test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online Gateway

blake#3411 blake Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Why was star trek online gateway cancelled?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also it was several kinds of broken. It never got updated properly. It didn't know what specialization powers were, and it would display EVERY skill a boff knew, not just the ones in use. Probably several other things.

I think the last time it worked right was before Delta Rising.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Pretty sure I read that the devs also just didn't care about it.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read that the devs also just didn't care about it.

People logging in to play the actual game and then buying things is what pays the bills, apparently not using an app that can't sell them anything.

It makes more sense to put the developer resources into new content for the real game.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It was a nice idea, but sadly it was poorly implemented and insufficiently maintained.

By the time it shut down, no one was even using it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Neverwinter version was being exploited, so both got shut down.
    Exploited for what purpose?

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Neverwinter version was being exploited, so both got shut down.
    Exploited for what purpose?

IIRC from what I've heard second hand, it had something to do with in game resource generation or allowing players to access things from other players they shouldn't have access to.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    It was a nice idea, but sadly it was poorly implemented and insufficiently maintained.

By the time it shut down, no one was even using it.

Yea it could only be used to view your builds and the builds of others and manage fleet projects.

The latter I used at times to load and fill projects from work which was funny as my co-leader in game did not understand how projects suddenly appeared and filled on their own. She literally doubt her sanity. :D

Too bad they never got around to implement the reputation, doff and the later admiralty and crafting systems. I understand they want peeps to log into game for their metrics and the danger of exploitation increases.

I would not have minded if they would have heavily monetized a respective App and limited its usage to lifetime accounts to reduce the risk of exploitation. I would pay a small fortune for it as it would let me optimize my daily time quite a bit.

Hell, I could easily get the annoying toonpoo stuff out of the way while I wait for bus or travel by train and just log into this game to have some fun.

Oh well. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    I would not have minded if they would have heavily monetized a respective App and limited its usage to lifetime accounts to reduce the risk of exploitation. I would pay a small fortune for it as it would let me optimize my daily time quite a bit.

It would have definitely been a strong selling point for Lifetime subscriptions. If an LTS allowed me to do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone, I would have seriously considered it.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019

It would have definitely been a strong selling point for Lifetime subscriptions. If an LTS allowed me to do DoFF'ing and Admiralty from my phone, I would have seriously considered it.

Yep I can believe that. We have so many grownups in game with busy RL schedules that such a feature would be #1 selling argument for a lifetime sub.

I’m not an expert in botting and stuff but if cryptic considered to stop the gateway and not develop it further with the intention to sell it well their fear of such stuff must have been rather great. :(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The way I understood it the NW version was known to have more bots than humans using it :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yeah, perhaps an android companion app would have been the solution, i'll love to develop that...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    An Android version of the Gateway, assuming access to the DOFF, Admiralty, Crafting and Exchange would be an awesome perk for Lifetimers. Heck I would prefer that over some of the other "perks" I have been seeing popping up as ideas, (keys, etc) as it would be such a time saver and allow me to review who needs to do what.

Additionally the previous version was VERY useful for those of us who write FanFiction regarding our ship's and their crews. I would regularly access via foundry to look up a bit tucked into a biography rather then load the whole game.
    edited May 2019
    elvnswords wrote: »
    An Android version of the Gateway, assuming access to the DOFF, Admiralty, Crafting and Exchange would be an awesome perk for Lifetimers. Heck I would prefer that over some of the other "perks" I have been seeing popping up as ideas, (keys, etc) as it would be such a time saver and allow me to review who needs to do what.

I agree it would be a nice perk for LTS. It would also require paying for another developer and doing a massive amount of QA given how fragmented the phone market is with many OS versions and vendor customizations, many screen sizes with different aspect ratios and pixels-per-inch, a wide range of CPUs and RAM.
    Additionally the previous version was VERY useful for those of us who write FanFiction regarding our ship's and their crews. I would regularly access via foundry to look up a bit tucked into a biography rather then load the whole game.

I have some bad news for you....
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator

I agree it would be a nice perk for LTS. It would also require paying for another developer and doing a massive amount of QA given how fragmented the phone market is with many OS versions and vendor customizations, many screen sizes with different aspect ratios and pixels-per-inch, a wide range of CPUs and RAM.

What about those who have an iOS using phone?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2019
    rattler2 wrote: »

That would be cheaper to do since then there are only a few phone and pad models and 3-4 OS versions to deal with.

Neither of them is likely to pay for itself from increased LTS sales. A new race or ship requires very little ongoing maintenance, while the apps would need frequent updates to deal with changes to the game and changes to iOS/Android (new versions, new devices).

A browser-based app would cost less than native ones (a single version, uses "responsive" browser code that adjusts to devices, no app stores to deal with). It would still require constant updates for game changes and to plug security holes against farmers trying to exploit it with bots.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Trade it in for a better phone?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    Trade it in for a better phone?​​

Works just fine for what I use it for. So... why?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Trade it in for a better phone?

So you can download an Android exclusive STO Gateway app obviously.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

full.jpeg
    Eh... can't argue with how I got my phone though. And it actually runs Fate Grand Order better than my friend's android.

Yeah, we're going to switch phones for a hypothetical app that will probably never exist.

Andriod.. IOS.. I have used them both and people that think they're just SO different are naive. If, and it's a big fat IF there was ever a Gateway App, it would be just like 98% of all apps in the world and would run on Android or IOS.

It would probably just run through a browser anyway which would effectively render the device OS irrelevant.

Yeah, we're going to switch phones for a hypothetical app that will probably never exist.

Andriod.. IOS.. I have used them both and people that think they're just SO different are naive. If, and it's a big fat IF there was ever a Gateway App, it would be just like 98% of all apps in the world and would run on Android or IOS.

It would probably just run through a browser anyway which would effectively render the device OS irrelevant.

Do I have to flash the 'humour' card again?

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It was developed for windows phone 😂
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

Do I have to flash the 'humour' card again?

Considering that forum users have no way to discern tone of voice from posts.. yeah, I think it would help. :wink:
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    A remastering of the app for all your reputation/admiralty/doffing needs on the go for being a lifer does sound like a wonderful idea but lets be honest, cryptic is super iffy on making good decisions they kind of just do whatever
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Excellent, finally an App I would actually use on my phone!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Excellent, finally an App I would actually use on my phone!
    wait what?! I thought I was the only person on the planet who still used a Windows phone.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Nope, I have a Windows phone too
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.