test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek rumours

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://www.google.com/amp/s/cosmicbook.news/star-trek-disaster-cbs-all-access-leaks?amp

I find the idea that they might bring in Ira or Ron in to run things is interesting, but honestly I've been hearing from this crowd doom and gloom on Discovery and Picard for so long I can't take it seriously, but if they do replace Kurtzmen, I think Berman is the better choice of course.

If Section 31 one happens it will destroy the last shred of crediblity on Star Trek this crowd has left.

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    It's pointless to even talk about these rumors at this point. I mean, people that love the shows will obviously not believe them and call BS. People that hate the shows will want to believe them and say it justifies their opinion. But how much further can you go with that discussion? Each side will just say the other is wrong, and that is the end of that.

If a show gets cancelled, then we will actually have something to talk about. That said, I bet even if they did decide to cancel a show they wouldn't admit it was actually being cancelled and would just say something like "we told the story we wanted to tell and always planned to stop when that story was finished".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,174 Community Moderator
    Another issue with rumors is that we do have a lot of clickbait rage posters who make like they are an authority on a subject and have insider knowledge about how sucky something is long before it is actually aired for the first time. A certain YouTuber loved to not only slam Discovery, but also started slamming Picard before that show even started, saying it was doomed.

Yea... so doomed they already got picked up for a second season...

Frankly... I wouldn't bother with rumors. Most of the time these days its going to be clickbait ranting about this or that and DOOOOOOOOM... because reasons.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    how people can judge a tv show which has only 3 released episodes; this is crazy. I don't like discovery for a lot of reasons, but why this tv show could be cancelled, with these numbers:

"For the first season, the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an 83% approval rating with an average rating of 7.07/10 based on 71 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Although it takes an episode to achieve liftoff, Star Trek: Discovery delivers a solid franchise installment for the next generation—boldly led by the charismatic Sonequa Martin-Green." The season's average episode rating is 87%.[145] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 72 out of 100 based on reviews from 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[146]

Rotten Tomatoes reported an 83% approval rating for the second season, with an average rating of 7.32/10 based on 29 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "The second season of Discovery successfully—if stubbornly—cleans up the problematic storylines of Trek past while still effectively dramatizing new takes on the lore." The average episode rating for the season is 84%.[147] Metacritic assigned it a score of 72 out of 100 based on reviews from 10 critics, again indicating "generally favorable reviews".[148] " from wikipedia.

Rumors are 1 of the stupid thing invented by humans.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,174 Community Moderator
    Also pretty much everyone wants Anson Mount to get a Pike series.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also pretty much everyone wants Anson Mount to get a Pike series.

I certainly do. He saved disco for me. I guess the only reason they wouldn't do it is if they hate money :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I have no insider information however the rumor’s choice of replacements was very telling.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I like Picard, and Discovery has grown on me (I'll never like Burnham though, the actress is great but what the character did in the pilot was absolutely unforgivable and irredeemable), but I could definitely see a major shake-up happening. Even though I enjoy it Picard HAS been slow to get going, and many of the artistic decisions made in season 1 of Discovery turned off a lot of long time fans. In terms of merchandise I don't think I've even seen so much as a T-Shirt or a Pop! figure for Discovery at any of the stores I go to, which to me says a lot about the show's popularity even though I do watch it and have really enjoyed it since about mid season 1 (did I mention I still hate Burnham though?).

Has CBS released any viewer numbers?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, too many rumors are nothing but hot air.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Lol. So apparently this rumor and the rumors about Seth MacFarlane trying to buy Star Trek was a hoax to troll those who shall not be named but they post a bunch of stuff on YouTube
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The Section 31 series might be decent depending on the story and length. Unless Section 31 deals with the history of Section 31 resulting in its inevitable destruction, then it is better as a miniseries. It seems that Star Trek will have different styles of series that will appeal to different fans. Certain fans of Lower Decks might not be interested in more serious Star Trek series due to its comedic nature.
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    This quote from the posted article says it all and shows how high the BS is piled with this -
    "If anything is not making money, it's gone."

Discovery is working on Season 3 and Picard was already greenlit for Season 2. Money is being made apparently, so the whole article is nonsense.

In the words of Lone Starr:

"We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a TRIBBLE load of money!"

If they aren't making what they expected to then changes will be made, even if it is profitable already.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I did not like Discovery, at all. I DID like the introduction and use of Captain Pike during season 2 and after sampling a couple of episodes, stuck with that season only for that character. I ultimately did not care for Ethan Peck's take on Spock, but would have liked seeing more of Number One. I feel bad for those who've clearly poured quite a bit of effort, talent and resources into the making of Discovery. But they never really seemed to mesh appropriately with Star Trek as a whole and I won't miss them when they are gone.

I have really enjoyed seeing Picard and find the setting, characters and storyline interesting enough to stick with it and see where it is going. I am sorry to hear that more fans aren't willing to do the same and feel betrayed by this effort. Clearly Patrick Stewart wanted to take the character in a new direction and that must not have set well with a great many fans, but I thought that this spin worked much better than anything attempted on Discovery. If Picard manages to at least get its full two season order completed, I will be okay with that. C'est la vie!

However it took Seth MacFarlane of all people to show that faith in the concept of Star Trek would be rewarded by not breaking faith with that audience and we got the topnotch The Orville (which if you haven't watched it, go and give it a view asap). The Orville is better overall than either of the current Trek shows running on the CBS paid streaming service.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Nonsense. Picard has already been renewed, and Discovery's second season was received better than it's first (noticeably with Pike). It'll be interesting to see what it does with Season 3, but that's far from it's final run. Rumours are just that; rumours. Best not believed until there is concrete evidence to the contrary.

Personally, I believe Discovery and Picard are going to be the spark(s) that keep Trek with us for the next decade at least. Not too hot on a Section 31 show either; I'd rather they just run with a Pike show whilst allowing the timeline to adjust; it was stated multiple times in the Discovery S2 final that time isn't fixed, and what was seen in the crystals may not come to pass.

Factor in all the temporal mechanics of Star Trek (as a whole) and you can easily set the Disco-Universe up as it's own thing, or just do a Pike show that all happens before Kirk. They'd surely have a good seven or eight years before Pike's accident, and they can always do two seasons prequel of Discovery, then do the others after.

I for one would love to see more of Pike, Spock and the Enterprise.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    The Orville (which if you haven't watched it, go and give it a view asap).

I liked season one, but after I heard Alara was leaving the show in season two I canceled my DVR recordings and haven't watched another episode. If I'm not mistaken I think I heard it's only on Hulu now, which I no longer have a subscription to anyway.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,646 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    This quote from the posted article says it all and shows how high the BS is piled with this -

Discovery is working on Season 3 and Picard was already greenlit for Season 2. Money is being made apparently, so the whole article is nonsense.

Not necessarily.

DSC was shielded from the need to make a profit by the fact that it was the linchpin of CBSAA and they had nothing to take its place. Getting rolled into Viacom streaming makes that linchpin unnecessary since unlike CBS they can make Viacom movies the backbone. And from the informal Netflix numbers from first season, DSC was unusually expensive for a series (which is not surprising since it was done in the action movie format as much as possible).

And it is not the rumors themselves that had such a bad track record, it was the doomsaying theories that were embroidered from those rumors that were so far off the beam. Ignoring that clickbait the rumors were not any less accurate than other entertainment industry leaks.

And DSC always was a scramble (even more so than most other shows). Back in 2014 entertainment industry magazines were commenting on the fact that Moonves was apparently intending to ignore the Star Trek anniversary entirely since CBS could only do a series and they needed to have already started early preparations if they were going to do one by fall of 2016, but had not made a single move in that direction.

The fact is, the CBS statement that Axanar would directly impact a series they were setting in the same time frame was the first anyone heard of a new Trek show. The mad scramble to start it came after that statement as far as any kind actually visible activity went. And on top of the others about the lateness of the start, the rumors that they would have to postpone the premiere and miss the anniversary were certainly correct.

Other rumors, like Fuller leaving the production, that they were changing the Klingon makeup yet again, that they would have JJisms like the picture windows instead of mainscreens, and many others turned out to be correct as well.

What turned out to not be true were like the rumors that it was an uncontrolled dumpster fire. Judging by Moonves quotes of the old "any press is good press" axiom it was almost certainly meant to generate unparalleled levels of strife in the fanbase and wanted as much free coverage as possible to kickstart the until then lackluster CBSAA.

Personally I think that Moonves misjudged the Trek fans and the "trekker" vs. "trekkie" wedge he drove in did more to damage acceptance of the show than any possible advertisement value it could have had, but there is no way to test that theory without numbers CBS simply does not publish.

Getting rid of Kurtzman actually does make sense if Viacom is trying to reconcile DSC with the rest since he is the last of the high-level execs Moonves appointed to the show so that is likely to be true. However hiring Behr and Moore as troubleshooters is a lot less likely to be true. What they really need would be someone like Straczynski who has a proven track record of weaving together highly dissimilar and often partially contradicting storylines (like superhero comic storylines) together to form a reasonably cohesive and highly entertaining whole.
  • Options
    Like i mentioned before...this was 4chan starting rumors to troll DC and his friends
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Like i mentioned before...this was 4chan starting rumors to troll DC and his friends

True, the McFarlane rumor and some of the others obviously are nonsense, but not all of them are from 4chan. And some of the ones from more conventional entertainment industry channels did turn out to be right. A good rule of thumb is that the wilder the rumors are, and the less news vetting they have to go though first, the less likely they are to be true.

• Options
    flash525 wrote: »
    Personally, I believe Discovery and Picard are going to be the spark(s) that keep Trek with us for the next decade at least. Not too hot on a Section 31 show either; I'd rather they just run with a Pike show whilst allowing the timeline to adjust; it was stated multiple times in the Discovery S2 final that time isn't fixed, and what was seen in the crystals may not come to pass.

Factor in all the temporal mechanics of Star Trek (as a whole) and you can easily set the Disco-Universe up as it's own thing, or just do a Pike show that all happens before Kirk. They'd surely have a good seven or eight years before Pike's accident, and they can always do two seasons prequel of Discovery, then do the others after.

Except that in TOS we do see a crippled Pike, and I believe it was stated by that monk that if he takes the crystal, his fate is sealed. No avoiding that future. Also there was a glimpse of the Discovery style Connie in Picard in a hologram before it shifted to an image of the Enterprise-D.

Trying to write off Discovery as an alternate universe when we now have evidence of one ship design in Picard, which is confirmed to be Prime Universe... is bound to cause yet another string of arguments over pretty much nonsense that will devolve into tribal arguments over who's idea of canon is more right. So lets drop that particular thread.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited February 2020

There's also this.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-renewed-season-4-report-cbs/

Rumors are just that, rumors. They rarely ever prove to be true.... most of the time they're just BS.
  • Options

Except that in TOS we do see a crippled Pike, and I believe it was stated by that monk that if he takes the crystal, his fate is sealed. No avoiding that future. Also there was a glimpse of the Discovery style Connie in Picard in a hologram before it shifted to an image of the Enterprise-D.

Trying to write off Discovery as an alternate universe when we now have evidence of one ship design in Picard, which is confirmed to be Prime Universe... is bound to cause yet another string of arguments over pretty much nonsense that will devolve into tribal arguments over who's idea of canon is more right. So lets drop that particular thread.
    Whilst you're right in the continuity, there's no reason why this show (or a Pike show) couldn't be a new timeline.

Trek has consistently rewrote time through time changing episodes, so the definition of canon can be stretched when it suits. Take a look at JJ Trek; the mere fact that timeline exists should overwrite the existing timeline, and yet it doesn't. Instead, it flows alongside it, where other timeline changes and incursions do actually rewrite a timeline.

I can't remember where I read it now (happy to try and find it) but I read an article where it was stated the reason for S3 being set in the future is because they didn't want to change the timeline, but then you've got to ask the question of why did they even bother with a prequel show if they weren't going to remain a prequel show? They can't have planned S3 this far in advance.

As per Pike's fate being sealed, I choose not to believe that. If we've got someone jumping through time trying to erase a timeline where all sentient life is destroyed, then time, evidently, isn't fixed. Regarding Pike, maybe he's destined to have that accident and end up in a chair, but maybe the date and cause of that accident are flexible, as could/would be Kirk taking over captaincy of the Enterprise.

I'd be happy if the timeline changed to accommodate a Pike show. I know others wouldn't, but we're talking about a fictional show, set in a fictional universe. I'm happy to let the writers have a little fun if it benefits the viewers that aren't too tied down.
  • Options
    Not necessarily.

DSC was shielded from the need to make a profit by the fact that it was the linchpin of CBSAA and they had nothing to take its place.

The single word to describe this is a combination of three words - complete, bull and TRIBBLE.

Not at all, that is actually fact, not rumor. Practically all the interviews about DSC have stressed that Star Trek shows are the centerpiece of the CBSAA service, and DSC is the foundation of the new Star Trek. The job of a show in that position is bringing in new viewers, whether it makes a profit or not while doing its primary job is almost irrelevant. And DSC was apparently successful at that job so it was a shoe in regardless of profitability.

That is no longer the case though since a Viacom streaming service has plenty of movies to draw on to anchor the service. That does not automatically mean that all new Star Trek will get the axe (like some doomsayers have predicted), it just means that in the case of DSC the metric changes and it has to stand on its profitability instead so scripts and SFX gags will have to be done with more of an eye towards cost. Most viewers probably will not even notice the difference.

The biggest effect will probably be in how they examine new shows before deciding whether to greenlight them, and since so many shows just disappear in the preproduction stages anyway that wont make much of a difference either.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Whilst you're right in the continuity, there's no reason why this show (or a Pike show) couldn't be a new timeline.

Trek has consistently rewrote time through time changing episodes, so the definition of canon can be stretched when it suits. Take a look at JJ Trek; the mere fact that timeline exists should overwrite the existing timeline, and yet it doesn't. Instead, it flows alongside it, where other timeline changes and incursions do actually rewrite a timeline.

Or every major instance of time travel creates a new timeline. For First Contact, a new timeline was created when the Borg assimilated 21st Century Earth and another timeline was created when the Enterprise stopped the Borg. The Enterprise didn't go back to their original timeline, but a new one. A problem with this idea is that it removes any sense of heroism to the story. The Enterprise is not saving their timeline since their timeline doesn't need to be saved. They are just trapped in a new timeline. Also, Admiral Janeway didn't save some of her crew by getting to Earth sooner.

Personally, I believe the Kelvin Timeline is set in an alternate reality since there is no canonical evidence if Spock and Nero traveled back in time or if they traveled to a parallel universe that looks like the 23rd Century. Star Trek has decided that the way to tell if someone time traveled or from a parallel universe is chronitons and quantum signatures.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

Personally, I believe the Kelvin Timeline is set in an alternate reality since there is no canonical evidence if Spock and Nero traveled back in time or if they traveled to a parallel universe that looks like the 23rd Century. Star Trek has decided that the way to tell if someone time traveled or from a parallel universe is chronitons and quantum signatures.
    Well then that's easy; when Discovery returned from the Mirror Universe, they could've just as easily arrived in yet another 23rd Century that was very similar to the one they left, but in this 23rd Century, Pike's accident doesn't happen until a lot later in his life.

There's always a way out.
  • Options

Well then that's easy; when Discovery returned from the Mirror Universe, they could've just as easily arrived in yet another 23rd Century that was very similar to the one they left, but in this 23rd Century, Pike's accident doesn't happen until a lot later in his life.

Except that Pike committed to the course that ends with the radiation accident after DSC got back from the mirror universe.

On the other hand, the whole of DSC could very well be on another timeline with all the massive changes it has in visual, cultural, technological, and other areas so they could set the accident at any time and ignore what happened in TOS (unless the timelines re-merge or something) if that is the case.

Even if they are all on the same timeline there is plenty of time for a series before Kirk takes over the Enterprise. If that is not enough time they could always shift focus to Number One after the deadline and have Pike in flashbacks (a lot of other series work with a dead character like that) or they could play it as a mental link between Pike (on Talos) and Number One in space, with Pike giving her advice and whatnot. There are a lot of things they could do if they really wanted to do a Pike show.
  • Options

Except that Pike committed to the course that ends with the radiation accident after DSC got back from the mirror universe.

On the other hand, the whole of DSC could very well be on another timeline with all the massive changes it has in visual, cultural, technological, and other areas so they could set the accident at any time and ignore what happened in TOS (unless the timelines re-merge or something) if that is the case.

Even if they are all on the same timeline there is plenty of time for a series before Kirk takes over the Enterprise.
    If that is not enough time they could always shift focus to Number One after the deadline and have Pike in flashbacks (a lot of other series work with a dead character like that) or they could play it as a mental link between Pike (on Talos) and Number One in space, with Pike giving her advice and whatnot. There are a lot of things they could do if they really wanted to do a Pike show.
    Exactly this. He isn't supposed to be exposed to that radiation until the 2260's, although I can't seem to find the exact year that it all happens. Season 2 of Discovery took place in 2257, so for arguments sake, lets say Pike is promoted to Fleet Captain and has his accident in 2267, that's still ten years worth of story to tell before his accident takes place, and that's ten years I'd quite happily invest in.

Not that I expect we'd get ten seasons, but I'd be happy enough with five or six, with the final having him promoted to fleet captain, and passing the Enterprise over to Kirk ready for the next five (or three) year mission.