test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Most recent episode of Death of a Game featured STO ...

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Don't care
    No one in my Guild launched STO through Steam - Hell most (myself included) don't use PWE's ARC system to launch ity either; so anyone using info from Steam or ARC still is missing a sizable chunk of the actual STO playerbase numbers.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Disagree with the video
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    He has some valid points about a few things but I got the distinct impression he’s not played the game for years and is basing his assessment on what he’s read elsewhere or what he recalls from the initial release.
    I mean the game has issues, but it is vastly different from that thing that crawled onto our PC’s back in 2010!

Yeah I got the impression from the video that he probably played in the early days, quit some time between LoR and DR, and has been waiting patiently for it to go under ever since so that he could make this video but finally got impatient and jumped the gun without doing enough additional research. That's just my guess though, he clearly did some research because he had clips of current ships in the game, but he also didn't mention any of the new systems that have been added over the years. Most of his videos have been we done and thoroughly researched so idk what was up with this one
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    3. Now that we know how many PC players there are, we can compare them to the Steam numbers to determine what percentage of PC players are Steam users.

Not possible. Steam Charts only shows how many people are playing a specific game at a specific point in time. So it might show 2,000 players playing on Steam at a specific time, but 20,000 players might have played on Steam for that day. We can only know how many PC users there are not how many PC players are Steam users.

Steam Charts is only good for showing trends such as what times are the most active or how successful an event is.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    starkaos wrote: »
    3. Now that we know how many PC players there are, we can compare them to the Steam numbers to determine what percentage of PC players are Steam users.

Not possible. Steam Charts only shows how many people are playing a specific game at a specific point in time. So it might show 2,000 players playing on Steam at a specific time, but 20,000 players might have played on Steam for that day. We can only know how many PC users there are not how many PC players are Steam users.

Steam Charts is only good for showing trends such as what times are the most active or how successful an event is.

All true. But we can do some reasonable estimates with the numbers available. Here is how...

1) according to this poll posted yesterday on reddit approximately 40% of people play on Steam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/axzjfk/do_you_play_through_arc_old_launcher_or_steam/

2) according to steamcharts, there was was a max of 2,830 concurrent players in the last 30 days.

https://steamcharts.com/app/9900

3) Combing the information from #1 and #2 above, 2,8030 is 40% of 7,075.

But wait. We're only talking about concurrent players. Even if we say 7,075 concurrent players were on, as you said that is only at the same time. That doesn't tell us how many people played in total. That brings us to number 4...

4) if we say that the average person's play session is 1 hour (just as an example) and the average person is only able to play 1 time each day (again, just an example) that would mean 24 x 7,075 = 169,800.

5) based on the above, we could guesstimate that somewhere in the ballpark of 170,000 people may have played STO in one 24 hour period.

Obviously these are not concrete figures, but they are reasonable estimates using the figures and percentages available.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    and therefore any such numbers cannot be even slightly accurate.

Correction: it is not that the numbers "cannot be even slightly accurate", it is that we don't know how accurate they are. Those 2 statements are not the same thing. That reddit poll may in fact accurately represent the percentage of people that play on steam, or may not. We just don't know. But not knowing is not the same thing as saying it "can't" be right.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,519 Arc User
    Don't care

Correction: it is not that the numbers "cannot be even slightly accurate", it is that we don't know how accurate they are. Those 2 statements are not the same thing. That reddit poll may in fact accurately represent the percentage of people that play on steam, or may not. We just don't know. But not knowing is not the same thing as saying it "can't" be right.

Technically correction, the best kind of correction :)

Since the input is unreliable (a self-selected sample in a web poll) the results are more likely to be garbage than not.

The numbers might be right. But so might the numbers from rolling dice.
  • Options

Since the input is unreliable (a self-selected sample in a web poll) the results are more likely to be garbage than not.

Just to make sure we are on the same page here, I understand and agree that generally speaking the forums/reddit may not accurately represent the desires of the overall playerbase.

For example, people tend to be more vocal on issues when they are upset. So hypothetically speaking, just because 90% of people on the forums might be complaining about something doesn't mean 90% of the playerbase is upset. It just means the ones that were upset decided to come to the forums and complain about it. And all the ones who aren't upset are happily in game playing. So yeah, I get all that.

Now, having said that, there are some issues that have nothing to do with "more vocal when upset". Regarding the specific poll in question, I have no reason to believe the people on the forums/reddit would be vastly different than the people who don't post on the forums/reddit when it comes to whether they use Arc, the launcher, or steam, because that issue has nothing to do with whether anyone is happy or mad; it's just a technical question.

So on this specific issue, I have no reason to believe the 500+ people who voted in that reddit poll are "exceptions to the rule".

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Don't care
    He missed out the fact you could get free T6 ships three times a year, so his research is not good regarding that.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      He missed out the fact you could get free T6 ships three times a year, so his research is not good regarding that.

Yeah, 90% of that video sounded like stuff/issues from YEARS ago. It's worth a watch for those that don't know the early history of the game, but once he gets past the actual history/facts it's not a very informed opinion (in MY opinion).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      Don't care

Yeah, 90% of that video sounded like stuff/issues from YEARS ago. It's worth a watch for those that don't know the early history of the game, but once he gets past the actual history/facts it's not a very informed opinion (in MY opinion).

It's vastly improved since season 7 when I started
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
        Don't care
        I'll admit, I haven't seen the video yet (it's 2 a.m. here, I might watch it later).

There are some YouTube-users with great analyses (I saw one on Les Moonves and his firing and what it might mean for Trek a while ago) but in the end, an analysis is just that. A personal view which may be more or less based on facts.

His video isn't more valuable than any comment here, in fact, comments made on this forum may be even more valuable because one can be pretty sure that forum users actually still play the game.

Instead of focussing on such an approximation of facts however, let's look at the most basic fact instead: the game is still alive (hence why people are even able to play it - duh). Judging by the amount of more recent game handles (with the random numbers), the ongoing release of new content including voice acting, it is also doing well.

No amount of followers on YouTube, reputation over there or proclaimed expertise in judging games, is going to change that.
        Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
      • Options
        mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
        edited March 2019
        Don't care
        I will also add that while I *don't* agree the game is dying (see my last post), calling someone a "random youtuber" does not invalidate their point. Youtube is one of the biggest website on the internet, and the person who made this video is a known commentator with a following. We may not like/agree with some of the things he said, but calling him a "random youtuber" isn't a counter-argument. Again, see my last post for why *I* dont' believe the game is dying.

I expected better from you. strawman arguements never solves anything.
        Point 1: people don't actually post about things they dont care about. If someone clicks reply, they care to some degree. But you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Point 2: uninformed opinions are basically worthless. The guy who made this video sounds like he doesnt actually play, which would make his uninformed opinion worthless. At the same time we also have some people in this thread discussing the merrits of a video they havent watched, which makes their opinions equally uninformed.

this has to be the lowest flamebait i've seen in some time, but you know that after writing such nonsense. Plenty assumptions with no facts in hand pretending to be reasonable while at the same time coming off as insulting. You call others out for uninformed comments when you are making uninformed comments yourself.
        starkaos wrote: »

All true. But we can do some reasonable estimates with the numbers available. Here is how...

1) according to this poll posted yesterday on reddit approximately 40% of people play on Steam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/axzjfk/do_you_play_through_arc_old_launcher_or_steam/

2) according to steamcharts, there was was a max of 2,830 concurrent players in the last 30 days.

https://steamcharts.com/app/9900

3) Combing the information from #1 and #2 above, 2,8030 is 40% of 7,075.

But wait. We're only talking about concurrent players. Even if we say 7,075 concurrent players were on, as you said that is only at the same time. That doesn't tell us how many people played in total. That brings us to number 4...

4) if we say that the average person's play session is 1 hour (just as an example) and the average person is only able to play 1 time each day (again, just an example) that would mean 24 x 7,075 = 169,800.

5) based on the above, we could guesstimate that somewhere in the ballpark of 170,000 people may have played STO in one 24 hour period.

Obviously these are not concrete figures, but they are reasonable estimates using the figures and percentages available.

Speculation and nothing more.

Just to make sure we are on the same page here, I understand and agree that generally speaking the forums/reddit may not accurately represent the desires of the overall playerbase.

For example, people tend to be more vocal on issues when they are upset. So hypothetically speaking, just because 90% of people on the forums might be complaining about something doesn't mean 90% of the playerbase is upset. It just means the ones that were upset decided to come to the forums and complain about it. And all the ones who aren't upset are happily in game playing. So yeah, I get all that.

Now, having said that, there are some issues that have nothing to do with "more vocal when upset". Regarding the specific poll in question, I have no reason to believe the people on the forums/reddit would be vastly different than the people who don't post on the forums/reddit when it comes to whether they use Arc, the launcher, or steam, because that issue has nothing to do with whether anyone is happy or mad; it's just a technical question.

So on this specific issue, I have no reason to believe the 500+ people who voted in that reddit poll are "exceptions to the rule".

Like saying 500 people are the majority instead of the minority. You've going to have to explain that one. Also out of how many voted are fake accounts looking to pump up a score? So all you got is conjecture and are trying to make a point out of it. Debating about nothing is still nothing.

I completely disagree because i just don't care what this person is posting, tosh or not (of course you made the assumption for me by speaking on my behalf saying i didn't see it and come across as uniformed, so i will let you wonder), it is only just one opinion which isn't any more or less important than yours, mine, theraven or anyone elses and i will not put it on a pedestal so far out of reach thinking its a holy grail in terms of comments simply because someone put it out on youtube.
        T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
        Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
      • Options
        duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,869 Arc User
        edited March 2019
        Disagree with the video

You also have no way of validating that they are representative. It's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Ie. pseudoscience.
        Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
        Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
        Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
      • Options
        mybm#5203 mybm Member Posts: 35 Arc User
        Disagree with the video
        why dont we fight back i started maybe 3 months ago this game is far from dead that guy is loser go to nerdSlayer channel and tell him he a little bish every time i go to a station to pick up or finish a quest thers so many ships of online players flooding the area nah to the people who complain because they cant figure out how to read and get ahead of this game fck that TRIBBLE
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        lamo the curse word was replaced with TRIBBLE LOL
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        oh and tell him his wiki buy comerchial sale out was lamer then his limp u know what
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        i went on youtube and rip him a new one if you play this game you should to rip him a new one regardless of your sto differences i see you every day online even tho you moan and whine about something yet your still here go to his you tube and rip him a new one i dont think the forum devs will edit this cause i like to think they still play the game
      • Options
        lots of angry ranting

Calm down buddy. There are a lot of important things in life that are worth getting upset about, but a video game isn't one of them. We want you to be around to enjoy the game with the rest of us, so don't let yourself get so worked up. It's not good for you.

You also have no way of validating that they are representative.

That's true. But do you have any logical reason to think those 500 people would be exceptions to the norm on this specific issue?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        are you kidding me go there watch the video and get hit with a commercial that support that guys lame ghetto you tube if your here you should support sto regardless of pity differences im only like maybe 3 months in its a good game its fun and the devs make it not boring every week there has been something new except this week for some reason also compare his subscribers count to others like overwatch even if its a mmo vs first person shooter he obviously only played a week and put this out
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        ps if you have a google acount e-mail like most of us do you can rip him a new one
      • Options
        mybm#5203 wrote: »
        ps if you have a google acount e-mail like most of us do you can rip him a new one

You would be wise to be careful what you say. People are getting into a lot of trouble in this "day and age" for comments that can be perceived threatening online.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        why im in support of star trek online this guy obviously sucks how you going to hate on an sto supporter ?ps that youtuber sucks with is 2k followers
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        ps why are you even here do you even like the game? and all the hard work the devs the players feed back and the forum admins do for us you sound like a sto hater
      • Options
        Disagree with the video
        im just saying im new to this game it rocks honestly only thing id change is more advertisement on Facebook etc i didnt know how awesome it was until i click on a face book link and said wtf try it only thing id change is the one week zone chat for help that was annoying if your a new player you know what im talking about after that lifted sto people were the most insightful most friendliness caring sharing hook you up mmo players i ever come across
      • Options
        edited March 2019
        Disagree with the video
        and for that youtuber guy he obviously didn't give this game a chance he went with almost doa either a game exists or doesn't like lets say law breakers google that they died because they didn't listen about a game dxdiag.exe issue where players had posted that there driver was misleading some kinda English barrier the game could of over taken over watch from blizzard entertainment but they sucked didn't listen and i dont see law breakers no more
      • Options
        baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
        @mybm , you seriously need to calm down. Despite the fact that you are "supporting" STO, what you are doing to advocating and promoting uncivil discourse. That's not tolerated here. Be like Elsa. Let it go.

As for everyone else, it's unnecessary to attack one another over some, "random YouTuber" I believe he was called?, and his ill informed opinion of our beloved game. Carry on.

Huqv2Ci.png
        GrWzQke.png
        Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
        Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
        Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
        ----> Contact Customer Support <----
        Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
        Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
        Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
        Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
      • Options
        ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
        Don't care
        Elsa certainly does not let it go. :)

https://youtu.be/Xpvtvs2Vq04
        'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
        Judge Dan Haywood
        'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
        l don't know.
        l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
        That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
        Lt. Philip J. Minns
      This discussion has been closed.