test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Return of the Crystalline Entity

Comments

• painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I feel that without buy-back, the only equitable way for this to work is to unslot existing projects and offer no reward for them. No dil, no marks, no item. Those who wish to obtain the item will have to then buy it from Phoenix Boxes. It's a sub-optimal solution, but still far more equitable than the current planned change.
    I'd also like to mention that cryptic dis-incentivized doing daily projects after the initial 14 day project--because the rewards are almost half of what the 14 day project pays.

Had cryptic offered 4,000 dil for the daily (rather than 2,000) this would have compared favorably with the 3,571 dil-per-token of the 14 day project, and it is likely that many would not be stockpiling tokens at all.
    The management of this game over the past 10 months has been atrocious. This type of "thinking" is a great example of it: If you didn't play and don't have tokens we will give you everything for free. If you did play and have tokens we will take those away and give you nothing.

Precisely. At least force those without the completed 14 day project to buy their desired item from Phoenix Box and get no dil/marks payout for finishing the project.
    ltminns wrote: »
    No need for the 20 hour cooldown if they were to make a Daily availible for turn in. It would not 'flood' the market. If it did, Cryptic can do what they did with the last Bonus Dilitium Weekend, immediately follow it up with a Phoenix Event. So much for a long range plan.

As far as the old 'Tokens', I have 7 Shards on one Character, and a scattering of one or two of those or the Transporters or Transmissions on a couple of other Characters. All in all not much at all. As of the last year and a half, I have done these Events on one Character only, even Crystalline, which I used to do on all my Characters. The loss for me is not the point at all.

And the one thing people have not asked as they sing hosannas for Cryptic for their wise and thoughtful decisions:

Will Discovery Marks be made availible as a Marks Choice selection?

I like the idea of offering a turn-in option project for people with old tokens. 5 second cooldown, no limit. Cash in all your old tokens.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I think its pretty simple. Cryptic can just have a project where you can exchange the tokens 1 - 1. Yes it does take some time and work on their behalf but so does the auto finishing all slotted projects. Equality reached. Also for some of us being able to get the item the first day when the Event starts has its perks cause we can test the item if something is wrong with it, it gets fixed soon and most people become a working as intended item. For the Youtuber like Timberwolf ect... its great cause they can make an introduction video about the item before most people have it.

However if we suggest like the mod and other people who live here on the forums that people who actually played invested time or money should be punished because they hold on the token for the next event what do we get? A bunch pee'ed of people some people might quit and or badmouth the game every chance they get. Like we haven't had enough of that in the past.

I don't say Cryptic has to do anything here i simply suggest equality. I'm not a programmer but i can't imagine it would take much work to have an event project where you simply can exchange some tokens. Especially when the tools already exists.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • ghunny#1775 ghunny Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Can some mod delete this post please, thanks

Post edited by ghunny#1775 on
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    It's funny how people think that cryptic will change anything at this point. This is a done deal...it's happening. And honestly losing out on some of the old earned tokens for a unified one that will make hoarding for the next one even easier isn't all that bad of a trade off. I mean what they are doing is not ideal...or I would even say good...but it isn't the terribad that people are making it out to be either.

When people start to make legal claims for refund on deleted items, maybe they will start to think that deleting items which can be purchased with real money isn't best idea.

OK then don't be silly. Yes they owe you something for deleteing useless old freebie currency from a video game. Which was only good for completing projects... which if you didn't complete they are auto competing for you anyway.

Serious question... did they EVER sell crystal shards ? To my remembering they only ever sold the new TFO tokens which are not being deleted. Perhaps I am miss remembering and they did sell voth tokens or something... I can't remember.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    I feel that without buy-back, the only equitable way for this to work is to unslot existing projects and offer no reward for them. No dil, no marks, no item. Those who wish to obtain the item will have to then buy it from Phoenix Boxes. It's a sub-optimal solution, but still far more equitable than the current planned change.
    Why unslot? They can let people fill old projects with TFO tokens instead of free autocompletion and convert old tokens into dilithium and marks boxes.
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    Why unslot? They can let people fill old projects with TFO tokens instead of free autocompletion and convert old tokens into dilithium and marks boxes.

I don't think they are capable of changing the input requirements on slotted missions. Just guessing... in the past when they changed the inputs for rep missions and such they left older missions with the old requirements slotted unchanged.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    husanakx wrote: »
    It's funny how people think that cryptic will change anything at this point. This is a done deal...it's happening. And honestly losing out on some of the old earned tokens for a unified one that will make hoarding for the next one even easier isn't all that bad of a trade off. I mean what they are doing is not ideal...or I would even say good...but it isn't the terribad that people are making it out to be either.

When people start to make legal claims for refund on deleted items, maybe they will start to think that deleting items which can be purchased with real money isn't best idea.

OK then don't be silly. Yes they owe you something for deleteing useless old freebie currency from a video game. Which was only good for completing projects... which if you didn't complete they are auto competing for you anyway.

Serious question... did they EVER sell crystal shards ? To my remembering they only ever sold the new TFO tokens which are not being deleted. Perhaps I am miss remembering and they did sell voth tokens or something... I can't remember.
    I don't remember them selling CE tokens but they did sell some of the other tokens which they are deleting. At 1000 zen it was not cheap either. How can you think its ok to charge a player 1000zen for items and then delete them.
    pottsey5g wrote: »

I don't remember then selling CE tokens but they did sell some of the other tokens which they are deleting. At 1000 zen it was not cheap either. How can you think its ok to charge a player 1000zen for items and then delete them.

Fair enough.... really I don't see what would be the big deal about turning them in for 2k dil each. Its not like that really hurts Cryptic and its all they where worth outside of the 14 day project use (which they are already auto completing).

But even if they don't want to do that if... they did sell Voth (seem to remember they may have sold those before moving to the universal tokens) it would be easy enough to go into zen purchase history and do a simple If zen purchase history = true... then count X tokens, and mail dev. They can then decide what to award people as compensation. Cause lets all be honest... the number of people that paid zen for voth tokens and still have them in their inventory is likely countable on one hand.
  • ghunny#1775 ghunny Member Posts: 2 Arc User

I edited that comment and asked for delete. Because i'm dumb and i can't read. Anyways i thought they are going to delete all commendations. Featured TFO commendations included.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »
    That is on hindsight. Always easy to say what is best to do on hindsight.
    It's not hindsight, it's following instructions. There was never a guarantee that stored tokens would retain value later, There WAS however a notice of "slot the project now, or don't slot the project at all".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

I edited that comment and asked for delete. Because i'm dumb and i can't read. Anyways i thought they are going to delete all commendations. Featured TFO commendations included.

You where not completely wrong though... I think they did have some of the old comms in the zen store. Not Crystal but I am pretty sure it was voth (could be wrong) wasn't long before they moved to the universals... still its possible some people have a few spare left overs from ones they actually purchased. (although I would assume anyone that did purchase did complete the event mission with them) So we are talking about a potential handful of tokens. (under 10)
  • totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    totenmet wrote: »
    That is on hindsight. Always easy to say what is best to do on hindsight.
    It's not hindsight, it's following instructions. There was never a guarantee that stored tokens would retain value later, There WAS however a notice of "slot the project now, or don't slot the project at all".

If you quote my test please quote all of it. Now you are leaving essential parts Such as "The point is that Cryptic should give ALL players who have event tokens, regardless if they have started projects, compensation! Instead of deleting items from players without compensation." out for your own convenience.

Also there was no clear notice tokens would become obsolete. Else all people would have slotted event projects immediately and or filled them immediately with tokens.

In fact people have been using stored tokens for later events lots of times as you can read in this topic. Some say they have been doing that the past 6 years. No, they now change things without compensating people who still have tokens. THAT is the problem. everything else in this regard, is not a problem.

Saying people "should have" IS hindsight.
  • drcybertronic5drcybertronic5 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Hello, I just asking will the Bonus Progress Token Weekend be happen in this TFO event?
  • drcybertronic5drcybertronic5 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Funny, my question just been answer when I re log to main web site, thank you
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The first ever TFO C-Store Bundle was the Voth Operative Transmissions last September for Breach. The Zefram Cochran Memorial Statue was sold TWO MONTHS ago in the C-Store in a different type of Bundle. And they are deleting those as well.

The First Contact Day Event is not a 14-Day featured TFO which is what this change was primarily about. Again, this is another C-Store bought item that is being unceremoniously DESTROYED.

TWO MONTHS AGO they sold the Bundle and they are not needed anymore? It makes you wonder if these people have a clue of where things are going from one month to the next.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Oh, if they did not think that this would cause a stink, they would have announced this change more than one week in advance. This way they are locked in and no amount of blowback could cause a change.

Also, perfect play hoping to pit the Playerbase against each other with the you'll get it all regardless crowd against the 'No soup for you' crowd.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Well here's a rub. I just realized that they had sold a C-Store Bundle that included 10 Voth Operative Transmissions and an Ultimate Upgrade Token last September. And they are eliminating something you may have PURCHASED for Zen.

Yeah, that changes my opinion on it. I forgot both the Voth transmissions and First Contact thingies were actually sold.
    That sets a dangerous precedent.

FTFO tokens you buy could potentially be deleted in the future. I'm still going to keep extras, but it seems I won't be guaranteed they'll remain. That's not cool (since they are paid items now).
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
    The first ever TFO C-Store Bundle was the Voth Operative Transmissions last September for Breach. The Zefram Cochran Memorial Statue was sold TWO MONTHS ago in the C-Store in a different type of Bundle. And they are deleting those as well.

The First Contact Day Event is not a 14-Day featured TFO which is what this change was primarily about. Again, this is another C-Store bought item that is being unceremoniously DESTROYED.

TWO MONTHS AGO they sold the Bundle and they are not needed anymore? It makes you wonder if these people have a clue of where things are going from one month to the next.

Of course no one was PRE buying these things to stockpile.

I would wager most people that bought a pack with 10 voth tokens used 10 voth tokens to complete their mission. Same for the first contact stuff.. No one bought them to stockpile them.

So worse case people have a couple of either in their inventories.

Its not like Crytpic is deleting lobi or something. If someone has 10+ of the voth tokens they didn't come from the zen store. I doubt many people that paid to finish their project and had a couple left over voth tokens cares much.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Don't know why people complain… the tokens are replaced for Universal TFO commendations… so every Featured TFO will give you new ones, you can complete the proyects with the next TFO, sloted or not, they unified the tokes, and yes, they need to get rid of the old ones.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

You are absolutely right...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    It all comes down to intent.

What was your intent when you slotted the event project; obviously to get the reward.

What was your intent by not slotting the event project and holding on to the tokens; the idea that you might (and let’s stress that word here, might) be able to use them on a future event project without having to take part in the event itself. Wham-bam, you have the current event reward without having to take part in the actual event to get it, because you “saved” (horded) tokens from past events.

Question; Is that fair? Well… I think there is a little ambiguity with that. It could be viewed as a way to take advantage of in-game mechanics to get an event reward without working for it. On the other hand, if you don’t want that event reward shouldn’t you have the option to save them? Of course, if you don’t want that particular reward, why take part in the event in the first place?

This is why I chose to use the word intent with this two-cent comment. And I think this is why Cryptic have chosen (wisely) to act as they have.

A player who has slotted the event intended to take part in the event to get the reward.

A player who has saved the tokens and has not slotted the event has other intentions. The intent to save the tokens to get a future reward that has not been specified, agreed to, or even (and this important as well) guaranteed by Cryptic.

Cryptic has drawn a line and asked the very important question; what was the players intention?

If the intent was to get the event reward, that can clearly be seen and quantified by the fact the player slotted the event. What cannot be easily quantified is why some players chose not to slot the event and saved reward tokens. Those players cannot prove they ever intended to use them or what reward they intended to use them for.

The only other way Cryptic could handle this fairly would be to look at each individual player account and see what event projects they have slotted (if any) what tokens they have stashed in their inventories (if any) and make a case-by-case decision. The people-hours involved in doing it that way… No, we wouldn’t see any more new content this side of 2020. Plus, I have no doubt that if they did it that way, some people would still complain.

Anyway, just my two-cents. I stand to gain nothing from this. I stand to lose nothing either. Personally, if I like the event reward, I slot the event and apply the tokens as I get them. Saves on taking up space in the inventory. If I don’t like or want the event reward, I don’t slot the event or collect the tokens.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    Yes, they need to get rid of the old ones, the sticking point is HOW.

I have 41 TFO Commendations on my Discovery Character, which gives me quite a bit of flexibility for the future.

Given the Voth Operative Transmissions and Zefram Cochran Memorial Statues, can I trust that future?
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

I have 41 TFO Commendations on my Discovery Character, which gives me quite a bit of flexibility for the future.

Given the Voth Operative Transmissions and Zefram Cochran Memorial Statues, can I trust that future?

Slot your 14 day projects... slot your per day projects after and you will never have a stockpile to worry about. Otherwise your just holding things to skip things later. Why should they reward that.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Yet, with all this screaming of outrage has it ever occurred to such people that this is exactly the reason why Cryptic is doing what they're doing with the seasonal events: to stop those hoarding previous event-related currency for trying to take shortcuts on a similar projects in future content/projects.

It's not a shortcut. You grind out extra tokens for the future because that's the system Cryptic implimented. Are you gonna call people who saved for their retirement as 'taking a shortcut' because they worked more earlier in their life and saved some of that money to spend in retirement?

Cryptic gets two, three or more extra grind time during event X. I don't see them complaining about that.
    "Oh no! Our 1000 players are inflating our stats by grinding for the equivalent of 2000 players! Someone stop them!" :o

Now yes, in future events, the amount of event grind time will be less, but over time, it's the same amount. Cryptic got more grind time at first and less later, but the sum is the same.

When they changed the summer/winter event tokens to summer 20xx and winter 20xx tokens why didn't they impliment that for the FTFO events in the first place? Were they stupid or did they figure they'd benefit from people doing extra grind and then just come along later and negate all that extra player work with a snap of their fingers and make everyone grind thing essentially over again and cheat people out of their time/work.

Why I suggested some sort of exchange for the tokens as if they had done the secondary event missions. Because as it stands now those 10 tokens I spent real $ on are about to get deleted and I will gain nothing for them. Cryptic might have well just reached into my wallet and taken $8 from it.

Of course no one was PRE buying these things to stockpile.

I would wager most people that bought a pack with 10 voth tokens used 10 voth tokens to complete their mission. Same for the first contact stuff.. No one bought them to stockpile them.

So worse case people have a couple of either in their inventories.

Its not like Crytpic is deleting lobi or something. If someone has 10+ of the voth tokens they didn't come from the zen store. I doubt many people that paid to finish their project and had a couple left over voth tokens cares much.

Nonsense. How do you know what all other people do?

I for example also buy ZEN in advance and Key's etc. Preferably when they have some kind of price reduction. Even if I do not need something at that time, and even without knowing in advance if Cryptic will release something in the future I will use ZEN or Keys for. I would also be angry if I they would change something that would make ZEN or Keys useless, without compensating me for that loss.

Same goes for event tokens etc. If some one writes he or she buy's those, who am I to doubt that? And who are you to doubt that?

Slot your 14 day projects... slot your per day projects after and you will never have a stockpile to worry about. Otherwise your just holding things to skip things later. Why should they reward that.

Maybe you talk different when some one deletes all your items not currently in use. Delete stockpiled weapons and ship items you are not using directly on a ship. Delete materials you not immediately use in R&D. Delete stockpiled credits you do not immediately use. Delete salvage points not used immediately. Etc etc.

Stockpiling is a part of this game.

People grind, to have items, materials etc to use at a later moment. So it is only logical that some people also stockpile tokens.
    Simply deleting items without compensation should not be done.
This discussion has been closed.