test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing As The Romulan Empire And Not The Republic

praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
Nothing against the Republic in game as a concept but I would much greatly prefer to play as a loyal officer of the Empire who knows his portion is duty and obedience to Empress Sela in CRUSHING the Empires enemies.

Jolan-Tru.

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Just tell yourself that you're a sleeper agent worming his way into D'Tan's group so that you can betray them later?

If you don't know how Sela's character arc progresses this will be a huge spoiler:
    The Empire forces are pretty much non-existent now and Sela. is in a Federation prison. They lost, it's over.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    I also find the Romulan Republic to be a lame weaksauce version of the Romulans. But sadly, the alternative presented is the cartoonishly evil and stupid Hakeev and the emotionally unstable and equally stupid Sela. You know, the fool that - REDACTED SPOILERS -. Given the options, I'll reluctantly choose D'tan and the RR.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Just tell yourself that you're a sleeper agent worming his way into D'Tan's group so that you can betray them later?

If you don't know how Sela's character arc progresses this will be a huge spoiler:

Yes I remember. Yes well she was half human and they don't produce leaders like they used to. Just need to have a new Praetor, whip some Reman slaves into shape and intensify our research into Borg tech before that pesky Picard turns up in his new series.
    The Empire forces are pretty much non-existent now and Sela. is in a Federation prison. They lost, it's over.

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    indeed, the only problem is to be a federation pet. the klingon empire is now also a fedration pet, and all these fed missions are boring, and most of the time ridiculous from the point of view of the rom or the kdf (all the missions with kuumarke for example). more unique rom/kdf content would be appreciated.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    This was a hot topic when Legacy of Romulus launched. Long story short, yes a lot of people felt the same way. But that was not the story the devs wanted to tell, sorry. The "good" news is factions are basically meaningless since everyone gets the same content after a tutorial now, so whether you were the Empire or the Republic you would still be playing the same missions.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    This was a hot topic when Legacy of Romulus launched. Long story short, yes a lot of people felt the same way. But that was not the story the devs wanted to tell, sorry. The "good" news is factions are basically meaningless since everyone gets the same content after a tutorial now, so whether you were the Empire or the Republic you would still be playing the same missions.

I very much wanted RSE way back when LOR was new. But with Cryptic doing 1 storyline for all, going on for years now, I don't see RSE the way we traditionally remember it happening.

The only way I can see RSE alignment Romulans happening is them turning out like the Dominion and being friendly to the existing player factions. Think "Victory is Life" but with an RSE flavor instead.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You are free to 'head cannon' anything you want for your character.

If you want to be part of the Romulan Republic.. then fine. Use the I.R.W. prefix on your ship, deck yourself out in the Romulan Empire uniforms and boom.. you're in the RSE or the Tal'Shiar.. done.

My Romulan wears Klingon Honor Guard armor and hangs out on Qo'nos because D'Tan is too soft. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Ah, this old chestnut again. :smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.

Is it? I didn't know that.

I have never actually tried to use it, my Romulans all think Sela and her lackeys are weak and stupid. :lol:

I was under the impression that you could use that prefix on any Romulan ship.. but I guess you can't. They should probably fix that. :smile:
  • steaensteaen Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > Ah, this old chestnut again. :smile:
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.

You certainly can't use it on the newest Romulan ship (Kholhr).
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The Romulan Star Empire is dead, Jim.
    warpangel wrote: »

Going by whats in the Picard trailer there might still be some flight in the raptors wings yet.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

Going by whats in the Picard trailer there might still be some flight in the raptors wings yet.

Star Trek:Picard is set 11 years before STO and the RSE isn't die until 2409 when Sela's bad leadership, along with Hakeev being an idiot, brought the whole house of cards down.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > Ah, this old chestnut again. :smile:
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Is it? I didn't know that.
    >
    > I have never actually tried to use it, my Romulans all think Sela and her lackeys are weak and stupid. :lol:
    >
    > I was under the impression that you could use that prefix on any Romulan ship.. but I guess you can't. They should probably fix that. :smile:

How anyone can see a Traitor and the reincarnation of Kaiser Wilhelm II as worthy of following is beyond me. Sela nearly destroyed the galaxy with her epic stupidity.
    How anyone can see a Traitor and the reincarnation of Kaiser Wilhelm II as worthy of following is beyond me. Sela nearly destroyed the galaxy with her epic stupidity.

I am inclined to agree, but far be it from me to tell anyone how to play their character. :wink:
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Hey, I've got a Rom merc who was flying his ship for D'Tan mostly because the Tal'Shiar tightwads running what's left of the RSE couldn't be relied on to make timely payments. (Say what you will about D'Tan, he knows how and when to cover his debts.)

Of course, then there was that whole thing with the kidnapping and brainwashing, and now tr'Severn is mostly out for revenge. Still gotta keep the crew paid, though...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > jrdobbsjr#3264 wrote: »
    >
    > How anyone can see a Traitor and the reincarnation of Kaiser Wilhelm II as worthy of following is beyond me. Sela nearly destroyed the galaxy with her epic stupidity.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I am inclined to agree, but far be it from me to tell anyone how to play their character. :wink:

Lol. For a New RSE storyline, they’d either have to rewrite D’Tan (the only Romulan political figure who could pull it off in lore so far), or create it from whole cloth. Sela and Hakeem certainly aren’t plausible in the role.
    spiritborn wrote: »

Star Trek:Picard is set 11 years before STO and the RSE isn't die until 2409 when Sela's bad leadership, along with Hakeev being an idiot, brought the whole house of cards down.

Well as far as I am aware the RSE isn't completely dead in that there hasn't been a complete takeover of all other RSE systems that now swear allegiance to the Republic and in any event Sub commander Taris appeard in the Romulan episodes of this game who was the commanding officer of the D' deridex Warbird Haakona in the "Contagion" episode of TNG which introduced the ancient Iconians and their gateway technology in the first place.

Hakeev in game was supposed to be her first officer during that incident who became obsessed with everything Iconian with catastrophic results ultimately for the Empire because of experimenting with Iconian technology causing the Hobus star to go supernova.,

Taris is seen evading capture after events in game and explaining that she intends to go back in time and reverse everything Hakeev has done before running into an active Iconian Gateway.

IF she ever succeeded then would have big in game implications such as the fallout from the destruction of Romulus having never happened and no Iconian war;or at least not how it was played out post the end of Romulus. There's also some chatter that if Quentin Tarantino gets his way with a Star Trek project how he might bring all the time lines that have been fractured post JJ Abrahams Trek back together;whether or not that would apply to Discovery as well.

So even if it's never quite done that way, and it surely also depends on what's done in TV and movies, bringing back in game the RSE is surely not impossible one way or another. A future expansion pack? :

ROMULUS RESTORED
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    yes, RSE is dead for good, until maybe a new empress/emperor raises to take power by force.

For now, you have 2 options: first, you use your imagination; second, you play as a federation pet by following the story.
    I personally use my imagination like I hate the hypocrisy of the federation.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Taris is seen evading capture after events in game and explaining that she intends to go back in time and reverse everything Hakeev has done before running into an active Iconian Gateway.

You might not be far enough along in the episodes yet.
    Taris died when you went through the Iconian gateway with Sela, after Sela told her that the Iconains are unable to travel through time.

RSE's a stiff! Bereft of life, RSE rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!
    'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! RSE's off the twig! RSE's kicked the bucket, RSE's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

RSE IS AN EX-PARROT!!

:)
    Maybe D’Tan could cut a deal with the Klingons and > @sennahcherib said:
    > yes, RSE is dead for good, until maybe a new empress/emperor raises to take power by force.
    >
    > For now, you have 2 options: first, you use your imagination; second, you play as a federation pet by following the story.
    > I personally use my imagination like I hate the hypocrisy of the federation.

My head canon is that D’Tan, assisted by a Army of Waifus with SRO and Subterfuge, is quietly grabbing the levers of power in the Federation and before long humans will be free to fingerprint and weave baskets back on Earth without a care while the Romulans do all the hard work of governing the Galaxy. If the Klingons will play ball they can help save the humans from themselves
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User

That is exactly how I played mine. I would always side with Sela whenever the option was available.

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited August 2019

I wish they had the proper ChR prefix available, but RRW works well enough as a catchall.

Since my old account was inaccessible for a while I made a new one in case the old one was unrecoverable after I returned to the game, but since I recreated my old character I ended up with two of them, so I turned one into the "mirror RSE" version of the original. In the mirror universe the "bad guys" tend to be the "good guys" and vice versa so it works out with her and her crew rejecting the corruption of the current RSE remnant and reluctantly hanging around with the Republic and the Feds as mercs.

Anyway, according to the lore, the main difference between Republic and Imperial ships is that the RRW tends to use plasma beams and cannons while the RSE ships tend to be equipped with disruptors. They both seem to use the same plasma torpedoes.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    indeed, the only problem is to be a federation pet. the klingon empire is now also a fedration pet, and all these fed missions are boring, and most of the time ridiculous from the point of view of the rom or the kdf (all the missions with kuumarke for example). more unique rom/kdf content would be appreciated.

see? the borg infiltration of the feeration has been a success. all empires now bow to the almight Borg. resistance is futile.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Given the way Cryptic handles things and their uneasyness with evil factions. They most likely still would have done the whole reunification storyline or facton of romuluans even if Romulus was not destroyed. The faction might have been a reunifcation faction maybe called the RRM Romulan Reunification Movement. The starships might have been abbreviated by RRMW or RVUW but Jj happened and so atari/cryptic had to find another way. Anyways the reasons why the Empire fell apart down below.

The reason why the Romulan Empire is the way it is because of many factors. Not just the destruction of Romulus but that was a main factor probably. The other big factor was Shinzon's rebellion. Shinzon managed to assassinate the entire Romulan Star Empire Government to the point they had to accept him not to mention his uber starship he had that could wipe out entire worlds so they really didn't have much of a choice but to allow a human to lead the empire. Shinzon wanted Picard and so the Romulan Empire lured him out.

Pretty sure most know what happened in the movie Nemesis. Data's Death major sad outcome :(.
    What might have hurt the empire was what happened in the first part of the Movie this played a huge role in how the RSE not only falls apart but led to the destruction of the romulan homeworld. At least from what I'm understanding could be wrong but anyways. Before Shinzon there was still many power hungry and ambitious political romulans. Wouldn't be surprised if Assassinations were not uncommon within the Romulan Empire government. Even still before the Shinzon event even with power and ambition and political assassinations the government was still stable more or less. Until the romulan senate basically was almost completely wiped out. The fight for what would replace them I think drew out many power hungry factions and this led to the instability of the romulan empire. Eventually if jj didn't happen and without the destruction of Romulus the power fighting might have been enough to destabilize the Romulan empire and this is why the Klingons invade and are able to occupy Romulus in the all good things future.

One way or another the Romulan Empire the way it operated plus political factors as well the biggie the destruction of Romulus itself is the reason why the RSE was pretty much destined to fall apart in one timeline or another.

As for why its not a playable faction
    There is many factors for why they didn't go with a star empire faction.
    I think one of the primary motivations was
    Cryptic isn't to much into making villain factions or got told no by cbs on this. Which is why they would never make the Star Empire playable. The Romulan star Empire unlike the federation or the Klingon empire is basically a military dictatorship. Though the Klingon empire might not be better. It isn't like that.

The code is why they can't do a full third faction. Cryptic played the romulan faction smart they used it as the basis to end the klingon/federation war the storyline going all the way to the formation of the alliance, which would lead into the galactic union.
    One other thing is they don't have many devs most got layed off or basically moved to other projects so their ability to make content is rather limited.

Romulans do have a choice to be more good guy or bad guy with the faction choices they choose at least when it comes to duty officer assignments. Yes they basically have to serve with one of the respective factions. But a more evil empire type romulans can always go kdf. A good aligned with Starfleet. They did this because they couldn't make a full faction or maybe a unique seperate starbase for them. Possibly resource limitations or coding issues. Would have cost more money to pull it off and that is why they did it this way

They had a vision for them at the time they wanted a rebel faction vs evil empire element. Its interesting how the republic mirrors starwars. Old Republic becomes Empire. In Star Trek Online but Romulan Empire falls and gets adsorbed into the Romulan Republic. They wanted to continue on with what Spock started in the Next Generation. Spock's connection with D'tan and the inspiration is what motivated the Romulan Vulcan reunification movement not only to unite the two races but but to become a society free from tyranny. The way they told the storyline is why I think the romulan starting storyline and the storyline is considered one of the best written in the game from what I understand.

Star Trek Online basically uses elements from Ds9 in the way the game functions and the way they tell storylines . What Sto and Cryptic are good at is telling the story taking elements and putting them all together. Within their story telling they prefer the pew pew pew, war and constantly having to defeat the bad guys narrative. Most their storylines with exception of some patrols incorporate pew pew pew. But 85 to 95 percent I imagine comes from all the tv shows that have aired as well as the movies can't forget the movies. JJ Movie possibly forced the game creators to alter whatever plans they did have with a romulan faction.
    Pretty much the Romulan Star Empire died with Romulus. Just the heart and body survived for a little while without a head like a headless chicken. But infection took hold and well it fell apart completely.

Post edited by thevampinator on

I am inclined to agree, but far be it from me to tell anyone how to play their character. :wink:

LOL. Think we're taking it a bit too real world inspired seriously. Basic point; getting to play as a villain faction for the fun of it if you've enjoyed how elsewhere a Trek race has been previously portrayed and developed. Not whether their plans /strategies are properly thought out and workable or who's the current leader which is transient.
    yes, RSE is dead for good, until maybe a new empress/emperor raises to take power by force.

Just like The True Way in the Star Wars Franchise. Ideas, which is why it's stupid to ban discussion of them, that gain hold in real life history like fascism with disastrous consequences don't just die with the end of a conflict it's practitioners lost or after a cataclysmic event in fiction. They potentially continue in the minds of enough true believers to be resurrected. Not something we want to see mirrored in reality but maybe interesting to explore as part of gaming in the Trek universe.
This discussion has been closed.