test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

With Picard s1 now over, what will change in STO? (potential spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Picard is over. Not only did Picard die, but if a 2nd season were coming, the first one would have ended in a cliffhanger (at the end of Ep. 9). And with Picard having died, continuing would make no sense.

So, Picard, the series, is not going to materially impact STO; and Picard, the person, even less.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    except picard isn't dead and they've already greenlit a second season

you should actually pay attention to things​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    > @captainrc1 said:
    > Who's to say that Data is "permadead"? If there's anything that Star Trek, comic books, and sci-fi in general have taught us, is that there is no such thing.

While there are always outs thanks to various shenanigoats, sometimes that can cheapen a story that was told in my opinion.

Plus Brent Spiner wants Data to be dead dead and I think the game has evolved beyond the point of showing canon characters from the back and unvoiced like that.

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a cop out for a cheap and not so obvious cameo. Let's be real, that could be anyone talking to Sela in that scene.

Who else would be able to tell Sela about her mother though that was that close to Tasha?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options

He died. Yes, he had his little 'Deus ex machina' moment, at the end, but essentially he died. And every character arc story within the series came to its conclusion. So, I'm surprised they greenlit a 2nd season.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    anyone whose heart has ever stopped, lungs stopped taking in air or higher brain functions ceased have 'essentially died' too...guess what? a lot of them came back to life thanks to prompt medical intervention​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    anyone whose heart has ever stopped, lungs stopped taking in air or higher brain functions ceased have 'essentially died' too...guess what? a lot of them came back to life thanks to prompt medical intervention

A lot of them still have their organic components and original brain intact though. For all we know this 'Picard' is just a duplicated copy of the memories of the original Picard in a android construct. Similar argument of Altered Carbon. Is it really you or is it just a very good copy of your consciousness?​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    > @captainrc1 said:
    > Who's to say that Data is "permadead"? If there's anything that Star Trek, comic books, and sci-fi in general have taught us, is that there is no such thing.

While there are always outs thanks to various shenanigoats, sometimes that can cheapen a story that was told in my opinion.

Plus Brent Spiner wants Data to be dead dead and I think the game has evolved beyond the point of showing canon characters from the back and unvoiced like that.

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a cop out for a cheap and not so obvious cameo. Let's be real, that could be anyone talking to Sela in that scene.

Who else would be able to tell Sela about her mother though that was that close to Tasha?

Picard, Riker, Troi, Worf, Geordi, friends from her academy days, Guinen. the crushers. I'm sure there are other options out there too.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @captainrc1 said:

Picard, Riker, Troi, Worf, Geordi, friends from her academy days, Guinen. the crushers. I'm sure there are other options out there too.

Yeah there's plenty of people who knew Tasha well enough to be that person. While the original intention was that figure to be Data it was never out right stated that the figure was Data.
  • Options
    anyone whose heart has ever stopped, lungs stopped taking in air or higher brain functions ceased have 'essentially died' too...guess what? a lot of them came back to life thanks to prompt medical intervention

A lot of them still have their organic components and original brain intact though. For all we know this 'Picard' is just a duplicated copy of the memories of the original Picard in a android construct. Similar argument of Altered Carbon. Is it really you or is it just a very good copy of your consciousness?​​

Or is it a very lame way of continually trying to bring back people/androids that have died/should be dead/whatever? A copy of Data, end then a copy of his copied memory!? When does it ever end? The three USB-sticks were pulled out (incredibly pathetic wannabe repeat of the scene in 2001, when HAL900 gets deactivated). Data's dead already. As is Picard, far as I'm concerned. The series ended beautifully, IMHO: all story lines came to their natural conclusion, and Picard's brain abnormality finally cought up with him, in a dignified death-scene.

Then a Season 2 got greenlit, and, O, lookie, we miraculously fixed you up again. Once more unto the breach! Ugh.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @captainrc1 said:

Yeah there's plenty of people who knew Tasha well enough to be that person. While the original intention was that figure to be Data it was never out right stated that the figure was Data.

I still maintain the voice of the lady in the Terran BZ is that of Tasha Yar, even though ppl deny it.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

He died. Yes, he had his little 'Deus ex machina' moment, at the end, but essentially he died. And every character arc story within the series came to its conclusion. So, I'm surprised they greenlit a 2nd season.

I suspect that word was probably going around with the ratings, the investors, the arbitration between Netflix and Amazon on wanted out. I was confused too, to how things were tied up with a pretty bow. And it then it struck me, they know of the climate on how the show was looking, and decided to do the 'end' wrap.

Currently CBS' stock is not doing so well. And there is rumors that the merger of Paramount and CBS will not probably go through, which mean investors money is not there. Season three of TRIBBLE was paid in agreement from Amazon, to commit no further on that show. Even though with Michael C. hankering that a S2 of Picard in the cards, what is against them now, is the Virus, industry shutdown, and possible Writers strike in May *if it happens* and the Stocks are hurting. And the week before the final chapter aired, they were still doing post production work, a week before the finale.

It maybe months before this virus is burnt out by social separation or we get the vaccine in 18 months to 2 years from now. And there is talk, that this situation goes to the summer, probably ebb low at that time, and then return back in the early fall.

If that happens...that is a wrap for future possible work, and Sir Patrick will be 80 or 83, by the time is truly over. I don't think he will be waiting around that long for a show. He already got paid for S1...

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I guess the only way to know for sure is if Cryptic ASKS him. Anything on our part is just speculation.

He was quite happy having an important role in XCOM 2 (alongside Sirtis, Crosby, Dorn, Schulz and deLancie - War of the Chosen was a TNG reunion party) so he might be down for STO.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @sirsitsalot said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I guess the only way to know for sure is if Cryptic ASKS him. Anything on our part is just speculation.

He was quite happy having an important role in XCOM 2 (alongside Sirtis, Crosby, Dorn, Schulz and deLancie - War of the Chosen was a TNG reunion party) so he might be down for STO.

X-Com 2 is also single player game with limited content updates, now Frakes might be willing to be Riker for a few missions or so (like Levar Burton as Geordi) but replacing the main contact for the federation characters is in a totally different scale, now consider how many lines Quinn has in STO at this point and remember that Frakes would have record "Riker versions" of all of them not mention every single future federation mission where they'd use the main contact.

Obviously everything we say is speculation but I prefer to do speculation with a cause rather what ever doomsday scenario based on the idea that everyone currently working on Star Trek have fanatical hatred for it which seems to be the norm here.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    'Old Data was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Commander Data was as dead as a door-nail.'.

'This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story... '
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    'Old Data was as dead as a door-nail.

Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Commander Data was as dead as a door-nail.'.

'This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story... '

No, you're right in saying it.

Proceeding to the Scimitar bridge, Data utilized a prototype emergency transport unit concealed in his forearm, to return Picard to the Enterprise. With the thalaron radiation weapon seconds away from firing, Data used his phaser to destroy it, which resulted in the complete destruction of the Scimitar – and Data as well.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Data
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    <John Cleese>Well... he got better.</John Cleese>

Reference
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    On a related note, I just did the First contact day ground patrol and all I could think of was it was a missed oppertunity and would have been awesome to get one or more of the TNG cast in
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I didn’t see anything that would require a retcon other than the status of the Romulan government and its splintering into several states...they name drop one: The Romulan Free State.

And that was 11 years ago in game - so by now all these states have become the '
    "Romulan Republic" OR some have joined with Sela and her new Empire. (So yeah, no retcon needed at all to the current game).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    I've only seen the first two episodes of Picard, so I glossed over a bit of this thread (for now). It seems to me that trying to shoehorn some of the bigger changes from Picard into STO is a fool's errand. STO already ignored the at-the-time most "canonical" timeline, the books, and was content with just sprinkling in references. So STO began as its own universe/timeline already. The biggest problem is the fact that pretty much the entire first part of STO's storyline is set up to explain "how could a supernova somewhere else travel through the galaxy and destroy another system?" Picard basically just says "haha, turns out it was the Romulan star all along!"

There is NO WAY to reconcile that. Period. STO should just recognize that it is its own timeline – which is fine! And given that Picard wasn't even an idea when STO was created, it makes sense. STO doesn't need to write out characters like Hugh or Icheb just because their fates differ in Picard (and I suspect some people might enjoy seeing them here). Picard is an alternate timeline from STO, and that's that.
    I've a theory that in the wake of the dominion war starfleet adopted a more unified hull approuch, thus ensuring ease of logistics etc

That's part of STO's explanation for how all the ships can be customized the way they are - universal modules or some such, that just fit together.
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > It really doesn't actually. All Picard says was that is was the Romulan sun. Any star in the Romualn Star Empire is a Romulan sun.

Indeed. And the person who says "the Romulan sun" is immediately kalisah'd as being someone who is a "stranger to history" so she's hardly someone to be taken at her word.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I want to know why the hell does Romulan that is also half Vulcan need TRIBBLE sunglasses. When Spock who is half human has inner eyelids. Oh I know... because Chabon wanted to TRIBBLE fans off which is what this show represents... One big middle finger. I am sure some people will eat it up like candy and defend it.

“Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to TRIBBLE off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly “Star Trek” is and always has been all about.” -Michael Chabon

Must be nice being high all the time.tumblr_nldagaYgyD1s01qkyo2_250.gifv​​
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I want to know why the hell does Romulan that is also half Vulcan need TRIBBLE sunglasses. When Spock who is half human has inner eyelids. Oh I know... because Chabon wanted to TRIBBLE fans off which is what this show represents... One big middle finger. I am sure some people will eat it up like candy and defend it.

“Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to TRIBBLE off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly “Star Trek” is and always has been all about.” -Michael Chabon

Must be nice being high all the time.tumblr_nldagaYgyD1s01qkyo2_250.gifv​​

Maybe they love wearing sunglasses. Who says that Romulans cannot be fashionable. :wink: Just because you disagree with the show does not mean it represents a middle finger. It is Star Trek, stop acting like a gatekeeper.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Maybe they love wearing sunglasses. Who says that Romulans cannot be fashionable. :wink: Just because you disagree with the show does not mean it represents a middle finger. It is Star Trek, stop acting like a gatekeeper.

Right on cue! I doubt Romulans have the same fashion trend of human beings of this century. This is just one of the many headaches of the series.

Where did I say you're not allowed to talk about or like ST:P? Oh right, I didn't... If the show runner says he wants "to TRIBBLE off and provoke people" and claim he knows Trek better than all of those people. When I say he and the writers of this show give fans the middle finger I am not exaggerating it. He couldn't be any less clear unless he wrote "TRIBBLE you" on your forehead.​​
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @terranempire#7881 said:
    > I want to know why the hell does Romulan that is also half Vulcan need TRIBBLE sunglasses. When Spock who is half human has inner eyelids. Oh I know... because Chabon wanted to TRIBBLE fans off which is what this show represents... One big middle finger. I am sure some people will eat it up like candy and defend it.
    >
    > “Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to TRIBBLE off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly “Star Trek” is and always has been all about.” -Michael Chabon
    >
    > Must be nice being high all the time.(Image)
    > ​​

The same Spock with an inner eye lid that needed to block out the sun With his hand in TMP when he first detected V’ger?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @terranempire#7881 said:
    > I want to know why the hell does Romulan that is also half Vulcan need TRIBBLE sunglasses. When Spock who is half human has inner eyelids. Oh I know... because Chabon wanted to TRIBBLE fans off which is what this show represents... One big middle finger. I am sure some people will eat it up like candy and defend it.
    >
    > “Sometimes you’re motivated to have things simply because it’s possibly going to TRIBBLE off or provoke people who seem to have missed the memo about just what exactly “Star Trek” is and always has been all about.” -Michael Chabon
    >
    > Must be nice being high all the time.(Image)
    >

The same Spock with an inner eye lid that needed to block out the sun With his hand in TMP when he first detected V’ger?

Oh jeez... His hands were raised because he was attempting a mind meld with V'ger... He wasn't covering his eyes to block the light. He screamed in pain because of the psychic backlash not because of UV light... 🙄 I honestly believe it's the kind of thought someone like Kurtzman would have after walking past his neighbours TV set when TMP was on.​​
  • Options
    as for the sunglasses, the devs knew damn well vulcans had an inner eyelid, the sunglasses where intended to be a giant "THIS WOMAN MAY NOT ACTUALLY BE A VULCAN" clue
  • Options
    except romulans are offshoots of vulcans, and 2000 years is not enough time to breed out such a deeply integrated biological defense mechanism​​

#LegalizeAwoo

This discussion has been closed.