test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So How Long are the New Mission/Que/Patrols?

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Since the cooldown for the Event wasn't until tonight for me, I decided to do a few Delta Patrols to start to level up the Gregarin in the morning. Two runs of 'Wanted' and the ship went from 0 to Tier 3.05. Tonight after the Event cooldown expired I ran 'The Ninth Rule' and 'Sentinal'. I completed the Universal Endeavor, and unfortunately only progressed Ship Mastery from about Tier 3.05 to Tier 3.66. I'll take what I can get from them if I'm doing the Event but, at least to me, 'Wanted' still seems better fot Mastery.

I only ran 'Briars' on the first day. I just bulldozed through shooting or having the Tactical Flyer Squadrons shoot anything that was red, including the Metreon Clouds. Never really took notice of the Red Alerts anyway.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    I actually didn't mind most of them. Baiting the obvious klingon spawns into the metreon gas nodes and blowing them up with it gave me a chuckle.

There are some (long-standing)systemic issues I still don't like, but it's very subjective. In my opinion, common 'trash' mobs should NEVER have access to hard CC or complete buff-stripping. Captain/Battleship+ mobs having access to them with longer cooldowns is fine. The status quo just creates debuff-lock cycles that are not an enjoyable experience and have no room for rewarding counterplay(you just get hit again right after clearing it).

My second issue is excessive wave sizes(this has been an issue for years, and it just seems to get worse with each update). Battles in Star Trek, to me, have primarily been showdowns - the big skirmishes were/are the exception, not the rule. Yes, I can pop BFAW and spam all the AoE, but it honestly disenfranchises me when I have to single-handedly slaughter more ships than were present at the battle of Wolf 359 while doing a 'routine patrol mission'. Sometimes, less is more.. and it would help with some of the ability spam issues certain encounter groups have.

Overall though, the patrols were above my expectations. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but kudos to the team all the same. :)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    @pottsey5g @echatty I believe the ability you're referring to is the Intelligence ability Viral Impulse Burst.

Thank you.

Yes, the Sech uses that, and also transport warhead and other intelligence abilities.. they are annoying!

Yeah, I noticed it usually happened near a Sech. And I find it incredibly annoying, but now I know there isn't anything I can do about it, I'll just cope. I can at least full-impulse back to the battle once it runs out.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    @pottsey5g @echatty I believe the ability you're referring to is the Intelligence ability Viral Impulse Burst.

Thank you.

Yes, the Sech uses that, and also transport warhead and other intelligence abilities.. they are annoying!

Yeah, I noticed it usually happened near a Sech. And I find it incredibly annoying, but now I know there isn't anything I can do about it, I'll just cope. I can at least full-impulse back to the battle once it runs out.

You can clear it with Eng team, if I'm not mistaken. It's either Eng or Sci Team..
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

Thank you.

It has a range of 5 km, so if you stay at long range you won't get hit.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Since the only XP you don't get with kills and only get on mission completion is mastery xp then it is implicitly a part of your statement. Ship kills are rewarding exactly the same character xp as always.

I'm not sure you comprehend what zero xp means. Zero means zero, none, nada, zilch, nothing, etc. There was no mastery XP because there was no actual XP.

They are directly related values. Mastery XP is the same XP you get from killing ships. That it is awarded at the end is not relevant if you aren't getting any XP from killing ships. However as you kill ships, you will get normal XP and how much will be communicated to you in the chat log.

If you don't get normal XP from killing ships, you will also get no mastery XP. Is this easier to understand?

Instead of arguing with me you could just run through the patrols, pay attention to XP from kills. Its not hard and you'll see what I'm saying.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I'm not sure you comprehend what zero xp means. Zero means zero, none, nada, zilch, nothing, etc. There was no mastery XP because there was no actual XP.

This would explain why I didn't even get half a level doing one of the new Patrols, while I got 2 full levels for doing any of the older one that have been added to the Patrols tab in the queue window.
    Started with a level 13 character on my very slow Walker, ended up with precious few xp more.
    Went to Argala, Kelsid (a pain in the TRIBBLE, since I missed the last optional) and the one where you need to help the Cooperative and the Octanti ships (can't remember the name nor the system): got 2 levels each.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Since the only XP you don't get with kills and only get on mission completion is mastery xp then it is implicitly a part of your statement. Ship kills are rewarding exactly the same character xp as always.

They are directly related values. Mastery XP is the same XP you get from killing ships. That it is awarded at the end is not relevant if you aren't getting any XP from killing ships. However as you kill ships, you will get normal XP and how much will be communicated to you in the chat log.

If you don't get normal XP from killing ships, you will also get no mastery XP. Is this easier to understand?

Instead of arguing with me you could just run through the patrols, pay attention to XP from kills. Its not hard and you'll see what I'm saying.

Life according to Az is that there is nothing wrong with this game...EVER in it's current state. So...what do you expect. In any case, this isn't something new. There is a threshold of damage you must do to a ship to exp for it with at least 51% being required to get full exp for it. Normally, this isn't a problem for solo content as things not you tend to do very little damage...but in the new patrols, the radiation burst, gas burst and defense sats do quite a bit of damage. If you are not quick in killing things, you will get zero exp as they do most of the damage. Those defense sats can kill a normal frigate in under 5 seconds.

True enough. I don't have anything that needs leveling right now, but I should be able to get my hands on a Gagaring in tenish days. I will keep an eye out when I do, to see how things goes.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    szerontzur wrote: »

Thank you.

You can clear it with Eng team, if I'm not mistaken. It's either Eng or Sci Team..
    warpangel wrote: »

Thank you.

It has a range of 5 km, so if you stay at long range you won't get hit.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it all a try next time I'm ingame. :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,519 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So far I have done everything except the metreon gas patrol. Weird as it sounds, if you skip all the cutscenes and dialog the mission is actually shorter than the TFO a lot of the time, which is ok since I prefer the mission over the TFO anyway.

The patrols are not bad though some of them strip away fighters too rapidly to make them pleasant to do with carriers (the harg-peng pulse one is especially bad for that, the fighters seem to like hanging around in the blast radius for some reason). Also the sheer number of trash mobs in all of them makes Tholian fighters die almost instantly, their FaW attracts way too much return fire for them to handle.

The addition of marks to the patrols is nice for those rep projects with leftover points where you only need a few marks to fire it up for the day, but they are not a practical source of them on their own, it is much more efficient to use the traditional TFOs for that.

Overall the event takes much longer to do than the previous ones since it is not a one-and-done FTFO for the day, though the ability to do it on any combination of characters is nice and mitigates that somewhat. The extra time load does delay other stuff in the game which is annoying at times, especially since the non-event endeavors seem to be almost all things that are not possible to combine with the event with only the occasional energy type or shield/hull heal endeavor appearing lately.

Despite the warts I would call it a success though.

• Options
    Tonight was a disaster for Patrols. My Normal Endeavor was to kill Tholian Ships and the Hard was Tetryon Damage Space. The Gregarin I am leveling up went to the Archer System to Kill Tholians with Tetryon. I did the entire Patrol and got the Daily Bonus (Archer has not been 'simplified') but NO Ship Mastery was awarded.

I then did 'The Ninth Rule'. After two nights in that ship with no problems I had a heck of a time killing those ships (Feh'kiri ships??) and blew up three times. I then did 'Sentinal'. I thought I was a UPS driver. I could not get the ship to go left at all, so needless to say it took longer to complete.

After I left that Patrol I did the Mycelial Network TFO. That was very quick compared to the Patrols and had no problem going left. Somehow that one Patrol fouled up my keyboard.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    The metreon pulses are just a matter of pre-emptive timing... I hang back with my fighters docked until 3s to pulse, full impulse in, deactivate it then fight the mobs normally - the mission setup tries to imply you need to kill the mobs before stopping the pulse but thats not true

As long as you keep out of range, the mob group will not engage; giving you plenty of time to deactivate the pulse
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    How long is the new mission/patrols/TFO? A lot of variables affect the time it takes to complete these for me. I've not bothered timing them except in the broadest sense. As in, "I've an hour before I'm off to work. Can I get one Awakening and one patrol in with time to spare?"

The answer is yes I can.

I've decided terms like "grinding" and "time gates" are subjective ones. Some things in this game I like to do. So the time I spend doing them or the number of times I have to do them does not feel bad at all. Other things which I do not like to do take forever. Even if the actual time I spend doing them is under five minutes IRL.

Star Trek Online is a game. Something I use to entertain myself. When it takes too long for me to accomplish something in the game, I stop doing it and find something else to do. Usually turning off the game completely and going outside to play works nicely.

Like all online and video games, Star Trek Online should never be allowed to become a lifestyle choice.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    Last night, I knocked out 4 Patrols in roughly half an hour, so the 8 minutes per I'd say is pretty accurate.

The Ninth Rule, Within the Briars, Rescue and Search, Ruins of Doom
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited September 2019

In any case, this isn't something new. There is a threshold of damage you must do to a ship to exp for it with at least 51% being required to get full exp for it. Normally, this isn't a problem for solo content as things not you tend to do very little damage...but in the new patrols, the radiation burst, gas burst and defense sats do quite a bit of damage. If you are not quick in killing things, you will get zero exp as they do most of the damage. Those defense sats can kill a normal frigate in under 5 seconds.

Yeah this definitely would account for some of the problem, but far from as much as I experienced it. And if I'm wrong on that, then the NPCs do FAR too much damage, because that particular character isn't running some fresh mk 12 welcome to level 50 build, but is partially upgraded and does handle quite well in advanced queues as is.

Again the entire Ninth Rule patrol I got zero XP. There is at least one spawn group that you have to fight solo in that.

(Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The impulse boost on the suchs cruiser is negated if you opt for the park up and grav tactic. They'll still apply the debuff but it does nothing to a stationary ship.

To counter the time padding (the claims of earning it faster are clearly false) I've opted for doing 9th rule and sentintels by grouping my LTS and F2P accounts. Gets a wee bit faster as you can head to the predictable spawns ahead of time by offsetting the longwinded alert status by using a second, out of combat, ship.
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    The impulse boost on the suchs cruiser is negated if you opt for the park up and grav tactic. They'll still apply the debuff but it does nothing to a stationary ship.

It's affected me while stationary, unless it a bug...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    This is not true. The debuff will force you to full throttle. The only way to avoid it is to stay away from them.

Although, it does give me an idea...and of course when I test removing my engines, they didn't use the power at all. But yeah, pulling engines out is not really viable anyway since you'd have to do it before red alert.
  • Options
    Like I said, the NPC do an abnormally high amount of damage in these new patrols. However getting zero exp in ninth seems...unlikely due to NPC interaction alone.
    Wouldn't be the first time they've forgotten to fill in the drop tables for a mob.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    Please stop attacking one another. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lhoygow wrote: »
    My problem with a few of the patrols is the last mob battle is an endless spawn until an invisible timer runs out, then all of a sudden you get the "defeat remaining" bit. The last patrol mission is alright, set number of battles and it ends like a normal patrol should.

So Ninth Rule, Rescue and Search and Ruins of Doom each have the invisible timer on the final battle.
    Yeah. This is on one hand good, because it gives you a lot of XP and vendor trash (if you find the latter good), but on the other hand, I find it dumb to play.

However, it is a bit of an endurance test, because the enemies last long enough to bring basically all your heals to cooldown. In most missions, enemies stop coming before that happens.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    szerontzur wrote: »

Thank you.

Neither of those worked for me, but hazard emitters seemed to work.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    Tonight I ran 'The Ninth Rule' and was awarded about 2300 Specialization XP but only got about 850 Ship Mastery. I also ran 'Sentinal' and got about 2300 Specialization XP but got that amount of Ship Mastery. They both went much quicker tonight than last night.

Argala awarded about 5400 Specialization XP. I only did get about 2200 Ship Mastery but that is because that is all I needed to complete it.

As an aside, don't get me going about Gron'cha Ship Mastery. I had a Hard Endeavor tonight to kill 30 Tzen'kethi Ships. I did that and got 7 Ship Mastery when I left.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So...they seems to have nerfed ship mastery in at least the queues that have endless waves at the end. Ninth went from giving me about 100 ship mastery exp per frigate to like 10. So much for that gravy train. Back to these new patrols being utterly worthless,
    Which is the shame as the idea behind them is really good its just as with so many recent systems the idea has been designed really badly.

I fully expect a large drop off towards the end of the event as people cannot be bothered to grind them and then a further large drop off after the event ends. For myself I have already decided to no longer run extra event days and I see no reason to go near these patrols after the event. I wonder if the devs realise they new event system is going cause some players to play events less?
This discussion has been closed.