test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Well, this is an experience...

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,200 Arc User
So, I have a Gorn captain. He's lower level, not quite to max. I've got him in a T5 Gorn science ship (Varanus). Only a few months ago (the last time I played him), he was quite capable of participating in queues and other such content.

Today, I got on him again and found he simply cannot compete.

I did a queue mission, it was against Tzenkethi ships. They oneshotted him with every shot (ignoring his shields), and he did NO damage to them. Granted, he's only using Mk XII gear, but seriously? Next queue mission was against the Borg. They were hitting him for over 60k damage with every shot (he has 23k hull). Of course, he has no shields in such battles, because of the continuous tachyon beams, shield drains and whatnot. In addition, he does no damage when he's instantly oneshotted in every engagement.

Now, my main characters have far less issues. Sure, they can't damage the Tzenkethi either (my Pathfinder was stuck fighting with a Tzenkethi cruiser in a queue mission for over an HOUR), but they can survive getting hit.

My point here is, I had no idea it was so bad for lower level characters. The difficulty has become so ramped up to accomodate the absurd power creep that it's become impossible for lower levels who don't HAVE all that fancy gear to even play, let alone be competetive.

I'm not sure why I bring this up, honestly. I'm just pointing out something I'm experiencing from the point of view of a lower level character. I can't imagine anyone less committed to the game even bothering once they hit this wall. There's no fun being had, here.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I have a Varanus, will have to see how my lower level kling sci does in it.

I'm no powerful person myself, but I've not had much problem with Tzenkethi with MkXII gear in T5 ships.

Could be your loadout? Traits? I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge can come n and suggest something.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    So, I have a Gorn captain. He's lower level, not quite to max. I've got him in a T5 Gorn science ship (Varanus). Only a few months ago (the last time I played him), he was quite capable of participating in queues and other such content.

Today, I got on him again and found he simply cannot compete.

I did a queue mission, it was against Tzenkethi ships. They oneshotted him with every shot (ignoring his shields), and he did NO damage to them. Granted, he's only using Mk XII gear, but seriously? Next queue mission was against the Borg. They were hitting him for over 60k damage with every shot (he has 23k hull). Of course, he has no shields in such battles, because of the continuous tachyon beams, shield drains and whatnot. In addition, he does no damage when he's instantly oneshotted in every engagement.

Now, my main characters have far less issues. Sure, they can't damage the Tzenkethi either (my Pathfinder was stuck fighting with a Tzenkethi cruiser in a queue mission for over an HOUR), but they can survive getting hit.

My point here is, I had no idea it was so bad for lower level characters. The difficulty has become so ramped up to accomodate the absurd power creep that it's become impossible for lower levels who don't HAVE all that fancy gear to even play, let alone be competetive.

I'm not sure why I bring this up, honestly. I'm just pointing out something I'm experiencing from the point of view of a lower level character. I can't imagine anyone less committed to the game even bothering once they hit this wall. There's no fun being had, here.

really dumb question but did you double check your traits? mine have a naughty habit of going on vacation.
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    First thing that comes to mind is to check whether your traits and whatnot got reset/unslotted somehow.

As for spending an hour killing Anything (let alone in a science vessel).. well, it makes me wonder what kind of build you're using. (Tzenkethi melt like everything else in the presence of the almighty EPG.)

Additionally, if you're getting focused down and are in an uncertain build, odds are you should probably hang back a little and let other people grab aggro first instead of charging in.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Every post from this guy is how the game is too hard and he get's 'one shotted.'

I don't mean to be rude, I am usually the first person to try and help people like this, but the OP has received tons of advice on this board and obviously, he ignores it all. I knew as soon as I saw a thread from this poster, exactly what this was going to be.

I'm sorry marik, but I am going to be blunt here. Star Trek Online isn't the game for you. You struggle massively against all content and despite this communities best efforts to help you, you seem to be taking none of the advice you were given. Constantly posting that the game is 'too hard,' won't fix anything my friend. You have two choices at this point, you either take the advice given and adapt or you simply stop playing. Continuing to complain about this phantom difficulty curve is getting you nowhere. Yes, the game can be tough at some points for new players that aren't ready for it.. we all know that.. but as always, it's simply nothing like what you describe. This is how the game is for YOU.. and that's no one's fault but yours.

Enough already Marik, we get it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    One suggestion would be to create an account at https://stoacademy.com/ so you could post your build in the Academy section of this forum on their skill planner.

I really enjoy playing some of the older Tier 5 ships as well and there's so many people here in this forum with great ideas on how to make the best of them in a fun and cost effective manner.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The character has no rep or other traits, just his racial ones. He only just got his first Romulan traits, which are now equipped.

Sea, I don't ignore advice. Indeed, it's BECAUSE of the advice I've taken that my OTHER characters are as effective as they are. The issue is THIS character, because he doesn't (yet) have access to the things that are apparently required for the later content. I'm simply pointing out how absurdly difficult it is to play the game when you're still not able to properly equip your ship or character.

Are you playing on Normal? or Advanced?

Advanced can be tough if you're undergeared, but Normal should still be ok.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Are you using gravity well on the tzen? That's exactly the wrong thing to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/9t0hkv/four_basic_tips_for_fighting_the_tzenkethi/

GW on tzen is like using BFAW against a voth ship with the Reflection o' Doom active.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Okay so a varanus that can take out ANY normal content... for cheap

Weapon...whatever energy type you want
    EDCS...solanae...if you don't have the core...a fleet one...or anything really.
    Eng: Neut X2, RCS x1
    Sci: EPG x4
    Tac: Energy type booster x2

Boff:

Lt tac: BO 1, BO 2
    LT eng: EPtA 1, EPtA 2
    ens eng: ET 1
    Cmd sci: ST 1, Tykens 1, GW 1, GW 3
    LTC sci: Hazard 1, TBR 1, TBR 2

GW to collect mobs, circle and TBR to do damage. The one RCS will help with the circling. With 4 purple EPG, which should not be that expensive, those TBR with GW and tykens should melt normal mobs. The BO beams are just sugar on top damage. If you can spend more money...yes you can do better...but this is something SUPER cheap that should let you melt through normal just fine with no real resources used.

Nice man.. that actually looks really good.
  • Options
    Okay so a varanus that can take out ANY normal content... for cheap

Weapon...whatever energy type you want
    EDCS...solanae...if you don't have the core...a fleet one...or anything really.
    Eng: Neut X2, RCS x1
    Sci: EPG x4
    Tac: Energy type booster x2

Boff:

Lt tac: BO 1, BO 2
    LT eng: EPtA 1, EPtA 2
    ens eng: ET 1
    Cmd sci: ST 1, Tykens 1, GW 1, GW 3
    LTC sci: Hazard 1, TBR 1, TBR 2

GW to collect mobs, circle and TBR to do damage. The one RCS will help with the circling. With 4 purple EPG, which should not be that expensive, those TBR with GW and tykens should melt normal mobs. The BO beams are just sugar on top damage. If you can spend more money...yes you can do better...but this is something SUPER cheap that should let you melt through normal just fine with no real resources used.

Nice man.. that actually looks really good.

Like I say, I try to take the lessons of forumites like yourself to heart, but it's often not possible, given the cost of many things, and my limited playtime.

I'll let the 'forumite' dig slide.. the reason I said it was nice was because it's effective and dirt cheap. Seriously, look at what he posted.. it's about as cheap as a build can get.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Honestly, it's a science ship with 2 tac console slots. You'd be better served trying to run it with an exo/torp style build. The slotting is very similar to an Intrepid/Pathfinder type, so you may be able to find some good builds for those and adapt. (The thread I mentioned earlier contains my full build for the legendary intrepid).

Also probably good advice, I am not much of a Science captain, but this sounds like good advice as well.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    If you want to stay entirely with plasma and want to keep a torpedo in the rear I would recommend slotting the hyperplasma in the tail, it is one of the few which really does well enough back there to bother with since only the first torpedo needs a lock to fire, the rest of the string will keep firing and follow the first one no matter what the angle is which will allow you turn back toward the enemy while it is still going. Of course that depends on the ship being able to turn fast enough bring the rear torp into arc then turn back again, which I am not sure the Varianus could pull off (never had one so I don't know how it flies).

If your current rear torpedo is a tactical one like the regular plasma torpedoes, I would dump it for a PEP or other science torpedo and slot it in the front (perhaps moving the hyper to the rear). A more normal science torpedo setup would be something like the PEP and maybe the enhanced biomolecular photon or grav-well torp (both front mounted), but you specified plasma.

To support plasma torpedoes properly you need high yield and/or spread.

HY makes the explosion and the radiation cloud (for science torps like PEP) bigger and if the target is destroyed before the torp gets there it locks on to a new target automatically so it is not wasted. In fact, if the enemy is dying quickly you can have your own little plasma torpedo screen floating back and forth which can be a good defense of sorts. One thing to watch out for mixing HY with plasma is to stay out of the blast radius so you do not start yourself on fire.

Spread with a PEP torp results in a sort of popcorn pattern of small radiation clouds from striking a lot of ships at once that fast moving enemy ships can really wreck themselves moving though, and the hyperplasma becomes a very nasty swarm-killer.

If you are serious about using the torpedoes as your main weapon damage then you should probably dump the plasma infusers for ambiplasma envelope consoles since they up the torpedo damage and enhance the burn, the infusers are only good for beams and cannons.

To add insult to injury you could add the Brad Boimler doff (from the currently free lower decks set) if you have room in your active space roster without giving up something more useful, he adds exotic damage clouds to ordinary torpedoes and you probably don't have enough tac slots to keep the special firing modes up 100% of the time (especially if you use one of them for BFAW).

If you really want to knife fight with the ship (which the Gorn Anchor maneuver is) you might want to look into getting the Bajor core (and maybe some or all of the rest of that set) because the syphoning field can give the ship a nice little power boost (along with slightly weakening the enemy) in the middle of an enemy pack like that. Also make sure you have doffs and traits that can enhance using tractor/repulsors as weapons properly, like the tractor beam officer that does an engine drain on TR beam targets.

Also, if you have a Shran-class ship available, the Graviton Displacer console from that would make a good alternative source of the "Gorn Anchor" if you want more SFB space Barbie (though since it doesn't help exotic damage it could be a bit counterproductive).
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Just normal, and ya, I know not to use Gravity Well. I've been using the Tyken's Rift instead, it doesn't draw them together.

Good choice.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Throwing in some random pointers. These are things I make use of when polishing specific builds on ships based on combat tests in solo elite patrols:
    - evasive maneuvers, lower cooldown on it and use it to get places fast: retreat for heals, dodge burst damage (vaadwaur proton barrages etc.), make turns for strafing runs on heavier ships
    - shift subsystem energy: when anticipating lots of damage, raise shields high or max, raise engines to help make turns, raise aux for amplifying all things that rely on aux power, bonus hint: aux dependencies only matter on initial toggle generally, so max it, toggle, switch to another
    - shield tank torpedo damage as they have high innate kinetic damage resistances, shield subsystem power amplifies their effectiveness and regenerative ability depending on captain skill points and other shield regen consoles; retreat, redirect shields, or turn the ship if a shield facing is exposed
    - don't overstack all dmg res as greatly diminishing returns start around I believe 66%
    - establish your primary source of damage: on sci ships secondary deflector matching its set boff powers will add significant DoT as radiation, keeping enemy ships at the center of anomalies amplifies the damage, CtrlX is necessary for bunching up enemies for AoE so their own warp core breaches kill them
    - you need strong healing, if you're not dealing enough damage paired with abilities that heal from damage dealt, then boost aux and slot high level-low CD heals like Aux2SIF plus powerful heal consoles from events
    - keep your defense rating high by moving and adjust it on the go, even heavy ships can leverage ways to keep moving, ex. pilot spec while reversing, boosting turn rate, TBR, MES+doff, romulan cloaks, etc.
    - slot in immunities and use them quickly and preemptively: rock n roll pilot spec, temporal spec backstep, consoles, starship traits, singularity powers
    - use ALL of your abilities strategically, keep their cooldowns running so they don't get wasted sitting idly unless they don't add anything in the moment
    - polish your build: remove and replace anything that's not performing well at the pace of combat your build engages in; this game is a landfill of worthless things to avoid; just one theme gimmick may be all it takes to cripple everything so don't do it unless you're proven overpowered in all scenarios
    - know your enemies: you're dealing with idiotic NPCs that are entirely predictable, with 10 km no-lock fire zones, that can sometimes hit very hard usually in predicable bursts, that are hitpoint sponges, and that often spawn in endlessly as zergs, so use those to your advantage: fly out of range/cloak to heal and help cooldowns (if possible), scatter them or bunch them up, stay on their flanks, divert their focus (pets, friendly NPCs, duplicates, etc.), and avoid whatever it is they tend to do (iconians disables; vaadwaur polaron barrages; borg shield drain and invisible torps; tzenkethi cruiser AoE immunities and strong shields except front plus artilery, etc.)
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    westmetals wrote: »
    Honestly, it's a science ship with 2 tac console slots. You'd be better served trying to run it with an exo/torp style build. The slotting is very similar to an Intrepid/Pathfinder type, so you may be able to find some good builds for those and adapt. (The thread I mentioned earlier contains my full build for the legendary intrepid).

Honestly...not a fan of torps on exotics...unless it's the grav torp or the nuke missles. You should be killings things way before the shields goes down.

Yeah - to be honest I tend to favour exotic + energy weapons of late. I used to run torpedo boats with a sci emphasis but its more than possible to do more damage with Sci abilities alone.

Although I do still use the PEP torpedo on science builds, for obvious reasons.

It can all work. I prefer torpedoes (neutronic, PEP, Dyson reputation one and sometimes other torpedoes that do radiation damage) for my main Sci because you don't have to ensure that your weapon power is at or near maximum.

I like that bit of freedom. And I need it, when running high aux power levels.

That said, all sci builds can be fun. Exotic as a bonus on top of a regular energy build, drain builds with quantum torpedo spreads (for additional artistic value :p )...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    As for content being difficult:

I can understand the feeling. Especially if the OP has taken the advice that was apparently given to him in other threads, it may simply be that you're used to killing stuff much faster and suffering less yourself.

I experience the same thing when levelling, equipping, upgrading and unlocking stuff on a new toon. The difference is noticable. It doesn't have to be the case though, that it's your new toon that anything is wrong with.

I think most players have that same 'problem'.

This discussion has been closed.