test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are You #Silly4Tilly?

13»

Comments

• starshiprunnerstarshiprunner Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Props to those who participate, on twitter there's been a sweet moment or two but here on the fourms...

Yeah, if your reaction to "say something nice about someone in public" (using an extant meme) is to pile on the bile both for the effort and to the franchise (for reasons) then that deserves some serious self-examination. Let folks have their fun and don't be that person who we point to when we say "this is why we can't have nice things."
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    (Potential response to possible future moderated comments self-removed. - LtM)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,153 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    jexsamx wrote: »
    If it was something like #Hot4Tilly you might have a point but you are seriously and deeply overthinking a hashtag they just wanted to rhyme with her name. Chill.
    From my point of view it is just as bad as hot4tilly as it means around about the same thing. Saying “Name is silly for name” is what you say about someone who is hot about someone else and acting silly to get that’s person’s attention. It’s not overthinking that’s what it means. It’s got nothing to do with rhymes as its used for all sorts of names.

Its the type of phase you use in a pub or club to describe someone trying to pickup/pull someone else and acting silly to do that. Picking two random names, if I go out at night and ask what does “Dave is silly about Rebecca” mean, I am only going to get one answer, likewise if I say Silly for Tilly everyone is only going to think one thing. That’s why this slogan is creepy and inappropriate. Try it your self when out drinking with friends ask them what does “Dave is silly about Rebecca” mean and see what response you get. You could also ask some none Star Trek Fans who have no idea who Tilly is, what do they think Silly4Tilly means. Its not just me a few people on here and twitter have said the same thing that its inappropriate and/or creepy.

You seem to be suggesting saying “silly for name” means something completely different to you. What is that? As I have only heard it used in the way I just described.

Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    edit: ok, that didn't work. nm

<insert Guardians "Who?" gif>
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Flying to one planet to another, stopping at the event horizon before falling in to go yet again in another direction.

These are the voyages of the Roomba Zooom Kitty, boldly going where no kitty has gone before!

LOL!

When D'Tilli (Delta Recruit Tac Ferasan) gets up to the proper level, I am going to have to name her Kor BoP....Roomba Zoom.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Star Wars gets Rose we get Tilly.
    You mean JarJar
    fewzz wrote: »
    lets just carry on to ignore Discovery ever existed.

Trying my best, but CBS is pushing that garbage HARD.

I noticed that as well.
    The harder they try to sell it, the more likely it is not popular enough and thus they're trying to push it like a pushy used car salesman trying to sell a clunker.
    Hopefully the new Picard series will come out soon and we can all look back at TRIBBLE like Star Wars fans look back at The Ewok Adventure: a bad idea, gratefully forgotten.

Hey that Ewok Adventure was great. Well great enough if you were a kid.

Anyway I'm sorry but if Tilly were on my ship she would have died a long time ago in a silly accident. You know because we don't let unqualified cadets on board.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Star Wars gets Rose we get Tilly.
    You mean JarJar
    fewzz wrote: »
    lets just carry on to ignore Discovery ever existed.

Trying my best, but CBS is pushing that garbage HARD.

I noticed that as well.
    The harder they try to sell it, the more likely it is not popular enough and thus they're trying to push it like a pushy used car salesman trying to sell a clunker.
    Hopefully the new Picard series will come out soon and we can all look back at TRIBBLE like Star Wars fans look back at The Ewok Adventure: a bad idea, gratefully forgotten.

Hey that Ewok Adventure was great. Well great enough if you were a kid.

Anyway I'm sorry but if Tilly were on my ship she would have died a long time ago in a silly accident. You know because we don't let unqualified cadets on board.

Transporter incident or airlock malfunction?
  • lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    This is getting silly. Looks like about half the posts in this thread have been moderated out by BMR. Either the thread is toxic - in which case it should be locked, or TRIBBLE is somehow a prohibited subject, and since this is an official thread ...
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Well, that's binary logic, and binary logic may not apply. I couldn't speak to the salient qualities of those who've had messages moderated, but I was moderated in the deep past as well on the CoH boards, and we all know how that turned out.

(Actually, I have no idea what I mean by that.)

Anyhow, if AoD brings playable Kelpiens, I could be convinced. Especially if there are no cupcakes involved.

Things I like about Star Trek: Discovery:

* That version of Harry Mudd
    * Sarek
    * Saru
    * Gabriel Lorca - best captain ever!

I don't know if we'll get that Harry Mudd in Age of Discovery, or whether we'll be able to interact with a pre-deceased Gabriel Lorca, but it whatever we get in Age of Discovery, it'll beat standing in line for over an hour at a government office like I did this morning.
    boldly-watched.png
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    * Gabriel Lorca - best captain ever!

Lorca... a total jerk, only bad writing lets him shine in between he's introduced, and revealed to be a mirror inhabitant... but I admit, he had one or two good scenes in there.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Y’all got the moderator working overtime. Maybe we should remember that old phrase “If you don’t have something nice to say...”
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    And I thought Neelix and Tuvix were the worst creations that the entire Star Trek franchise could give birth to.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,099 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    Is Tilly the only likable character in Discovery?

Saru FTW.
    ^^^
    Maybe with a BBQ Pit and BBQ sauce. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    you uncultured boor...kelpian can only be TRULY appreciated with a side of fava beans and a nice chianti​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I think they'll assume Cryptic will drop everything they've made in the last few months and all plans they've made up to the next anniversery if not even beyond that. Just to appease them and them alone, it's "I don't like DSC therefore Cryptic shouldn't made DSC content" the fact there's more then one of them doesn't change their selfish agenda.

Of course they won't, they're locked in to this trajectory. They were probably locked in from the start by contractual obligations, and even if not it's far too late to course correct. That is obvious even to the most hardened of fools. Nobody expects them to suddenly cancel the season at this late hour.

However, we are the customers --have you forgotten this? We have every right to express how we feel about a product we're being told to buy, and to give feedback as to how and why we find it unappealing. We have the right to say we don't want it. And to vote with our money and with our time and participation (or lack of spending same). Do we expect them to appease us? If they want our time and money, of course we do. That's how a business relationship works, supply is dependent on customer demand in order to move product.

If someone is clearly part of a small minority of dissatisfied customers, they can expect that they will most likely not be catered to as the company will focus on satisfying the large majority of customers who like things as they are. If on the other hand, if one is part of a small minority that likes a thing that is highly unpopular, they can also expect not to not get more of it as it won't be profitable to produce. The majority will get what they want, as that is where the money is. That's business 101.

If I were one of a small handful of people who dislike TRIBBLE amidst a large outpouring of love and enthusiasm from a great number of others, I'd be out of luck as the company would have every incentive to produce more to meet the demand of an enthused and loyal customer base. However, if (as seems to be the case) a great number of customers are repulsed by the product then it's the company that has a problem. They will be stuck trying to move a product that far too few people want, and such a business model is not sustainable.

Erasing negative comments won't make negative opinions go away. It might, however, make customers go away. I for one wouldn't want to be reliant on this company for my paycheck given the writing on the wall...

Your absolutely right that customers do have the right to express their opinions and as long as they do so in the eloquent manner that you did its fine. What a lot are doing is just "TRIBBLE is (insert expletive) it should be cancelled and removed from STO" which is no different to other flaming posts and does not belong in the forums.

I agree that there are a good number of fans who do not like it (Though personally I feel that the content will actually be better received than discovery was). But did you consider that this actually might bring new people for which this is their first Star Trek into STO?.

I don't think STO is dieing and I think a lot of the issues with discovery (rubber Klingons) wont be an issue for STO and it is a different team of writers as well.

I all I would ask is that the people who dislike it give the new content a chance. You may never like discovery which is your right to do so, but you MIGHT like STOs take on it.

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.
    Who in the marketing department thought this was a good slogan?
    +1 vote from me. Not sure that slogan is very appropriate and it certainty isn't a good idea. Normally the phase “silly for inset name” is when your talking about someone madly in love with someone else for example Dave is silly about Sally. So saying Are You #Silly4Tilly? Is saying are you madly in love with Tilly. This PR comes across as unneeded sexualization of the Tilly character.

Being in love with someone isn't sexualizing them.

I agree.

A person can love work (what people call careers), love life, love great movies and/or food, and even have loved ones.
    But the saying “Silly 4 inset name” isn’t used for loving work, careers, moves, food and the rest. Its about a person acting silly while trying to impress someone they are in love with. Or on a night out it’s used to describe someone who fancys someone else and is acting silly to impress so they can get it bed with them.

It doesn’t feel appropriate to be using a slogan like that here.

It's going to be one of those days, I suppose.

#Silly4Tilly is one of those twitter things that people like to use. Since I'm not a Twitter user, I've no idea what the hashtag is for or what not.

Silly and Tilly rhyme, which makes it catchy. She is a favourite Star Trek character for a number of people, and saying silly is like saying crazy in a fun way. So when someone's silly for Tilly, it's like they are crazy for her.

And since she is a Star Trek character, having such a promotion is fitting for STO, just as if it was for a t-shirt with a character's face, or a starship or what not from one of the various Star Trek television shows or movies.

None of my friends or relatives (that I know of) plays (or wants to play) this game, so this contest is not for me, regardless of how I feel about Tilly. So it doesn't matter to me.

But there are people who do really care, and are able to do what needs to be done to win the t-shirts or the T6 ship. I wish them all the best :)
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,153 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.
    Who in the marketing department thought this was a good slogan?
    +1 vote from me. Not sure that slogan is very appropriate and it certainty isn't a good idea. Normally the phase “silly for inset name” is when your talking about someone madly in love with someone else for example Dave is silly about Sally. So saying Are You #Silly4Tilly? Is saying are you madly in love with Tilly. This PR comes across as unneeded sexualization of the Tilly character.

Being in love with someone isn't sexualizing them.

I agree.

A person can love work (what people call careers), love life, love great movies and/or food, and even have loved ones.
    But the saying “Silly 4 inset name” isn’t used for loving work, careers, moves, food and the rest. Its about a person acting silly while trying to impress someone they are in love with. Or on a night out it’s used to describe someone who fancys someone else and is acting silly to impress so they can get it bed with them.

It doesn’t feel appropriate to be using a slogan like that here.

It's going to be one of those days, I suppose.

#Silly4Tilly is one of those twitter things that people like to use. Since I'm not a Twitter user, I've no idea what the hashtag is for or what not.

Silly and Tilly rhyme, which makes it catchy. She is a favourite Star Trek character for a number of people, and saying silly is like saying crazy in a fun way. So when someone's silly for Tilly, it's like they are crazy for her.

And since she is a Star Trek character, having such a promotion is fitting for STO, just as if it was for a t-shirt with a character's face, or a starship or what not from one of the various Star Trek television shows or movies.

None of my friends or relatives (that I know of) plays (or wants to play) this game, so this contest is not for me, regardless of how I feel about Tilly. So it doesn't matter to me.

But there are people who do really care, and are able to do what needs to be done to win the t-shirts or the T6 ship. I wish them all the best :)
    It must be a different culture thing. It might be catchy but it still for me feels wrong and inappropriate to use a slogan that we use to describe people acting up to impress a girl/boy on a night on. Its not a nice slogan and shouldn't be used for PR at least over here.

To put it another way if I went into work and said Tim over there is acting silly for Tilly or any other name and there was person with that name at work if it was true they would be pulled up for inappropriate behaviour.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    You can't get silly for Tilly willy-nilly.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    The only thing I would be silly for is her fantastic body. Especially the Mirror Tilly.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    hastags are the air quotes for the antisocial media generation.

Except they're even more cringeworthy when someone actually says hashtag.

Surprisingly risky catchphrase to use, given the militant nature of the internet these days, where someone might take offence at the term silly being applied to that particular character.