for awhile now that whenever a ship came out with two faction versions, any difference between the Fed version and the KDF version was picked apart and trashed.

The upside to this change could be that they could make two ships have more distinct differences and not worry about whether it has faction parity. Not a big deal anymore if it's unlocked by all, eh? No guarantee they will, but they could.

Personally I'm excited by it. My Dahar Master KDF Klingon has been sitting in cross-faction event ships, and then a Titan-class since the day that dropped. Why? Because J'mpok is a dishonorable coward, has been since he took over as Chancellor, and now I'm glad the rest of the quadrant is realizing it.

And if the Klingon Empire can redeem its honor at the end of this civil war, then I'll start flying those ships again. So will my Romulan captains.

In game, there's plenty of "KDF" players who feel the same way, I see it in bios all the time. So yeah, there's lore reasons for wanting this as well.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    I was excited at first, then I read about it and thought about it, and now I am sad this is happening.

Make no mistake, this is the death of the KDF faction, all advantages they once had outside of Contraband farming are now done.. poof.. gone. KDF had some huge advantages, they could buy the DPRM console or the Superior Area Denial trait for cheap and now they have to buy a lockbox/promo ship like everyone else. Just a month ago, I bought SAD for a new KDF Jem, I paid 10M for the trait, today it's 80M and climbing. Once the supply is gone, that trait will cost the same 950M that Feds have to pay.

Secondly, you can listen to what Kael and his mouthpiece here on the forum says, but don't kid yourself.. KDF ships will now go the way of Romulan ships.. gone. They said that wouldn't happen to Romulans, and it did.. and it will happen to Klingons as well. Now, all they have to make is Fed ships because everyone can fly them so 'no one can complain.'

Now, this change does have advantages.. for example.. my KDF characters can now get access to some traits from C-Store ships that I did not own the KDF variant of so that is really nice. It also greatly extends the admiralty card selection for my Klingons which is no small thing.. it will result in even more Dilithium supply (lets face it, we're never going lower then 495-500:1 again anyway.)

It was made with good intention and has some benefits, but this marks the end of the Klingon Faction. I had long suspected something like this was coming, and here it is. Luckily, my current KDF characters have what they need already so I am good. I'll make a recruit to unlock all the bonuses and then probably just delete them, I can't get some of the cool 'shineys' for cheap anymore.. so no real point keeping them around.

Agreed on everything except the "it was made with good intention" part.
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Haha.. nice. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Not having to tie ships to a faction is a good thing, because most of the ships the KDF have gotten are just the "klingon version" of something starfleet gets anyway, because making a straight klingon ship wasn't worth the dev/art time. Now, if they have a cool concept for a ship, they don't have to worry about "can I make one of these for the other faction too?"
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2021
    Seems for awhile now that whenever a ship came out with two faction versions, any difference between the Fed version and the KDF version was picked apart and trashed.

The upside to this change could be that they could make two ships have more distinct differences and not worry about whether it has faction parity. Not a big deal anymore if it's unlocked by all, eh? No guarantee they will, but they could.

Very nice to see your comment, that is certainly a good possibility they could explore now. It may also not just be limited to similar ships with the same Starship Trait, in future could be different, along with subtle differences in Bridge Stations, Hangers or others between different Faction ships of similar design.

I also hope this will encourage far more to trying to create a Klingon Character, for me I enjoy all the (divergent) Federation, Klingon, and Romulan story's as they play out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story ends with the current Chancellor as he was never really a favorite of mine, and his Dishonor he's shown, hopefully ends with a new Leader we can all be proud of.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    > @strathkin said:
    > Very nice to see your comment, that is certainly a good possibility they could explore now. It may also not just be limited to similar ships with the same Starship Trait in future different, it also may allow other slight subtle differences in Bridge Stations, Hangers or others.
    >
    > I also hope this will encourage far more to trying to create a Klingon Character, for me I enjoy all the (divergent) Federation, Klingon, and Romulan story's as they play out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story ends with the current Chancellor as he was never really a favorite of mine, and his Dishonor he's shown, hopefully ends with a new Leader we can all be proud of.

No one's going to create a klingon now that they have to pay billions for fed ships to get the good ship traits and consoles.

Well people will make one for the event but that's it.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

When I first heard about the plan to allow the KDF side to use fed ships and vice versa a little while back I didn't really see the downside. "Great" I thought, I can now use my fed c-store ship traits on my kdf characters. Then I read the News and got to the end -Caveats...yikes. I agree this was not done with good intentions -this is just another money grab. Which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about at this point.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    > @westmetals said:
    > Pretty sure you have. I've posted several times, as have other players, specifically advocating for Fed access to a Bird-of-Prey, as it was one of the only canon ships not available. (re: HMS Bounty)

The thought of a feddybear in a BoP makes me ill. I'm glad you guys finally got your fat greasy hands on what was left of the kdf though.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,792 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    kiralyn wrote: »
    A resounding /meh

:|

(seriously, did anyone ask for this?)

That depends. I have wanted to fly a BoP on one of my Fed's for ages. I was hoping it would have came with a Klingon Legendary Bundle but this is a good start to still not having a Legendary Bundle that is Klingon themed.

Edit: We could also use this when Klingon's command the Constitution Class
    https://youtu.be/WCSKXugQrP0?t=60
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    A resounding /meh

:|

(seriously, did anyone ask for this?)

I'm wondering about that too. This is absolute insanity. It's like making Horde armor styles available to the Alliance (and vice versa) in World of Warcraft. It makes no sense.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    btgbullseyebtgbullseye Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    madmopar wrote: »
    No one's going to create a klingon now that they have to pay billions for fed ships to get the good ship traits and consoles.

So, according to this, only certain lockbox ship traits and consoles are any good? Maybe you should branch out, and try different consoles and traits sometime, instead of using one really expensive and not at all common build for all your characters.
  • Options
    > @btgbullseye said:
    > So, according to this, only certain lockbox ship traits and consoles are any good? Maybe you should branch out, and try different consoles and traits sometime, instead of using one really expensive and not at all common build for all your characters.

DPRM is pretty common and considered necessary for pushing damage. Hard to branch out when most traits and consoles are worthless compared to lockbox or promo ones.

Blame cryptic for making it that way not me.
  • Options
    p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    I'm personally waiting to see what all breaks with this update.
  • Options
    mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    So why not scratch out KDF recruitment event and instead call it "FED" recruitment event!

Not sure who thought making this an event like this will FLY with the timing of killing a faction.
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,485 Arc User
    madmopar wrote: »
    > @btgbullseye said:
    > So, according to this, only certain lockbox ship traits and consoles are any good? Maybe you should branch out, and try different consoles and traits sometime, instead of using one really expensive and not at all common build for all your characters.

DPRM is pretty common and considered necessary for pushing damage. Hard to branch out when most traits and consoles are worthless compared to lockbox or promo ones.

Blame cryptic for making it that way not me.

"considered necessary for pushing damage"?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/a08bdd3b9db9ad6c6af0f918acab90b5/tenor.gif?itemid=9637070

Bwhahahahahaha.

Yes DRPM is a pretty good console and recommended alot of times by members of the build community. However, to say it is necessary for pushing damage is extremely laughable.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »

When I first heard about the plan to allow the KDF side to use fed ships and vice versa a little while back I didn't really see the downside. "Great" I thought, I can now use my fed c-store ship traits on my kdf characters. Then I read the News and got to the end -Caveats...yikes. I agree this was not done with good intentions -this is just another money grab. Which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to make money - they do need to stay afloat AND turn in a profit, after all.
    But yes, this is just another money grab. Note how you need to have a lvl 65 Klingon, make a new one and bring it there OR pay 2k Zen ("graciously" reduced to 1k at the beginning) to have access to all the ships?

There will be a boom of characters from players that rightfully want to not have to pay for this, and from those that will want the bonuses... and then the population will reach an historical low which, of course, will once more reinforce the "it's not worth it to make anything for Klingons".
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    At first I read this, reached for the pitchfork and raged.

Then I settled, read the reddit post and gave it some thought..

Under the old system, there was basicly ZERO chance of getting much KDF content. The vast majority of players will not roll KDF just to get a Klingon ship when their mains, with all that time and money invested, won't have access to them.

Now IF (and it's a big if) the Feddybear whales and collectors lay out for KDF ships then cryptic have a financial reason to throw us KDF mains a bone every now and again.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,880 Arc User
    Think I will just drop this here....
    Oh%20the%20Huge%20Manatee.jpg
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,485 Arc User