test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lower Decks content hopes

jjotterbear#7583 jjotterbear Member Posts: 160 Arc User
I hope some of the first Lower Decks content we'll get will be these 2 beauties!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usjYC7zYSs0&ab_channel=Spacedock
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    Here's a bar of soap. Now use it to wash your mouth for suggesting something like that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Not gonna' lie, I'd be ready to throw some good money at my screen for a California Class starship.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Here's a bar of soap. Now use it to wash your mouth for suggesting something like that.

what he said^
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Definitaly not a fan of the California Class (Cerritos) but the Parliament Class (Vancouver) is a cool looking ship.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    We've seen a grand total of 4 starfleet ships 5 if you count that wierd transport/medical ship with only a handful others mentioned so the pool of ships in LD isn't big enough to say anything yet imho.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    The overwhelmingly Americentric ship naming theme in this series is really getting on my nerves though.

It's an American TV show.

When I watch British shows, I don't get annoyed that they drive on the wrong side of the road. :lol:

Besides, I am pretty sure the origins of the word 'Parliament' are British and Vancouver is in Canada.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Meh - indifferent about these ships, but people like what they like.

The overwhelmingly Americentric ship naming theme in this series is really getting on my nerves though.

Star Trek generally has an anglocentric naming convention. Hood, Enterprise, Excelsior, Yorktown, etc. Now and then you get a Yamato or Akira, but chiefly the names are from the anglosphere I believe. I'd say its because the largest naval tradition with names to draw on comes from the US/UK navies. Japan has its own proud naval tradition for a short time in history, but that doesn't give a lot to draw on. It is also made for an english speaking audience who would associate most of those names with important history.

But, I guess the question is how many ships have even been named on the show?
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User

It's an American TV show.

When I watch British shows, I don't get annoyed that they drive on the wrong side of the road. :lol:

Besides, I am pretty sure the origins of the word 'Parliament' are British and Vancouver is in Canada.

We should get annoyed about that a bit more though.

It'd be the first step towards teaching them some manners. Second thing on the list of course would be to stop pretending they're French when they don't sound like it at all. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User

Star Trek generally has an anglocentric naming convention. Hood, Enterprise, Excelsior, Yorktown, etc. Now and then you get a Yamato or Akira, but chiefly the names are from the anglosphere I believe. I'd say its because the largest naval tradition with names to draw on comes from the US/UK navies. Japan has its own proud naval tradition for a short time in history, but that doesn't give a lot to draw on. It is also made for an english speaking audience who would associate most of those names with important history.

Even worse, I was reading a video of Enterprise a couple of days ago. Someone in the comment section wondered what Dominic Keating (Reed) and Patrick Stewart would think every time they had to pronounce 'lieutenant' wrong.

I didn't get it. Only after reading that comment and Googling, did I find out that there's a huge difference between British and American lieutenants.

Though I must admit, the American pronunciation does seem more appropriate in this exceptional case.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User

Even worse, I was reading a video of Enterprise a couple of days ago. Someone in the comment section wondered what Dominic Keating (Reed) and Patrick Stewart would think every time they had to pronounce 'lieutenant' wrong.

I didn't get it. Only after reading that comment and Googling, did I find out that there's a huge difference between British and American lieutenants.

Though I must admit, the American pronunciation does seem more appropriate in this exceptional case.
    I dunno about Keating but Steward would have probably not minded at all seeing it as how his character pronounces things, Reed is suppose to be English with a long family tradition of service but Picard is a Frenchman who might not learn English language pronunciation of military ranks until he got to California (aka where Starfleet Academy is) thus it would make perfect sense he'd pronounce things the american way.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I really like the looks of the Parliament pig-1.gif The California is okay, certainly unique.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    "Parliament" is not a common word in the US except in combination with "Funkadelic". The city of Vancouver, WA, like its cousin Vancouver, BC, is named for noted British explorer George Vancouver.

The California-class ships have "American" (really Spanish, in many cases) names because each one is named for a city in California. If we get those ships in-game, I'm torn between the San Marcos and the Chula Vista.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Well we know they will be in the STO before the Nova/Oberth/Saber and SteamRunner but will they be C-Store or Lock Box/Promo Ships?
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator

We also got the Shenzhou in Discovery and Zheng He recently in Picard. Both I believe are Chinese? And wouldn't Prometheus be Greek? And Cerritos sounds spanish. Also pretty sure Hood is British. Is there a USS Hood in the US Navy? Only one I can think of is the HMS Hood from WW2.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

We also got the Shenzhou in Discovery and Zheng He recently in Picard. Both I believe are Chinese? And wouldn't Prometheus be Greek? And Cerritos sounds spanish. Also pretty sure Hood is British. Is there a USS Hood in the US Navy? Only one I can think of is the HMS Hood from WW2.
    Closest a quick search can find me for the US Navy is a WW2-era battleship named USS John Hood, and a pair of ammunition ships, one from WW2 and another from the Cold War (decommissioned in 1999) named USS Mount Hood.

Cerritos is a city in southeast Los Angeles County, originally named Dairy Valley but changed in 1967. It means "little hills". Word of God is that all California-class vessels are named for cities in CA.

Shenzhou, meaning "Divine Land", is one of the historical names for the region now known as China. It's also the name of China's crewed space program; their first crewed craft, launched in 2003, was also called the Shenzhou.

As for Zheng He, he was a Chinese mariner, explorer, diplomat, and fleet admiral in the 1400s; he rose to his position by assisting Emperor Yongle in the overthrow of Yongle's predecessor, the Jianwen Emperor. (Interestingly, Jianwen was not the emperor's name; instead, it's the label applied to his reign as second Ming Dynasty emperor, and means "civility". Well, his reign certainly didn't end in a civil fashion...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I want a California class, and Lower Decks Bridge Officers.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I'll at least take the uniforms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'll at least take the uniforms.

I can almost make those with the academy uniforms, the tops anyhow, and some tight fitting pants, and short boots.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    True. The Academy top is a close match. Just missing the ability to have a strip going down the front like on the actual LD uniforms.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if i end up getting a california, i'll just name mine after one of california's defining features...so, faultline, wildfire or silicone

there's also street defecation, but i don't think the name filter will let me get away with that​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Definitaly not a fan of the California Class (Cerritos) but the Parliament Class (Vancouver) is a cool looking ship.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I can't wait for them to add the costumes and ships and lots of items and equipment and characters, and then suddenly turn it all into a bunch of cell-shaded 2D sprite effects a week later, because CBS doesn't allow non-cartoon depictions of anything LD.

Honestly though, I'm still surprised we haven't seen anything from Picard, save Seven and a single ship. I'd be surprised if we get anything Lower Decks before 3 years of Picard story shoehorning.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I would like to see more than just the ships. Maybe a visit to an animated parallel universe where it looks like the entire mission multi-mission story arc would look like we are playing in the Lower Decks Universe and graphical style.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Honestly though, I'm still surprised we haven't seen anything from Picard, save Seven and a single ship. I'd be surprised if we get anything Lower Decks before 3 years of Picard story shoehorning.
    I suspect Cryptic is largely holding off on Picard because they have said, since before the show came out, that they had a big year 3 story plan for Picard.

Cryptic most likely doesn't want to rush to do Picard stuff, only for the show to come out and go in a different narrative direction.

Like, I would be surprised if the synths, Zhat Vash, and the ancient machine empire, don't play some part in S2 also.

Considering how they went nuts with a bunch of disconnected Discovery storylines, I agree waiting would be a good idea, but am going to remain surprised that Cryptic hasn't acted on it yet.
This discussion has been closed.