test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is so good about Beacon of Kahless?

w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
For those who *do*not* have it, what is so good about Beacon of Kahless?

There are similar/free alternative out there (eg: Phased-Waveform Beacon, Delta Alliance Reinforcements Beacon, etc.) that also call NPC allied ships to help you out for 45 seconds.

So what is so good about Beacon of Kahless, especially for 2,000 Zen points??

(I might get it for 250 zen to 500 zen points, but not for 2,000 zen points!!)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    I think the whole thing with the Mudd store and all is more aimed at completionists and players who feel to have left out something important. Like the rest in that store performance players are not the target group so the entire question what would be “good” about it and if the price is reflecting that feels beside the point. It does not do so to the slightest. :)

After milking performance players with power creep and fleetleaders with absurd holding prices the past half decade I think cryptic is just on the quest here to look for a wider more general target group to do some spending.

Cosmetics, pets and player housings nobody needs but so many will want might be the bull’s eye here. I love it. <3
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    well, for one thing, the klingon ships summoned by it deal disruptor damage, so they can help you with related endeavors if your endeavor character doesn't use disruptors and you don't feel like switching - none of the other summons deal disruptor damage, except maybe one ship in the nimbus one

but for that purpose only, it's definitely not worth 2k zen​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Nothing. It's the worst of all the reinforcement items and the eye-searing screen white-out is the most annoying visual effect in the game. I have it for free and only ever use it on toons that haven't yet collected enough of the others to keep to global cooldown.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The disabling whiteout - and particularly the fact that it affects your allies as well - is the subject of another thread on this forum, and basically every post there is against it. It's a horrible idea in execution and the developers should seriously take a look at reducing or eliminating it.
    It's not really disabling. You can tab target and stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The disabling whiteout - and particularly the fact that it affects your allies as well - is the subject of another thread on this forum, and basically every post there is against it. It's a horrible idea in execution and the developers should seriously take a look at reducing or eliminating it.
    Yeah, you can totally blind spam everything just like normal. Which is saying more about how easy the game is than how messed up the effect is.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The unique part of the Beacon compared to the other calls is that it starts with breaking all targeting on you (the white flash is the justification for that) which gives you a second or so to heal or just not get hit much before the pets show up to further distract the enemy. It is not the best one for all situations, but it is best in slot for some others, the same way the other calls have there best niches.

It is a good (though extremely annoying) device but not really worth the price of an entire T5 ship. The way Mudd's market is set up in bundles for the most part, along with the rather high price per item along with uncertainty about whether things are character bind or account unlock makes it little more than a whale supply center for collections. For instance, I have several characters who could really use the Ophidian cane for rp/style reasons but it is unlikely I will get it (even if it turns out that it is account unlocked) and bundled with other possibly interesting items at that price.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    It was stated in many threads, that other that the Tech upgrades, all other things from Mudd store are account unlocks.
    I think the main good thing about the Beacon is, that you can use it immediately after the tutorial on any new toon, like other account unlocks.
    Edit: ...And in the description in the Zen store: "This is once per account purchaseand unlocks for all characters on an account"
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I think the whole thing with the Mudd store and all is more aimed at completionists and players who feel to have left out something important. Like the rest in that store performance players are not the target group so the entire question what would be “good” about it and if the price is reflecting that feels beside the point. It does not do so to the slightest. :)

After milking performance players with power creep and fleetleaders with absurd holding prices the past half decade I think cryptic is just on the quest here to look for a wider more general target group to do some spending.

Cosmetics, pets and player housings nobody needs but so many will want might be the bull’s eye here. I love it. <3

how many times have you seen in these forums someone say "i would pay to get that again" time for the players to put up or shut up.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Haven't try the bacon of Khaless, hope is any good.. if its bacon, it must be good!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Yeah, you can totally blind spam everything just like normal. Which is saying more about how easy the game is than how messed up the effect is.
    Agreed.
    Then again, the "disabling your allies" here doesn't mean their in-game characters, but their eyes.
    But of course, some will come out and tell you that it's not that disrupting, as if having your entire screen flash white out of nowhere is the best idea *ever*.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    To be fair, the beacon does obliterate the rest of the visual spam that a player has to contend with which is a plus in its favour. Although given that the effect is misleadingly described as blinding your enemies rather than any and everyone in your vicinity it is a very minute positive.

For a summon clicky to do damage on enemies it's not that good compared to the delta wing or the hurq nibblers.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    And it doesn't take up a device slot either.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    And it doesn't take up a device slot either.
    That's true, but all in all I much prefer the Nimbus Pirates or the Hurq. Delta's not bad, either, but I never got around to "liking" it for some reason.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Reason not to purchase the beacon and why I hate to see people use it

oqOQ6DQ.gif

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    To be fair, the beacon does obliterate the rest of the visual spam that a player has to contend with which is a plus in its favour. Although given that the effect is misleadingly described as blinding your enemies rather than any and everyone in your vicinity it is a very minute positive.

For a summon clicky to do damage on enemies it's not that good compared to the delta wing or the hurq nibblers.

Well it "fixes" the visual spam the same way, blasting you hand off with shotgun would fix a splinter in your finger, aka the cure is much worse the disease.

It really doesn't do anything that much better then other similar powers and is highly annoying to everyone who sees it, sure if you want the flavor use it but I would not recomend using the beacon in Group PvE only in soloplay.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Man does not behold the face of the Gorgon and live'
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    It was really bad when it first came out and everyone seemed to feel the need to use it as much as possible but nowadays it is used far less (I have actually gone for several days in a row of constant TFO runs without anyone using one for instance). It is good to slot along with one of the others (since it only takes a bar slot and works from inventory) and use only when the target-lock break function is needed along with reinforcements. A lot of the hate probably comes from when it was over-used when it first came out.

That said, they could probably turn the brightness down a touch, many people do play the game at night and the flare is a bit much at those times.

• Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    All hail the Bacon of Kahless

Did someone say Bacon
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    w00qw00q Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Amen!

I also hope that STO developers can tone down the "brightness", for the eyes of those using HDR monitors.
    Yours truly is using one, and this "brightness" hurts our eyes even during daytime indoor use!
    We actually have to look *away* from the HDR monitor when we expect these "bright" explosions may occur.
    Also, we cannot turn down our monitor brightness, because then the screen becomes too "dark" to play effectively.

~Beacon of Kahless
    ~Assault on Terok Nor TFO (those concussion grenades)
    ~Bug Hunt TFO (those frequently exploding rocks especially)
    ...That said, they could probably turn the brightness down a touch, many people do play the game at night and the flare is a bit much at those times.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »

I disagree with everything in this post, quite literally everything.

That's your right, but I agree with him.

I hate this stupid thing, I wish it just showed the 'white out' for the user and not for everyone else. I have never understood why they would put an item like this in the game, it's completely and totally annoying.

I hate it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    nothing is good about it, the Delta version is by far the best anyways as they do more dps and the one from Nimbus arc is better as it heals you... they only thing that one does is give you the white screen of death

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    nothing is good about it, the Delta version is by far the best anyways as they do more dps and the one from Nimbus arc is better as it heals you... they only thing that one does is give you the white screen of death

I usually carry the Delta and the Hur'q re-enforcements and alternate them. Those are my two personal favorites, I never use the Beacon because well.. as I said before.. I hate it. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.