Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • tom40stom40s Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    tom40s wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @tom40s said:
    > (Quote)
    > You may be right and you may be wrong I have been playing this game for 8 years and there has always been lag, I have an Omen computer now before that alien ware and that computer had lag but not as bad as this, before that I had a regular dell which worked great, maybe it is the more expensive gaming computers and not built for STO, I am checking it on my end, my GPU is over heating when I play STO which is part of the problem when I get to 99C I crash, so yes you are partly right, some one suggesting uninstalling my omen command center but until I can talk to some one from HP I will continue to investigate, but depending on your location you might just be lucky, so bully for you - great going chum - hip hip horary for you, but there is obviously a issue here for some people playing this game I am playing from Pennsylvania USA, where are you playing from are you close to the main server or something, I do not know, but again because you keep boasting about your great game play great for you, I am sooooooo happy for you, now back off.

I'm playing in South Dakota, you are a lot closer to the servers than I am. And no I will not back off.

Hem well I thought South DAKOTA is closer to California then Pennsylvania oh wait it is so your closer to the servers so no YOU BACK OFF!
    1) The servers are in Massachusetts. No, I'm not clear on why the server farm is located 3000 miles away from the offices either, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense to someone.

2) Physical distance is not entirely meaningful on the internet. Data is transmitted through several different nodes, which bear logical relation to each other, not necessarily physical relation. As has been noted, most of the delay recently appears to have to do with Akamai Technologies and their anti-DDoS software, which in my opinion appears to be mistaking MMO traffic for a DDoS attack.

Emotions have their place - but seldom is that place "in a discussion of computer technology".

Thanks I did not know that, but why does it seem like the East Coast is having the biggest lag/rubberbanding issues, "to me I could be wrong" and since your the first person who seems to know anything about this stuff and has actually wrote anything helpful do you know of anyway to configure Geforce 3d or something that might help clear up some lag I have looked on line and watched some videos, I have found nothing really.
    edited October 2019
    But here is another question, like I said I am a nurse and have been one for a while, but I did work in electronics for a while, and I do have my fcc license element 3 and 8, so I do know how waves travel, and everyone keeps saying distance does not matter? 1. With the fiber optics which is light which is traveling almost at the speed of light, bending due to gravity, it has to be amplified every so often due to decrease in signal strength.
    2. The entire world is not connected with fiber optics so this signal has to be transmitted as well, so you have curvature of earth to deal with which is great with higher frequencies but needs to be amplified as well and often because it travels short distances compared to lower frequencies. Ionizing/non ionizing radiation etc...
    3. So how does distance not matter?
    Post edited by tom40s on
    edited October 2019
    (Comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    I said stop.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    :( I am sorry baddmoonrizin I will be good, no more reactions.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Over the distances involved here, mere thousands of miles, lightspeed lag is insignificant. A greater issue would appear to be Akamai Technologies, which doesn't just affect this game (I first encountered the name in connection with a similar lag problem with Elder Scrolls). Akamai offers protection against DDoS attacks and similar internet hazards -but I don't think their engineers thought the problem through. As far as I can tell (while sitting safely behind my keyboard here on the west coast), the software seems to interpret normal busy MMO traffic as a DDoS attack, and begins slowing it down to give the security software of its ISP customers more time to respond. Unfortunately, Akamai is contracted by the ISPs, not the individual users, and depending on the area there's frequently no choice of ISPs to use. (In my old hometown of Tacoma, WA, there happens to be an alternative, as they started up a municipal broadband service back before the FCC moved to limit such things. That's why we can actually get Comcast to provide customer service in this region - the local office also provides service to Tacoma, where they have to (gulp) compete. Sadly, for most of the country, if you want truly high-speed connectivity, you have to go through the government-protected monopoly for it.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    All my games are rubberbanding. Its not just Arc or Perfect World. Its a recent windows 10 upload I think. When I factory reset my computer it goes away til updates happen. I can't find where to stop auto updates, so Im fubbernucked.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,451 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    All my games are rubberbanding. Its not just Arc or Perfect World. Its a recent windows 10 upload I think. When I factory reset my computer it goes away til updates happen. I can't find where to stop auto updates, so Im fubbernucked.

Click on the Windows button, click on the settings wheel button, and click on Updates and Security. There you can set when you want to get the updates. Also, my lag and rubberbanding has to deal with the Akamai servers and not Windows 10 updates, I tend to notice when it is due to Windows 10 having an update ready in the background as opposed to lag and rubberbanding in Star Trek Online. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    And you know this because....?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited October 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    I had a PM from AmbassadorKael earlier asking for my location and ISP, so he is definitely collecting data from Players to pass on for investigation.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
    edited October 2019
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out . - BMR)
    edited October 2019
    BADMOON YOU ARE AN TRIBBLE
    edited October 2019
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    edited October 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    OK, folks, I'm going to reiterate something I said earlier in this thread: Please just post your tracerts, so we can help Cryptic get this issue resolved. All of the in-fighting and bashing Cryptic and each other is unnecessary, and certainly doesn't help us get closer to a solution. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    Yeah been getting that all event
  • accordvtec77accordvtec77 Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    I can't seem to upload a photo of my traceroute. But I did run one, and I seem to be encountering the SAME issue MOST seem to be running into. There is a massive bottleneck between 209.200.184.192 and 209.200.184.197 where "request timed out" I'm no expert by any means...but when I've read numerous people complaining about this "akamaitechnologies" and then seeing for myself...I kinda have to think that WHERE the problem is, seems pretty obvious. So if Cryptic REALLY wants to help, seems THAT'S where they need to look.
This discussion has been closed.