test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disable Runspeed Boosts at The Fast and the Flurrious (except Frosted Boots)

skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
With all the run modifiers it is no longer competitive.

* Jem on White (+25% Increased Run Speed for 5 min)
* Traits
* Endeavor
* Reputation Gear
* Tribble
* Frosted Boots
* Run Modifier
* Edit: Weekly Project: Combat Performance Boost

On Summer it just depends on the Floater (+Tribble) / Powerboard
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Which tribble?

And I oppose your suggestion. Everyone has equal access to these boosts, with work.
  • Options
    skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Which tribble?

And I oppose your suggestion. Everyone has equal access to these boosts, with work.

There are a few tribbles

The White Bonus works only on Jem Hadar.

Consumed by non-Jem'Hadar:

-40% All Damage for 1 min
    -40% Maximum Hit Points for 1 min
    Reduced movement speed for 10 sec

Consumed by Jem'Hadar:

+10% All Damage for 5 min
    +20% Max Hit Points for 5 min
    +25% Increased Run Speed for 5 min
    Empowers Shroud for 3 Hours of Game-Time

Q's Winter Wonderland is accessible to all captains that have completed their tutorial and selected an allegiance.

Therefore all level should have a chance to win. In the first years it was a equal competition.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Exactly, it's not equal whatsoever. Jem'hadar with white was also the first thought that came to mind, seeing how the boost works in the Winter Wonderland.

Perhaps to satisfy everyone, there could be a second race right after the first, one that allows boosts (minus White speed boost), with higher rewards.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    all of these things do add up of course. but

the endeavor boost, the Jem boost, and the roll boost are potent.
    maybe endeavor is even strongest.
    haven't seen any hoppers this year. maybe all these boosts finally top that cheat.

Anyway, I say have at it and boost awaaaayyyyy
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I agree while the Race is not a must, it needs to be fair for all by any means
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The main issue I see is that it affects stats. Not gear.
    I just don't see how you can turn things like that off without causing some kind of problem like a bug at best, or just total shutdown of those stats EVERYWHERE at worst.

Its messing with code that is intertwined with so many other things... I personally would not risk it. Besides... you're racing for Epohh Tags. Unless you absolutely MUST have every Epohh variant as soon as possible... is it really necessary to try and nerf things that may have a far broader impact than intended?

Besides... going faster doesn't always mean you win. You're sliding around on ice. Unless you are a master at maneuvering on ice at high speeds, human error is always a factor, and someone who doesn't have those stats can still come out on top because they're not sliding all over the place out of position. Add to that the flag mechanic... its still anyone's race if the guys who get there first can't recover fast enough to spam the interact to get it. And even if they can and someone else takes it, the flag moves forcing them to respond.

For the record, I don't do the PvP race. I got an Epohh. I just don't have the bank space to try and have an Epohh Ranch.

TL;DR version: When dealing with code, if it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. Might just break it worse instead.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The main issue I see is that it affects stats. Not gear.
    I just don't see how you can turn things like that off without causing some kind of problem like a bug at best, or just total shutdown of those stats EVERYWHERE at worst.

There are many games that use a global effect on endgame raids/dungeons. "Demon Lords Fury" while in the realm of the demon lord defense -25% and health-30%, as an example. Setting a global "run speed=base" or setting a run speed equal to all, could be a "Q condition" on just the map.

Of course your worry of game breaking would still exist because of "Cryptic Programing Magic". It still might be a valid way of addressing the concerns of fairness.

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Allow all types of boost or allow none. Hand-picking whichever one(s) you might have is just sad. If you don't have one or some of the boosts & aren't winning enough then give the effort & acquire the boots you're missing if winning is that important to you.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    if it bothers you so much roll a Jem Hadar.
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    Allow all types of boost or allow none. Hand-picking whichever one(s) you might have is just sad. If you don't have one or some of the boosts & aren't winning enough then give the effort & acquire the boots you're missing if winning is that important to you.

This exactly.

Two more points -
    1) Winter Event is sponsored by Q, and Q is all about trickeration.
    2) If you're worried about fairness, encourage Cryptic to do something about people jumping over the starting gate before it drops. I am seeing that more and more this year, and that is definitely cheating. Though I must confess it's extra satisfying to beat someone who cheats the start like that. In my observation thus far, they are usually not very skillful racers.

• Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    skk1701j wrote: »
    With all the run modifiers it is no longer competitive.

* Jem on White (+25% Increased Run Speed for 5 min)
    * Traits
    * Endeavor
    * Reputation Gear
    * Tribble
    * Frosted Boots
    * Run Modifier
    * Edit: Weekly Project: Combat Performance Boost

On Summer it just depends on the Floater (+Tribble) / Powerboard

Other than the fleet project (because it requires a fleet leader to load the project, something a player can't directly control) everything else you could obtain and use.

All the stuff that any player can control and use and enable:
    Make a Jem
    Get the traits and enable them
    Focus your Endeavor points and spend them on run speed.
    Get more rep gear and use
    Get a tribble and use
    Get frosted boots and use
    Enable any run modifiers (ground weapons, available at vendor trash cost of around 4,000 ECs, have RUN)

If you refuse to use advantages that are available to you, that's a YOU problem not a game problem.

By your logic, all advantages on all contests should be wiped because you can't be bothered to get them and/or use them.
    Hard pass, I worked for my stuff, you should work for your stuff too.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    I oppose this.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Reading most of these post STO should put in place a tier level for the race like the the TFO's. because TRIBBLE the new people to the game how dare they have a chance.
    All the the OP was asking for fair chance across the board no mater how long you played the game.
  • Options
    howtor wrote: »
    Reading most of these post STO should put in place a tier level for the race like the the TFO's. because TRIBBLE the new people to the game how dare they have a chance.
    All the the OP was asking for fair chance across the board no mater how long you played the game.

It is a "fair chance across the board". I'm pretty sure all the items & abilities that provide a run boost can be earned, not sure since I only have a couple otherwise it is luck with lag &/or skill determining winning & losing the race.

Keep complaining &/or educate yourself about the items & abilities that provide a run boost get motivated & earn them.

This is right up there with the Summer & Winter Event race complainers about: "I really won the race but I didn't click the flag".

Brand new players don't automaticaly get all the items & abilities long-term players have earned over the years & this race is a microcosm of the STO game overall so you can take your self-entitlement & buy a participation trophy with it.
  • Options

It is a "fair chance across the board". I'm pretty sure all the items & abilities that provide a run boost can be earned, not sure since I only have a couple otherwise it is luck with lag &/or skill determining winning & losing the race.

Keep complaining &/or educate yourself about the items & abilities that provide a run boost get motivated & earn them.

This is right up there with the Summer & Winter Event race complainers about: "I really won the race but I didn't click the flag".

Brand new players don't automaticaly get all the items & abilities long-term players have earned over the years & this race is a microcosm of the STO game overall so you can take your self-entitlement & buy a participation trophy with it.

wow grow up the person who feels self entitled is you, someone make a suggestion and you go all out MINE MINE MINE this is supposed to be an event where everyone should be able to compete and enjoy it equally, but take comfort you are the reason new players leave this game, soon you will have it all for yourself
  • Options

wow grow up the person who feels self entitled is you, someone make a suggestion and you go all out MINE MINE MINE this is supposed to be an event where everyone should be able to compete and enjoy it equally, but take comfort you are the reason new players leave this game, soon you will have it all for yourself

Why because I suggest you could possibly complain less & work more to acquire those run-boosters that are available? By the way it is only "MINE MINE" since I already stated I only use a couple of the run-boosters. Do you comprehend it is a competition? I think it even has "competitive" in the mini-event title so no matter how "equally" you want it, which usually just means you want it placated until you win. I stand by my analogy of that race being a microcosm of the overall game. Everyone can compete & if your enjoyment is predicated on only winning then that is on you. Invest the time to acquire the run-boosters &/or get better at racing. Also, switching instances to a less filled instance for racing works sometimes too.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Victory is life.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Are those Epohhs really a must have though? Win or lose you eventually get enough to get an Epohh because you ALWAYS get tags. Placing just gives you more tags.

So... um... what's the point now?

Respectfully, I feel like this whole thing is turning into a debate on what is considered fair, with everyone having different opinions.

One person basically says nerf everyone to the same stats, another says that everyone can obtain the boosts that exist so no nerfs...

IMO its getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised for calls to nerf all the Risian Hoverboards down to Tier 1 levels so that everyone has a chance to get all the monkey tags because top tier hoverboards are unfair to those who don't have them.

Its turning into a have/have not argument. Which is not going to solve ANYTHING.

foppotee is right in that everyone can get the boosts. The only thing inhibiting someone from doing it is probably a personal drive to do so.

As they say: Where there's a will there's a way. STO doesn't stop one from getting those boosts, so they are fair game for those who did get them. Dumbing down everything to basically brand new player levels, while technically fair for said demographic, is also unfair to those who put in the time and effort to get those things. And unfortunately if Cryptic caves on this... where does it stop? This is a can of worms best left alone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Are those Epohhs really a must have though? Win or lose you eventually get enough to get an Epohh because you ALWAYS get tags. Placing just gives you more tags.

Respectfully, I feel like this whole thing is turning into a debate on what is considered fair, with everyone having different opinions.

One person basically says nerf everyone to the same stats, another says that everyone can obtain the boosts that exist so no nerfs...

IMO its getting to the point where I wouldn't be surprised for calls to nerf all the Risian Hoverboards down to Tier 1 levels so that everyone has a chance to get all the monkey tags because top tier hoverboards are unfair to those who don't have them.

Its turning into a have/have not argument. Which is not going to solve ANYTHING.

foppotee is right in that everyone can get the boosts. The only thing inhibiting someone from doing it is probably a personal drive to do so.

As they say: Where there's a will there's a way. STO doesn't stop one from getting those boosts, so they are fair game for those who did get them. Dumbing down everything to basically brand new player levels, while technically fair for said demographic, is also unfair to those who put in the time and effort to get those things. And unfortunately if Cryptic caves on this... where does it stop? This is a can of worms best left alone.

The point of the Epohhs is to turn them in for marks, same as you do the monkeys and birds in the Summer Event. Seriously, rattler, you didn't know that?

There's a little thing like a birdbath just to the left of the Epohh Lady as you are facing her. TRIBBLE the stupid epohhs, I'm in it for the marks.

But back to the basic point - character advancement is a central concept of the MMORPG. You invest time and effort, and your character becomes more effective. If you are attacking that, then you have no business playing any MMORPG.

• Options

Why because I suggest you could possibly complain less & work more to acquire those run-boosters that are available? By the way it is only "MINE MINE" since I already stated I only use a couple of the run-boosters. Do you comprehend it is a competition? I think it even has "competitive" in the mini-event title so no matter how "equally" you want it, which usually just means you want it placated until you win. I stand by my analogy of that race being a microcosm of the overall game. Everyone can compete & if your enjoyment is predicated on only winning then that is on you. Invest the time to acquire the run-boosters &/or get better at racing. Also, switching instances to a less filled instance for racing works sometimes too.[/quo

First off we got off on the wrong foot. I respect how much work you and others have put into this game, I have been playing since 2012 myself believe me I understand. and I could have phrased it better but I there was no need for the personal attacks against me, they were way uncalled for and you really need to look at yourself if that is the first thing you turn to.

Winning is not everything for me but enjoyment is. why bother having a race only the top 10% will always win that is not a competition in any form. I stand by my idea of a tier system like in TFO's that level one no buffs (except boots) level 2 some buffs can be decided, and level 3 all buffs. as you go up in tier you get better rewards.

I am open to continue to discuss this more because I think we all can work together to make the game enjoyable for everyone just lets both be civil.

I do apologize for my tone there was no need for it
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    Apply a region trigger in the map that overrides player speed stat values and caps max sped at the max speed of the slowest participant. This will put all racers on equal footing.

really? why not just give everyone a participation trophy?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    while i get the argument. it is also not something i worry about since its just for fun and one doesnt get mark TRIBBLE gold items for it.
    yes, i see a valid reason for the post, and for that, i can vote for it. aside from that, its not a game changer for me.

ive only won a race once anyway. 1st place that is. i can get 3rd a lot. :)

I can't run the race to save my soul. I'm not demanding that the game be changed to suit me. I want the ship I grind the fishing or chase Krampiri around.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options

actually it boils down to what you said early on.. TL;DR Don't FECK with the programming.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options

Why because I suggest you could possibly complain less & work more to acquire those run-boosters that are available? By the way it is only "MINE MINE" since I already stated I only use a couple of the run-boosters. Do you comprehend it is a competition? I think it even has "competitive" in the mini-event title so no matter how "equally" you want it, which usually just means you want it placated until you win. I stand by my analogy of that race being a microcosm of the overall game. Everyone can compete & if your enjoyment is predicated on only winning then that is on you. Invest the time to acquire the run-boosters &/or get better at racing. Also, switching instances to a less filled instance for racing works sometimes too.[/quo

First off we got off on the wrong foot. I respect how much work you and others have put into this game, I have been playing since 2012 myself believe me I understand. and I could have phrased it better but I there was no need for the personal attacks against me, they were way uncalled for and you really need to look at yourself if that is the first thing you turn to.

Winning is not everything for me but enjoyment is. why bother having a race only the top 10% will always win that is not a competition in any form. I stand by my idea of a tier system like in TFO's that level one no buffs (except boots) level 2 some buffs can be decided, and level 3 all buffs. as you go up in tier you get better rewards.

I am open to continue to discuss this more because I think we all can work together to make the game enjoyable for everyone just lets both be civil.

I do apologize for my tone there was no need for it

If you read our posts chronologically I don't believe I began with any personal attacks, you did with "TRIBBLE the new people" as the example.

My very first sentence, outside our posts, about this issue was: "Allow all types of boost or allow none."

Although your tiered system for the "competitive" event has merit I personally think it is too much hassle for such a small short mini-event, but you didn't even suggest: "I stand by my idea" till your last post so there's that unless I missed it somewhere.
  • Options
    Apply a region trigger in the map that overrides player speed stat values and caps max sped at the max speed of the slowest participant. This will put all racers on equal footing.

really? why not just give everyone a participation trophy?

How about because I believe that a competition needs to put everyone on equal footing, with no unfair advantages

If what you are calling "unfair advantages" are the items & abilities providing run-boosts do you realize they're in-game & all of them can be earned by all?
  • Options
    daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    Yes today I raced with a Jem'Hadar and the the guy finished the race much earlier than all we did...
This discussion has been closed.