test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone else want playable borg ships?

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    The problem with pure Borg faction is that while KDF and Fed for example still get orders from their leadership, in the case of Borg the leadership is an AI controlling your actions without free will. That cannot be playable of course, so they would have to add a playable liberated borg faction for people to be able to play as Borg.

True enough. But in the Trek universe a ship doesn't magically respawn after it's destroyed either (with the rare exception of some weird time loop).

Oh wait, this is a game! So people don't mind breaking the "in universe" logic to get their ship back after they die. Just like people interested in playing Borg don't mind breaking that "in universe" logic either.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    diplo#4946 diplo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Im all for playable borg too. If theyre worried it will dilute the lifetimer perks just add something special in the borg faction that lifetimers get that others dont. Also why are people against diverse playing styles/factions? if you dont like it dont play it, if you do then thats better for a wider range of people.
  • Options
    diplo#4946 diplo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Forgot to mention been waiting for a playable borg faction since 2013
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It sounds to me that there are just as many players who want Borg ships as there are who don't want Borg ships. Now add in those of us like myself who don't have a problem with someone or teammates flying Borg ships and it sounds like the "I's" have it, lol.
    I think there is plenty of precedent for that. Kelvin Timeline ships and Discovery ships - heck, even TOS Constitution/NX-Refit/Universe Class might be some. Plenty of people though that these ships should never get into theg ame since they are logic-breaking or they just hate something about them, plenty of people wanted them, and plenty don't care particularly either way.

If you had asked me 6 years aog, I would think all ships that were pre TNG should most likely not ever be endgame ships. They are old, it makes absolutely no sense to retrofit some ancient ships and produce new versions of them when you can just use an existing modern one. But today, I am flying Disco and TOS ships and 31st century ships and all in between and I don't really care about such "realism". STO isn't that kind of game, and on the plus side, I have plenty of space barbie options to make my own hero ship in my own hero story.

Too true. STO has already jumped the shark far too many times so Borg ships won't make any difference. The only problem is which end is the front in a Borg Cube?
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    yeahhhhhh.. No
    No-No-No-Signs.jpg
    Grumpy-Cat-Meme-16.jpg
    8de0cb74d2dc722b26ee838e5e355722.jpg
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    It sounds to me that there are just as many players who want Borg ships as there are who don't want Borg ships. Now add in those of us like myself who don't have a problem with someone or teammates flying Borg ships and it sounds like the "I's" have it, lol.
    I think there is plenty of precedent for that. Kelvin Timeline ships and Discovery ships - heck, even TOS Constitution/NX-Refit/Universe Class might be some. Plenty of people though that these ships should never get into theg ame since they are logic-breaking or they just hate something about them, plenty of people wanted them, and plenty don't care particularly either way.

If you had asked me 6 years aog, I would think all ships that were pre TNG should most likely not ever be endgame ships. They are old, it makes absolutely no sense to retrofit some ancient ships and produce new versions of them when you can just use an existing modern one. But today, I am flying Disco and TOS ships and 31st century ships and all in between and I don't really care about such "realism". STO isn't that kind of game, and on the plus side, I have plenty of space barbie options to make my own hero ship in my own hero story.

Too true. STO has already jumped the shark far too many times so Borg ships won't make any difference. The only problem is which end is the front in a Borg Cube?

The side that's facing in the direction it's flying.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »

Lol. :)
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    tyler002 wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »

I dont think that is even an issue as there are engine trails - they could also use the look of the tactical cubes that has something like a square "window" in front. Like someone posted before there are already some ships with similar challenge

APU:

8318379ab36d1a8b340c33b41e55bc091479230774.png

Lukari:

4e97f66e57cf6203d77e439f598d1ded1484336503.jpg

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I would love a playable Borg Cooperative Faction. I find the Cooperitive far more interesting then the Collective.
  • Options
    Here is a character I made a while ago based on Locutus and assimilated versions of the TNG crew:

https://imgur.com/a/nlE2RR6

I have 2 points based on that character:

1) it's kind of silly to argue about "immersion" when you can already see what look like straight up Borg running around on ESD

2) since factions have essentially lost all meaning and unique story aside from a very short introduction tutorial, I'm not sure a separate "borg" faction is worth having. I'm not saying I'm against it; my point is simply after you complete a tutorial and have to "choose an ally" like the Roms and JH do, how will that character really be any different than the one I made above?

Just random musings.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Is it at all possible, that we might see playable Borg ships at some point? Probes, Spheres, Cubes, Tactical Cubes, Borg Co-operative? Definitely seems like we should be able to, given that we have access to basically every other ship appearing in this game, and some that don't.

This has been asked over and over and over again and answered not going to happen

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Here is a character I made a while ago based on Locutus and assimilated versions of the TNG crew:

https://imgur.com/a/nlE2RR6

I have 2 points based on that character:

1) it's kind of silly to argue about "immersion" when you can already see what look like straight up Borg running around on ESD

2) since factions have essentially lost all meaning and unique story aside from a very short introduction tutorial, I'm not sure a separate "borg" faction is worth having. I'm not saying I'm against it; my point is simply after you complete a tutorial and have to "choose an ally" like the Roms and JH do, how will that character really be any different than the one I made above?

Just random musings.

I think the differences would be cosmetic. Like different tricorder and deflector/sensor visuals, warp trails, warp out effects, different interface sounds. Like the TOS/DIS/Jem'Hadar mini-factions. I figure (Cooperative) Borg might be closer to Jem'Hadar though, so you start at level 60 or whatever with some Reps and other stuff already completed.

I think a small origin story for such a character is neat. I don't need a 30 something faction-unique level-up story (though I am not opposed to it either, but I don't think that would be realistic.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    *checks thread date to make sure it's not old enough to be a "nerco"*

Ok good. On this week's livestream it was stated that a Cooperative faction is "likely, but not soon". So whenever that actually happens I thin it's safe to say people will get access to whatever ships the Cooperative has in game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    *checks thread date to make sure it's not old enough to be a "nerco"*

Ok good. On this week's livestream it was stated that a Cooperative faction is "likely, but not soon". So whenever that actually happens I thin it's safe to say people will get access to whatever ships the Cooperative has in game.

That would be nice
  • Options
    bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    no . borg should be elite npc that only appear at events imho . never agreed they should be common in TFOs far less playable
  • Options
    atlantis#9395 atlantis Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    Playable borg are a great idea in my opinion, i always wanted to fly a borg cube, or a sphere.. also, I rly don't see the problem of where you are pointing... hell i know several ways of fixing that issue, make a power that makes a pointer to point where you are going, like shield FX for front.. you can disable if you don't like seeing it, not like EVERYONE needs it... I mean Star Trek Legacy had totally playable borg (cubes and all) and i didn't even need the map to tell which way i was facing (and besides the map in there often bugged out giving the wrong direction anyway)
  • Options
    bruccybruccy Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Pretty soon there will be no villains left in star trek to get excited about
  • Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    bruccy wrote: »

I know right. I wonder how long it will be before the Iconian faction makes its grand debut.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I don't even understand why a lot of you want a new faction; to do what? you will play the same stuff, again and again. the tutorials are very short and after them every factions do the same missions.

they should add more playable contents, instead of adding useless stuff.

btw, a cooperative faction will be added in the future :" Cooperative is likely to be new faction, but not soon."

• Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Wow, this topic rears it's ugly head again. Quick someone kill it!​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I would much rather they fill out the Dominion faction with leveling Vorta and "alien" characters before bringing a Borg faction in, but since it is probably going to be a thing in the Picard show that will end up the priority instead of fixing an older faction.
  • Options
    praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    In principle yes but it would probably be a bit more like being in command of DS9 or a Starbase against an armada of other fast moving ships which since watching DS9 handle itself against attack from the Klingons (when being Dominion played against the Federation) and then later the Dominion itself I've always had a hankering to act out here as well.
  • Options
    discoricediscorice Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Sure, but Borg Cooperative, not the Collective.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • Options
    crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User

How true! I'm already a Klingon fighting other Klingons.

I get that some people want to fly Borg ships. For me they are just ugly geometric figures that I have no desire to pilot.

• Options
    praetorniralpraetorniral Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    crusty8mac wrote: »

See my thread "Playing As The Romulan Empire And Not The Republic" whatever issues there may be with that here.
  • Options
    noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Yes! I want to see playable Borg ship for make antagonist npc during roleplay event !

I not plan to use these ship like a main captain's ship.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I would love a playable Borg Cooperative Faction. I find the Cooperative far more interesting then the Collective.

Yea I've suggested it be nice to see 2-3 'Cooperative' playable Borg Alliance Ships a few months back as CSTORE options; but I'm honestly surprised they've never released a 'Collective' Borg Ship in Lockbox.

The only reason I suspect they haven't is simply because they'd be too powerful; yet the Iconians had ships with warp drive 200,000 years before many Alliance members. :o
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    redwren89redwren89 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Only if they make the liberated Borg character worth using at all, they should also triple the stats from the assimilated Borg set when used in a Borg ship to bring it in line with current sets, and because it makes sense for Borg components to work more efficiently on Borg ships.

I'm totally against releasing cubes though, spheres yes.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    all the limitations are being removed (except for the tailor :p ), so there will be a day a playable cube. why? because $ £ €
This discussion has been closed.