What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Too bad Cardassians could not be a playable faction

2»

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    The OP needs to move on like I did. I realized a while ago that Cryptic didn't have the vision or dedication required to do Cardassians in a way that would be epic and in way that would do them justice. I appreciate what they did with Garak in ViL. While Garak ultimately represents only a small sampling of what awesomeness Cardassians can bring to the table it was nice to at least get that small sampling.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @salazarraze said:
    > The OP needs to move on like I did. I realized a while ago that Cryptic didn't have the vision or dedication required to do Cardassians in a way that would be epic and in way that would do them justice. I appreciate what they did with Garak in ViL. While Garak ultimately represents only a small sampling of what awesomeness Cardassians can bring to the table it was nice to at least get that small sampling.

Actualy Garak represents 99.99 percent of whats cool about Cardassians, with minor contributions from Ziyal, and a few others, NOT Dukat.

I actually kind of liked Dukat's character - He was so totally caught up in the "mindset" of Cardassian supremacy, that he couldn't see what waswrong with either himself or his "culture". I think the episode where he kills his daughter was the first time he took a real look at himself. It was a very powerful episode IMHO and a surprisingly deep character if you look closely, and well played by the actor.
    They could also have expanded on the story surrounding Quark's Cardassian love interest (can't remember her name?) And the Cardassian resistance/revolutionary movement.

Although I do like Garak's character, I was never really happy with the ambiguity surrounding him, I think they went a little too heavy on the " oooohhh mysterious" stuff, it would have been nice to get some closure there (kinda like Shepard Book from Firefly)

Probably too late now though, unless they do yet another overhaul of the Bajor/Cardassian arc missions, which I seriously doubt will ever happen.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I actually like the Cardassian faction right now with really no complaint. If there was something I would suggest though is to create a socail zone of sorts in Cardassia much along the same vein as New Romulas. At least the faction would have some sort of "home". More like a wish than a suggestion to be sure but it can't hurt to get it out there.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    kurzis wrote: »
    Are there even 200k players?

200K players is a fraction of the total player base, it has to be. 200K players, with only a percentage of them spending any real money, and only a small percentage of that group actually spending lots of money wouldn't come close to paying for a single voice over much less actually keeping the lights on and the servers running.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    rthen wrote: »
    Sorry I want what I want :-(

Nothing wrong with that at all, that statement fits us all...of course wanting and actually getting are most definitely not the same thing.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    spielman1 wrote: »
    I would have loved to play as a legit Cardassian too, OP. It's over though. Best to move on as what's done is done.

True doesn't mean we cant talk about what could have been and what may have been good never know a developer could read this and go yeah we did mess up lets put more effort and fix this and see what happens. You never know it could happen.

And William Shatner could tell Cryptic that he wants to do some VO work for free
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    You know, given the fact that we have 1. Cardassian player characters and 2. a TRIBBLE ton of Cardassian stuff in the Foundry (was one of the major asset types included)...folks could just make their own Cardassian storyline once the Foundry comes back online. We literally have the means to pull this one off ourselves, minus VO and cutscenes and Garak but everything else included (which is the nice thing about having that kind of UGC, we don't have to worry about considerations of dev priorities and shifting story arcs once we have the toolset in our hands. Want to expand on something? Go for it!)

Plus there's a few VIL challenge missions that have already set the stage for Cardassian player content. If folks want a series you might approach some of those authors about it.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    At least we have playable Cardashians now in the game for Klinguns and Federation. That's more than I actually thought would be happening.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Discussion of moderation removed. -- StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rthenrthen Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    You know what.. I am fine with Cardassians not having a playable faction after all. I read the replies on this thread. There's a lot to do in the game. Personally just more content is good enough. Once I am done with max leveling my 3rd character I will likely go back and level up my Klingon faction one.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    One of the biggest detractors of the Foundry for a significant number of people who do not play or use it is the notion that it gives Cryptic the license to be lazy. And they are both right and wrong. But I will focus on why they are right. With foundry authors, who are fellow players, developing faction-specific storylines, Cryptic doesn't see a need to do so. And a lot of people feel that foundry authors are in effect doing Cryptic's job for them. To them, it CANNOT be viewed as real content unless Cryptic themselves develop it. That attitude won't change no matter how user friendly the Foundry becomes, or how awesome a Foundry author is at content creation.
    The reality is that no matter how many mission Cryptic makes, there are enough Foundry authors to make as many missions as Cryptic has made over the course of the game's history, pretty much monthly. It's not really laziness, it's that it's physically impossible for 12 people to make as much stuff as 100.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.