test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Disc Tutorial... nice job ;)

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
total reskin of reg fed tutorial. been a while since I played it but this time the script seems "better"? /shrug maybe memory playing tricks with me. 2nd part replaced borg with more klingons. still this if this was how things was going on... surprised the fed lasted this long. they couldnt even keep em out of the heart of fed space? imagine during cold war if we couldnt keep Soviet Russia out of Western Europe or have em right in the middle of NA...

finished 1st mission after tutorial and game booted me... oh well that's it for today. can only take so much of shooting clay pigeons with a T1 ship going from place to place at W5.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I wouldn't say "total reskin" certain elements are copied, but not all of it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    a complete con job and a total let down even by cryptic standards.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    let down is way too harsh. I injoyed it.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Well, Star Trek Discovery sets itself up for failure by title and design. Was expecting things to break. Day 1 - the exchange is broken - no prices are shown.
    The new Discovery toon has no reward-carrot behind it. No recruitment event, just dumb Tilly incentive. (So I skipped making one).
    The UI is fine, but starting all reputations on 10 toons in a row can take a tax on your patience and incentive to play.
    Guess I'll mow down my gameplay hours for now to the minimal.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,666 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »
    let down is way too harsh. I injoyed it.

Same here. She was fun. :)
    I liked the tutorial. I also loved a subtle change...the NPC animations were improved. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Im still not happy with just copying the old one... But I will say that the last half wasnt to bad and the colony bit was new~ish.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    "Certain" only?

Let's see:
    -first character you see is pretty much the deuteragonist of the tutorial (Flores/Tilly)
    -Second character thanks you for helping them during the course
    -Third character has no emotions, thanks you and provides a ludicrously precise percentage of improvement/success
    -Recruiter tells you there is something you need to talk to the captain about
    -Captain says you didn't pass the phaser handling stuff and that he wants all his senior staff to be prepared
    -Player Character has the exact same set of replies ("I focused on my specialty/most of my class didn't either")
    -Talk about a famous character while walking near the bay (Boothby/Kirk)
    -Race towards the academy building
    -Talk about the combat training
    -Once again same possible replies ("what can I expect, will you go easy on me?")
    -Grab phaser, enter holodeck
    -Captain thanks you, you're XO
    -Same set of replies ("he sees greatness in me/not sure I'm up to the task")
    -Computer telling you to report to shuttlebay
    -Toast to the class
    -Same shot of the shuttle leaving with someone waving goodbye
    -"Wow, I can't believe we're finally doing it!"
    -Same fake-out: "Oh look at this awesome ship I'm gushing at and we're heading to! But here's our actual crappy ship we're assigned to just nearby, better not be late"
    -Check in here, now head to the bridge.
    -Welcome to the bridge, do this thing, then this other one, very good
    -"Sir, actually, we need to use max thrusters. -Kay."
    -Easy trip, set course to Vulcan, insert Picard reference here
    -Sir, ship in trouble, audio only. Sir, I can't call them again.
    -Captain, Is it part of the training? No? Then I suggest: "red alert, yellow alert or assess the situation for several hours"
    -Transporter officer: "Oh, this is different than simulation. Oh my, Klingons! -This ship is ours *butt kicked by Klingons*!"
    -"We're boarded by Klingons, get them off my ship!"
    -Armory is locked, open it for the 2 security officers
    -First fight, 1 officer is scripted to be disintegrated
    -Hull breach, someone is sucked out of the ship before the force field is raised.
    -Take detour, learn to flank foes in the transporter room
    -Sci/Tac/Engi objectives
    -Go to the bridge, captain gets beamed out just as you arrive
    -Heal wounded officers
    -Transmission from Klingon bad guy: "give us your stuff or the Captain bites it. -TRIBBLE you! New XO, just fire on my position. -Damnit, now I stab thee!"
    -Fire seeking torpedo that severely damages the cloaked ship.
    -Help the hostage with the same technobabble, who then bails out
    -Shoot the 3 debris to get other thingies to repair the ship
    -Shoot the jammers
    -shieldless foes to shoot at
    -Follow trail, damage the baddie's ship enough
    -allied ship arrives
    -blablabla... "and did you follow his orders? -Yes. -Well, I take you're in charge now, come here"
    -Baddie ambushes ally
    -First (and really only) main difference: baddie escapes instead of blowing up
    -Scanning anomalies... Ohmergerd, the Bor... I mean Klingons
    -Oh no, look at all those ships, we're so scre... Oh wait, they're leaving for another target, blow up the one that stayed
    -"Go inform them! -Can you hold them off? -Not a matter of "can" but "must"!"
    -Cutscene of last stand after your ship warps out

And I would go on like that for the rest, but it's the same as well:
    Warn the colony, comms jammed, civilian ships attacked once, then twice "civy ships, go away, we'll handle that. -K", beam down, door locked, help everyone, get phaser rifle in head from future Boff, blablabla...

Everything is the exact same! It's really a total reskin.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    While the new character animations are awesome and the voice over is good the rest is specteculary underwhelming.

> -Transporter officer: "Oh, this is different than simulation. Oh my, Klingons! -This ship is ours *butt kicked by Klingons*!"

Fun thing happened to me, the klingons spawned in the spots of the regular fed tutorial which were outside the map since the transporter room got changed quite a bit. Had to relog to make them appear in their proper spots to progress.

The actual new things are very nice but the rest is a sloppy copypasta job.

Also feels like Tilly was overhyped AF if she won't show up in any future episodes.
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    "Certain" only?

Let's see:
    -first character you see is pretty much the deuteragonist of the tutorial (Flores/Tilly)
    -Second character thanks you for helping them during the course
    -Third character has no emotions, thanks you and provides a ludicrously precise percentage of improvement/success
    -Recruiter tells you there is something you need to talk to the captain about
    -Captain says you didn't pass the phaser handling stuff and that he wants all his senior staff to be prepared
    -Player Character has the exact same set of replies ("I focused on my specialty/most of my class didn't either")
    -Talk about a famous character while walking near the bay (Boothby/Kirk)
    -Race towards the academy building
    -Talk about the combat training
    -Once again same possible replies ("what can I expect, will you go easy on me?")
    -Grab phaser, enter holodeck
    -Captain thanks you, you're XO
    -Same set of replies ("he sees greatness in me/not sure I'm up to the task")
    -Computer telling you to report to shuttlebay
    -Toast to the class
    -Same shot of the shuttle leaving with someone waving goodbye
    -"Wow, I can't believe we're finally doing it!"
    -Same fake-out: "Oh look at this awesome ship I'm gushing at and we're heading to! But here's our actual crappy ship we're assigned to just nearby, better not be late"
    -Check in here, now head to the bridge.
    -Welcome to the bridge, do this thing, then this other one, very good
    -"Sir, actually, we need to use max thrusters. -Kay."
    -Easy trip, set course to Vulcan, insert Picard reference here
    -Sir, ship in trouble, audio only. Sir, I can't call them again.
    -Captain, Is it part of the training? No? Then I suggest: "red alert, yellow alert or assess the situation for several hours"
    -Transporter officer: "Oh, this is different than simulation. Oh my, Klingons! -This ship is ours *butt kicked by Klingons*!"
    -"We're boarded by Klingons, get them off my ship!"
    -Armory is locked, open it for the 2 security officers
    -First fight, 1 officer is scripted to be disintegrated
    -Hull breach, someone is sucked out of the ship before the force field is raised.
    -Take detour, learn to flank foes in the transporter room
    -Sci/Tac/Engi objectives
    -Go to the bridge, captain gets beamed out just as you arrive
    -Heal wounded officers
    -Transmission from Klingon bad guy: "give us your stuff or the Captain bites it. -**** you! New XO, just fire on my position. -Damnit, now I stab thee!"
    -Fire seeking torpedo that severely damages the cloaked ship.
    -Help the hostage with the same technobabble, who then bails out
    -Shoot the 3 debris to get other thingies to repair the ship
    -Shoot the jammers
    -shieldless foes to shoot at
    -Follow trail, damage the baddie's ship enough
    -allied ship arrives
    -blablabla... "and did you follow his orders? -Yes. -Well, I take you're in charge now, come here"
    -Baddie ambushes ally
    -First (and really only) main difference: baddie escapes instead of blowing up
    -Scanning anomalies... Ohmergerd, the Bor... I mean Klingons
    -Oh no, look at all those ships, we're so scre... Oh wait, they're leaving for another target, blow up the one that stayed
    -"Go inform them! -Can you hold them off? -Not a matter of "can" but "must"!"
    -Cutscene of last stand after your ship warps out

And I would go on like that for the rest, but it's the same as well:
    Warn the colony, comms jammed, civilian ships attacked once, then twice "civy ships, go away, we'll handle that. -K", beam down, door locked, help everyone, get phaser rifle in head from future Boff, blablabla...

Everything is the exact same! It's really a total reskin.

Bravo. Thats proving a point.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    This is a COMPLETE reskin. Granted a few animations are done better, but overall, just a better dressed Fed tutorial.

I am disappoint. Yes I said I wouldn't do it, but I just had to see the train wreck. And this is just a shorter TOS arc with the standard Fed Tutorial.

It's also COMPLETE with a certain someone we all know and love who monitors the timeline to ONCE again dump us almost exactly into the 25th century.

Come on cryptic. As much as I hate DSC, this is pretty much a lame ripoff of two of your other stories.

Two thumbs down.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    It's a total reskin? When did we do anything but hold off Borg for a few minutes on Vega IX? (Or did you forget going into the mines on Corvan II to fight Klinks?) And I must have missed rushing back to Earth after Vega IX, only to find the Borg destroying ESD with a weapon that rent space and time asunder...

Yes, there are similar elements - because the tutorial must accomplish a similar job, which is to teach people who've never played before how everything works. That's why it's called a "tutorial".

Seem to be a lot of people in these forums who are just determined to hate anything to do with AoD, as the complaints started the day the new content was announced and have continued unabated, and unaffected by reality, since.

OTOH, there's a neat little Easter egg hidden aboard the cadet ship that led me to go to my secondary account and create a toon named "John Rutsey"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Nice tutorial, I enjoyed it and the visuals and sound effects, except for the very end where it highlights the captain's chair with no other actions available - maybe that's the bug being fixed now, or the server going offline interfered with it, I can't be sure.

One thing I would really appreciate: can we get the ground and space trays with all rows trigger active again? Press one key, it cycles to activate every ability placed in from left to right. I need those to spam abilities in a row. The Jem'hadar also lacks it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,376 Arc User
    Nice tutorial, I enjoyed it and the visuals and sound effects, except for the very end where it highlights the captain's chair with no other actions available - maybe that's the bug being fixed now, or the server going offline interfered with it, I can't be sure.
    Yeah, that's something that needs to be taught better - you right-click when the chair icon is showing to sit. It's not intuitively obvious; I found it pretty much by accident, back in the day.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    It's a total reskin? When did we do anything but hold off Borg for a few minutes on Vega IX?
    Since the revamp of the Fed tutorial 5 years ago.

You hold off the Borg to allow some of the colonists to evacuate to the Pattern Enhancers while Kolez and you hold the line (which becomes "hold off Klingons for a few minutes while the guy in charge is tasked by Tilly to raise the settlement's force field while Fletcher and you hold the line"). Then, once it's done, you go to a lower area (the beginning of a Borg complex in the 25c Vs the mine in the 23c) to disable a device causing troubles (Borg Transport Inhibitor Vs the haywire drill).
    And I must have missed rushing back to Earth after Vega IX, only to find the Borg destroying ESD with a weapon that rent space and time asunder...
    That's not part of the tutorial.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Going to have to try this when I get home this afternoon. Bet I won't hate it. And even if it has the same elements of the other Fed tutorial, so? It's a tutorial. People who have never played before will need those helpful popups, others can click them off.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    Some nice juicy bugs though...and later too in c25. In "Stranded In Space", science accolade fails. Also 1st and 3rd ground skill training choice is unclickable.
    For me also, after lvl 10, when promoting boffs to Lt., I couldn't give them a Lt rank on their badge.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    Going to have to try this when I get home this afternoon. Bet I won't hate it. And even if it has the same elements of the other Fed tutorial, so? It's a tutorial.
    Klingon, TOS, Romulan and Dominion had different tutorials that did their jobs. Why couldn't the DSC tutorial follow the trend? Especially since it's so identical to the revamped Fed tutorial. With a settings with time travel that happens in the same timeline, that's even more jarring.

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    I thought the TRIBBLE Tutorial was all right.
    Yes, for the most part, it's a reskin of the Fed revamp. There are some minor relocations at the TRIBBLE Academy and those are fine.

It did it's job.
    Everything else...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    cha0tic1acha0tic1a Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    My biggest problem is I now have to decide to keep the original BOFFs with their gack traits or use some spares kicking around with my other captains.
    I wish Cryptic wouldn't give such rubbish BOFFs, I'm sure an original set of purple BOFFs with decent traits wouldn't lead to Shaka, when the walls fell.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Very buggy, from what I've seen/heard. My character got stuck on the 'breach engineering' stage, some others have apparently gotten stuck on earlier parts, etc.

I'll see if there's any fix today, otherwise I'll have to think about deleting the character and starting over again. /sigh
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:

> Seems more to me like confirmation bias. People who wanted to hate it, whether because its Discovery or other reasons, found reasons to because hate is always easier.

Incorrect. I thought the sets, ships(even though I find the Klingon ships to be hideous) characters etc rendered very well. Voice acting was top notch. And some of the scenes (especially our characters facial responses) were redone well.

But at the end of the day the opening act(which is still a ripoff if the standard Federation tutorial regardless of what jsycallis says) is still a rip off and that is very disappointing.

Rest of the few missions were meh, then instead of doing something new, right back to 2409 like AOY.

Which is disappointing.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I logged out at the part where you go to sector space, but so far everything has been identical to the normal fed tutorial just with different dialog and reskinned environments.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    nothing of substance in the complaints.
    That's like your usual opinion on criticisms, so like the tutorial, nothing new.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    > @azrael605 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @azrael605 said:
    > >
    > > > Seems more to me like confirmation bias. People who wanted to hate it, whether because its Discovery or other reasons, found reasons to because hate is always easier.
    > >
    > > Incorrect. I thought the sets, ships(even though I find the Klingon ships to be hideous) characters etc rendered very well. Voice acting was top notch. And some of the scenes (especially our characters facial responses) were redone well.
    > >
    > > But at the end of the day the opening act(which is still a ripoff if the standard Federation tutorial regardless of what jsycallis says) is still a rip off and that is very disappointing.
    > >
    > > Rest of the few missions were meh, then instead of doing something new, right back to 2409 like AOY.
    > >
    > > Which is disappointing.
    >
    > That may be so for you, and nowhere did I say everyone fell into what I said, but other than the dubious complaints about similarities to the standard Fed tutorial (which does not even register as an issue to me and my opinion is just as relevant as anyone else's) I have yet to see any complaints that involve anything but Discovery hate. I'm not counting any bug complaints because no major launch is ever going to be bug free, and all MMOs have bugs, even WoW has launch era bugs today. I see nothing about the writing, nothing about the vastly improved animations in cutscenes, nothing of substance in the complaints. Just "reskinned fed tutorial" and "only 2 missions" which discounts that we were already told AoD would not be coming all at once and more is coming later. We haven't even seen one of the announced Discovery characters yet (Landry), more is coming.

Which are valid points. Though my biggest complaint is the walker tier 1-4. I would love to meet whatever genius thought that up.

Tier 4:
    -BOFF seating
    -Consoles
    -weapon mounts

At tier 1. With scaling shield and hull health. Just made every single tier 1-3 ship obsolete over night except for their consoles.

And completely screwed the KDF to boot. Now is that a valid concern? Or just more useless whining?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Just because my complaints don't match yours does not mean they don't exist.
    Right back at you.

We have legitimate concerns about what was released here. Trying to place them in the "Discovery haters' whining" basket won't help anyone and will not make you look better.

We love some things, we hate some things, we find some things annoying. C'est la vie.

I hate the show and I still think it was placed in an era that didn't need to be updated.

Yet, there are things I like. Just like I enjoy some things in this update: the scenery, the visuals, the new ship and weapons effects, the ship interiors, Ripper having a cameo, Tilly voiced by her actress doing a great job at that even if I find the character annoying and overhyped, the potential of the storyline.
    And yes, I love the enhanced animations, but it was ViL that first greatly enhanced them, so it was only logical they'd continue with them, and I praised that because it made the game more lively, so it didn't feel like you were in a galaxy of Vulcans anymore.
    #TASforSTO
This discussion has been closed.