test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Best Served Cold Event

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480683-it-is-very-cold...in-space

What would be the reason for different rewards for different platforms?

Comments

• Options
    p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Apparently you have to purchase the Targ of Gre'thor from the C-store for zen.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I was seriously hoping for a break the month long events every month for the entire year has drained me something bad and I seriously need a 3 wk break before the holiday event shows up and now that just got shot to hell, Thanks Cryptic, for not thinking about giving people a break who cant do month long events 12 months a year out of 12 due to the stress constant grinding causes. *Oh and dont anyone suggest buyouts cause that is for people willing to pay for FREE items. I REFUSE TO PAY FOR FREE ITEMS!*
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Another 14-day event just after a 20-day one?

That freaking timing... and with one of the most annoying TFO at that.

And with platform-exclusive rewards, because it wasn't annoying enough.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    Not surprised that the targ with the blades is added as a reward. Nice.
    Any TFO is better than what is playing at this time.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    another event that feels like pulling teeth....

At least the reward is decent Klingon content. Funny how the KDF stuff is always both factions....
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I'm getting tired of all the events, but at least its an easy way to get marks for leveling the reputationions on more neglected toons.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    > @fallenkezef#4581 said:
    > another event that feels like pulling teeth....
    >
    > At least the reward is decent Klingon content. Funny how the KDF stuff is always both factions....

I agree. The event is bad but the reward worth a shot. Like the last one was for epg builds this one could be for ground.

At least playing through will not be as painful as Synth but surely no fun either.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Targ! 💞🐽
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I don't want any of this stuff, so I'll pass.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Kratos exists in the ST universe? Interesting... Would he approve of the Klingons altering one of his Blades of Chaos?
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Targ! 💞🐽

Bacon and optional Eggs.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Wonder if we might be able to use TFO Commendation tokens? I still have a huge bunch of those saved.

• Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Makes me wonder if there's going to be any changes to the Operation. Story changes make some of the dialogue make less sense. Then again I suppose most TFOs and battlezones are temporally locked. (and only some have hand-waving in their story resolutions, such as T'Ket's rogue Heralds after the ceasefire.)

I also wonder about mechanics changes, such as the 1st round Timer, or new difficulty options. I feel bad using some of my highly geared out characters on Event queues if there's a chance I might accidentally afk a pick-up team member; therefore I'd happily run Advanced or Elite versions to reduce that chance.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    Please stop it.
    Stop it with one even after the other. It's killing any joy I get from playing the game by turning it into a job.
    Stop with the platform exclusives. Just stop it.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    What Som said. If you don't want to do them, don't do them.

I want the targ, so I do them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I wish they would give more time between events

Apart from that any TFO is better than the last one we got
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    In general, I like having the events. There are some days I have very little time and I like knowing I can work toward the rewards in a play session under 30 min.

That said, some of the TFOs have been more enjoyable than others.
    And I do not understand why the rewards are different on different platforms. I don't remember seeing that happen before. Any reason it is being done?
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I guess the different rewards was done for low amount of people they play the game both on console and on PC to have a tiny bit different experience. Its just a guess though
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    > @echatty said:
    If you don't want to do them, don't do them.

This advice makes no sense. In other words it is no advice at all.

RPG games are about progressing our characters. Recommending someone not to go for it is like recommending someone in a jump & run game to skip the jumping.

Players are not complaining that they are expected to jump. Players complain how horrendously poor jumping is implemented. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    I have to agree with Som on this one. Its not a required thing. Its purely optional. Would it benefit a fully geared character? Probably not. Would it benefit a new character? Probably. But its the equivelent of a side quest reward. Nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

Will I get it? Probably. Gives me something to do. Although on one hand I am getting a bit burned out by the event spam. On the other hand... we kinda did it to ourselves in a way. People used to complain about not having anything to do between content drops. Well... we got something now. Although I wish it was a bit more forgiving for those of us suffering event fatigue.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Your not progressing your character at all by doing these events.
    It gives no XP at all? No marks? No "free" Dilithium past the 14-day mark? No single drop outside of the targ?

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    > @starcruiser#3423 said:
    > Wonder if we might be able to use TFO Commendation tokens? I still have a huge bunch of those saved.

Hm that’s a good idea if it works. Have 14 on my main toon left. But I don’t know. If events have shown me one thing the past year it is that they don’t have the habit of getting any better. The rewards on the other hand do. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    It really isn't progression. Its just getting rewards to spend as you please. I hate to use a job analogy but... would getting paid for a day's work count as progression?
    While yes the marks can be good for those who aren't capped out on their reps, for those that are... its just more DL.
    It really isn't progression. Its a side quest with benefits.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I hate to use a job analogy but... would getting paid for a day's work count as progression?
    Are you seriously asking this question... in 2020, during a pandemic?
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Not liking another long, 3 week yawn, event but as others have stated if players don't like it or think it is worth the reward then we don't have to participate so no problem. & it doesn't seem to be part of an overall longer campaign event to earn a ship token neither.

I would've rather had the Molor's sword as a reward, being pc, but as someone mentioned previously Cryptic probably or will switcharoo the rewards between pc & console in a later event & they may not be saying as such now in an attempt to keep Cryptic's fear-of-missing-out (FOMO) exclusivity going.

Not a fan of making specific Klingon canonical items available to non-Klingon-aligned especially since Cryptic doesn't like to do so for the opposite aligned & the recent Mirror Dread would've been a good candidate to do so. These should've been Klingon-aligned only rewards then toss-in a generic whatever but close to same tier reward for Feds. I could've even seen a Fed-Klingon character having access for those that have purchased that species. But again this makes perfect sense by Cryptic being the Year of Klingon.

Cryptic's combat pets haven't impressed me much over the years, not till this recent mini Elachi Walker, well done there Cryptic, so I'll wait to see the stats. Most pets have at least 2+ minute cooldown & only last for up to 30 seconds so imo probably not worth 3 weeks of unenjoyable grinding. Maybe there will be a buy-out option, I definitely could see the more wallet priviledged taking advantage of that option.

If someone is a big fan of the "Best Served Cold" TFO then this is a win win lol. Waiting for the more intricate stats but I'll probably skip this 1.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    > @saurializard said:
    > (Quote)
    > It gives no XP at all? No marks? No "free" Dilithium past the 14-day mark? No single drop outside of the targ?

Hehe man... the arrogance of some peeps telling others how they should play or what to get in this game is really amazing, isnt it?

Only works in STO forums. In game I bet you would not even notice them outside team chat. :D
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.