test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PC Patch Notes for 10/24/18

Comments

• Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    why is it, that the maintenance was gonna be finished by 1030 and now its 12. hrm, arc never gets the schedule correct, its always + 2 to 5 hours longer than its stated, hrm, wonder if the IT scheduler doesnt know how long things take.
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    Launcher has been updated, looks like 12:00 pacific time before the server is back up, which is about an hour from now.

No real surprise it's taken so long, with the Arc network being down for maintenance, then STO's server techs would have to wait until Arc was finished before doing final testing on their servers.
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    Maintenance should be done on a secondary system while the first server still does just that: SERVING.
    Once the secondary runs smoothly, swap server, and update the prime.
    Swap back in the next maint.

How hard is that...
    They actually do something like that, you can even get access to their final test server in fact. The problem is that the servers are not exactly in synch because of the other changes they are testing so when it goes live it does not always behave the same way. Even if they gave each individual change its own copy of the server that would not help since software interactions would still not be exactly the same. You would be surprised how much a major software system like a game is a constant balancing act on an ever moving highwire. Cryptic actually does rather well comparatively.
    If they actually did that, my friend, then there would be virtually no downtime, as one server is running still while the secondary server was being updated, tested, then launched.

Seems that is not the case, is it.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    tomilak wrote: »
    why is it, that the maintenance was gonna be finished by 1030 and now its 12. hrm, arc never gets the schedule correct, its always + 2 to 5 hours longer than its stated, hrm, wonder if the IT scheduler doesnt know how long things take.

It is probably complicated by the fact that ARC is also doing updates and maintenance at the same time. Doing that inhouse is bad enough without having to coordinate with other divisions or projects. I would rather they get it right than rush and possibly cause a major problem with the game databases or something.
  • Options
    constellusconstellus Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    hello all, just 1 question, will it be another maintenance tomorrow, if it so why not do it all in the same day ?

The Arena of Sompek returns to PC this weekend, and you can earn a shield that protects you as you revive your allies!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11010733

• Options
    constellus wrote: »
    hello all, just 1 question, will it be another maintenance tomorrow, if it so why not do it all the same day ?

The Arena of Sompek returns to PC this weekend, and you can earn a shield that protects you as you revive your allies!

I REALLY hope not...
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Can Mr Scott please reporting to main engineering, we have problem with getting the warp core reinitialized, we quoted 5.5 hrs, its now been over 7hrs and counting. Can you teach these Cadets how to install something within less time than stated and rescue StarFleets Engineering Corps reputation of being miracle workers.

Oh well Champions League games start in 50 mins time. Lets see if Liverpool turn up tonight against Red Star
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    Oh well Champions League games start in 50 mins time. Lets see if Liverpool turn up tonight against Red Star
    Do you like watching sucker then?

... soccer?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    hello all, just 1 question, will it be another maintenance tomorrow, if it so why not do it all in the same day ?

I avoid PvP whenever possible (I got totally burned out on it in other games) so that arena stuff is a non-issue for me.
  • Options
    cerberus#4827 cerberus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    its now over 7 hours since maintenance started and its still down can they actually tell the time?

i get it maintenance is important but at least get your damn times right and if its going to take significantly longer than estimated keep your customers informed you have a forum put the info there instead of the scummy facebook or twitter two "networks" i refuse to use

hell there is even reddit pages devoted to this game post info there.... its damn sight better than facebook
  • Options
    kedranikedrani Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Server is still down on my end.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    anodynes wrote: »
    bendalek wrote: »
    till no word on WTF we are supposed to do with the old sponsorship tokens

Trash them. They effectively gave you unlimited tokens for free, so there's your compensation.

You're soo missing the point. They gave everyone 'unlimited tokens for free,' except that those who invested in sponsor tokens for an alt, lost 100 Marks per rep on top of that. Not all that much, but still worth 3 days of daily rep 'feeds'.

Besides, the Dev in the podcast said they'd give us a trade-in Project. Let's pretend they'll keep their word.

I assume the point that I'm supposedly missing is that everyone should somehow get equal benefit from this change, which would make it unlike any other change to a system in this game ever. For the record, I had 4 of them for every rep, and I get sponsorship for my next 4 alts on every rep, and for every character thereafter. So I get slightly less benefit than somebody who had none. Big flipping deal. However, if a developer said that there would be a project to trade them in, then I guess you should keep waiting for it. I, on the other hand, made 12 open spots in my account bank by just getting rid of them.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    Do you like watching sucker then?

... soccer?

if you mean football then yes I do for the most part. Enjoyed watching Juventus outclass Man Utd last night shame it was only 1-0
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    miguelleedsmiguelleeds Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Is there an ETA for when the server is coming back up?
  • Options
    bellydancer42bellydancer42 Member Posts: 42 Arc User

I avoid PvP whenever possible (I got totally burned out on it in other games) so that arena stuff is a non-issue for me.

Arena of Sompek isn't PvP, it's strictly PvE.
  • Options
    nagyervinnagyervin Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    We do this way:
    - Keep 3 stacks, which are loosely in sync
    - One is live, the other is the secondary. Third is for smoke testing.
    - Push code on third stack
    - Update database schema on third stack (if there are new fields/tables) - we use migrations for this
    - Sync data on third stack - using a script, updated to cope with new schema
    - Smoke test on third stack (if there are issues, we'll find them here)
    - Push stable code/executable on secondary
    - Update database schema (if there are new fields/tables) - we use migrations for this
    - Sync database from primary (this is always the last step) - using a script, updated to cope with new schema
    - Swap primary and secondary stacks (no downtime)
    Your Plasma Torpedo - Heavy III deals 174321 (66343) Kinetic Damage(Critical) to I.R.W. Valdore. :o
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

Arena of Sompek is not PvP in the slightest.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    zrayus#5217 zrayus Member Posts: 1 New User
    still no word on it being back on?
  • Options
    scrappyjwgscrappyjwg Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    @"ambassadorkael#6946" the fb page says servers were up an hour ago yet sitting here in the UK still a big red dot and no update either. multiple people in the UK have commented the same. do you have any update for us as would like to know what going on
  • Options
    I had an update in Belgium?
    Weird...
    Likely that update was a bad one then...
  • Options
    nagyervin wrote: »
    We do this way:
    - Keep 3 stacks, which are loosely in sync
    - One is live, the other is the secondary. Third is for smoke testing.
    - Push code on third stack
    - Update database schema on third stack (if there are new fields/tables) - we use migrations for this
    - Sync data on third stack - using a script, updated to cope with new schema
    - Smoke test on third stack (if there are issues, we'll find them here)
    - Push stable code/executable on secondary
    - Update database schema (if there are new fields/tables) - we use migrations for this
    - Sync database from primary (this is always the last step) - using a script, updated to cope with new schema
    - Swap primary and secondary stacks (no downtime)
    If you use multiple stacks, then how come none is up?
    Once you update a stack, one leaves the other running.
    Once the other has been upgraded, tested, found ready, you launch it.
    Only then, the running one is taken down while the other takes over.

I've worked 17 years at Belgacom, I know a thing or to on how to run these things...
  • Options
    > @"cerberus#4827" said:
    > its now over 7 hours since maintenance started and its still down can they actually tell the time?
    >
    > i get it maintenance is important but at least get your damn times right and if its going to take significantly longer than estimated keep your customers informed you have a forum put the info there instead of the scummy facebook or twitter two "networks" i refuse to use
    >
    > hell there is even reddit pages devoted to this game post info there.... its damn sight better than facebook

@"cerberus#4827" they said on facebook servers were up an hour ago. clearly they aren't here in the UK
  • Options
    kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    I believe consoles are up but PC servers are still down
  • Options
    > @kiksken said:
    > I had an update in Belgium?
    > Weird...
    > Likely that update was a bad one then...

15 minutes to wait to see if they just got the time wrong here. this is just ridiculous though
  • Options
    cerberus#4827 cerberus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    scrappyjwg wrote: »
    > @cerberus#4827 said:
    > its now over 7 hours since maintenance started and its still down can they actually tell the time?
    >
    > i get it maintenance is important but at least get your damn times right and if its going to take significantly longer than estimated keep your customers informed you have a forum put the info there instead of the scummy facebook or twitter two "networks" i refuse to use
    >
    > hell there is even reddit pages devoted to this game post info there.... its damn sight better than facebook

@cerberus#4827 they said on facebook servers were up an hour ago. clearly they aren't here in the UK

thanks for the info!
    i refuse to use facebook(they have proved since its creation that they cannot and should not be trusted) so would not know about their announcement there....wonder why we in the UK cannot play?

• Options
    bellydancer42bellydancer42 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    According to the hearsay information someone relayed from some social media source, it's another 15 minutes maintenance for PC.
  • Options
    also to those moaning about the missions removed from the main story. you can still all o them just fine except for installation 18. i completed all the rest yesterday.

i prefer they removed them from the main storylines.
  • Options
    > @"cerberus#4827" said:

> thanks for the info!
    > i refuse to use facebook(they have proved since its creation that they cannot and should not be trusted) so would not know about their announcement there....wonder why we in the UK cannot play?

been sat here for over an hour trying to figure that out. sometimes they do get the times wrong

and fair play to you about fb maybe you right now they hired nick clegg lol.

in a perfect world they would get things right.

in a perfect world get it haha.... il see myself out
  • Options
    kibi#8855 kibi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    they're up now
  • Options
    48 minutes late and they are up lol
This discussion has been closed.