test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge: Victory is Life

Comments

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Can't wait to play everyone's missions.
    Happy so many people entered and glad to see positive attention for the Foundry.

Just want to echo this.

Good luck to everyone! There have been some really good entries so far. :)

(Amazing considering the state the Foundry is in now. A awful lot of hard work went into them no doubt!)
    As a heads up, we've been told there's going to be a republish with the launch of AoD on Oct. 9. If that comes with some downtime, we'll extend the deadline four days past whenever editing comes back online.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    Hi there.

I am really happy to take part (as a player) in a new foundry challenge (again).

But why do most of the missions don't give any rewards (Dillithium)? Don't get me wrong – I am playing the missions nevertheless, because this is a game and it's all about having fun – but I am just curious.

It's been a while since I participated in a foundry challenge (propably about 3 to 4 years) and as far as I remember there were some dil.-rewards.

Anyway. Keep up the great work dear Foundry authors and fans. I am glad that this (underrated) part of the game (at least) still exists.

;-)

Nahari

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Hi there.

I am really happy to take part (as a player) in a new foundry challenge (again).

But why do most of the missions don't give any rewards (Dillithium)? Don't get me wrong – I am playing the missions nevertheless, because this is a game and it's all about having fun – but I am just curious.

It's been a while since I participated in a foundry challenge (propably about 3 to 4 years) and as far as I remember there were some dil.-rewards.

Anyway. Keep up the great work dear Foundry authors and fans. I am glad that this (underrated) part of the game (at least) still exists.

;-)

Nahari
    there's a bug related to that atm that prevents a lot (if not most missions) from giving rewards.
  • stcaptainquirkystcaptainquirky Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Hi there.

;-)

Nahari

Actually, missions require a certain number of plays before qualifying for rewards. As of now, my own entry to this challenge is still stuck in the review tab so it certainly won't grant any rewards (in fact it can't even be found by anyone who hasn't subscribed to be a reviewer). Other entries made it out of the review tab over the course of the previous week but barely so and likely still don't have the required number of accumulated playthroughs either.

On top of that, as spiritborn already mentioned, there is a bug that affects a fair number of missions and prevents them from ever giving any rewards regardless of their number of accumulated playthroughs.

EDIT: Ok, in the meantime my entry also made it out of the review tab and is now open to the general public. Whether it will start to give rewards at some point is up to chance now ;)
    Post edited by stcaptainquirky on
    SaSOGlo.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Reminder for folks, the EULA does specify that we are not allowed to use actor likenesses. Read: we are not allowed to make custom NPC's for characters who look like the actors who played them.

For missions that may have drifted over this line, I would personally recommend (after the voting period) going back and changing relevant characters to original creations (which would have worked just as well for the missions in question.) There may be an extra thrill in depicting recognizable characters from the franchise but the Foundry is not the venue for this. Canon characters can certainly be referenced or creatively depicted without their likeness (Ex. voice-only log, EV suit, hat+mask combo, mutated into another species, or being a completely different person) but we can't go further than that while keeping to our license agreement.

No major worries, just a note for some folks.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    (in fact it can't even be found by anyone who hasn't subscribed to be a reviewer). Other entries made it out of the review tab over the course of the previous week but barely so and likely still don't have the required number of accumulated playthroughs either.

OH dear... I didn't even think about this aspect of it. I am on the"review" thing.
    Maybe I should jump ship over to the Fed side...for at least one play through.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited October 2018
    I like this one with the flowers. :) Well put together, your story XR-377
    Nice fights on ground and space in your mission...@Nog-Rom

I am not sure I am going to get done with all of these missions.

P.S. Some of the authors are making it very easy to skip missions...since I can not figure out where the mission door is.
    Post edited by where2r1 on

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    ...Some of the authors are making it very easy to skip missions...since I can not figure out where the mission door is.
    Yeah that's a common issue with new authors that they don't say where the door is or don't say it clearly enough. I've been personally guilty of that flaw too. When you're new to making foundry missions it's easy to forget that those who play your mission can't read your mind and what is clear to you isn't always clear to the players.
    edited October 2018
    OK.. I spent the morning looking through the missions I could not find yesterday (or never got started on) and just read through every bit of info, on every single pop up....just to find the "doors".

One mission I can not find: “Investigate the Fire caves” by Lone-star

I know, Bajor.

I am spending much time flying around Bajor in Sector space, flying around Bajor in System space...even flying straight at the darn planet....looking for a pop up button. I can not find it. Going to Hathor...I end up sitting on the transporter pad going...uh...where do I even start?

++++++++++++++++

So, at least now, I have a list with the mission names and starting points. I have 9 missions to go. LOL! I am not sure I am going to have time for all of them. It is definitely taking me too long to finish.

Oh well, I did spend one weekend messing around on Tribble so I could see what the Vanity shields looked like...so, it is my problem. LOL!

+++++++++++++++++

For the sake of uniformity, Cryptic needs to add a line to the form for creating a mission.....enter starting point and transfer it to the information page.

What I really like that far – well, judging by the missions I've played until today – is the fact, that the authors kept the 30 to 45 Minutes of playtime.
    It's really „tough“ to play long Foundry missions in my spare freetime after work so I am really happy to have my little good-night-adventure these days ;-)

Good work so far.

Quick question: is there any Foundry downtime supposed to be because of the Discovery-Update coming tommorrow?
    Well, if the darn program would load the missions so that it would work every time...that would be great!!!
    I had a 2 hour marathon because the program froze while doing "Flowers of War" and a 4 hour marathon trying to finish "Guidance" last night....totally screwed up my timeline for finishing missions in my list. LOL!

What I really like that far – well, judging by the missions I've played until today – is the fact, that the authors kept the 30 to 45 Minutes of playtime.
    It's really „tough“ to play long Foundry missions in my spare freetime after work so I am really happy to have my little good-night-adventure these days ;-)

Good work so far.

Quick question: is there any Foundry downtime supposed to be because of the Discovery-Update coming tommorrow?

There's a republish at the very least based on what was said in the last Foundryround table however we can't say if there's gonna be any downtime this time, it's possible if not even probable though.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    OK.. I spent the morning looking through the missions I could not find yesterday (or never got started on) and just read through every bit of info, on every single pop up....just to find the "doors".

One mission I can not find: “Investigate the Fire caves” by Lone-star

I know, Bajor.

I am spending much time flying around Bajor in Sector space, flying around Bajor in System space...even flying straight at the darn planet....looking for a pop up button. I can not find it. Going to Hathor...I end up sitting on the transporter pad going...uh...where do I even start?

Actually it starts at ESD. I know. I know.... apparently the author thought this would be an easier access point. You have to look very carefully at the mission info/description to see the starting location.

For the sake of uniformity, Cryptic needs to add a line to the form for creating a mission.....enter starting point and transfer it to the information page.

This is an excellent idea! Have it auto-populate so regardless of what the text/story says, it will always be shown correctly to players.

This is an excellent idea! Have it auto-populate so regardless of what the text/story says, it will always be shown correctly to players.
    That or have it automatically show the entry door without user input so that you cannot forget it.

edited October 2018
    Eureka!! I found it!!!! Thanks captainhunter1

9 missions and STO down tomorrow and for unknown number of days after that...
    You sure we can't extend this voting thing through another weekend?

spiritborn wrote: »
    That or have it automatically show the entry door without user input so that you cannot forget it.

The missions the Devs make have that glowing circle around the starting point on the map....which is missing on the Foundry ones.

For example: my Character is standing in ESD right now...with all the remaining missions for the Foundry Challenge listed in her mission tracker. No arrow or circle around either of the 2 Foundry missions with starting points up in here.

Eureka!! I found it!!!! Thanks captainhunter1

9 missions and STO down tomorrow and for unknown number of days after that...
    You sure we can't extend this voting thing through another weekend?

Hi there. I tried to find the missions Generation Armageddon, Unseen Enemies and Ooooo, Jem. None of them appears. Actually I can't find any foundry mission at all atm.
    Yeah the Foundry is offline following Tuesday's patch. Don't worry it's a routine procedure, but there's not really any predicting how long it will take.

Whenever it comes back, everyone will have an extra four days to get their votes in.
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Yeah the Foundry is offline following Tuesday's patch. Don't worry it's a routine procedure, but there's not really any predicting how long it will take.

Whenever it comes back, everyone will have an extra four days to get their votes in.

Okay. Thanks for the info *imagineThumbsUpEmoticonHere* ;-)
    drogyn1701 wrote: »

Okay. Thanks for the info *imagineThumbsUpEmoticonHere* ;-)
    Yeah like Drogyn said downtimes like this are typical after a major patch (they don't always happen but enough times to be nothing out of the ordinary), I'd say week or 2 max until Foundry is back online unless something really major issue is found.

In fact only atypical thing about this downtime is that we're actively told about it ;).

How long does it take for the Foundry to come back up? Do you think it will be up next weekend? I don't have a lot of time for missions during the week.

• castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    How long does it take for the Foundry to come back up? Do you think it will be up next weekend? I don't have a lot of time for missions during the week.

Unfortunately the answer is 'its a variable.' We have had updates where it was back up and playable(not editable) within a day , the worst case it was almost 2 months. I will say when we stop getting daily patches, we should see it start the republish within the week.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    castsbugc wrote: »
    Unfortunately the answer is 'its a variable.' We have had updates where it was back up and playable(not editable) within a day , the worst case it was almost 2 months. I will say when we stop getting daily patches, we should see it start the republish within the week.

There's a costume bug in the live game that might affect the Foundry in a bad way (wiping settings on custom NPC's.) A couple of us have recommended to Cryptic that they try to sort this one out before the Foundry goes back live. It's fairly critical (live tailor is missing a lot of options from default unlocks [most easily identified in Aliens], though under some circumstances its possible to get these back in the tailor temporarily) so hopefully it won't be too long. My guess, this probably isn't going to be a super quick downtime but so far we're probably also not looking at extended emergency downtime either (if the costume bug takes a while to fix we can always ask Cryptic to turn on tribble Foundry and see what effect it's actually having, without risking published missions.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User

Just logged on for the first time in about two years. Saw that the Foundry is dry as a martini (at least for me).
    Assuming that they're still putting things back together post-AoD push as is usual after a big publish?
    khreg wrote: »

Just logged on for the first time in about two years. Saw that the Foundry is dry as a martini (at least for me).
    Assuming that they're still putting things back together post-AoD push as is usual after a big publish?

Totally normal so far. As Duncan said there seem to be a costume bug that might affect the Foundry, so we are probably looking longer downtime.
  • khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User

Totally normal so far. As Duncan said there seem to be a costume bug that might affect the Foundry, so we are probably looking longer downtime.

Ah ok. I'll keep checkin back then. Danke!
    khreg wrote: »

Ah ok. I'll keep checkin back then. Danke!
    It might come back up sooner then bug is fixed if the bug only effects the in-game tailor and not the Foundry Editor at this point only people who might know are the Cryptic devs.
This discussion has been closed.