test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone else want playable borg ships?

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    No offense? You say that and then you insult him?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    To each their own.

^^This says volumes^^.

Personally I don't have a problem with others flying Borg ships. Yes, they aren't my cup of tea and to me at least, are not much to look at but, that is just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs and which ship they'd like to fly. As Spock once said: "There are always possibilities."

So ya, I'm all for it as long as the Devs can work out the flight mechanics, Why not? :)

• Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    echatty wrote: »
    No offense? You say that and then you insult him?

Isn't that how you normally use the "No offense" comment opening? Before saying something that will likely be taken as an insult, but when you don't intend to hurt the other persons feelings.

Though when saying "you're an idiot", it's easy for it to sound more like sarcasm.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    there have been at least 8 threads on playable borg in the past year.. when will this become an FCT??
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Apparently, it will be made a FCT when the Devs draw the line and put their foot down on the idea of the Borg being made playable.

I guess it being "frequently created" isn't enough for it to be considered a Frequently Created Thread...
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Yes, but there also has to be a definitive answer from the devs to put the topic to rest for it to be included in the FCT. That, or be of such a controversial nature that it causes flame wars.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Let me put it this way. If Cryptic gave away any Scimitar variant in the c-store, I would not take it. Even free is not good enough for me to take that ship. I don't care if other people like it, and I have never insulted anyone for flying it, but I cannot stand that thing.

Why am I suddenly in the center of this now? *confused*

Anyways... I did think of another thing that, at least in universe wise, would prevent taking Borg ships. They have no centralized systems. There is no Bridge, no Engineering, no nothing. How do you control it? Assimilated ships sure because they still have those centralized systems, but actual Borg ships are basically just corridors and alcoves.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Well... I basically said that everyone can make that decision, then apparently I got insulted (which got modded out before I saw it), and... well... here we are. I just be confused right now.

Then again that is my natural state. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Considering the amount of alien ships that we can obtain and have no legitimate reason to get for our Captains, there is no reason to not have a Borg ship. The Borg faction might be the only enemy faction where we can't fly some of their ships. Personally, I would prefer it being limited to Borg Cooperative ships or giving a borgified ship interior to match the Assimilated Borg set, but if we can have 23rd Century, 26th Century, 29th Century, and 31st Century Tier 6 ships and Tier 6 ships from far too many enemy factions, then it makes no sense to not have Borg ships.
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > To each their own. I have no problem with the Scimitar. The in game Vesper class, on the other hand, WTF.

Let me put it this way. If Cryptic gave away any Scimitar variant in the c-store, I would not take it. Even free is not good enough for me to take that ship. I don't care if other people like it, and I have never insulted anyone for flying it, but I cannot stand that thing.

I see, everyone with their own likes and dislikes

For me, their pack that has all 3 dreads is the only Romulan c-store pack I want to get.

As for the Borg ships, being released wouldnt hurt anyone. Those who wouldnt like them, wouldnt get them of course. The biggest question is if they would be a financial success for cryptic. If not its throwing money on a trash bin
  • Options
    praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Wouldn't be averse to that, By the same token what about commanding a star base or even DS9 itself in the face of mass attack?
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    no. just no. If one of our mods would make it a point to ask a dev. lets just put this to rest.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind commanding Starbase 74 in the middle of an attack... just imagine how many weapons you could potentially fit onto a station like that.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Why am I suddenly in the center of this now? *confused*
    Because of your high post count. When people want to complain they usually like to focus on or take it out on somebody with 'seniority' :wink: Consider it a compliment.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind commanding Starbase 74 in the middle of an attack... just imagine how many weapons you could potentially fit onto a station like that.

Starbase 74 is too small. What we needs is a Death Star with warp nacelles.
  • Options
    hairycanehairycane Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Yeah. Actually I'm still hoping they give us a Borg faction.
  • Options
    hairycane wrote: »

The problem with pure Borg faction is that while KDF and Fed for example still get orders from their leadership, in the case of Borg the leadership is an AI controlling your actions without free will. That cannot be playable of course, so they would have to add a playable liberated borg faction for people to be able to play as Borg.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Not sure why this thread has gone this way...but the title question is do you want playable borg ships. This should be a simple yes/no. Why the OP didn't make it a poll I have no idea. I don't wanna...other do...not sure where the issue is unless you want to FORCE me to use a borg ship (ala step between stars)...in which case...yeah I'm gonna have issues with that.

Exactly that. There are many ships already in game many of us do not like(different for each individual) amd we just ignore their existence. The Borg ships would had been no different if ever released any. A poll would had actually shown instead if there is any popularity to even be worth consideration
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

The problem with pure Borg faction is that while KDF and Fed for example still get orders from their leadership, in the case of Borg the leadership is an AI controlling your actions without free will. That cannot be playable of course, so they would have to add a playable liberated borg faction for people to be able to play as Borg.

Delta Rising already introduced the Cooperative as a liberated borg faction, so the story side of it is already there.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Personally I dont want them. Wouldnt pay for them. But thats just me, I know some people really like them.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    defufodefufo Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    elvnswords wrote: »
    No.
    No.
    valoreah wrote: »
    In a word, no. In two words, hell no.
    no
    Hopefully never, OP.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with no.
    No to Playable Borg ships.
    To answer the original question: No, no and hell no!

I agree with all the above. I wouldn't know what to shoot in a ISA with all the Borg ships...

Space - the final frontier. These are the adventures of Tovan Khev - told by his loyal servant ... err... Commanding Officer.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

The problem with pure Borg faction is that while KDF and Fed for example still get orders from their leadership, in the case of Borg the leadership is an AI controlling your actions without free will.
    It's not an AI, it's a hive mind of billions of drones. But it's still not a big deal. We're just pretending that the hive mind is giving us the order to do whatever we do. Just as we're pretending that it's an Admiral or General in Starfleet that is giving us orders to do a mission ,when in truth the only reason we do it is because want to. Quinn can hail me as often as he likes, if I am not in the mood to check out some dying star, it is not going to happen and there will be no negative repercussions. If Picard or Sisko pulled off something like that, he'd have to expect some disciplinary measures, including a possible court martial.

The bigger deal will always be: The Borg are villains. As long as they are villains, they won't be a playable faction. The best chance we have is something like the Tzenkethi mission where we play the Tzenkethi that turned against his own leadership.

The Cooperative could work as a playable faction, the Cooperative are our allies.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @defufo said:
    > elvnswords wrote: »
    >
    > No.
    >
    >
    >
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > No.
    >
    >
    >
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > In a word, no. In two words, hell no.
    >
    >
    >
    > sennahcherib wrote: »
    >
    > no
    >
    >
    >
    > salazarraze wrote: »
    >
    > Hopefully never, OP.
    >
    >
    >
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > I'm gonna go with no.
    >
    >
    >
    > seaofsorrows wrote: »
    >
    > No to Playable Borg ships.
    >
    >
    >
    > captainwells wrote: »
    >
    > To answer the original question: No, no and hell no!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I agree with all the above. I wouldn't know what to shoot in a ISA with all the Borg ships...

Include me in the "no" list.. if they include a cooperative mini-faction, they should have their own ship designs
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    It sounds to me that there are just as many players who want Borg ships as there are who don't want Borg ships. Now add in those of us like myself who don't have a problem with someone or teammates flying Borg ships and it sounds like the "I's" have it, lol.

Just trying to offset some of the negativity here.

As many have said. The Borg Cooperative are our Allies so their backstory is already there. Star Trek whether it be TV show or STO here has always been about having an open mind to new possibilities and discoveries. So again I have to ask, Why not? The biggest problem with this is going to be the flight mechanics so..... :)
  • Options
    Yes I am in the "I am not crazy about them, but good to have for those who like them" ground. Sort of neutral towards it. I would rather a T6 Voquv or Catfish(Kar'fi) instead, lol
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    It sounds to me that there are just as many players who want Borg ships as there are who don't want Borg ships. Now add in those of us like myself who don't have a problem with someone or teammates flying Borg ships and it sounds like the "I's" have it, lol.
    I think there is plenty of precedent for that. Kelvin Timeline ships and Discovery ships - heck, even TOS Constitution/NX-Refit/Universe Class might be some. Plenty of people though that these ships should never get into theg ame since they are logic-breaking or they just hate something about them, plenty of people wanted them, and plenty don't care particularly either way.

If you had asked me 6 years aog, I would think all ships that were pre TNG should most likely not ever be endgame ships. They are old, it makes absolutely no sense to retrofit some ancient ships and produce new versions of them when you can just use an existing modern one. But today, I am flying Disco and TOS ships and 31st century ships and all in between and I don't really care about such "realism". STO isn't that kind of game, and on the plus side, I have plenty of space barbie options to make my own hero ship in my own hero story.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2019

For the most part I play this game to play a traditional Fed captain. I have other faction alts I play with every now and then, but my Fed is definitely my main. But here is my point: if someone else wants to play something different from me, that is absolutely NONE of my business. NONE. It would be both arrogant and selfish of me to say that because I personally don't like a faction or ship that someone else shouldn't be able to play with it.

But honestly, all of that stuff I just said is irrelevant. The devs really don't care whether a vocal minority of people want/don't want playable Borg. In the end all they care about is 1) will it make good money and 2) are they allowed to do it. If it checks both of those boxes, they don't care if some "STOPlayerDUDE" thinks gets mad about his "immersion!".

IMO playable Borg is not a question of "if" but "when". People who don't like it will just have to deal with it when it comes, because it will come. And when it does, people will buy the ships like they do all the others.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    hairycanehairycane Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2019

It's a mission, not an order. If I get a pop up on the Fed side thats about a ship in distress and I'm needed in a certain place right now, I decline the mission and I do my own stuff. It's not an order at all as I, the player do what I want. Besides, the game also mixes up enemy factions in TFO's. Why do I as Klingon sided player have to destroy Klingon aligned ships? It's because there aren't enough players, simple as that. If people don't like certain factions, no one forces them to play them. I don't like Jem'hadar aka Ketracel junkies at all, so, I'm not advocating to get them out of the game.
This discussion has been closed.