Are You #Silly4Tilly?

Comments

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.
    Who in the marketing department thought this was a good slogan?
    +1 vote from me. Not sure that slogan is very appropriate and it certainty isn't a good idea. Normally the phase “silly for inset name” is when your talking about someone madly in love with someone else for example Dave is silly about Sally. So saying Are You #Silly4Tilly? Is saying are you madly in love with Tilly. This PR comes across as unneeded sexualization of the Tilly character.

They gave Mary Wiseman a #Silly4Tilly shirt during the Cryptic/STO portion of the Los Vegas convention. It wasn't created by Cryptic or PWI or CBS. They might have mentioned that hashtag during 'AfterTrek'. I only watched that after show show a couple times, so I wouldn't know for sure. But yeah, those shirts are real, by a separate company that prints shirts.
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Star Wars gets Rose we get Tilly.

At least Tilly has a better script to work with.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    This looks like a refreshing and positive challenge for STO player's to step up to. Obviously, this contest isn't for everyone. So not everyone will participate. I look forward to reading the winning entries.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited October 2018
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.
    +1 vote from me. Not sure that slogan is very appropriate and it certainty isn't a good idea. Normally the phase “silly for inset name” is when your talking about someone madly in love with someone else for example Dave is silly about Sally. So saying Are You #Silly4Tilly? Is saying are you madly in love with Tilly. This PR comes across as unneeded sexualization of the Tilly character.

Being in love with someone isn't sexualizing them.

I agree.

A person can love work (what people call careers), love life, love great movies and/or food, and even have loved ones.
    jump+shark.jpg

Did you just spoil the secret villain of the ST:D second season?! ;)
    giphy.gif

Maybe it's a tumour?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Lolol can I post a picture of my kitty ? Her name is Tilly and she is definitely silly.

I can just see your kitty riding around on a T6 Crossfield ship... :smiley:

Roomba Zooom Kitty!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Flying to one planet to another, stopping at the event horizon before falling in to go yet again in another direction.

These are the voyages of the Roomba Zooom Kitty, boldly going where no kitty has gone before!
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I like Tilly. She's one of the better characters on DSC. She's one of the more interesting and endearing characters, faults and all, and brings her own sizable assets to DSC's ensemble... *cough*

Anyway. I don't like this promotion. It's... bad. Really, really bad. Like, almost as bad as DSC's season 1 story arc bad.
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    "Are you #Silly4Tilly?"

No, no I am not.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Is Tilly the only likable character in Discovery?
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,153 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.

I agree.

A person can love work (what people call careers), love life, love great movies and/or food, and even have loved ones.
    But the saying “Silly 4 inset name” isn’t used for loving work, careers, moves, food and the rest. Its about a person acting silly while trying to impress someone they are in love with. Or on a night out it’s used to describe someone who fancys someone else and is acting silly to impress so they can get it bed with them.

It doesn’t feel appropriate to be using a slogan like that here.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,153 Arc User
    No, but this is silly.

Agreed.

If it’s one person no. But asking everyone who loves or fancies the Tilly character to use that tag could be seen as sexualisation of a character. It’s certainly a very creepy slogan. They should focus on the good points of the character for what she is. Not because a bunch of people find her attractive and have a crush on her which is what the slogan is about.

Perhaps its a culture thing, but around here no one in there right mind would use a slogan like that. Well perhaps a nightclub or bar saying are you silly4xxx bring them here to pull.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    If it was something like #Hot4Tilly you might have a point but you are seriously and deeply overthinking a hashtag they just wanted to rhyme with her name. Chill.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    jump+shark.jpg

Did you just spoil the secret villain of the ST:D second season?! ;)

Spoiler Alert : Aaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
    edited October 2018
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    edited October 2018
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yeeeeah... Noooo... pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    The people who like TRIBBLE like TRIBBLE, everyone else hates it!
    I neither like nor hate Discovery. I rather enjoyed watching the first season, analysing the obvious plotholes and everything else that's not to my taste with it. But as soon as I see someone rant about "social justice warriors" and "political agendas of the writers", I know I've just witnessed a political agenda: a backlash, reactionary, anti-egalitarian, inhuman one.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what Cryptic has come up with in-game, too.

PS: To ask Cryptic to not promote their new content? You really are a marketing expert...

• lapprenticellapprenticel Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited October 2018
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    The people who like TRIBBLE like TRIBBLE, everyone else hates it!
    PS: To ask Cryptic to not promote their new content? You really are a marketing expert...
    I think they'll assume Cryptic will drop everything they've made in the last few months and all plans they've made up to the next anniversery if not even beyond that. Just to appease them and them alone, it's "I don't like DSC therefore Cryptic shouldn't made DSC content" the fact there's more then one of them doesn't change their selfish agenda.
  • spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Honestly I think they've lost it with this hashtag. It has got to be the cringiest thing I've seen them ever do.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    But as soon as I see someone rant about "social justice warriors" and "political agendas of the writers", I know I've just witnessed a political agenda: a backlash, reactionary, anti-egalitarian, inhuman one.

Holy finger-wagging, perceived moral superiority, Batman.
    You've managed to both make and invalidate your argument in the space of one sentence.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FuCRMxo7ivJJ16%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1
    Post edited by sinn74 on
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    You know, sometimes, Character Shilling works well. For example, John Wick who spends most of his time awesomely showing why people says he's not the boogeyman, but the guy you send to KILL the boogeyman.

This promotion is a good example of how many other times, this falls flat because it's overdone compared to what the character does.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Nah, I'm more #Retchin'4Gretchin
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Is Tilly the only likable character in Discovery?

Saru FTW.
    boldly-watched.png
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I'm a grown man with a son in college. I'm not silly for anything or anyone. (I won't even eat a cupcake. Cupcakes are for children.)

I don't dislike Cadet Tilly--I just don't want the show built around her. Honestly, the Michael Burnham character isn't all that compelling, either. Since no one has yet mentioned Doug Jones and Saru, I think I'm going to be less happy with Age of Discovery than I might have been otherwise.

Unless and until someone builds a mission around cupcakes.
    boldly-watched.png