test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So How Long are the New Mission/Que/Patrols?

Comments

• Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    To be fair, it's the same amount of anybody cares that pottsey, you and me plan to never touch the new patrols after the event (in pottsey's case possible even during the event). Az can say what he likes or does not like just as much as the rest of us. Of course we are allows to say that he has terrible taste in content to like these terribly structured content that is time gated for annoyance, has terrible rewards, uses annoying interact actions that gets constantly interupted and other issues over a content that has good rewards, isn't time gated and has no annoying mechanics there to fill time content. Honestly, I don't use Argala much myself. I usually use Romulan patrols for my quick pew pew actions. And that is the trouble with these new patrols. They are not quick (I mean I can finish a whole mission in the time it takes for two patrols and have time to spare). They have stuff that gets in the way of pew pew. It's has terrible rewards to boot. If not for the event...absolutely no reason to play this content over missions or queues.
    Yep, thank you Cold! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Thank you Cold. Though from my point of view you guys must enjoy things as boring and repetitive as stamp collecting to like Argala. :)
    And from my point of view, you like just the same thing. Only in a different flavour. To each their own. I at least don't go around basically insulting people when they don't agree with me.
    But... de gustibus, eh?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User

pottsey5g wrote: »
    If the rest are like Briars I am not touching patrols even for the event.

Give Sentinels a try, it is most like Argala. Has 4 interactions (placing turrets, no interruption mechanics) and 6 combat actions with no timers, and all are reasonable. Takes 5 or 6 minutes to complete.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Given the purpose of the new patrols leans in the direction of ship XP farming, having timers and respawning enemies serve that purpose well.

I can't imagine anyone would play them for marks.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Within the Briars patrol is the most frustrating experience I have had in game in years it was that bad it completely put me off patrols and I won’t go near that one again solo in its current form. No idea how long it took but I must have spent 10+mins just sit there bored waiting for red alert timers so I could interact with the objects which failed 8 times out of 10 triggering another long red alert wait.

Half of it was just sitting bored waiting for red alert to end for the 20th + time. Far too many pointless popups and I would be seconds away on the radiation only for it to fail suddenly get pulled back into red alert for yet another long wait.

Rescue the Search was also poor although nowhere near as frustrating and Briars. The last half of it is pretty decent but it let down by the first half with again to many pointless popups and click menus with waiting for Red Alert to end before you can talk to anyone.

So far the 2 new patrols I tried have completely failed to capture the nice short story and fun flow of the Argala patrol. That one I can play 100+ times and not get bored while the above 2 patrols experience was that bad I logged out the game being put off playing.
    Yeah...after this event, I plan to never touch any of the new patrols ever again.
    I agree. Given their current structure/rewards they hardly serve any purpose beyond the current event. :/

I can't stand Argala, never play it.
    I'm curious, what makes you think anybody cares?
    ^^^
    IDK - I care about his comment about as much as I care about yours. :wink:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    FYI: they're fixing the daily Marks bonus eligibility for Patrols.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I think its in the briar patch one with the exploding gas clouds but there's some seriously excessive screenshake going on. Kind of odd as I turned that off thanks to the boozeman engine's trembles causing nausea.

It also has one of the most moronic respawn points ever devised right inside the blast radius of a gas pocket AND within aggro range of enemies who will happily pop the cloud during the respawn lockdown. I found this out after an unwanted ally thought it'd be a great idea to turn up and shoot everything in sight causing me to eat way more explosions that I needed to.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    lhoygow wrote: »
    If the rest are like Briars I am not touching patrols even for the event.

Give Sentinels a try, it is most like Argala. Has 4 interactions (placing turrets, no interruption mechanics) and 6 combat actions with no timers, and all are reasonable. Takes 5 or 6 minutes to complete.
    Thank you. While not as good as Argala Sentinels is all right. Not sure I would play it after the event but its not a pain to play like the others. The Ninth Rule as Well is alright in a group although not keen on it solo. The other 3 I plan to avoid.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I ran 'The Ninth Rule' twice yesterday, both solo. Once when I thought I was getting the Daily progress and once when I did. It was pretty good. Didn't have a problem with the Klingons. It went pretty fast.

It would seem we have adopted a new in-mission graphic. The vertical ribbon used in 'Operation Riposte' seems to be the new rally/go to point.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Ok the patrols... ok they tend to suck. Sentinel is probably the only 1 I like & approve of. Too bad there is a 15 min cool down.

Briar Patch one... well bad placement of spawn points... clouds etc. Do those explosions hurt NPCs?

Ruins one... I think this is the one with the cloud of spores/radiation... there seems to be a timer. you have to go in and scan/clean the location.... but the timer still keeps clicking down to explode. mobs spawn around ya and yeah... so you basically need to fly around the aoe of explosion and kill mobs.... again do the explosion effect npc mobs?

Maybe the 1st que on the list... 9th rule or something thats ok I guess.

I know I've tried all of em so far... and am missing one sorry. /shrug

oh no cool down on Que... can do that twice for the discovery marks... they should of opened that up to choice since they dont give out elite marks.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    30 minutes.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The explosions are more like a gentle caressing of the enemies in comparison to what the player gets hit by.

Likely going to avoid the BS mechanics and just do the tfo, sentinels and 9th rule for the daily grind towards the ship which is certainly not faster, quicker or other term for being expedited faster than the old method of getting a 14day event thing.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    The new patrols are dropping (I assume) dsc flavoured blue quantum-like phaser weapons
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    I have been defaulting to "Within the Briars" myself. I understand the metreon gas doesn't insta-kill enemies, but it DOES hit their boarding shuttles pretty hard. I just use a big tanky t6 oddy (Endeavour type), with power to shields and guns. I park next to the scan target, and then bfaw til there's nothing left alive, do the scan and move on.
    Not lost shields yet on that patrol, let alone 'sploded.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    FYI: they're fixing the daily Marks bonus eligibility for Patrols.

This is good to hear, thanks for the info. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Has anyone paid attention to the XP payouts in these? I did Kern earlier, the one with the Lukari and the rift and noticed some real issues with XP. First in the initial wave at the beginning where the two ships help you, they were stealing XP, and I'm sure this is because unlike the Argala Benthans, they are not considered your pets/teammates. Also I noticed that in later groups I was getting a number of ships that gave zero xp when killed, not less XP but zero.

I expect Ninth rule and ruins of doom have similar problems with NPCs stealing XP. The metreon gas might do the same thing in the Briars.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    > @foxrockssocks said:
    > Has anyone paid attention to the XP payouts in these? I did Kern earlier, the one with the Lukari and the rift and noticed some real issues with XP. First in the initial wave at the beginning where the two ships help you, they were stealing XP, and I'm sure this is because unlike the Argala Benthans, they are not considered your pets/teammates. Also I noticed that in later groups I was getting a number of ships that gave zero xp when killed, not less XP but zero.
    >
    > I expect Ninth rule and ruins of doom have similar problems with NPCs stealing XP. The metreon gas might do the same thing in the Briars.

Nope, have not noticed anything of the kind, doubt I would either, levelling goes so fast, and I am unconcerned with "grinding mastery".

Please don't quote things I didn't say. I did not mention "grinding mastery" anywhere in my previous post as you can plainly see from what you quoted. Although I'm not sure why you replied to my question if you don't even pay attention to XP minutia and have nothing to add.

In any case, I found the time to run through the rest of the patrols and was quite amazed by the results. Firstly, in any of these patrols where enemies take damage from not you, you end up getting less XP for the kill. This includes friendly ships that help you with the fights, the satellites you set up in the one patrol, the doomsday device radiation explosions, and of course metreon gas clouds.

Second, many ships/spawns give zero xp, but it doesn't seem consistent. I actually went through the Ninth Rule and got 0 xp from any ship kills, zero, none, nada, only the xp from the mission completion, which of course is not ship mastery XP. The patrol threw nothing but house Mokai ships at me, whereas in earlier runs I had gotten Breen.

Of course other patrols also have house Mokai ships in them, but in those some groups give xp, others give only partial XP, and I mean partial in that only a few ships from the group actually give XP when they are killed, while others give zero. And no it wasn't zero because I was letting the NPC ships kill them for me, these are ships I was focusing fire on and paying attention to the XP notice in the chat. I couldn't figure out any pattern though. It seemed like the Sech cruisers gave XP more consistently than the birds of prey, but nothing was fully consistent as best as I could determine.

So it seems if others can confirm my results these patrols need a serious review to address these problems.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So I tried Briar patch again and have come to the conclusion it’s just badly designed and incompatible with my build which makes use of mines and hanger pets only. There are 3 problems interlinked.

The gas respawns often before Red Alert ends extending Red Alert and Red Alert seems to take longer to end then other people are experiencing which is problem 1. When Red Alert does end it’s a race which I often lose as half way though the interaction gas respawns breaking the interaction and another red alert wait before trying again. Turning my weapons auto fire off doesn’t work as the left over weapons are still active and you cannot deactivate them which is problem 2

Problem 3 is the Klingons have some sort of ability making my ship fly super-fast and unable to turn or barely turn. Unlike other builds I can kill targets 20km or even over 30km away from where my ship is. This means the Klingons are forcing me to have a threat range bubble over 20km wide and a guesstimate of 15km to 20km long and any gas or NPC's that spawns in that large area of space is blown up by me. In short I am in constant combat and Red Alert and the Klingons are extending my builds threat range much wider then it would normally be.

On the plus side I found I can complete Ruins of Doom really fast. I don’t find it fun but it’s not bad or a chore to run though fast. So Ruins of Doom with The Ninth Rule! and Sentinels which are ok and I have a way to run the event. (or I can join a team and let them do all the interactions in Blairs)

EDIT: I think if I didn't have a problem with the interactions and Red Alert I would find Blairs pretty alright.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    After 4 days (I guess) of this, I have to say, holy cow this is awful and painfully unfun. Rather than doing 1 thing for 10-15 minutes for 14 days, we have to do 4 things for close to 35-45 minutes total for 20 days.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited September 2019

Problem 3 is the Klingons have some sort of ability making my ship fly super-fast and unable to turn or barely turn.

I noticed that ability and I'm wondering what it's called and what it does. Cause they use it a lot and next thing I know I'm way away from the battle, flying straight while some kind of countdown is going on.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    @pottsey5g @echatty I believe the ability you're referring to is the Intelligence ability Viral Impulse Burst.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    @pottsey5g @echatty I believe the ability you're referring to is the Intelligence ability Viral Impulse Burst.

Thank you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    echatty wrote: »

Thank you.

Yes, the Sech uses that, and also transport warhead and other intelligence abilities.. they are annoying!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    9th rule is perfect for a well armed carrier, i do that mission with my JH Dread in 5 minutes, Sentiners takes a little longer, almost 6, also with a carrier, and Rescue and Search it's a tiny bit longer, almost 8, but ther you can chose a normal ship or a carrier, i preffer a carrier in those 3, they help a lot to control the crowd..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.