test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So basically anyone can be a Liberated Borg now...

13»

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    To those spouting that it removes no perk and it provides a borg look but not a liberated borg look my my we do love splitting hairs these days.

Rather like every time the exclusivity topic pops up regarding ships event's and the like it always has a group crying the second they may have to share there exclusivity. But so long as its on the other foot and you get more that was some one else having exclusivity removed... o well that's fine and those that have it should not have a problem over some hair splitting reason.

I'm one of the people arguing that this removes nothing from the LTS, and I've had an LTS since this game was in beta ten years ago. Infact several (most? not sure) of the people I've seen agree with me also have an LTS.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    To those spouting that it removes no perk and it provides a borg look but not a liberated borg look my my we do love splitting hairs these days.

Rather like every time the exclusivity topic pops up regarding ships event's and the like it always has a group crying the second they may have to share there exclusivity. But so long as its on the other foot and you get more that was some one else having exclusivity removed... o well that's fine and those that have it should not have a problem over some hair splitting reason.

I'm one of the people arguing that this removes nothing from the LTS, and I've had an LTS since this game was in beta ten years ago. Infact several (most? not sure) of the people I've seen agree with me also have an LTS.

To be frank about it. I don't care if every one in the game agree with you. I also don't care if such looks are given out.

Read all of my post the point is i hate this exclusivity in the first place as its not helping any one. But the fact is remove the exclusivity i don't care if it is a look of or the actual liberated borg then either offer compensation. That is undeserved in the first place. Or every crying exclusivity argument can go to hell and set a time frame of exclusivity.

I happen to be one that thinks a year at max is the length of any exclusivity should be if that long. You were there for x item/event great you have yours free. You were not there o well that's fine come with me right this way you to can have it for a few zen.

And for any one thinking i am shifting on my view fill free to check all my posts and you will find i have been in favor of exclusivity being placed in the garbage.

But seeing as the exclusivity crying players in the forum almost always present a double standard. Whats mine is mine and what's yours is unfair cause i don't have it. Either as a company tell these people that there exclusivity is not for ever and either set a time to have it removed on it all. Or offer compensation on the items you remove the exclusivity from.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    You seem, I have this extremely exclusive gold-plated T6 Nagus Marauder...

I'd be ecstatic if everyone could get their hands on it. :)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    But seeing as the exclusivity crying players in the forum almost always present a double standard. Whats mine is mine and what's yours is unfair cause i don't have it.

I don't see much of that kind of thing here on the STO forums, a little whining about the Lib Borg when people ask for a Cooperative faction or about the cost of buying multiple copies of lockbox ships when people ask for an account unlock option, but otherwise people here don't really complain about exclusivity. Where it's REALLY bad is the WoW forums, if someone goes on there and asks for a way to unlock something that's no longer available people respond with INSANE levels of toxicity, with some even suggesting taking legal action against Blizzard if they were to do it. STO players are typically a lot more chill about things like that thankfully.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    But seeing as the exclusivity crying players in the forum almost always present a double standard. Whats mine is mine and what's yours is unfair cause i don't have it.

I don't see much of that kind of thing here on the STO forums, a little whining about the Lib Borg when people ask for a Cooperative faction or about the cost of buying multiple copies of lockbox ships when people ask for an account unlock option, but otherwise people here don't really complain about exclusivity. Where it's REALLY bad is the WoW forums, if someone goes on there and asks for a way to unlock something that's no longer available people respond with INSANE levels of toxicity, with some even suggesting taking legal action against Blizzard if they were to do it. STO players are typically a lot more chill about things like that thankfully.

That may be the case in comparing sto to other mmo's toxic forums. And the level i know it is no where near that of them. Regardless bring up people having there exclusivity removed on past event ships so all may have access even if a new or returning player as opposed to some one that has played every day from launch or been part of every event. And the result is people bring the same argument that all boil down to my exclusive is for ever and yours is subject to if i want it. just as indicated by your quote of what i said.

How ever i do not care what level or measure of other game forum's and there rabid fan base. I have had this exclusivity issue in these forums before as have others. The amount or toxic level of the arguments withstanding. I still maintain either remove the argument and make it all available after a set time or offer compensation to those you are removing there purchased exclusivity. The LTS, Collectors edition, Any of the several preorder exclusivity items, steam, digital deluxe, and so on.

I am in favor of no form of compensation and having it all available to new and returning players after the 1 year or less time frame. But as always a caveat in this if the judgment of cryptic is to preserve the exclusivity of free items and yet remove purchased exclusivity. Then even as not required by there eula a show of good faith for future transactions the customer may rest easy knowing that even if the item changes the value of it will not.

Or in other words remove a perk fine toss in a different perk of equal subjective value. or as many times stated make it know any purchase is subject to change in exclusivity to end such forum posts as these about the possible loss of there exclusivity.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I've had a LTS since 2014. I don't mind that people can soon buy Borg armor for lobi. I have lost nothing, and I don't agree that we deserve compensation.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    How is the original premise even true? Because you can wear a Uniform and have some Liberated Boffs (which you could already have)? You don't have the Liberated Borg Traits. You're not one. The clothes don't make the measure of a m.. Liberated Borg.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    So long as Liberated Borg remains a unique playable race and retains unique parts not available to other races, no meaningful exclusivity has been lost. Until any one of those things changes, you have no basis to whinge about mock Borg.

Hopefully they'll retouch LTS Borg assets along with this or in the near future afterwards. That would be pretty cool.
    nixie50 wrote: »
    STO has officially jumped the shark

Between a Borg lockbox and Abraham Lincoln being put into the game, I'm inclined to agree, and frankly at this point I welcome it. Ten years before reaching that point is a damn good run, though.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Exclusivity died back around 2014. Legacy of Romulus was the last real attempt at it. It didn't go so well. Since then it's been the non-exclusive story line, with exclusive tailor/ship options.

The latter, most have argued over the years needs to go away. The LTS Lib borg and such, ehh.. whatever. Nothing about LTS is worth $50, muchless the $200-300 that they want for it.

The experience perk? Bah, you can get to max level in a week of slow play, as it is. So it's not needed. A few days with the right doff missions.

Does it come with an Energy Credit perk? If so, outside the exchange, again, not needed.

So for $200 or $300, you get some admiralty cards, liberated borg, and some outfits. Bit whoop. Waste of money.

The 500 zen per month. A good gesture, if everything worth buying wasn't an account unlock. I would assume a large portion of this makes up the Dilex.

You can refine more dil per day! Again, not needed.

Overall to even remotely care what LTS has, or doesn't have, or loses, is a waste of time and thought.

Mm5NeXy.gif
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,713 Community Moderator
    Guy's keep it civil. Folks are entitled to their opinions in the positive or the negative on this sort of thing. Some folks will like it and some won't. Comes with every patch, new box, promo ship and down the line.

As for me personally this doesn't bother me as a lifetime member. It's costumes really. Personally I never bought into the whole exclusivity arguments either. As a prime example, the whole stink that was raised over ships like the Samsar before the phoenix boxes became a thing. Folks complained because at the time you could buy the command ship bundle with the Presidio in the cstore, but couldn't complete the 4 piece console set, as the 4th console was tied to the Samsar, with no way for people to get it at the time. Some folks felt cheated because the 4th console was tied to a ship they couldn't get. No it may not have been the most potent 4 piece set, but if folks wanted to run it then more power to them. The other argument was that it prevented them from completing the 4 piece Kobali set. Some folks at the time said, "well they should have been here for the event and it's not fair they should get an account unlock after the event." Then you had people like me who also had the ship saying "they should be allowed a way to complete the 4 piece console and space sets. It doesn't bother me at all if they get the ship after me as it has zero effect on my gameplay." Not long afterwards we got the phoenix boxes.

Personally I don't believe in this whole exclusivity stuff for things that can effect end game play, or in general really. Folks being able to get items to "borgify" their toons has ZERO effect on my ability to play the game and enjoy it, much like the original Samsar deal. In what way does someone being able to get an item I also have negatively effect my gameplay? The answer is that it doesn't. The only thing potentially harmed is someone's perceived value of an item. Since we're all adults here I'm going to be perfectly blunt, I think it's pretty sad when folks let their entire gameplay experience be ruined because someone has the same
    or similar costume as them. I can think of alot of things that could potentially ruin a game for me, but this doesn't even register in the top 100. I think of it simply as great minds thinking alike but I guess perhaps i'm old school on that.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I think that we should start calling the Borg Lockbox a Lock Cube.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

lol.

Or just call it a Borg cube. That's also what it is, basically.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    lol.

I did consider that one, my good sir. I thought that some people may confuse the item with the enemy of the same name somewhere on down the line.
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Technically, everyone has been able to play "liberated" borg since they stuffed in 7 of 9's cosmetic options. Do you get the borgs and the racial marker of being a "liberated borg"? No. Are you still a liberated borg if you're using the cosmetic options on your character? Yes. Hell, you don't even need to have implants really, Picard didn't spend the rest of his life with shiny bits sticking out of his head, and I think others have had full-removal of their implants as well.

If they want to make the co-op playable, they can easily give LTS players some new shiny thing.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Technically, everyone has been able to play "liberated" borg since they stuffed in 7 of 9's cosmetic options.

I thought about bringing this up, but hadn't yet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kaldorskaldors Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Technically, everyone has been able to play "liberated" borg since they stuffed in 7 of 9's cosmetic options. Do you get the borgs and the racial marker of being a "liberated borg"? No. Are you still a liberated borg if you're using the cosmetic options on your character? Yes. Hell, you don't even need to have implants really, Picard didn't spend the rest of his life with shiny bits sticking out of his head, and I think others have had full-removal of their implants as well.

If they want to make the co-op playable, they can easily give LTS players some new shiny thing.

Not quite, let me say why.
    Picard chose not to use the Borg tech, they rejected as much as they could I'm guessing (7 not so much)
    Then we have Descent 1 and 2 where lore controls a faction of liberated Borg (Crosis anyone?) he and the rest had identities and names but chose to remain as Borg which is what I feel this box is loosely based on.

Regardless of the theories, in game I personally didn't mind this as much because you had to purchase to unlock 7's cosmetic and it was pretty tame (hand and eyebrow) it wasn't a carbon copy of the drone look which was unique to the LTS. So while some may argue this grey line was already crossed I disagree. It was light on cosmetics and there were no skills involved.

In the Borg lock box the grand prize is a liberated Borg ship. So if that doesn't set the mood or the theme of what they are selling, I don't know....

I completely agree about views on Exclusives, but this for me was something I signed on for 10 yrs ago when things were basic and new. Something which I feel that yes, more people should be Borg. Its fun.

I am sad. Because for me words have meaning. I feel that yeah I was made a fool for thinking it was 'exclusive', and its something I do care about. Sorry that seems to offend some people. I just have a different point of view. So think this will be the last I post about this, my feelings on this wont change.

But yes have fun and enjoy. Ill be getting this stuff regardless, what other choice do I have? lol

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

lol.

Lockutus of Box.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.