test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

short and sweet briefing on new TFO

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The forum fix can't be rolled out until the obligatory timegate has expired
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    People have mentioned that the enemy seems to deal hardly any damage and players are basically invulnerable.

I suspect that the damage output of the synths was drastically reduced because the expectation of the TFO is that the players will be using their transporters half the time, which *should* cause their shields to drop while they do that. Only this effect was not implemented in the TFO so player ships keep their shields up while using transporters, which shouldn't be possible. Perhaps they forgot to add this, but if the synths are using a lot of projectile weapons then the TFO becomes much more dangerous if your shields are expected to be down half the time.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    smi3th wrote: »
    People have mentioned that the enemy seems to deal hardly any damage and players are basically invulnerable.

I suspect that the damage output of the synths was drastically reduced because the expectation of the TFO is that the players will be using their transporters half the time, which *should* cause their shields to drop while they do that. Only this effect was not implemented in the TFO so player ships keep their shields up while using transporters, which shouldn't be possible. Perhaps they forgot to add this, but if the synths are using a lot of projectile weapons then the TFO becomes much more dangerous if your shields are expected to be down half the time.

Yeah, they didn't even itch my Maquis. Don't think my shields were ever fully depleted.

However on the transporter, takign damage and firing weapons doesn't end the process. The small area you have to do both though... yeah... hence my previous park and pew comment. You can fly out of range pretty easily.

Also, when doing the beam up and beam down portions of this, I noticed that the player can hold a maximum of three beam ups, before needing to find transports.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    However on the transporter, takign damage and firing weapons doesn't end the process. The small area you have to do both though... yeah... hence my previous park and pew comment. You can fly out of range pretty easily.

Yeah the one time I ended up doing the TFO so far I ended up dropping to 1/4 impulse while doing the transporting. Theoretically you should also be taking more damage at such a point because your speed dropped, but it wasn't much of a problem.

Again, your shields were probably supposed to drop while using the transporter which would make this a much more dangerous mission.

• neutronium09#8310 neutronium09 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I have to add one more thing about this mission. I normally play with the music off and listen to podcasts or music to my own tastes. I heard the mission music in a video play through today. I really hate it. Sounds like something from a carnival track rather than something from Star Trek and battle tense. It goes so against the grain, ruining your immersion, that I honestly feel it hurts playing it.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @neutronium09#8310 said:
    > I have to add one more thing about this mission. I normally play with the music off and listen to podcasts or music to my own tastes. I heard the mission music in a video play through today. I really hate it. Sounds like something from a carnival track rather than something from Star Trek and battle tense. It goes so against the grain, ruining your immersion, that I honestly feel it hurts playing it.

Lol yep. I had a similar thought. It is totally out of place. It would fit that Friday the 13th episode though. 😆
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    it's out of place compared to the rest of the game's music, but not out of place for the TFO, given the track is Mars, Bringer of War, but run through a synthwave algorithm

synth

wave

get it?

cryptic wanted to make absolutely sure you all get it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    To call it synth is a real discredit to music, it sounds like it was plinked out on a basic casio keyboard.

A proper synth remix of mars would have a hell of a lot more power and oomph to it if it was done by a proper musician who didn't want to disrespect the source material. Doesn't even have any attempt at a bass line.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Finally played this mission. It was fun enough (the first time; can't say how I'll feel a dozen rounds later). No bugs that I noticed.

That said, visual spam is really out of hand at this point and the devs need to figure out some kind of solution. There are time when there are so many graphics on the screen you can't even see the ships, and I kind of want to see the ship I paid for :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    To call it synth is a real discredit to music, it sounds like it was plinked out on a basic casio keyboard.

A proper synth remix of mars would have a hell of a lot more power and oomph to it if it was done by a proper musician who didn't want to disrespect the source material. Doesn't even have any attempt at a bass line.

I believe the music is an Easter Egg. It is very 8-bit sounding because it sounds very much like the music in the old 25th Anniversary computer game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_25th_Anniversary_(computer_game)

LOL. :lol:
  • haglahayhaglahay Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    This TFO is neither fun or interesting, and it's too long. I like these events, but the maximum buyout should never be more than 2000 zen. The thought of doing this another 18 times makes me want to scream.

And I have to shut the music off. Awful. Easter egg or not it's like nails on a chalkboard.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    cirran1 wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVE the new TFO. I am using my T5U Odyssey, and she can take one hit outside the perimeter and keep on trucking. I love the pew pew pew, transport under fire, and the shrinking perimeter mechanics. One of the best TFOs in my opinion. Well done Cryptic, very well done.

Cirran

Yeah I noticed my Oddy (T6-X in my case) could just ignore the nukes outside too... Then again, it needed to, since slowing and turning takes about a week in that thing.
  • diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    The first time I played it I hated it. It has that stuck ship glitch and it was 30+ minutes of agony.

Second time was about 15 minutes. I like that it tries to foster team work. After the second run I can say I like it and can probably get through 20 or more repetitions.

I do agree the music is a bit grating. I think I will shut it off when I play it next.
    The music does fit as its Mars from the planets suite by Gustav Holst.

What makes it painful is the tonedeaf choice of bad midi file and relatively tiny loop that turns it into the auditory abomination that it is. They should have gone for a more epic bladerunnery style synth sound that would fit the "synth" theme of the TFO and also the epicness of the source composition.
  • neutronium09#8310 neutronium09 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I have just tried to play this TFO twice in a row. It has bugged out both times... Had to exit the game each time. No more for me until it is patched.
    I have just tried to play this TFO twice in a row. It has bugged out both times... Had to exit the game each time. No more for me until it is patched.

Rescue as few ships as possible and ignore the rest, the buggy end is down to the overcrowding. Couple of frigates each and you're golden.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Can they just implement an option where I hit myself in the head with a hammer on camera for five minutes instead of churning through this tedious slog and praying it doesn't glitch out in the end?
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    2nd run tonight. Enjoyed it for the most part; a transport got stuck at the end and after we let them destroy it everything finished fine. I think going forward I am going to replay the episode every 3rd day on a different alt, and then do the TFO the next 2 times on that same alt. I have Fed, KDF, ROM, Card, and JH characters so spreading it around all of those characters the way I mentioned should be enough variety to keep it from feeling too monotonous :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Tonight the last phase dragged on and on. Two players left. All of a sudden it was complete.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tharsonius42tharsonius42 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    It's still broken. They just added a secret 10 minute (?) timer to the last phase. I just did 2 runs. run 1 bugged transporter (sorted by letting it die). Run 2 bugged transporter (got destroyed) and hen frigate in starbase. After 10 minutes or so it auto finished. Frigate still happy and well inside the base.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    not sure i like either one. but the space mission seems easier overall.
    im wondering if it (the ground) was more difficult since i have not redone my skills yet.
    as it stands, they are both long and tedious.

Yeah, this.

I tried my third run at the TFO last night. We got to the point where Announcer Dude says something about how we've done all we can do here, all ships break off, and from there it just went on and on and on and on and on. It wouldn't end. There must have been a hundred of those damn synth frigates zipping around, and I died several times. It was horribly frustrating. I finally just bailed in disgust.

Tonight I did the Nimbus III episode. It was tediously repetitive and unappealing, but the only real problem was that poor map design caused my GPU to run a bit hot, enough to actually hear the fan. MSI Afterburner said the GPU peaked out at a temp of 73C, which is a bit warm. The T-Rex and the giant Targ were amusing, I'll give it that much.
  • siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    I tried my third run at the TFO last night. We got to the point where Announcer Dude says something about how we've done all we can do here, all ships break off, and from there it just went on and on and on and on and on. It wouldn't end. There must have been a hundred of those damn synth frigates zipping around, and I died several times. It was horribly frustrating. I finally just bailed in disgust.

Tonight I did the Nimbus III episode. It was tediously repetitive and unappealing, but the only real problem was that poor map design caused my GPU to run a bit hot, enough to actually hear the fan. MSI Afterburner said the GPU peaked out at a temp of 73C, which is a bit warm. The T-Rex and the giant Targ were amusing, I'll give it that much.

The biggest issue in my opinion isn't either of these things. I mean they'll probably fix the bug on Tuesday... probably. The problem is that we need to repeat these travesties 20 times. It sucks all the fun out of a game! Yay for new content, even buggy new content, but nay for having to repeat this content ad nauseam over 20 days. Would rather scoop out eyes with a rusty spoon by the end of it.
    The all ships break off is basically a final exodus of npc ships focussing on the frigates, cruisers and battlecruisers. Some folk have said the BC's are more prone to getting stuck in the station so another reason to rescue 2-3 transports per player and afk autofire the rest of the TFO.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The all ships break off is basically a final exodus of npc ships focussing on the frigates, cruisers and battlecruisers. Some folk have said the BC's are more prone to getting stuck in the station so another reason to rescue 2-3 transports per player and afk autofire the rest of the TFO.

OK, that's an interesting suggestion, thank you! I have been focusing on the larger ships, more fool me.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    Being new, my only issues with it are 1) large slow ships like to bump heads when the perimeter is at its smallest, and 2) when every one starts dropping gravity wells and every other particle effect aoe when we are closed in, it gets really hard to tell what is happening around you leading to a lot of button spam rather than planned action. Finally 3) outside of shooting a hundred gnats, I am not sure if what we do playing really matters. It's okay, I guess. But I am not calling it great.

and yet those grav wells, especially megawells, if placed properly, pull the synth away for the transports. which is exactly what the game calls for. so the space wizards should just not play because it upsets YOU?
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.