test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Phoenix box always Uncommon

Comments

• pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    When I open sets of 20 boxes, I typically get like ~60% UNC, 35% R, 5% VR. I think I've gotten one UR since they started doing the whole Phoenix thing.

RNG is RNG

Sounds about right. Statistically.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    RnG is a bear.. that's for sure.

I probably opened 1000 boxes before I saw an Epic. I didn't care if I got an epic or not, I don't need one.. I have everything already. But what was weird was, as soon as I finally got one.. I got 2 more in the next 40 boxes I opened.

It's definitely possible to open hundreds, even a thousand boxes without seeing an Epic. Honestly, I think they should increase the odds for people that need to get items they missed. It's not like they're going for super expensive lock box ships.. it seems silly to me that the odds are so harsh.

The odds of winning & losing are completely up to Cryptic.

As that darkbladejk stated earlier about allowing players that just missed out for whatever reason on previous things letting those players have the older things doesn't take-away from those players that already have. I think the good compromise here is the account-unlock for initial event versus the Phoenix later character-only unlock. But if one never wins what they were hoping for that doesn't really matter lol.

Some big-wigs at Cryptic seem to have always had a clutched-fist for "exclusivity". If Cryptic was really concerned with letting players earn the older ships & having fun with them the odds would simply increase. As long as players keep shoveling-in lots of dilithium & keep losing with puny odds for the bigger token prizes however I doubt Cryptic will want to increase the Phoenix odds.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,623 Arc User
    Poe's Law strikes again. Sadly there are occasional forum posters who would cry "false advertising!" with a straight face.
  • geoffman72geoffman72 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Did anyone else get overly lucky this time? I had been lucky to get two epics out of many many boxes since they started doing phoenix boxes. This time, I got 4 epics and 2 URs out of somewhere around 500 boxes.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    geoffman72 wrote: »
    Did anyone else get overly lucky this time? I had been lucky to get two epics out of many many boxes since they started doing phoenix boxes. This time, I got 4 epics and 2 URs out of somewhere around 500 boxes.

Not as lucky as you.. no. I bought about 350 boxes and got 1 Epic and 2 Ultra Rare. That's far above my average.

Of course, the law of RnG applies.. I only got them because I don't need them.. I was just opening the boxes for Phoenix Kits. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    I got a few hundred boxes, and pulled one UV from the lot of them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,623 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    I got a few hundred boxes, and pulled one UV from the lot of them.

"I got a rock"

Nothing better than Very Rare for me out of at least a couple hundred this time (I lost count :) ). I'm sitting on 2 Epics from past events in the hope that someday I can use them for something good (I have all the ships) or gift them or sell them.

I'd love to get EC towards another lobi or lock box ship while letting someone else get an event ship they missed.
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (Trolling, accusatory comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,502 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
    edited October 2019
    (Trolling, accusatory comments moderated out. - BMR)
    edited October 2019
    ... or it could have been what darkbladejk said regarding opening many at once (was about to edit my posts to add that after reading. now. well.)

cu later. please ban me for a day. thanks. before I say things I regret out of anger.

I was not trolling/accusating.

actually I was thinking and censored my language a lot and was descriptive. The only error I could have, is not reading darkbladejk's post in time and not thinking on THIS possibility.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Today was the third day in a row that the free Phoenix Pack was of the Rare persuasion.

@seaofsorrows
    You were correct in your observation which subsequent events confirmed.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    The boxes are a waste of time if you think you're going to get a epic. I just get the boxes for the upgrades.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    pretty much EVERYONE gets them for the upgrades now, unless they're trying for a specific T6 ship or its console - like the bajoran interceptor for DOMINO​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    Only use boxes if you need upgrade tokens. Did 110 boxes so far this event and the freebees. Got about 25 VR, 40 ish rare and a ton of ubcommun. You really don't expect to see epics till you open in the 1k range

easy to say...when you need the Domino Console to finish your build.....and yes you must have it when you want a perfect build.

I whish they could place this console to ultra rare its sux to waste that epic token anytime for a domino...
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pretty much EVERYONE gets them for the upgrades now, unless they're trying for a specific T6 ship or its console - like the bajoran interceptor for DOMINO​​
    Yeah, because all the whales who bought massive amounts to finish their ship collections already got theirs.

That's why the event no longer drops the dilex by 100+ points when it runs.
  • acethepugacethepug Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    800 boxes, one ultra-rare, no epics. I agree that the upgrade kits ease the pain considerably, but considering how absurdly rare the epic token is (and the UR), I really think it should be account-wide -- I will say I was pleasantly surprised to see the Sompek and Prolonged Engagement pieces being account unlocks, that was indeed nice of them.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    it's only nice if them being account-wide was intended - which, given how phoenix works, was most certainly NOT intended​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

No, stop gloating lol, but then again I didn't buy 500 boxes neither. Congrats.
  • geoffman72geoffman72 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks! The Nandi and the Vorgon dread are the only event ships I skipped/missed out on so, it's nice to get the Nandi to a few captains of mine.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    The Nandi is my favorite ship. I got it when it was an event ship, but missed it on my F2P acct due to it being created after the Nandi event.

Luckily my main on that one got an epic and snatched herself a Nandi. Then the Ferengi girl I created just a couple weeks ago snagged one for herself after opening a bit over 100 boxes.

So you can score an epic either with the free box or by opening a bunch. Jhanell got hers first by the free box giving her an epic. Of course, that was about a year ago and haven't scored more than VR since then and usually Uncommon.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    I have opened about 500 Boxes and I have never seen a good Token drop. Supposedly, they exist buuuuut... *shrug* A good Token would be great because I missed a couple of events because I move around a lot, but I never expect anything good to drop from gamble boxes. I open these boxes for Upgrades, anyway. Some times, you get lucky, though. Like, once, I needed twenty Lobi and got a Crossfield in the process. Such is how random drops work.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I’ve gotten one epic and some very rare‘s but mostly I end up with blue or uncommon
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,754 Community Moderator
    Random is fine. What we need is a way to trade up.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    Random is fine. What we need is a way to trade up.
    This, but I doubt they will ever do this.

I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
This discussion has been closed.