• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @talonxv said:
    > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > @talonxv said:
    > > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > >
    > > > > Seems more to me like confirmation bias. People who wanted to hate it, whether because its Discovery or other reasons, found reasons to because hate is always easier.
    > > >
    > > > Incorrect. I thought the sets, ships(even though I find the Klingon ships to be hideous) characters etc rendered very well. Voice acting was top notch. And some of the scenes (especially our characters facial responses) were redone well.
    > > >
    > > > But at the end of the day the opening act(which is still a ripoff if the standard Federation tutorial regardless of what jsycallis says) is still a rip off and that is very disappointing.
    > > >
    > > > Rest of the few missions were meh, then instead of doing something new, right back to 2409 like AOY.
    > > >
    > > > Which is disappointing.
    > >
    > > That may be so for you, and nowhere did I say everyone fell into what I said, but other than the dubious complaints about similarities to the standard Fed tutorial (which does not even register as an issue to me and my opinion is just as relevant as anyone else's) I have yet to see any complaints that involve anything but Discovery hate. I'm not counting any bug complaints because no major launch is ever going to be bug free, and all MMOs have bugs, even WoW has launch era bugs today. I see nothing about the writing, nothing about the vastly improved animations in cutscenes, nothing of substance in the complaints. Just "reskinned fed tutorial" and "only 2 missions" which discounts that we were already told AoD would not be coming all at once and more is coming later. We haven't even seen one of the announced Discovery characters yet (Landry), more is coming.
    >
    > Which are valid points. Though my biggest complaint is the walker tier 1-4. I would love to meet whatever genius thought that up.
    >
    > Tier 4:
    > -BOFF seating
    > -Consoles
    > -weapon mounts
    >
    > At tier 1. With scaling shield and hull health. Just made every single tier 1-3 ship obsolete over night except for their consoles.
    >
    > And completely screwed the KDF to boot. Now is that a valid concern? Or just more useless whining?

I haven't tried the low tier scaling walker yet but afaik its only for AoD characters (please correct me if I'm wrong on that) but even if its available for regular and TOS Feds I still don't see it killing off all the other low tier ships, but we will see.

On the Klingon side, yeah I'll agree that I would have loved some missions for Red side too, didn't really expect any, but I'd have been very happy to get some.

it's a fed ship that is unlocked... seems like you need a pure fed char to buy thou... so cant buy with jhd or rom who is fed allied. but you can buy on reg fed or aoy fed toon, besides your disc fed. once unlocked... I think your allies can claim... but not sure yet since I have not bought or followed up on this in the starter pack thread
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @tigeraries said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > > @talonxv said:
    > > > > > @azrael605 said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > Seems more to me like confirmation bias. People who wanted to hate it, whether because its Discovery or other reasons, found reasons to because hate is always easier.
    > > > >
    > > > > Incorrect. I thought the sets, ships(even though I find the Klingon ships to be hideous) characters etc rendered very well. Voice acting was top notch. And some of the scenes (especially our characters facial responses) were redone well.
    > > > >
    > > > > But at the end of the day the opening act(which is still a ripoff if the standard Federation tutorial regardless of what jsycallis says) is still a rip off and that is very disappointing.
    > > > >
    > > > > Rest of the few missions were meh, then instead of doing something new, right back to 2409 like AOY.
    > > > >
    > > > > Which is disappointing.
    > > >
    > > > That may be so for you, and nowhere did I say everyone fell into what I said, but other than the dubious complaints about similarities to the standard Fed tutorial (which does not even register as an issue to me and my opinion is just as relevant as anyone else's) I have yet to see any complaints that involve anything but Discovery hate. I'm not counting any bug complaints because no major launch is ever going to be bug free, and all MMOs have bugs, even WoW has launch era bugs today. I see nothing about the writing, nothing about the vastly improved animations in cutscenes, nothing of substance in the complaints. Just "reskinned fed tutorial" and "only 2 missions" which discounts that we were already told AoD would not be coming all at once and more is coming later. We haven't even seen one of the announced Discovery characters yet (Landry), more is coming.
    > >
    > > Which are valid points. Though my biggest complaint is the walker tier 1-4. I would love to meet whatever genius thought that up.
    > >
    > > Tier 4:
    > > -BOFF seating
    > > -Consoles
    > > -weapon mounts
    > >
    > > At tier 1. With scaling shield and hull health. Just made every single tier 1-3 ship obsolete over night except for their consoles.
    > >
    > > And completely screwed the KDF to boot. Now is that a valid concern? Or just more useless whining?
    >
    > I haven't tried the low tier scaling walker yet but afaik its only for AoD characters (please correct me if I'm wrong on that) but even if its available for regular and TOS Feds I still don't see it killing off all the other low tier ships, but we will see.
    >
    > On the Klingon side, yeah I'll agree that I would have loved some missions for Red side too, didn't really expect any, but I'd have been very happy to get some.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it's a fed ship that is unlocked... seems like you need a pure fed char to buy thou... so cant buy with jhd or rom who is fed allied. but you can buy on reg fed or aoy fed toon, besides your disc fed. once unlocked... I think your allies can claim... but not sure yet since I have not bought or followed up on this in the starter pack thread

I'm going to check when I get home
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nice tutorial, I enjoyed it and the visuals and sound effects, except for the very end where it highlights the captain's chair with no other actions available - maybe that's the bug being fixed now, or the server going offline interfered with it, I can't be sure.
    Yeah, that's something that needs to be taught better - you right-click when the chair icon is showing to sit. It's not intuitively obvious; I found it pretty much by accident, back in the day.

Ah, double clicking worked, thanks for the reminder. Yes, a noob moment, shows how long it's been since I did anything other than space queues and clicky grinds.

Also I was wrong about the keybind tray, the tray 4 still exists and works! Only the Jem'Hadar is lacking it last I checked.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    sukhothaisukhothai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I am saddened by the lack of imagination in AoD! Total let down! :'(
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've just done the tutorial, though the computer I played on was laggy and had no sound. Can't comment on VA that I missed. But I will say I enjoyed it and that starter ship you get is nice. I only used stuff I got as mission rewards or what came with the ship. Still doing that even though I've swapped to the Walker. Those white EL Phasers kick rear end on Normal.

As I said in my other post, I said I'd probably not have any complaints, and I don't. Had no problems with bugs or anything, so that was good. Will be playing her some more later when I'm not busy with something else. I like her. I chose Alien and have re-created a custom species a friend and I created. I have another on my main acct and he is my main. So now there's a Kilaria from Disc *Chuckle*
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Yeah, playing on normal with the walker almost feels like cheating. Even if it's all low mark & quality 7 friggin weapon slots is absolute overkill during those low levels. Though it was really funny how fast those wannabe bops turned into fireworks. :D
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Oh did a quick check. Any of the "3" Federation factions can instantly pick up the Walker.

Tried to get the walker on my Fed aligned Romulan was a no go.

And TOS can get the walker while in 2270.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Yeah no it's pretty obviously a copy/paste reskin of the previous Fed tutorial. No debate to be had. I'm no fan of the crybabies who think calling DSC "TRIBBLE" is somehow clever either, but to write off any complaint raised against the new stuff as just more crying from the haters is excessively dismissive.

As far as reskins go, the DSC version is a big improvement in the looks and flow department, so it's technically an upgrade. It just feels cheap of them to not bother to write a new story at all.

I haven't played the other new missions yet, but I refuse to consider a reskinned tutorial a problem by any means. Now, if it turns out the rest of the DSC missions are just reskinned versions of Klingon War missions, then I'll be a bit miffed...
  • Options
    tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    God forbid we actually receive free new content shortly after a major free new content release. Such a pity. I hate Cryptic.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Yeah, they didn't even bother to change the idle NPC dialogue ("that's not how cold fusion works").

I enjoyed "Secrets" and "Downfall", and the new maps/graphics/voice acting are all great. But the rest was a blatant copy-and-paste of the Fed tutorial, which is disappointing to say the least.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Clearly you didn't actually read my post.

I wasn't talking about your posts. In fact, based on sorting through the garbled mess that is your mobile device posts, we seem to largely be in agreement - that most of the hate is from people who were going to hate it regardless of how good or bad it was for the sole reason than it's DSC, and that the tutorial being a reskin isn't really an issue worth complaining about. So I'm really quite baffled as to why you thought I was talking about anything you said.
  • Options
    First, sorry about the mobile artifacts, lol. I believe I have hit quote on the wrong post, as indeed we do seem much in agreement looking back at our posts. Sorry about that.

s'all good.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    So you hate the show, so you think it shouldn't be in tbat era, so what. I love the show
    So what, good for you, then? I can't be allowed to think the opposite? I have the right to say so without being put in the "Discovery hater for the sake of it". As I said, we can dislike or even hate something for legitimate reasons, even if there are others who hate that for stupid reasons.
    Especially since my only issues with this Discovery content in STO is the copy-pasted tutorial, the questionably scaling Walker that is still welcome for rushing through older missions, Tilly talking and... not doing much apart from that, the very small amount of missions in the Discovery era, the last mission feeling like a tutorial to the Starbase One STF, and the overall small content for such an hyped expansion, especially following the awesome ViL one.
    "Only 2 missions" more are coming
    More in the Discovery era now that our character is in the 25th century and Tilly, the one character hyped to the excess, left the crew? Somehow, I doubt that. There is no doubt the story will be continued, heck, it's even spelled out by the non-DSC contacts of the simulated missions and our old friend. But it most likely won't be in the Discovery era which is a shame for an expansion called Age of Discovery.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    More in the Discovery era now that our character is in the 25th century and Tilly, the one character hyped to the excess, left the crew? Somehow, I doubt that. There is no doubt the story will be continued, heck, it's even spelled out by the non-DSC contacts of the simulated missions and our old friend. But it most likely won't be in the Discovery era which is a shame for an expansion called Age of Discovery.
    Cryptic has stated missions added later will be retconed into the story arc. Basically, what we got was the very first mission, and the very last one, and the other missions will be in between.

We already know that the anniversary mission will involve the ISS Discovery, and Captain Killy, and will reveal what happened to them, placing it firmly in the Discovery era.

As it is
    -Mission 1: Secrets, takes place between episodes 2 and 3 of Discovery
    -Mission 3: Killy, will take place in the place alongside episode 10 of Discovery, but in the Prime Universe while Discovery itself was in the Mirror Universe.
    -Mission 2: Desperation, takes place shortly before episode 14 of Discovery

We also know two later missions will involve a story for the planet Pahvo that was made for the TV series, but didn't get used, and another that will deal with Landry, her backstory, and why she was a hardass, with Landry's VA to voice her character.

And both of those take place in the Disco era.

Do you happen to have a source on that? I'd be interested to read this.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    As for the story mission being a tutorial for Starbase 1, thats no different than the Battle of Procyon 5.
    Err, not even remotely close.

Starbase One STF is you staying in space and shooting ships while making sure the allied ships escape.
    Starbase One mission is you staying in space and shooting ships while making sure the allied ships escape, except you get ships to evacuate first and you can't fail to protect the ships.

Battle of Procyon 5 STF is you staying in space but being sent into a few time loops with progressively more intense waves.
    Battle of Procyon 5 story mission is you fighting your way to the Ent-J first, then meeting a time-displaced Scotty who fixes stuff while you're fending off Leeta and her goons on foot. Then you go back in space and you hold off more waves of enemies until the Builders are sent back to their dimension. Then you assault and disable the Annorax. Then, you fight your way through the Annorax' rooms until you finally take Noye down. Also, the story mission is supposedly the last iteration of the battle because Daniels is dead in this one and Noye has all his allies, and you get to neutralize the Annorax once and for all.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    jaephjaeph Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I have never watched discovery.

I enjoy the tutorial, I love the look and feel of everything ( UI, weapons, warp sounds, etc).

My one issue is the whole "kids in space" thing. You don't give a graduating class senior staff positions on a machine that can level cities. One grad as an exception? Sure. But the whole senior staff? It really is hard to swallow.

Still, overall I like this.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Honestly, the fact that people are disappointed with the whole "re-skinned tutorial" I find really funny. It's not like we were not told in advance about it.
    The first installment from Age of Discovery will introduce a reimagined starting experience that allows players to create a Federation character from the Discovery era. The update also includes two new episodes for Starfleet Academy cadets, a new Task Force Operation to defend Starbase 1, and new reputations that expand the game’s Reputation System to Tier 6 and unlock powerful new rewards. Additional details will be announced when Age of Discovery launches later this year.

This was taken from the announcement blog. Yes there are portions that are the same but there are also portions that are different, such as the fact that Savea and Tilly voice different parts that Elisa voiced and Tilly later takes on the Bolian engineer's parts during the tutorial.

I still enjoyed it. It felt like it was a better fit for Discovery than it was for 2409.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    jaeph wrote: »
    I have never watched discovery.

I enjoy the tutorial, I love the look and feel of everything ( UI, weapons, warp sounds, etc).

My one issue is the whole "kids in space" thing. You don't give a graduating class senior staff positions on a machine that can level cities. One grad as an exception? Sure. But the whole senior staff? It really is hard to swallow.

Still, overall I like this.
    They're not kids. This is the sort of thing they're going to be expected to do after graduating. Also the ship thing is actually based on a real-world naval tradition. It's MEANT to be a practical exercise in controlling a ship and nothing more. IE, you've done it right in simulations now to do it for real. Actual combat is not part of the plan, and the ship weapons are probably locked out unless the actual captain unlocks them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    > @markhawkman said:
    > jaeph wrote: »
    >
    > I have never watched discovery.
    >
    > I enjoy the tutorial, I love the look and feel of everything ( UI, weapons, warp sounds, etc).
    >
    > My one issue is the whole "kids in space" thing. You don't give a graduating class senior staff positions on a machine that can level cities. One grad as an exception? Sure. But the whole senior staff? It really is hard to swallow.
    >
    > Still, overall I like this.
    >
    >
    >
    > They're not kids. This is the sort of thing they're going to be expected to do after graduating. Also the ship thing is actually based on a real-world naval tradition. It's MEANT to be a practical exercise in controlling a ship and nothing more. IE, you've done it right in simulations now to do it for real. Actual combat is not part of the plan, and the ship weapons are probably locked out unless the actual captain unlocks them.

Which is why you need a code from the Captain to even unlock the armoury. In regular use, security would be on top of it before the raiders beamed in.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Not trying to argue with anybody who thinks differently and is entitled to their opinion - we may disagree but this is not an essential thing, not even regarding STO - I want to state my opinion:

I am pretty unhappy so far. One problem of course is that other things I don't like have happened in the update as well, so it's hard to pinpoint how much goes towards the tutorial thing.

(Allow me a bit of whining, thinks I don't like right now, some of them will of course be fixed: deactivation of red alerts, they were really handy for consistent popping to get towards my 100 STFs/Jem - I hate CCA so don't mention it; tier 6 commendations requiring 250k, which isn't a problem for my old toons, but raising new ones as an altoholic to 1530 instead of 625 I am not looking forward to, neither do I want 30 days of interface clicking and box discarding/content selling; admiralty bug; thousands of mission and STF mission popups; streamlined mission arcs is a mixed bag)

The graphics were great. I do think e. g. that the academy looks better than the "real" one. I don't like Tilly though, don't think she resembles the character from TV as much as all the Gamma guys. UI, beam and warp effects are great. VOs were nice. New animations a mixed bag, the "ohmygod" shock closeups were overdone IMO, otherwise a big plus. The new tutorial is obviously not aimed at experienced players (cf. lack of dangling recruitment event carrot) and not too much more was to be expected so shortly after the Gamma expansion, but this total parallel does feel off and disappointing. The leveling ship is OP, as has been mentioned, though for a Sci or Tac there's of course wrong seating (but this is not the tutorial in itself). Not levelling to 10 was unexpected.

But in the end it is really the similarity that threw me off: since AoD characters will be normal FED characters after arriving in the 25th century, the tutorial (well, and starter boffs plus UI and effects) is really the only thing setting the AoD experience apart from rolling a standard FED. And there's too much similarity for me to make it feel like a different origin. Granted, AoY/TOS toons are also standard FED, but at least I remember what they did back in the beginning was different. So yeah, disappointed.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    Addendum: in the mostly correct list of similarities above I see one major difference (which doesn't resolve all issues) not mentiond. Since it isn't much of a redeeming factor only for sake of completeness: first character you meet will become a boff in original tutorial, obviously not here.
  • Options
    And about the two new missions: the first one actually is great. The second one feels like a lame STF already while playing it. Doesn't help much that it becomes one with minor changes.
This discussion has been closed.