Options

Risa lag is unplayable

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > The interesting thing my Dear Inspector is that the dog did not bark.
    >
    > 'How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?'
    >
    > The game is updated, an Event starts, many report lag and rubber banding, ergo it must be a North Korean cyber attack.
    >
    >
    >
    > Accept for it didn’t start with this update or event. The reports have been going on for months now. lag, rubberbanding, NPC ships disappearing and being untargetable, it not new for today. Its also happening when the server is at its lowest population level in the day. So its not just because of a mass of people are online.

The Event portion was only part of what I was being sarcastic about, the rest was directed at others that constantly poo-poo reports of lag and rubberbanding. It has been fairly consistently reported by a number of people over many months but the typical response is 'it must be you'.

I can count on slight rubberbanding almost every day when running at Star Fleet Academy and from the Transporter Pad at ESD.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    The interesting thing my Dear Inspector is that the dog did not bark.

'How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?'

The game is updated, an Event starts, many report lag and rubber banding, ergo it must be a North Korean cyber attack.
    And many (including myself) report no such issues. Therefore, one must consider the possibility that the issue may not in fact be with the Cryptic server farm itself, but may lie elsewhere.

However, this possibility is seldom considered; for instance, late last week there was an incident in which all of Verizon's internet connectivity on the east coast of the United States, including their Level 3 connection nodes (through which much of Cryptic's traffic flows, on its way into their CogentCo ISP), went offline for several hours. During that time, there were a number of posts here complaining about how "shoddy" Cryptic's service was, even after the root cause was explained to them.

In this instance, since some report issues and others report no issues, it may be of worth to investigate what else might be happening in the region, or in the world of the internet as a whole. (And no, silly person, it doesn't automatically translate to "enemy attack", or even necessarily "hacker attack" - sometimes, it's as simple as "someone unplugged a server somewhere, bringing down several internet nodes".)

Update: Looks like, for example, there was an issue with a service called Cloudflare this morning, which had a quite widespread effect on the Net in general. (I imagine BitCoin traders had a few heart attacks before the corrections were issued...)

Jonsills,

How dare you be calm, cool and logical while most everyone else is pointing fingers.

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    If people took the minute and a half it takes, to learn how to run a traceroute, most of these posts would disappear - as it's usually down to a bottleneck, or other conditions outside of Cryptics control.

• Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    That’s not what I am seeing. I am seeing wide spread complaints going back months. When I run queues and run into problems approx 80% of the time https://www.arcgames.com/en/sign/inthe entire team reports the same problems.

Tracert is not providing anything useful, I am getting the same tracert when there are ships disappearing, rubberbading, lag as I get when everything is working correctly. Combined that with the fact when I experience ships disappearing, rubberbanding all my team mates do, my fleet mates do and local chat is full of people complaining all from different locations in the world then its strongly looking like it’s not a local issue.

Last time I experience this it turned out to be the server linked to certain character builds and bugged code. My bets are its something like that again over local issues. That would explain why it only happens to some people and it would also explain why it effects entire groups at a time.

To be clear I fully agree some of the problems will be local issues. But what I am seeing strongly indicates a problem beyond local issues. Local issues doesn’t normally cause the entire team to see NPC’s disappear and repear at the same time.

LOL I have been waiting for this thread and I predicted people would start to complain.

The Game have been in terrible shape for the last 6 weeks or so, steadily getting worse. The last 2 patches have not addressed the issues.

I have heard on NoP chat a month ago that Cryptic went from 4 servers to just 1 server.

I used to see the servers load up but I don't see that anymore. This is why I believe that all the Lag and Rubber-banding is caused directly by Cryptic and their decision to only run 1 server.

I may be mistaken and there may be 4 servers running but I doubt it. I hope I am wrong but i still don't see multiple servers loading up.

Maybe we can get some confirmation here?
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    If people took the minute and a half it takes, to learn how to run a traceroute, most of these posts would disappear - as it's usually down to a bottleneck, or other conditions outside of Cryptics control.

Interesting point. What is the name of the target server for the game?

-- tracert target.website.com.

-- (in the example provided) Cryptic patch servers, you would type tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com.
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User

I disagree cause i think its a software issue rather then a network issue. There is certain maps like Azure Nebula where you always have lag and rubber banding. I use proxys and I go without and the difference is none. I have a 1gbit fiber internet connection where i get about 950 down and 870 up. Also when you play with other people and you are in teamspeak or discord and these people come from different parts of the world and having the same issues at the same time as you have its hard to believe all use the same way to the server.

Also go and use 2 mine spamming ships with pets and do an isa or so and you will find physical objects like the gate or the tac cube ect... are disappearing. If anything i blame the weak graphics engine for everything including for why most bugs in this wont be fixed or can't be fixed anymore. That is just my observation and opinion take it with a grain of salt.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited July 2019

Interesting point. What is the name of the target server for the game?

-- tracert target.website.com.

-- (in the example provided) Cryptic patch servers, you would type tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com.

Server info on all PWE games can be found here;

https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4658/~/server-address-information
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    The Event portion was only part of what I was being sarcastic about, the rest was directed at others that constantly poo-poo reports of lag and rubberbanding. It has been fairly consistently reported by a number of people over many months but the typical response is 'it must be you'.
    I can count on slight rubberbanding almost every day when running at Star Fleet Academy and from the Transporter Pad at ESD.
    To be honest I misread your post and missed the sarcastic. Makes more sense now.

valoreah wrote: »
    “See jonsills post earlier in the thread where he links to this article. This could very well explain why certain groups of people will have issues whereas others will not. All depends what route your connection is taking.”
    While I am sure that is not helping that doesn’t explain the issue at all. Most of the issues do not appear to be a bottleneck or conditions outside of Crypts control. While routing is causing some problems it doesn’t appear to be the main problem.
    As the past have proven just because jonsills and others do not have problems, it does not rule out there being a real problem with the game/server. It looks those of use saying it wasn't a local issue are correct. A large amount of this lag was due to the wrong settings on the server. Now the server has been changed there is still lag but its playable.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    As the past have proven just because jonsills and others do not have problems, it does not rule out there being a real problem with the game/server.

I believe you should re-read this part of your post and think about it for a few minutes.

If the game server itself - that everyone connects to - had physical hardware or code issues, how many people would be affected? All players or just some? Since its clear not all are not affected, that should tell you something about where the problem resides.

From personal experience, issues with certain maps - like Azure - turned out to be an update to my video driver and such.
    The past dozen times this happened only some players had issues because the lag was caused by the server but only showed up in certain character builds. So unless you were in an area with one of those players you did not experience lag but the lag was 100% related to physical hardware or code issues.

Also a large portion of the lag on Risa is now fixed while there is still lag it is now playable. It looks like it was the server like I said all along. It appears as though they misconfigured the zones which has now been fixed.

• Options
    Is this in the patch notes somewhere? If so, I don't see it.
    It was not in the patch notes but they changed the zones from 50 people down to 20 which has cleared up the bulk of the lag. The flying gates now work as you go though them. I still get a tiny bit of rubberbanding but it is very playable now.
  • Options
    We've had that before where a certain combination of Traits/Powers firing off caused very bad lag.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @ltminns said:
    > We've had that before where a certain combination of Traits/Powers firing off caused very bad lag.

Proof or didn't happen.
    An example that always sticks in my mind is one of the early versions of Kemocite used to cause the entire screen to lag out and stop responding for the entire team for a good 5 to 15seconds in some cases. Back then in an ISA run Kemocite hitting the group of probes lagged out everyone in the zone. It was why the devs rebuilt the power. Over the years there have been many cases of character builds and combination of Traits/Powers having a large negative effect on lag and the server.

I am pretty sure the current problem of NPC ships disappearing and related lag is caused by some combination of player builds and player powers.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/PAB_sto/news/detail/9501383

4th bullet under Server Performance. There was a dev blog regarding the issue around this time but I couldn't find it.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    As has been said, problems can be in many places. If I experience rubberbanding it can be my PC, my net connection, Cryptic's server, Cryptic's internet connection - or a gazillion things inbetween. A 1 Gbit connection doesn't neccesarily help with anything than the second issue. I can have problems getting to Cryptic despite everything else running smoothly (although many other pages would be affected as well, taking the same route, it's just that these are pages I don't know about and don't visit) while at the same time others will get in fine. Personally, I didn't have any problems whatsoever yesterday even though I was on only 10 minutes after the scheduled starting time, while today after the update I have lost a race to one of the worst rubberbands I've experienced in recent times.

But if people say that their whole fleet is encountering problems I kinda see their point. Even with confirmation bias probably running rampant here, there may be some issues. Still, some testing could help. For start: shut down teamspeak, shut down discord, shut down your browser, see if that helps. I am not saying that with a good enough connection and PC on your part it shouldn't be able to handle all of them at once, but sometimes a PC or connection just doesn't. Or for whatever reasons one of these programs is blocking more resources than it should (looking at you, Google Chrome) so simply shutting it down and even restarting it may resolve some issues. Even if it may be more probable that the problem is outside of your control, just try to get the stuff straightened out that is within your control, if only to get it from "unplayable" to "annoying" and be able to do the daily.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    'Proof or it didn't happen' is a disingenuous response. Kemocite had come to mind but trying to look up something that happened years ago to disprove a blanket negative assertion is beyond the pale.

As are claims that 'it never happened to me', 'I've never seen it', etc. that is asserted almost every time someone brings up some issue that they experience, as 'proof' that they are false assertions.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    'Proof or it didn't happen' is a disingenuous response. Kemocite had come to mind but trying to look up something that happened years ago to disprove a blanket negative assertion is beyond the pale.

As are claims that 'it never happened to me', 'I've never seen it', etc. that is asserted almost every time someone brings up some issue that they experience, as 'proof' that they are false assertions.
    There is a huge difference, me lad, between "it never happened to me" and "it's not happening to me". If the issue were serverside, as contended above, then logically everyone would experience it, as we all access the same server farm (unlike many games, which have multiple server farms in multiple locations so they can't all go down at the same time).

OTOH, while I haven't been experiencing this "unplayable lag" on Risa, I did just get disconnected from the Halo 5 servers three times in a row; as 343 Studios isn't exactly a shoestring operation, this leads me to the conclusion that something's up somewhere between here and there. The Internet's a big place, you know.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @ltminns said:
    > We've had that before where a certain combination of Traits/Powers firing off caused very bad lag.

Proof or didn't happen.

It was when the Command spec was introduced, it brought the server to a crawl and the team had to address it.

It was a well known issue, there are videos out there of ISA runs where people couldn't even move. You were here for it, you should know this.. it required an almost ground up rebuilding of the Command 'Inspiration' Mechanic.

Kemocite also had serious server side performance issues.

I'm pretty sure you already knew that though.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    I remember the shock from the quantum phase torpedo used to cause some lag as it happened.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    On the main topic though..

I have experienced some of the lag that people are talking about, but it seems like it would be hard to pin down. In my case for example, Risa.. is smooth as silk. No lag.. no rubber banding.. nothing. But I do see the Rubber Banding in places like ESD and occasionally in TFO's where everything just 'stops' for 1-3 seconds and then resumes again.

I have seen more lag spikes over the last 2 months then I previously have at any point in the game. The problem in my case is that they're not frequent or specific enough to really pin down what causes it. I definitely think something is going on server side that's effecting performance, I just haven't gotten it as bad as others have. The strange part for me is that Risa, even in a full zone works great for me.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    T”here is a huge difference, me lad, between "it never happened to me" and "it's not happening to me". If the issue were serverside, as contended above, then logically everyone would experience it, as we all access the same server farm (unlike many games, which have multiple server farms in multiple locations so they can't all go down at the same time).”
    You say if, like it was not server side. It’s been confirmed it was server side and it affected almost every player on Risa at the time. Logically everyone would not experience it as has been proven time and time again. Just look at this problem on Risa before the fix it all depended on which zone you landed in. At the time of the server problem aprox 19 out of 20 zones had lag. Only the people in the 1 zone out of 20 had no lag.

There have been many times only some of which have been listed in this thread where lag has not hit everyone but has 100% been server side. Logically and going by past history not everyone would experience it.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    @pottsey5g You are literally providing zero data and are just making guesses and giving personal anecdotes while claiming to do the opposite. This is par for the course for you. As always, all talk no action. Please provide something useful that actual feedback can be given on. Like a traceroute. That would be a good start. Otherwise, you're not being helpful to anyone. Including those with connection problems.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @pottsey5g You are literally providing zero data and are just making guesses and giving personal anecdotes while claiming to do the opposite. This is par for the course for you. As always, all talk no action. Please provide something useful that actual feedback can be given on. Like a traceroute. That would be a good start. Otherwise, you're not being helpful to anyone. Including those with connection problems.
    I am not just making guesses or just using only persona anecdotes. You say all talk but no action but as it turned out I was correct it was a server problem, they changed the server settings and the problem mostly went away. So much for it being a localized issue, the bulk of the lag was very much a server issue all along. As for not being helpful, I was helpful, as I pointed out what the problem was which in turn means you can avoid it if it happens again by looking at the zones and picking the sub 20 zone. As it appears as the bulk of the problems was in 30 to 50 zones and the higher the number the worse the lag was.

Traceroute is showing nothing of use. I am getting the same trace route when the server is working perfectly as I get when the server is near unplayable due to lag. Traceroute is not showing any thing helpful beyond that everything is normal on the way to the server. It’s one of the ways I know Risa was a server problem and not a local issue. If it was a localised issue Traceroute should have shown something different from standard.

EDIT: just because I don't always post the data or reasoning behind why I say something it doesn't mean I have zero data or zero reasoning behind what I said.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User

There is a huge difference, me lad, between "it never happened to me" and "it's not happening to me". If the issue were serverside, as contended above, then logically everyone would experience it, as we all access the same server farm (unlike many games, which have multiple server farms in multiple locations so they can't all go down at the same time).

OTOH, while I haven't been experiencing this "unplayable lag" on Risa, I did just get disconnected from the Halo 5 servers three times in a row; as 343 Studios isn't exactly a shoestring operation, this leads me to the conclusion that something's up somewhere between here and there. The Internet's a big place, you know.

And let's not forget the Russians. Anytime I can't explain an Internets problem I blame them before I blame anything else. Yeah, my laptop is 6 years old, but I still find it easy blame them.

:: shakes fist at sky ::
    PU-TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,370 Arc User
    Sorry, I was still discussing the original issue of lag at Risa.

Yes, the kemocite issue was real, and server-side. How could you tell it was server-side? Because when it happened, it affected everyone in the battle, not just one or two people. The problem could then be traced and repaired - and it was.

These reports of lag, however, which seem to coincide with overall Internet issues (which have become more common than usual - two incidents in one week is odd), demonstrably do not happen to everyone, and are therefore in all probability not server issues.

My apologies to ltminns - I didn't realize the subject under discussion had changed so swiftly. I blame my children deciding for some reason that I needed to be awake at 6am, after losing sleep to a series of calls from fax machines (someone out there has business cards that have my home number listed as their fax number).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png