Install Arc
Options

New Best Served Cold Event

13»

Comments

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Dammit, Somtaaw, don't do this again!

I have had enough of you hijacking threads with your wall o' text, point-by-point refutations of everything everybody says posts that are 3 screenfuls long. You made your point. Most of us have agreed with you. Just be an adult and let it go.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    They've also mentioned wanting to do a pet tab, but that really doesn't mean much until they actually say they're adding one.
    The biggest problem they have cited is that player inventory, both the actual character inventory, and ship inventory, is the single biggest database draw the game has, by a large margin. And they can't really justify giving players all this extra inventory space, and thus further weighing down the database.

Though they have also claimed to be looking into ways to reduce that load.

Its because of how awfully they programmed the inventory. I know someone in coding and they explained in pretty good detail how terribly coded the STO inventory is, and why its such a big drain. Its a relic from when the game launched, various shortcuts the devs took back then, and even to nowadays they have yet to fix it, or attempt to recode it to function better. (Could be because of a fear of breaking more stuff by recoding the inventory, but its definitely an issue caused by them)
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    The bit about 76 is partially incorrect, its only actual equipment armor and weapons thats a big draw, all other items have a super minor effect. (Its why duping weapons could crash a sever if they duped too many, but duping things like scrap had no noticeable affect on the server)
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    It could be worse. In LOTRO consumable items, for example, can be Unbound, Bound to Character, Bound to Account, and Bound to Account Purchased from Store. So four potential stacks for the same consumable not even factoring in stacking limits, and moving an Item into the Vault may have the same binded-type Item not stack. You have to take them out of the Vault into Inventory and manually stack them. Something about their search routines look first for Bound to Account Purchased from Store first and then giving up on no match.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    It could be worse. In LOTRO consumable items, for example, can be Unbound, Bound to Character, Bound to Account, and Bound to Account Purchased from Store. So four potential stacks for the same consumable not even factoring in stacking limits, and moving an Item into the Vault may have the same binded-type Item not stack. You have to take them out of the Vault into Inventory and manually stack them. Something about their search routines look first for Bound to Account Purchased from Store first and then giving up on no match.

I'm glad there's only a few times that happens in STO. Small Hypos from a new BOFF are one of them, they come bound and won't stack with others. I do also get annoyed that 23rd Century items like Hypos don't stack with 25th Century ones, and the only difference is the visual icon. But on that front, it's way better than Neverwinter (looking at my 4+ separate stacks of EVERY refining item depending on whether it is Unbound, Acc Count, Char Bound, a +1 version of same thing, or something else I haven't figured out yet).
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I'm passing. My guy has his birthday coming up, thanksgiving to do, and I'm just plain TIRED of play tfos back to back. the only good thing for me is I think I'm done with STO till the new year, other than getting enough ornaments in QWW to get some kits anfd froste boots for alts who don't have them.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    closed by request of op
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.