test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing As The Romulan Empire And Not The Republic

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Not to mention, if we did get an RSE faction we'd just defect after the tutorial and join the common storyline. Because that's what "faction" means in this game.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Not to mention, if we did get an RSE faction we'd just defect after the tutorial and join the common storyline. Because that's what "faction" means in this game.
    Well, if you could play RSE it'd be an inside PoV as the tattered remains of the Empire fall apart, then you get to meet D'Tan….
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Romulans got it backwards. It was supposed to be a Republic followed by the Empire, not the other way around. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    After the vandels sack the remnants of the Empire.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > Ah, this old chestnut again. :smile:
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wish they had the proper ChR prefix available, but RRW works well enough as a catchall.
    >
    > Since my old account was inaccessible for a while I made a new one in case the old one was unrecoverable after I returned to the game, but since I recreated my old character I ended up with two of them, so I turned one into the "mirror RSE" version of the original. In the mirror universe the "bad guys" tend to be the "good guys" and vice versa so it works out with her and her crew rejecting the corruption of the current RSE remnant and reluctantly hanging around with the Republic and the Feds as mercs.
    >
    > Anyway, according to the lore, the main difference between Republic and Imperial ships is that the RRW tends to use plasma beams and cannons while the RSE ships tend to be equipped with disruptors. They both seem to use the same plasma torpedoes.

A Chr prefix on romulan ships has never appeared in any canon Trek material and therefore is not and never has been "proper".

The "proper" was meant more as a joke than anything else, though it brings up the fact that there are no solid prefixes for Romulan ships in canon since none of them directly identify themselves with a prefix in any of the shows.

On the other hand some rihannsu words have made it into canon which makes the language at least quasi-canon, and ChR makes sense in that language whereas "IRW" (Imperial Romulan Warbird), and the more often used "PWB" (Praetorian WarBird), only make sense in English/Federation. And since the IRW and PRB prefixes ONLY appear in Federation reports on Federation screens (and just as throwaway screen filler at that) about Romulan ships it may just be something Starfleet tacks on as a convenience and not Romulan usage at all.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > Ah, this old chestnut again. :smile:
    >
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, @seaofsorrows , but isn't the IRW prefix unavailable for the newer, post-LOR Romulan ships? At least, I have been able to use it on most of mine.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I wish they had the proper ChR prefix available, but RRW works well enough as a catchall.
    >
    > Since my old account was inaccessible for a while I made a new one in case the old one was unrecoverable after I returned to the game, but since I recreated my old character I ended up with two of them, so I turned one into the "mirror RSE" version of the original. In the mirror universe the "bad guys" tend to be the "good guys" and vice versa so it works out with her and her crew rejecting the corruption of the current RSE remnant and reluctantly hanging around with the Republic and the Feds as mercs.
    >
    > Anyway, according to the lore, the main difference between Republic and Imperial ships is that the RRW tends to use plasma beams and cannons while the RSE ships tend to be equipped with disruptors. They both seem to use the same plasma torpedoes.

A Chr prefix on romulan ships has never appeared in any canon Trek material and therefore is not and never has been "proper".

The "proper" was meant more as a joke than anything else, though it brings up the fact that there are no solid prefixes for Romulan ships in canon since none of them directly identify themselves with a prefix in any of the shows.

On the other hand some rihannsu words have made it into canon which makes the language at least quasi-canon, and ChR makes sense in that language whereas "IRW" (Imperial Romulan Warbird), and the more often used "PWB" (Praetorian WarBird), only make sense in English/Federation. And since the IRW and PRB prefixes ONLY appear in Federation reports on Federation screens (and just as throwaway screen filler at that) about Romulan ships it may just be something Starfleet tacks on as a convenience and not Romulan usage at all.
    "IRW" has never appeared in canon as a prefix. It's an assumption, based on one ship in one TNG episode being introduced with the title "Imperial Romulan Warbird."

The only actual prefix mentioned in canon for romulan ships is "PWB" (with no canon meaning specified).

On the other hand, I find it extremely unlikely that all the alien cultures in the galaxy would independently decide to put an acronym prefix on their ship names (not all countries do that in real life, either). Having some/all of them be something the Federation tacked on as a convenience actually seems more plausible than the alternative to me.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I.R.W. prefixes would help. On all warbirds, for Romulans only.

At this point, pretending to play as an imperial spy infiltrating everyone else is the only thing left to do.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    As for why its not a playable faction
    There is many factors for why they didn't go with a star empire faction.
    I think one of the primary motivations was
    Cryptic isn't to much into making villain factions or got told no by cbs on this. Which is why they would never make the Star Empire playable. The Romulan star Empire unlike the federation or the Klingon empire is basically a military dictatorship. Though the Klingon empire might not be better. It isn't like that.

The code is why they can't do a full third faction. Cryptic played the romulan faction smart they used it as the basis to end the klingon/federation war the storyline going all the way to the formation of the alliance, which would lead into the galactic union.
    One other thing is they don't have many devs most got layed off or basically moved to other projects so their ability to make content is rather limited.

All true and it may well be that CBS will not allow playing "evil". But I think another major point, which warpangel indirectly mentioned, is that everybody needs to join up eventually. Having a full blown evil faction would mean the need for a different storyline for many parts of the game which needs to be created, and this only useable for a subset of players: a - Romulan players, and b - those wanting to play the evil side. And while there is a market for the latter, as countless games can attest to, it isn't that popular with the majority of players in general, and if the reactions on "The Renegade's Regret" - of course filtered through the forums which only a small percentage of players use - are to be taken into account, there is a large part of players of STO who are opposed to playing evil so wouldn't use it. So in the end it probably isn't viable to support multiple (major) ways of doing things here.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    edited August 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »
    All true and it may well be that CBS will not allow playing "evil". B
    Cryptic has talked about this before, and have said they reason why they don't do evil faction is because most people don't actually want to be really, actually, evil. Pointing to the massive negative reaction to things like Renegade's Regret, where many people asked to skip the mission because they found committing genocide uncomfortable.
    Yes, and also it would require them to make separate minority faction content again, which they really don't want to do. We've had two "factions" now that contain no exclusive content at all after the tutorial and that is likely going to remain the standard if they make any more "factions."
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Cryptic has talked about this before, and have said they reason why they don't do evil faction is because most people don't actually want to be really, actually, evil. Pointing to the massive negative reaction to things like Renegade's Regret, where many people asked to skip the mission because they found committing genocide uncomfortable.
    Yes, and also it would require them to make separate minority faction content again, which they really don't want to do. We've had two "factions" now that contain no exclusive content at all after the tutorial and that is likely going to remain the standard if they make any more "factions."
    Well the reason why they only do cross faction stuff. Is because of their limited man power that is the biggest reason. I think they are starting to hire new people from what I gathered from the live stream so hopefully this is going to help them out. Hopefully they get enough new hires so they can do less cross faction stuff. But that is a wild hope. Kdf duty officer stuff needs an overhaul and I think making it so dismissing officers does not mean they are executed would help make them less evilish.
    Could help the faction out if they did this. Also reading on the kdf on memory beta. It mentioned this about the kdf.

The Defense Force was known to consist of two elements, the first of which is the Deep Space Fleet (DSF) which consists of the regular naval forces. The second military group is the Internal Security Force (ISF) which operated smaller ships whose duties include policing rules, border patrols, anti-piracy duties, safety & rescue and customs along with tariff regulations. Their duty also extends to watching over client or conquered worlds to ensure they do not rise up against the Empire. However, despite its duties, the ISF is inferior to the DSF in political, military and even social standing. (TOS video game: Starfleet Command II)

Though there exists the Klingon General Bureau that handles external intelligence operations; the two branches within the Defense Force operate their own intelligence branches which tends to cause duplication of work as well as political infighting.

The Galactic Research Unit serves as the external intelligence agency for the Deep Space Fleet while the Maximum Veracity Directorate serves a similar role for the Internal Security Force.

So in sort, the Klingon Empire Defense Force would not support piracy for one thing. Klingons are supposed to be Honorable. Piracy and outright murdering and enslaving and selling people to the orions isn't honorable. That one missions were you can engage in dialog with the galexy ship after drake tricks federation star ships into the system does need to be changed so you can walk away from fighting the starfleet ships. Instead of being forced to fight them at the very end because of your characters words without getting a choice.Its basically this, Starfleet is tricked into the system. Can talk as if you might allow them to leave or whatever but it still forces you to murder them. Even if you try to avoid it the last option makes you go hostile and attack. They make you commit an dishonorable choice in that mission. As they were innocent only guilty of answering a distress call.

Kdf as its stands is the closet thing we have to a more evil faction in the game. I do think it needs an overhaul. To make it less evil and more honorable.
  • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Personally, I love the Romulan Republic story and how it paints my people a something other than closed minded without free will automatons who only know how to follow orders. I love how it shows my ppl's fight for survival, a new homeworld, and their place in the universe. IMHO it shows a people with much depth and compassion instead of members of 'just another Evil Entity' or Empire. It shows us as a people with hope for a better future. Isn't that what Star Trek is about anyways?

I wasn't going to post in this thread at first because of my passion/s for the Romulan people, so instead I condensed my very lengthy draft for my reply into the words above, lol. :)
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

people should learn to make the difference between a game and the reality.
    when you play at a RTS, you commit a genocide at each game :p
  • praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User

Exactly

I have never played an RTS where players commit genocide. Even on the evil side.

In some 4X games, players can commit genocide, but it's usually optional and usually much better (faster, cheaper, more profitable) to conquer enemies than exterminate them.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    In most of the RTS, you must destroy an other civilizations or factions, right? In some of them, you don't win if you don't kill even the last villager.

anyway, it doesn't even matter, a game is just a game: fictive stuff.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    There is however a difference, not necessarily in morality but in how it feels, between the abstract fact on a map and individually doing, in the case of Renegade's Regret, unnecessary killings even within the context of the mission goal. Also the difference between being ruthless and actually evil. (As an aside, the term "genocide" is still not used fittingly here.)

Apart from that, if people don't want to play stuff, to the company it doesn't matter as much why they don't want to do it, it just is a fact with which to deal. That you don't find it relevant doesn't make the company any money.

Again, many games exist where you play "evil". But in most of them it is being discussed. In some it isn't but these games are usually not seen favorably. Similar to other media which paing "evil" things in a positive light. It isn't necessarily "evil" if Cryptic were to include such a faction, but from the point of view of somebody who at the end of the month needs to pay those people making the content, it may just not be justified.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    In most of the RTS, you must destroy an other civilizations or factions, right? In some of them, you don't win if you don't kill even the last villager.
    The only time I recall having to kill any villagers in an RTS game is one mission in Warcraft III where a town was infected with zombie plague or something. Civilians are generally neutral, if they appear at all.
  • aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    RSE is dead in this game. The cast of characters that are involved in it are worthless for further story points. IF we were to get a RSE revival, we would need somebody new who isn't a bloody moron to take center stage. Maybe we can get a tie in character for that in the new Picard trek. Maybe they can come up with one on their own. More than likely however, they won't do it at all.

Replacing D'Tan by assassination would certainly be a nice twist to make the Romulan storyline pop with some spiffy new content (or content tied into whatever the heck they're gonna do next)? For my money, Cryptic could've left J'mpok dead from that poisoning episode too. I mean once Martok returned, he would have had my support as Chancellor.
    RSE is dead in this game. The cast of characters that are involved in it are worthless for further story points. IF we were to get a RSE revival, we would need somebody new who isn't a bloody moron to take center stage. Maybe we can get a tie in character for that in the new Picard trek. Maybe they can come up with one on their own. More than likely however, they won't do it at all.

Replacing D'Tan by assassination would certainly be a nice twist to make the Romulan storyline pop with some spiffy new content (or content tied into whatever the heck they're gonna do next)? For my money, Cryptic could've left J'mpok dead from that poisoning episode too. I mean once Martok returned, he would have had my support as Chancellor.
    Quest givers never die in MMORPGs.
    edited August 2019

D'tans a good man. I do like him. They won't do something like that. They could have killed Quinn off with the Undine storyline but didn't. They could have killed J'mpak off along with the rest of the High Council but didn't. They could have let him die in the one episode so but didn't. The reason is basically hes a main quest giver for kdf players to do something like that would require them to close off J'mpak and well they won't be able to use him as a quest giver anymore. Unlike some of the canon characters they have killed off in the storyline. The three faction leaders will always have plot armor immunity do to the reasons listed. D'tan is one of the best leaders of the three. Hes pragmatic. Hes a peace maker.Without him the Alliance just wound't exist.

D'tans accomplishments are
    He leads the Romulan republic resistance or was instrumental behind it.
    He gets the Starfleet and Klingon Empire to Talks.
    Do to the Romulan faction players actions he was able to get a very good deal for the republic including getting Starfleet navel and Kdf starships and officers.
    His efforts lead to much more then just the reunification of Romulans, Remans and Vulcans. His efforts are what allow the Alliance to form. So without him the alpha quadrant alliance wouldn't have been able to be a thing most likely.
    D'tan has given Romulans the means to that not only lead to the alliance but also the means for them to get into a very powerful place as they are in charge of the alliance capital. or Dyson Joint Command.
    D'tan has shown to be a very good leader because he has these qualities.
    Pragmatic
    Honorable
    Isn't corruptible.
    Hes many ways like Ambassador Spock.

They won't kill off any of the key leaders because that would also hurt the alliance. D'tan, Quinn and J'mpak are key leaders of the alliance and pretty much the founding fathers. Plus they would have the alter so much to allow them to killed off. So it won't happen. So far I think the Republic has been able to do so much more then the Romulan Empire could ever possibly do. So even if there was a romulan empire faction of course the Romulan republic faction would be better. At this point in time I just don't we will see it happen.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The Romulan Star Empire is dead, Jim.

Going by whats in the Picard trailer there might still be some flight in the raptors wings yet.

I wonder they greater force is?
    Getting new Star Trek shows stuff vs The Roms dont get content
    i wonder who will win in this battle of the titans

Safe money's on "The Roms dont get (much) content".
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
    edited August 2019
    tyler002 wrote: »
    The Romulan Star Empire is dead, Jim.

Going by whats in the Picard trailer there might still be some flight in the raptors wings yet.

I wonder they greater force is?
    Getting new Star Trek shows stuff vs The Roms dont get content
    i wonder who will win in this battle of the titans

Safe money's on "The Roms dont get (much) content".

PIcard show will deal with the Romulan homeworld destruction and has two Romulan's as part of the main cast Members. As well as guest stars too. So I'm sure Romulan content will be coming since there might be more of that shown in the Picard Show then Starfleet stuff. Since its confirmed to be a non starfleet ordinated show. Picards retired, so the show basically will be on a civilian or smuggling vessel.
    Now if D'Tan could only inspire those lazy Romulan louts in the Staging Area to actually work and not yawn all day he would be a truly great leader. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.