Install Arc
Options

what is the best Star Trek Movie

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also most of the cast kinda came off as tired at times.

i can easily imagine patrick stewart reading through the nemesis script and going

35st2z.jpg

and then resigning himself to doing it anyway​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    I didn't mind them fleshing out the Romulans. It was revisitng the basic idea of TUC that was the problem. BOTH generations ended their movies with a superweapon with an improved cloak and a previously antagonistic superpower.

It probably would have been better if they didn't go with the crazy Temporal Clone idea and the crazy OPness of the Scimitar. I mean... how did the Romulans NOT see this thing being built under their noses?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    they did - we already went over this in another thread​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    i figured he probably was, but i never get tired of using that image...and i don't even know which episode it's from​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Star Trek First Contact
    It probably would have been better if they didn't go with the crazy Temporal Clone idea

Imo simply replacing Shinzon with Sela would have made Nemesis a significantly better movie.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    It probably would have been better if they didn't go with the crazy Temporal Clone idea

Imo simply replacing Shinzon with Sela would have made Nemesis a significantly better movie.

I think so too. They had already established Sela in the show. Together with pretty cool additions of the Remans it would have been mega great to see her return as main antagonist in such a film.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Star Trek Insurection
    I think you missed smoke saying she likes TMP, and I happen to like Insurrection.
    YAS! hard to choose between it and nemesis, both are quite good.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country
    Nemesis is equal parts a riff in WOK and TUC.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > evilmark444 wrote: »
    >
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > It probably would have been better if they didn't go with the crazy Temporal Clone idea
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Imo simply replacing Shinzon with Sela would have made Nemesis a significantly better movie.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think so too. They had already established Sela in the show. Together with pretty cool additions of the Remans it would have been mega great to see her return as main antagonist in such a film.

I would have preffered Lore as the Nemesis villain myself.

Oh yea!!! I agree, would not have minded to pick him instead of the whole b4 thingy and teaming up with Sela to form a pay back team against the Enterprise D crew.

That way the film would have certainly earned its title.

Dont get me wrong. I like Nemesis especialy with the adition of the Remans but just feel it could have been so much more.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The TNG movies are all wasted potential. Generations actually had the best plot but a weak execution. FC would have been much better without the Borg but maybe chasing spies/saboteurs back to the first contact that created a alternate timeline. INS is... Sorta beyond saving. It's just bad. And Nemesis could have used Sela and I like the Lore idea ☺
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,391 Arc User
    Star Trek 4 Voyage Home
    reyan01 wrote: »
    And whilst the battle, early into the movie, was good the rest of it just bored me and the inclusion/introduction of the Borg Queen was just stupid - felt like they were saying "we have to give the auidence someONE to hate as they're too stupid to understand the concept of a hive mind".
    That might well be the explanation of why the Borg Queen happened. It's reminiscent of the tale told by the Wachowskis about why The Matrix had that dumb "battery" explanation for keeping people in the simulation, despite the fact that even seven billion human bodies don't generate enough power to run the life-support systems, let alone the Matrix itself - the original explanation was going to be that the computers were using spare runtime cycles in human brains to supplement their own computing power so that they could remain sapient, but the studio thought the audience would be too stupid to understand such a "complicated" idea (even though it also explains perfectly why the Agents could replace anyone at any time).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Star Trek Insurection
    Honestly, the concept of a hivemind doesn't work when you add people who don't like it. You're constantly forcefully adding people who have reason to want to change the Collective. It's not going to stay the same unless a force is acting to force it to stay the same. Otherwise Borg goals would be constantly shifting and changing.

Nemesis was neat because the story was focused on the Romulans and Picard was just there. Well, I mean except for the fact the bad guy was a clone of him, and specifically asked him to come :p The way it focused on Romulan society was the best part.

My favorite part of Insurrection was that it took the concept of "possession is 9/10 of the law" and made a Star Trek plot out of it. :p No stupid philosophizing about the heroes serving the greater good. The core is a question about who owns the planet.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,121 Community Moderator
    I kinda view the Queen as a central processor or even "signal boosters". And there are several spread out across Borg territory. The main problem with the Queens though seems to be that they have a level of individuality and emotion. It may be that in order to process all the data going through them they need some kind of personality to remain functional otherwise they are just inert, overwhelmed brain matter processors. When the Borg go after homeworlds, the Queens serve as a mouthpiece for the Collective, maybe even singling out exceptional individuals to do so on their behalf if they feel a more familiar face will do, such as Picard in BoBW.

The reason I see the Queen as a Central Processor is because of what happened in First Contact. If there was only one Queen for the entire Collective, then her going back in time would have disconnected her from the Collective in the 24th Century. A devastating blow should she fail in her gambit of assimilating Earth in the past. The fact she did so without hesitation would indicate at least one thing, that she is not the only Queen and therefor not a total risk to the Collective. It will hurt, but the potential benefit outweighs the risk. And as we saw... destroying the Queen killed all the Borg around her. And since she was technically disconnected from the Collective, it was only the Borg aboard Enterprise connected to her.

Losing the Queen in Voyager was a more devastating blow because she WAS connected to the full Collective, and she was in Unimatrix One, THE central hub of the Collective.

In canon we don't know the FULL extent of the damage caused to the Collective, but it is safe to say that the Borg may recover in time if my theory about the Queens being processors is accurate. It would just take time to actually reestablish Unimatrix One, and select or create another Queen to install into the Unimatrix.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    a unicomplex may not take too long to build, given the resources the borg have at their disposal and no pesky bureaucracy getting in the way...but rebuilding 6 transwarp hubs AND the entire network of conduits - because with every interspacial manifold destroyed, they would have all deteriorated rapidly - is going to take far longer​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    Star Trek Insurection
    I kinda view the Queen as a central processor or even "signal boosters". And there are several spread out across Borg territory. The main problem with the Queens though seems to be that they have a level of individuality and emotion. It may be that in order to process all the data going through them they need some kind of personality to remain functional otherwise they are just inert, overwhelmed brain matter processors. When the Borg go after homeworlds, the Queens serve as a mouthpiece for the Collective, maybe even singling out exceptional individuals to do so on their behalf if they feel a more familiar face will do, such as Picard in BoBW.

The reason I see the Queen as a Central Processor is because of what happened in First Contact. If there was only one Queen for the entire Collective, then her going back in time would have disconnected her from the Collective in the 24th Century. A devastating blow should she fail in her gambit of assimilating Earth in the past. The fact she did so without hesitation would indicate at least one thing, that she is not the only Queen and therefor not a total risk to the Collective. It will hurt, but the potential benefit outweighs the risk. And as we saw... destroying the Queen killed all the Borg around her. And since she was technically disconnected from the Collective, it was only the Borg aboard Enterprise connected to her.

Losing the Queen in Voyager was a more devastating blow because she WAS connected to the full Collective, and she was in Unimatrix One, THE central hub of the Collective.

In canon we don't know the FULL extent of the damage caused to the Collective, but it is safe to say that the Borg may recover in time if my theory about the Queens being processors is accurate. It would just take time to actually reestablish Unimatrix One, and select or create another Queen to install into the Unimatrix.
    Yeah, the Borg Queen called herself "the one who brings order to chaos". Which is what a hive mind that doesn't agree is. The most common version of a hive mind in sci-fi is a homogenous whole where all parts of the hive agree on everything. The Borg aren't that. Most Borg don't even want to be part of the Collective. Thus the Borg NEED something to control the anarchy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    > @reyan01 said:
    > Yeah - I'm probably alone in this opinion, but I don't actually think all that much of FC. I mean, regardless of how he must've felt about the Borg, I didn't like them turning Picard into an angry action hero - it was too big a departure from his characterisation in TNG for my liking. And whilst the battle, early into the movie, was good the rest of it just bored me and the inclusion/introduction of the Borg Queen was just stupid - felt like they were saying "we have to give the auidence someONE to hate as they're too stupid to understand the concept of a hive mind".

FC is not a good a movie, it just got loads of action. DS9 is also very popular and coincidentally the show with the most action scenes. I think a lot of the praise FC gets is for the visuals, because the actual story doesn't work at all, especially within established canon. The whole trip to the past makes no sense when the Borg coukd just send two cubes to assimilate Earth, let alone a dozen. One stray cube attacking Earth worked for the original "natural hazard" Borg. FC Borg with the stupid Queen act just moronic. Also, it doesn't just feel this way, that's literally the reason. The Borg needed a face for the audience to antagonize. Behind the scenes info by the way also says the Queen is a literal person, not a processor or manifestation. She literally owns the Borg. She verbally adresses single drones and sends them to do stuff. That is stupid.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options

Yeah, the Borg Queen called herself "the one who brings order to chaos". Which is what a hive mind that doesn't agree is. The most common version of a hive mind in sci-fi is a homogenous whole where all parts of the hive agree on everything. The Borg aren't that. Most Borg don't even want to be part of the Collective. Thus the Borg NEED something to control the anarchy.

Honestly not meaning to sound offensive here - and this is not so much directed at you as it is the silly Queen concept.

The writers either missed the point or, again, thought the average viewer would be too stupid to understand the concept. There should be no "most Borg don't even want to be part of the collective" - that implies individuality and frankly, once assimiliated into the collective there shouldn't BE any of that; it's supposed to be a singular mind - there ARE no individuals to 'not want to be part of the collective' - that was another byproduct of the Queen diluting the concept.

The Borg worked in TNG, and I recall that 'Q-Who' was a shocker when it first aired, and they followed that up with 'Best of Both Worlds' - nothing I can say about that two-parter that hasn't been said before.

And then along comes First Contact and the stupid Borg Queen. They gave the Hive Mind a face - which ruined the impact. They made her basically obsessed with Picard and Data, which was stupid. And they opened the door for the writers of Voyager to turn them into a pale shadow of what they once were.

Q spoke of the Borg in singular. It was "the ultimate user".​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Star Trek Insurection
    angrytarg wrote: »

Honestly not meaning to sound offensive here - and this is not so much directed at you as it is the silly Queen concept.

The writers either missed the point or, again, thought the average viewer would be too stupid to understand the concept. There should be no "most Borg don't even want to be part of the collective" - that implies individuality and frankly, once assimiliated into the collective there shouldn't BE any of that; it's supposed to be a singular mind - there ARE no individuals to 'not want to be part of the collective' - that was another byproduct of the Queen diluting the concept.

The Borg worked in TNG, and I recall that 'Q-Who' was a shocker when it first aired, and they followed that up with 'Best of Both Worlds' - nothing I can say about that two-parter that hasn't been said before.

And then along comes First Contact and the stupid Borg Queen. They gave the Hive Mind a face - which ruined the impact. They made her basically obsessed with Picard and Data, which was stupid. And they opened the door for the writers of Voyager to turn them into a pale shadow of what they once were.
    Q spoke of the Borg in singular. It was "the ultimate user".​​
    One interpretation of that though is that the Borg are not a sum of the personalities of the drones, but are instead controlled by an outside force.

Which goes with what Reyan said. Borg Drones do what the Collective demands of them. They don't act on their own desires at all. Thus it's not a hivemind in the proper sense of the term. It's a swarm of drones controlled by a central authority figure, IE the queen.

To be honest this is the conclusion I personally came to in TNG. The idea of a culture that forcefully assimilates others makes more sense as a form of conquest than as mutual cooperation. IE the origin of the Borg was a way of subjugating enemies invented by a race of warmongers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Kahn
    Star Trek is really not a movie franchise, despite there being so many of them. 1-6 will always have a special meaning to me and I can't really call any of them out being especially good or bad. Five has the wonkiest script, but given it's production history it's a miracle they even made it.

The TNG movies are all pretty bad to be honest. And the KT is a mixed bag. I like 09 up until the Kelvin gets destroyed, afterwards is silly. ID is horrible, and I don't get what they were thinking. BEY was rather good.

Discovery proved it's not a TV franchise either :)
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Star Trek First Contact
    For a stand alone Star Trek movie that hits it all right and still holds up to this day. Star Trek First Contact. Don't misunderstand Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn is still awesome but the Search for Spock kind of lets the air out its sails because even though we see Spock die, he comes back. First Contact is about humanity's first warp flight and how the bane of our existence is trying to stop us all because Picard fended off the Borg Queen's advances. The Queen feels betrayed by Picard so she goes after his/our history which we all know he loves as much as Starfleet and Picard feels cheated of his humanity during his assimilation & still does to some degree. Its got drama, humor, and Worf's one liner could give Schwarzenegger a run for his money.

However in terms of personal favorites and not just the logically best Star Trek movie, Generations was my first movie as a kid and it always brings a tear to my eyes seeing Kirk die and pretty much the death of my 2nd childhood home, the Enterprise D. When Geordi shouts "coolant leak" I still get goosebumps as if I am seeing this for the first time. Data is pure gold in this too as well as Picard's teaching about aging gracefully and accepting that it soon will all end. A little bit of a different outlook then when Kirk went through his midlife crisis in TWoK.

I also consider the Wrath of Kahn to be my birthday movie because Bill Shatner's birthday is the same as mine, 3-22. Fun Fact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Star Trek is really not a movie franchise, despite there being so many of them. 1-6 will always have a special meaning to me and I can't really call any of them out being especially good or bad. Five has the wonkiest script, but given it's production history it's a miracle they even made it.

The TNG movies are all pretty bad to be honest. And the KT is a mixed bag. I like 09 up until the Kelvin gets destroyed, afterwards is silly. ID is horrible, and I don't get what they were thinking. BEY was rather good.

Discovery proved it's not a TV franchise either :)

The decision to make it streaming exclusive and not a broadcast show was nothing to do with DSC as PRD and Lower Decks are also streaming.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,201 Arc User
    Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Kahn
    I was having trouble deciding between WoK and FC.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Star Trek Insurection
    I liked Insurrection, it felt very TNG, and that planet is likely where I'd retire too if I lived in the Star Trek universe.
  • Options
    who wouldn't want to retire to a planet where you literally CANNOT DIE?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Star Trek Insurection
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > who wouldn't want to retire to a planet where you literally CANNOT DIE?​​

Not just can't die, but superhuman health.
  • Options
    Star Trek Insurection
    heck, they established in the movie that orbiting the planet is adequate proximity to the effect.

There was literally no reason other than Ru'afo's insanity to kick the Baku off. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing