test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gravity wells in Operation Riposte are a disaster

13»

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Another thing I do, probably the only one to do so, is shift power to engines to make the dragging of the transports faster.

Combined with evasive manoeuvrers which isn't affected by the tractor slowdown I can easily get two dropped off by the time other have done just one.
  • cannibalchickencannibalchicken Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    What? GW3 can deal 10k+ per tick on EPG builds and puts all the other targets that spawn in with the transports in one place for more AoE, and all that must be done for it to not cause issues is tractor quickly and heal/cleanse the transport afterward. It's perfectly effective.

Yes, we know it can do damage. That's essentially the point the OP was making. I also did not say anyone should adjust their way of playing. If they don't want to, fine by me. All I pointed out was that sometimes people could attempt to adapt - not must adapt.
    Did I misunderstand what you meant by this, then?
    I wonder if they really don't notice they are doing no damage at all when they use it?
    OP was talking about enemy breaches causing damage as well (rather than GW itself), and I was saying us adapting to irresponsible GWing would yield better results than trying to get them to play differently.

I believe he was referring to the Tzinkethi who gain defense when clustered. If you GW them you start doing practically no damage.
    Ahh, gotcha. Haven't done those TFOs in ages, totally forgot about that mechanic. I seem to remember the support cruisers spawning pretty close to the large ships anyway, though.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Another thing I do, probably the only one to do so, is shift power to engines to make the dragging of the transports faster.

Combined with evasive manoeuvrers which isn't affected by the tractor slowdown I can easily get two dropped off by the time other have done just one.

You're certainly not the only one. Although I somethimes forget to switch back to my main setup ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I have EPtE slotted so I don't need to flip around settings.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thanks for the hint, I just had my engi make a EPtE III for my sci guy's engi BOFF.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    What? GW3 can deal 10k+ per tick on EPG builds and puts all the other targets that spawn in with the transports in one place for more AoE, and all that must be done for it to not cause issues is tractor quickly and heal/cleanse the transport afterward. It's perfectly effective.

Yes, we know it can do damage. That's essentially the point the OP was making. I also did not say anyone should adjust their way of playing. If they don't want to, fine by me. All I pointed out was that sometimes people could attempt to adapt - not must adapt.
    Did I misunderstand what you meant by this, then?
    I wonder if they really don't notice they are doing no damage at all when they use it?
    OP was talking about enemy breaches causing damage as well (rather than GW itself), and I was saying us adapting to irresponsible GWing would yield better results than trying to get them to play differently.

I believe he was referring to the Tzinkethi who gain defense when clustered. If you GW them you start doing practically no damage.
    Ahh, gotcha. Haven't done those TFOs in ages, totally forgot about that mechanic. I seem to remember the support cruisers spawning pretty close to the large ships anyway, though.

Kethi spawns are always 3 frigates, cruiser & frigate, single big dreadnaughty thing. In the case of the BZ usually cycled and from the same spots so very easy to pick a target.

They are however a better example of how a grav well doesn't help the players who can't spot targets or have simply trained themselves out of focus firing on specific targets due to situations where more than one cruiser get drawn into the well and get a cycle of immunity going.

I'd honestly not mind all that much if the spawns were more random to the point where multiple cruisers could appear.
    I'd honestly not mind all that much if the spawns were more random to the point where multiple cruisers could appear.

Generally I agree, more spawn variety would be welcome, also in missions, the "three frigate" one especially overstayed its welcome years ago. Gameplay wise though it'd be useful to not get spawns entirely randomly to avoid too little synergie for those enemies who have them. And since in real life often task forces are built similarily if used for similar tasks, it even kinda makes sense (except that the "similar task" here is: appear randomly and get blown up by the player).
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @felisean said:
    > there is actually another issue with those transporters too. if you shoot with cannons at them and there are still some shots at the "run" when you activate the tractor beam, your ownshots will destroy the transport ;)

I noticed that cannon volley does this.
    Which is the other reason I swapped power to engines for that phase.

Less damage being done isn't a big deal when its not the main goal as well as reducing the overall risk of me causing a ship to breach while some muppet tractors a transport right through the middle of the group.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I have EPtE slotted so I don't need to flip around settings.

If you save your current setting, to say the weapons setting in your power management. You can simply flip between power settings by click Weapon, Shield, Engine or Auxiliary setting there.
    Which is the other reason I swapped power to engines for that phase.

Less damage being done isn't a big deal when its not the main goal as well as reducing the overall risk of me causing a ship to breach while some muppet tractors a transport right through the middle of the group.

Depending on your base speed, EPtE is meh. You can do the same thing with Evasive and Attack Pattern: Omega. I keep Omega slotted, because it clears all movement debuffs while active. It's my ignore Grav Wells, Tyken's, Tractor Beams, etc skill.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    I did not mean I only have or use EPtE. I also use Evasive and APO. I mentioned EPtE only in response to flipping power settings.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    > @felisean said:
    > there is actually another issue with those transporters too. if you shoot with cannons at them and there are still some shots at the "run" when you activate the tractor beam, your ownshots will destroy the transport ;)

I noticed that cannon volley does this.

doesnt matter at the end. scatter volley, rapid fire, normal fire mode with cannons, all could do that if they do the propper amount of dmg. same for torpedos in all variations, including pet torps
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I did not mean I only have or use EPtE. I also use Evasive and APO. I mentioned EPtE only in response to flipping power settings.

I've noticed this on my carrier char. Watching my hangar pets fire at a spot of empty space where a ship use to be.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I use TR, not GW.

Although I haven't seen very many transports get blown away when I play.

I can see where GW would be detrimental in that part of the TFO.

Well in my experiences it usually is okay but I've had a run or two where I've seen multiple ones blow up. Typically when I tractor one I hit EM immediately just to attempt to avoid the transport getting caught in a breach.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User

I also use Evasive Maneuvers, but EPtE is a nice addition. I don't have APO, the ship I'm using doesn't have enough tac seating for that. Still, both of them gets me back to the starting point pretty quickly.

I like the big, slow whales *Chuckle* Still, his MM Temporal Science ship has some pretty nice turning help. Enough I can slot DBBs on the front.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Maquis Raider.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    Its not just Grav Wells, its Aoe skills (Aceton beam with weaponized Emitters) Tykens Rift, Pets with FAW, exploding Klingon near the Transport...... Those transporters have very low HP and its really annoying to play that part of the mission at some times
    FAW from players or pets shouldn't be hitting the transports once they flip sides because there's no travel time from ship to target the way there is for the cannon or torpedo volleys.

Pets like rommie drones (plasma torps) or mine layers will cause potential issues though no where near as much as player based stuff.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    FAW from players or pets shouldn't be hitting the transports once they flip sides because there's no travel time from ship to target the way there is for the cannon or torpedo volleys.

Pets like rommie drones (plasma torps) or mine layers will cause potential issues though no where near as much as player based stuff.

I did not pay that much attention but could it not just be the warpcore breaches oft he other ships that explode near the „now“ friendly transport that kills it so often? :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    Breaches more than likely are the main cause which is why welling the groups won't help.

Things that cause aoe or are simply not focussed on a single target will increase that chance of poofing much more.

It's a stage where controlled aggression is a better tactic than the standard mindless pewpew.
  • athena62056athena62056 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    if you want to pull all the ships together when going for the transports use the elite satelite. it tractors the ships in a group
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Breaches more than likely are the main cause which is why welling the groups won't help.

Things that cause aoe or are simply not focussed on a single target will increase that chance of poofing much more.

It's a stage where controlled aggression is a better tactic than the standard mindless pewpew.
    Indeed while the transports are on a timer, there's a difference between "fast but controlled" and "FIRE EVERYTHING!", if you focus on the transport you can pull them out of range of the core breaches or at least far enough that they'll survive then heal them up while you tractor it back to the fleet.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Only if you believe that forcing starfleet culture on the klingons is appropriate. If you want to be culturally sensitive, you should be just blowing them away in glorious combat. Or, you know, if you want the map done faster.
    "Cultural sensitivity", lol... I might care about their culture when they stop trying to kill me.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Nah. That would be synonymous with "it's a stage where 90% of the playerbase fail miserably" but it ain't that bad. Though I do admit that I switched my standard powers a bit.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019

spiritborn wrote: »

Indeed while the transports are on a timer, there's a difference between "fast but controlled" and "FIRE EVERYTHING!", if you focus on the transport you can pull them out of range of the core breaches or at least far enough that they'll survive then heal them up while you tractor it back to the fleet.

Only if you believe that forcing starfleet culture on the klingons is appropriate. If you want to be culturally sensitive, you should be just blowing them away in glorious combat. Or, you know, if you want the map done faster.

Yea it’s really a mixed bag. Much like Gauntlet it's time to use some rapid fire instead of volley but that does not make for the same satisfactory game experience than simply cleaning a stage with the latter.

Perhaps on elite the critters won’t explode so easily and one gets a better time window. Until then I better let spiritborn do it who had a hand for this in past runs or practice in some precision work myself.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User

spiritborn wrote: »

Yea it’s really a mixed bag. Much like Gauntlet it's time to use some rapid fire instead of volley but that does not make for the same satisfactory game experience than simply cleaning a stage with the latter.

Perhaps on elite the critters won’t explode so easily and one gets a better time window. Until then I better let spiritborn do it who had a hand for this in past runs or practice in some precision work myself.

To be honest my Tactic isn't that complex, it's just something I've learned from WoW and FF14 that sometimes it's better to hold back, that and I target the transport as my main target so it tends to be first ship to go down. Though obviously there's nothing I can do about what my team is doing.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > postagepaid wrote: »
    >
    > Breaches more than likely are the main cause which is why welling the groups won't help.
    >
    > Things that cause aoe or are simply not focussed on a single target will increase that chance of poofing much more.
    >
    > It's a stage where controlled aggression is a better tactic than the standard mindless pewpew.
    >
    >
    >
    > Only if you believe that forcing starfleet culture on the klingons is appropriate. If you want to be culturally sensitive, you should be just blowing them away in glorious combat. Or, you know, if you want the map done faster.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Cultural sensitivity", lol... I might care about their culture when they stop trying to kill me.

The highest goal in Klingon culture is to die in combat......obliging them is just “Celebrating Diversity”. Not to mention how much more pleasant life is for everyone else once the Klingons are where they long to be (Stovakor).
    Not convinced that killing any but the final transport would speed up that phase, the spawn seems to be on a basic trickle timer tick.

It only blanks to zero once the final one goes away either by drop off or poofing out of existence so might as well be dropping off the first half dozen or so for a few extra marks.
This discussion has been closed.