test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone else want playable borg ships?

245

Comments

  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,032 Community Moderator
    Yes to adding this topic to the F.C.T.

    I second the motion.

    Besides... we already have the Assimilated set that can make ANY ship in the game look like it was taken by the Borg. We can even see a Kazon Raider get assimilated, and we know the Borg don't even consider the Kazon worth assimilating.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    Guys, I know some of you are tired of hearing this request. And I would add it to the FCT, if the devs would definitively rule out playable Borg. Except they haven't. If you can get one on record saying "no playable Borg" then we can add it to the FCT.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    Guys, I know some of you are tired of hearing this request. And I would add it to the FCT, if the devs would definitively rule out playable Borg. Except they haven't. If you can get one on record saying "no playable Borg" then we can add it to the FCT.

    Fair enough, I'll stop requesting it.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    Do me one better, @seaofsorrows , and get a dev to commit to an answer, one way or the other, during a livestream. :wink:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    Do me one better, @seaofsorrows , and get a dev to commit to an answer, one way or the other, during a livestream. :wink:

    I'll get right on it! :lol:
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Borg ships are Ugly! Flat out Ugly. Cubes, balls, and that weird thingy we saw in the that one Lore episode of TNG. Boring and Ugly all of them. Just IMHO y'all. :)
  • lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    Not sure why everyone is so gong-ho against the ships. It doesn't matter what a hand full of fans want or not. All that matters is the bottom line. Emotional buggy whipping never overtakes cold hard cash.

    The question shouldn't have been what players desire or not but if the ship would sale or not and the answer is YES. If they made Borg ships even if they were watered down versions of them for whatever bs reasoning they could come up with, they would most certainly sale.

    And that is what i believe they are really waiting for. They are waiting for a way to shoehorn this to the masses so they do not have to make a new format to reflect what we know about Borgs and their ships without having to make a whole new system to do so. Such as adapting and the fact they don't use shields and that they have tractor beams and able to bypass ship shields so on and so forth. When they figure out a palatable way to make it work we will have these ships.

    In fact most of the people here that are saying no know that they would actually purchase the ships as well.

    I am not sure why people try to put certain things on pedestals and dictate if they are of worth or not. This game is mainly for fanatics of the series and just as their are klingon fans that have klingon weddings there are borg fans as well. Why would such small things like which way it's facing (Which clearly has been debunked by simple trails that all ships have there was even an example placed before you guys and you still have 3-4-5 people skip right over it and continue to plow ahead with this concept.) continue to be a pathetic straw man argument. And then size (Which clearly we have large ships from the Iconian and even the galaxy glass ships)

    I mean... come on... think about it. The camera is always over head and behind the ship... and the ship is always facing forward... i mean literally unless you stop your ship and TURN IT ON YOUR OWN you will always KNOW WHAT DIRECTION YOUR SHIP IS FACING. And my god if you can't figure it out it becomes a personal problem. HUMANS can ADAPT.

    Literally once you remove all the nonsense from the equation all the arguments against it make no sense what so ever. Zip, zero, none.

    Please stop putting things on pedestals and pretending there are unicorns or untouchable things in this game. There are not. This game does not run on hopes and dreams and red lines in the sane but cold hard cash. Will it sale. Yes. IT will sale and sale hard. And that's all that matters. I will wager, no i will guarantee we will have access to these ships and a lot sooner then most people think. I can clearly see escorts dreadnoughts and carriers in my minds eye and they already have the foundation for these items, so why would they not use them? It's insane to believe they won't.

    Unless people have better arguments then "I can't tell which way i am facing" or "It's too big" both which have been debunked, I don't see what the argument against can be.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • srbin666srbin666 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    i would like to see borg ships in the game....like a lta i already have "playable borg"
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,062 Arc User
    lasonio wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so gong-ho against the ships. It doesn't matter what a hand full of fans want or not. All that matters is the bottom line. Emotional buggy whipping never overtakes cold hard cash.

    Yes, but this forum is a place for discussions and opinions. It's obvious that Cryptic has the final say, but we'll continue to make our voices heard and a good portion of us do not want playable Borg ships.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Is it at all possible, that we might see playable Borg ships at some point? Probes, Spheres, Cubes, Tactical Cubes, Borg Co-operative? Definitely seems like we should be able to, given that we have access to basically every other ship appearing in this game, and some that don't.
    We have ships from timelines that don't exist. We have ships from races that no longer exist. The Lobi Consortium has better starship engineers than any galactic governing entity that spans hundreds of worlds. We have dinosaurs with lasers on their heads.

    Sure. Go for it.

    STO is a nonsensical celebration of everything that ever appeared in an episode of Star Trek. This game abandoned verisimilitude years ago. If you are into Borg and want Borg BOffs, weapons, armor, ships and ship interiors, ask for it. The sky (and your finances) are the limit.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    To answer the original question: No, no and hell no!

    I would however like to see a unique Borg-inspired design and level of assimilated functionality for the 2410 era. That might be fun?
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,534 Arc User
    lasonio wrote: »

    In fact most of the people here that are saying no know that they would actually purchase the ships as well.

    And you know this because....?
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 5,836 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    if playable Borg Ships ever come into the game...this game is truly doomed.

    Why? What would flyable Borg ships do to the game that flyable Son'a, Tzenkethi, Elachi, etc etc ships, or even the Enterprise-J, didn't already do? The Cooperative gave us a viable option for a Borg faction, if the cubes spheres, etc were restricted to characters of that hypothetical new faction then what would the issue be?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    QIBp95C.png
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 3,070 Arc User
    I vote no to playable Borg ships unless the Borg Cooperative faction comes into the game. Otherwise, I got tired of the Borg during Voyager. They lost their touch in TNG, I did not mind that one Enterprise episode that involved them. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 4,225 Arc User
    dark4blood wrote: »
    if playable Borg Ships ever come into the game...this game is truly doomed.

    Why? What would flyable Borg ships do to the game that flyable Son'a, Tzenkethi, Elachi, etc etc ships, or even the Enterprise-J, didn't already do? The Cooperative gave us a viable option for a Borg faction, if the cubes spheres, etc were restricted to characters of that hypothetical new faction then what would the issue be?

    The Cubes would be hard to fly because the camera perspective doesn't go out far enough, and most of all, do you really think said players would be happy with only 8 weapon slots for it? Of course not.

    The game needs a BIG BAD for which things are unobtainable for players, and in the case of the Borg, they need a big boost of something to restore them to the BIG BAD that the Dev's have already said they want to happen. Most likely they'll eventually assimilate Solanae tech.

    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,655 Arc User
    Most likely they'll eventually assimilate Solanae tech.

    like we have access to the iconian tech, the borg should have access to this tech too. That would be fun to see the borg to spawn solar gateways, the elite drones could use the thrall portals + all the iconian stuff :p
    "Meta is what you like" : Spot the Red cat

    Un ali mat zo mat bepred Ha pa ve digant ur sot e ve
    (Good advice is always good, even though it comes from an idiot).
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 5,836 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    dark4blood wrote: »
    if playable Borg Ships ever come into the game...this game is truly doomed.

    Why? What would flyable Borg ships do to the game that flyable Son'a, Tzenkethi, Elachi, etc etc ships, or even the Enterprise-J, didn't already do? The Cooperative gave us a viable option for a Borg faction, if the cubes spheres, etc were restricted to characters of that hypothetical new faction then what would the issue be?

    The Cubes would be hard to fly because the camera perspective doesn't go out far enough

    People said this about the Enterprise-J. Then the Enterprise-J became flyable. If it really ended up being an issue they could increase the maximum camera zoom-out on big ships.
    leemwatson wrote: »
    do you really think said players would be happy with only 8 weapon slots for it?

    Why wouldn't they? The Enterprise-J is massive and only has eight, so I see no reason why any other ship would get more than that.
    leemwatson wrote: »
    The game needs a BIG BAD for which things are unobtainable for players, and in the case of the Borg, they need a big boost of something to restore them to the BIG BAD that the Dev's have already said they want to happen. Most likely they'll eventually assimilate Solanae tech.

    Just takes some dialogue explaining that the Collective has found a way to prevent the Cooperative from liberating additional drones and ships, and therefore doesn't have access to the advances they've made by assimilating Solanae, Iconian, or future tech. That would leave the Cooperative with outdated ships and the Collective with advanced ships capable of laying waste to current Fed, Rom, and Klink fleets.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    QIBp95C.png
  • harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    Not really, not my cup of tea. But, if there was a really small rubik's cube to fly, then maybe.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    YES!

    It has been asked time and time again and really not a word from Devs. Mostly some Borg haters who don't get pass their negative views to even entertain such idea. The reason why Devs don't say much about it is because they are probably saving it to make an EPIC comeback before servers go down and perhaps to revive STO on a final event.

    Imagine that these days, we even have Dinos running around shooting with lasers from heir #[email protected] heads? how ridiculous is that. Yet, you can't have Borg ships because is no canon to do so?. Where's the logic.

    It will happen...just a matter of timing.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 7,036 Community Moderator
    lasonio wrote: »
    Not sure why everyone is so gong-ho against the ships...

    There's actually more to it than just ship facing issues. Banking is also an issue. Borg cubes do not bank. Pitching up and down... in fact, just about all of the typical flight animations for a starship do not apply to a Borg Cube. The devs have modeled this. They have acknowledged that actually flying a Borg Cube is an issue. It's NOT been debunked, but rather plainly stated as a problem that would need to be overcome. The devs are aware, though, that players want to fly Borg ships. Unfortunately, the devs have stopped short of drawing a line in the sand and saying "No" to playable Borg ships. I wish they would, so that we can put this topic to rest. They do, however, laugh at the idea of playing the Borg as a Faction, so it's doubtful that will happen.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of PWE/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of PWE/Cryptic
    Contact Customer Support --> https://support.arcgames.com
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online? Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,032 Community Moderator
    Realistically, the only Borg ship that actually DOES follow the banking and pitching is the Probe. All the others do not.
    Anyone who's played Star Trek Legacy and tried playing as a Borg ship in skirmish knows how disorienting it is to fly them as they don't do that and have no defined front.

    Realistically I can only see the Probe being released as playable as it does bank and pitch, and is small enough that we can more easily determine which way we're flying. Even without engine trails, seeing how the ship turns is a good indication of which way you're flying.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,878 Arc User
    Am assuming that Probes, Spheres, and Cubes will be C-store but Cryptic will put the Unimatrix ship into a lockbox or similar. Should it be a carrier that spawns fighter Probes and frigate Spheres?

    Z15lUoV.jpg
    gad9vMA.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,894 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Is it at all possible, that we might see playable Borg ships at some point? Probes, Spheres, Cubes, Tactical Cubes, Borg Co-operative? Definitely seems like we should be able to, given that we have access to basically every other ship appearing in this game, and some that don't.

    Sure would be interesting. I could see the Cooperative as a mini-faction for example.
    Maybe the new Picard series will give us an excuse to do so.

    But it is probably somewhat risky to do so for Cryptic. Some might consider it "jumping the shark" and what not. But those voices shouldn't be overvalued, there were also people that were vocally opposed to Kelvin Timeline or Discovery stuff making its way into STO and the game is still here.

    I guess the bigger problem might be that it won't be as cool as you think it is. Sure, maybe you fly the Cube or Sphere, but in the end it's still just like any other spaceship of its tier.


    What I would probably like more is actually a new take on the Assimilated Set within the current standards of graphic fidelity. I am sure it could look much cooler than what we have right now.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @echatty said:
    > lasonio wrote: »
    >
    >
    > In fact most of the people here that are saying no know that they would actually purchase the ships as well.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And you know this because....?

    He is making an, irredeemably flawed assumption, with no factual basis. For myself, I guarantee I would not buy any Borg ships, just like I have never and will never buy that pile of excrement known as a Scimitar.

    What is wrong with the Scimitar? Its the best looking romulan ship for me
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 53,032 Community Moderator
    To each their own. I have no problem with the Scimitar. The in game Vesper class, on the other hand, WTF.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 4,225 Arc User
    They do, however, laugh at the idea of playing the Borg as a Faction, so it's doubtful that will happen.

    Can you imagine the realisation of horror on some player's faces when they are forced to play the way the Queen tells them!? :lol: That is the main reason playable Collective could never work, unless everyone is a Queen! :lol:

    As I said, the game needs a big bad that actually goes out of it's way to make life hard for players (lvl 65 to be safe), just like the old days of when they would track players across Sector Space. There's too much hand-holding nowadays.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
This discussion has been closed.