test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Keyborad Control Issue

Not sure if this is the right place to post this issue, forgive me if it is not. I noticed since the last patch a keyboard issue develop. I am not sure if this is something others are experiencing or if it is just me for some odd reason.

When I use the AWSD keys to move they work fine individually and in space. The ground is a different matter. I can hold the W key to move forward and at the same time press the A key to turn left while still moving forward. But I cannot hold the W key and press the D key to turn right. I have to release the W key and then press the D key to turn the character to the right. Interestingly, if I press the R key to auto move, I can use the A and D keys to turn left or right. This is very odd thing to be happening. It does not seem to be an issue with my keyboard.

Perhaps some of you might have an idea.
Fleet Admiral Zach Caldwell
Commanding Officer, Strategic Starfleet Operations

Comments

• joeykoricjoeykoric Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    As the title states this is not a bug report. The issue has already been placed in the support thread but there has been no response in several hours. So I thought I would see if anyone else has the same problem or suggest something I might of overlooked. I noticed since the last patch a keyboard issue develop. I am not sure if this is something others are experiencing or if it is just me for some odd reason.

When I use the AWSD keys to move they work fine individually and in space. The ground is a different matter. I can hold the W key to move forward and at the same time press the A key to turn left while still moving forward. But I cannot hold the W key and press the D key to turn right. I have to release the W key and then press the D key to turn the character to the right. Interestingly, if I press the R key to auto move, I can use the A and D keys to turn left or right. This is very odd thing to be happening. It does not seem to be an issue with my keyboard.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    One thing I can tell you is that "several hours" on a Saturday for something that isn't a system issue is probably an unrealistic expectation. Since this isn't something that prevents people from playing, expect it to be addressed next Wednesday (the day after Christmas) at the earliest.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    joeykoric wrote: »
    As the title states this is not a bug report. The issue has already been placed in the support thread but there has been no response in several hours. So I thought I would see if anyone else has the same problem or suggest something I might of overlooked. I noticed since the last patch a keyboard issue develop. I am not sure if this is something others are experiencing or if it is just me for some odd reason.

I was going to suggest your keyboard might be weird and not accept certain key strokes in a combo.. Some keyboards are known to do this, but if it works in space... Should work on ground.

I don't have this issue..

Go to the options menu and go to "Controls" and "keybinds" and reset both to default, make sure "ground" is selected, apply and click OK. Does that solve it?

Sometimes my game controls or camera turns fishy, and setting the settings back to default fixes it. Even though I never changed anything in them.
    jonsills wrote: »
    One thing I can tell you is that "several hours" on a Saturday for something that isn't a system issue is probably an unrealistic expectation. Since this isn't something that prevents people from playing, expect it to be addressed next Wednesday (the day after Christmas) at the earliest.

I do not need your sarcasm. I was not expecting any reply from a dev about the issue in the time frame. But I would have expected comments from members who might have insight into what the issue is that I might not have considered or thought of. I considered that the majority of members might not check the support forum unless they have an issue of their own. Since I wanted, member feedback, I posted it here. Therefore, I thank you to not make any further assumptions on my expectations. I am ME and you are you. Mind your own expectations and leave others to their own.
    The issue has been resolved. I cannot explain why, but something happened with the old keyboard that simply made it impossible to press key combos like W and D. I changed out keyboards and everything is working as it should now. I have had keyboard problems in the past, but that was a first. Since no one here said they had a similar problem I kept looking on my end till I resolved it.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    joeykoric wrote: »
    The issue has been resolved. I cannot explain why, but something happened with the old keyboard that simply made it impossible to press key combos like W and D. I changed out keyboards and everything is working as it should now. I have had keyboard problems in the past, but that was a first. Since no one here said they had a similar problem I kept looking on my end till I resolved it.
    Keyboards can have some wierd issues. I couldn't even try to guess what was causing it without seeing the keyboard is question and even then I'm no expert.

With issues like this it's generally better to check your hardware first as more often then not that's the true cause, I'm not saying it cannot be Cryptic's fault, just that it typically won't be. Personally when trying to diagnose the typing issue with foundry (due to a bug you can't type unless you "alt-tab" first in the foundry) I tried switching my keyboard, hell I even re-installed STO to see if that was the cause.