What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Risa lag is unplayable

13»

Comments

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    About the lag.. i had some.. but i change to a low level population instance, and problem solved!, at least it works for me..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,188 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Sorry, I was still discussing the original issue of lag at Risa.

Yes, the kemocite issue was real, and server-side. How could you tell it was server-side? Because when it happened, it affected everyone in the battle, not just one or two people. The problem could then be traced and repaired - and it was.

These reports of lag, however, which seem to coincide with overall Internet issues (which have become more common than usual - two incidents in one week is odd), demonstrably do not happen to everyone, and are therefore in all probability not server issues.

My apologies to ltminns - I didn't realize the subject under discussion had changed so swiftly. I blame my children deciding for some reason that I needed to be awake at 6am, after losing sleep to a series of calls from fax machines (someone out there has business cards that have my home number listed as their fax number).
    But the Risa lag did affect everyone in the bugged zones. You where either in a zone that everyone was ok in, or you were in a zone where everyone had lag. That’s how we know it was server side.

Why are you so insistent that just because it didn’t happen to everyone it’s not server related. That’s not how it works. There have been to many cases to list where lag has been server side but did not affect everyone. It’s a bit like the current problem with lag and NPC ships disappearing then reappearing. It’s a server side problem but it doesn’t affect everyone. A bit like the invisible torpedoes as well, that was the same it didn't effect everyone.

Even with Kemocite it didn’t affect everyone as it was based on a number of other interactions. In the case of kemocite people were saying in a similar way to what your saying now, but I have no lag, it’s not affecting everyone, it’s not affecting every mission run, it’s not effecting every group so it must not be server related. The same happened with the problem with Command and well most of the other times it happens yet each time it was server related.

EDIT: Speaking of the invisible insta kill torpedoes has that been fixed? anyone else still getting that as I haven't seen it in well over 6 months now.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,397 Arc User
    One more try: There is one server farm. All of the instances are run on the one server farm. If the issue were server-side, it would affect all instances of Risa.

Lord knows we've seen enough of that in CO, where there are a number of server-side issues with the code.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    One more try: There is one server farm. All of the instances are run on the one server farm. If the issue were server-side, it would affect all instances of Risa.
    That is not how it works at all. As yesterday and all the other times prove. You can have server side issues that only effect some instances, not all of them. Lag from server side/code problems does not automatically effect the entire server or the entire Risa instances. In fact it is common for one zone/instance to have lag and another to be lag free. Sometimes its worth swapping zones/instances to get away from lag.

EDIT: For example at the time of writing zone 71 and zone 51 have no lag while the rest of the zones 50 though to 70 have a little bit of lag.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,465 Community Moderator
    Are we really arguing about whether there is/was lag? :unamused: Cryptic is/was aware of the issue. ANSWER: Yes, there is/was lag.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The patch notes for yesterday make no mention whatever of servers, in fact only 2 things are listed and neither is server related so I would like to see this claimed proof. I won't get to of course because it doesn't exist but I'd sure like to.
    The proof is there if you just look. The zones and zone cap has clearly been changed. Anyone can see that with there own eyes and see the new lower player cap per zone. You also just had a mod confirm the devs did know about the issue which again conforms it really was a server side problem that is now mostly fixed.

The patch notes don't mention anything but its 100% clear the zones have been changed.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Are we really arguing about whether there is/was lag? :unamused: Cryptic is/was aware of the issue. ANSWER: Yes, there is/was lag.

Yeah, but every time this comes up you get people insisting that they don't have Lag for some reason.

Is there Lag? Yes.. obviously.

Is it 'unplayable?' that's not as easy to answer.. the severity varies greatly from user to user. For me personally, it's annoying but far from unplayable.

If you're saying there is no lag at all.. you're either not playing this game, or you're a liar.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    EDIT: just because I don't always post the data or reasoning behind why I say something it doesn't mean I have zero data or zero reasoning behind what I said.

Fair enough but it would help the situation immensely. Because without that important information, you come across as someone who is just ranting and making baseless assertions. This doesn't help when people are trying to figure out what's going on if anything.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    EDIT: just because I don't always post the data or reasoning behind why I say something it doesn't mean I have zero data or zero reasoning behind what I said.

Fair enough but it would help the situation immensely. Because without that important information, you come across as someone who is just ranting and making baseless assertions. This doesn't help when people are trying to figure out what's going on if anything.
    Apart from having a good reason not to post my Tracert, I don’t see why I need to. I made it clear I had been running them and that it was normal and not a problem. I might not have posted the data but it was not a baseless assertions as I did explained some of the ways I got that data. I did explain I used multiple data points from different locations in the world. I don't see the point in spamming the forum with tons of data all showing everything is normal. Just saying it was normal and that's not the problem area should be enough.
  • Options
    nikfosternikfoster Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Crashes stars again today for no reason. Instances not even full yet, and yesterday i had a perfect day without a crash and dc. Now its crashes from entrance to 5 min all the time, and its not my internet or software, couse i was only playing sto for 16 hours. So dont tell me its not cryptic fault for awfull experience.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Yeah, but there are some around this place that subscribe to the notion of 'picture or it didn't happen' philosophy. They believe everyone is lying through their teeth, regardless of subject.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I have had no issues on Risa , but I had rubberbanding in other areas of the game. The hamster at Cryptic must be getting tired again
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,776 Arc User

Who the h-e-c-k is eating TRIBBLES? That's just gonna cause them to cough up fur balls.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Who the h-e-c-k is eating TRIBBLES? That's just gonna cause them to cough up fur balls.
    All game data seems to go through (93.191.173.69 ) which I have been told is the akmai run security server Cryptic send all data though. This is causing extra lag and packet dropouts. Enough packet dropout and you get dropped from the server .

Although I am finding the game playable and the lag is nothing like the original problem when this thread started. There is up to a 10 fold slowdown in the data packets once they hit that akmai security which is not helping matters.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on