test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@Cryptic: Operation Gamma to hard for new players on normal.

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    Currently laughing very very hard at the claim of "STO being a game of respawn till you win like so many other games out there" especially the "Like so many others" part.
    When a game is set up to allow infinite respawns with no penalty, the expectation is that players will use it, and that at least some players will need it.

And yes, there are many games in which death means absolutely nothing. Even more so than STO. In this one game I played on Xbox (forgot the name, some third-person shooter), when you "died" it would play a cutscene and then automatically respawn you in the same exact spot you died in. So you basically just put the controller down, took a sip or three of your beverage of choice, and continued as if nothing happened. Boring as what, but it happens.
  • Options
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    Danube Class Runabout As compared to base shuttle adds +1 tac console +1 science console + 0.1 shield modifier + 0.1 hull modifier + 1 universal boff slot. Cost: 34,250 EC.
    "You should immediately throw out the thing you just got and haven't even had a chance to use yet and spend money you probably haven't even figured out how to get more of yet."
    Yes. Well no, you should keep it until Admiralty unlocks so you can get the card, then throw it out. But you definitely shouldn't fly it, because a much better one is dirt cheap.

When I was new I never even claimed the free shuttle at all, because I immedately noticed I could easily afford a better one. In fact I think the first time I'd ever picked up the free shuttle on any toon is when Admiralty was released and I wanted the cards.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    dib8rman wrote: »
    Yeah I only started playing again recently got to level 65 no problem with the xp pack but then I noticed even with mostly purp XII gear things were just 1 shotting me. Not in a way that I was mechanically avoidable either.
    which specific enemies?
    echatty wrote: »
    Danube Class Runabout As compared to base shuttle adds +1 tac console +1 science console + 0.1 shield modifier + 0.1 hull modifier + 1 universal boff slot. Cost: 34,250 EC.
    Yeah, that's usually the one I get if I don't have anything else. The Yellowstone is also one I go with and it's quite good. The Delta Flyer or the Captain's Yacht (for LTS) are two of the best shuttle-type. I've never tried that mission with a fighter, though I might one day.
    Numbers-wise, the Tal'kyr is best. red-side doesn't have anything even close. It has the science sensor power... on a shuttle! Downside is the complete lack of tactical consoles and boff seats. you can't even slot ENG boffs. It is not the most versatile to build for but has potent unique advantages.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    thanks for the tip, will look into it
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    warpangel wrote: »
    gradii wrote: »
    Currently laughing very very hard at the claim of "STO being a game of respawn till you win like so many other games out there" especially the "Like so many others" part.
    When a game is set up to allow infinite respawns with no penalty, the expectation is that players will use it, and that at least some players will need it.

And yes, there are many games in which death means absolutely nothing. Even more so than STO. In this one game I played on Xbox (forgot the name, some third-person shooter), when you "died" it would play a cutscene and then automatically respawn you in the same exact spot you died in. So you basically just put the controller down, took a sip or three of your beverage of choice, and continued as if nothing happened. Boring as what, but it happens.

You may have fun respawning endlessly sometimes, but I doubt a majority of players are going to find that fun. If anything, they'll find it frustrating. Which is not the goal of any game, even hard ones. The games goal is to be fun. Not to frustrate the heck out of the player that has set time aside to experience it. If people start asking "I could be playing x other game I like right now" then the game isn't doing it's job. They'll begin to see the game as truly a waste of time and they'll move on.

Video games aren't really that different than comic books, or novels, or movies or music. If it's not entertaining it's not achieving what the creator set out to do. A boring movie is a waste of time for the viewer. A bad novel is a waste of time for the reader.

Look this is an otherwise great game I feel but again, a lot of people are not actually having much fun at 60-65 except long time veterans. Especially in missions like operation Gamma. At best a new player may have been sending things into the replicator and maaaybe learned to do tour the galaxy for EC to get a slightly better shuttle. It's still limited in what he/she can do though. It's a mission designed to be done around level 35-45, and probably wasn't even tested at higher levels then that. So yes, people will have problems with it.
    Post edited by drunkflux#5679 on

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I definitely do not like respawning over and over again. Thankfully, that doesn't happen very often, so I still love the game just fine. But like any other game, sometimes I need a break from it. So I take breaks. Go play something else. Or do something else, whatever.

Still, I don't see the appeal of infinite respawns if that's all I'm doing. That being the case, something is wrong. And usually it's on my end, not the game. Though I did have a Mogai photon torpedo hit me for nearly 70k in Beta Thoridor. A normal photon torpedo, not HY, not spread.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Proper tools to match the job.

Yeah mk 15 epic gold full shuttle, weapons, lockbox traits and consoles from lobi store to boot.

try with common or uncommon gear, standard vanilla L45ish set up... ie no traits etc.

• Options
    tigeraries wrote: »
    try with common or uncommon gear, standard vanilla L45ish set up... ie no traits etc.
    You get better gear than green 12 from playing story missions. If your theoretical NooB is using that then they have worse problems than not knowing how to build shuttles.

Another problem with your idea is that your suggested loadout for simulating a level 45 player... doesn't work if you're a level 65 player since level 65 scaling assumes you have traits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    "You should immediately throw out the thing you just got and haven't even had a chance to use yet and spend money you probably haven't even figured out how to get more of yet."
    "Folks complain about blowing up during a shuttle mission. Get one that's multiple times better for 34K EC, don't blow up, and keep the admiralty card."
    laughinxan wrote: »
    Don't mistake me for being a "scrub" here or crying doom....
    I'm beginning to wonder.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    I definitely do not like respawning over and over again. Thankfully, that doesn't happen very often, so I still love the game just fine. But like any other game, sometimes I need a break from it. So I take breaks. Go play something else. Or do something else, whatever.

Still, I don't see the appeal of infinite respawns if that's all I'm doing. That being the case, something is wrong. And usually it's on my end, not the game. Though I did have a Mogai photon torpedo hit me for nearly 70k in Beta Thoridor. A normal photon torpedo, not HY, not spread.

Thats exactly what I reported in the bugs section. And largely what I'm talking about when I'm saying there is something seriously wrong with the scaling in this game at level 60-65 that needs to be looked at.

• Options
    "Folks complain about blowing up during a shuttle mission. Get one that's multiple times better for 34K EC, don't blow up, and keep the admiralty card."
    I'm beginning to wonder.

Read the rest of the post, not that I really care at this point. Probably didn't need to put that in there yet so many people assume i'm crying doom or demanding others follow ficticious rules and making up an endless barrage of more rules.

I don't actually care how other people play. I shouldn't even have to say that. Thats what scrubs and Stop-Having-Fun-Guy's do. They demand others play like them endlessly. They demand changes to the game that fit an increasingly smaller audience at everyone elses expense. When they do occasionally succeed, they end up with a game that ends up especially unpopular. They may love the game, but everyone else ends up thinking it sucks.

I'm kind of trying to do the opposite here with my suggestions on changing normal so newbies aren't just being chased away from the game the moment they hit levels 60-65. I mean we have advanced and elite difficulty for people who've managed to make themselves powerful enough to trivialize normal mode. And this game needs newbies, every game does. A game that instead chases them away ultimately ends up losing even it's veterans who finally get bored and leave anyways.

Should people be encouraged to learn the mechanics of the game? Absolutely. Thats why there is a thread even about asking for suggestions on that. But the difficulty scaling has to match the learning curve. Right now at 60-65 it flat out does not. Again i'm beating a dead horse at this point, players are not taught that well by the game. And the game just seriously spikes in difficulty in the worst way 60-65.

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I'm beginning to wonder.

Read the rest of the post, not that I really care at this point. Probably didn't need to put that in there yet so many people assume i'm crying doom or demanding others follow ficticious rules...

And yet you had no problem telling warpangel: "If you can't agree with this video then you have ZERO say in difficulty as far as I am concerned." Doesn't sound very tolerant of other people's beliefs, tbh.
    I don't actually care how other people play. I shouldn't even have to say that. Thats what scrubs and Stop-Having-Fun-Guy's do. They demand others play like them endlessly. They demand changes to the game that fit an increasingly smaller audience at everyone elses expense. When they do occasionally succeed, they end up with a game that ends up especially unpopular. They may love the game, but everyone else ends up thinking it sucks.

Yeah, I get you found your youtube-gures. And they're not even wrong on all counts. In fact, in the most generic of terrms, what they're saying rings true, mostly. Thing just is, a bunch of merry men dispensing generic advice, primarily for 'indie' developers, doesn't necessarily apply, in full, to STO. Cryptic is run by PWE, a Chinese company. There was a trend, not too long ago, among Asian MMO's makers, to back away from attracting many new players, each just spending minimally, and just concentrate more on a few whales, who each just spend a lot. That is not your typical indie business model. And it's not even entirely certain PWE actually follows this exact trend (or that it's a guaranteed viable one, even); but, with the advent of DR, there are some good indicators that they've, indeed, been banking on the 'whales' strategy more.

Why am I saying all this? Simply to try and instill some sense of relativation in you; that, yes, your gurus make some good generic points, but that, maybe, their 'Bible' doesn't blanketly apply to every game out there.

And I agree that your tone is very much starting to sound like a 'doom' thread: 'do what my gurus tell you, or the game will die.' So far, it hasn't. It's doing remarkably well, actually. Again, no hard numbers exist on this (as Cryptic simply doesn't publish the most pertinent data), but from the amount of voice-actors/actresses they hired alone, we can certainly infer they have money to spend. Heck, even Roxy has a voice now (she actually has several lines).

So, instead of continually whacking us over the head with those youtube pundits of yours, I suggest we start talking about THIS game again.

N.B. The definition of 'scrubs' seems to vary much. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder.

Read the rest of the post, not that I really care at this point. Probably didn't need to put that in there yet so many people assume i'm crying doom or demanding others follow ficticious rules...

And yet you had no problem telling warpangel: "If you can't agree with this video then you have ZERO say in difficulty as far as I am concerned." Doesn't sound very tolerant of other people's beliefs, tbh.

Yeah, I get you found your youtube-gures. And they're not even wrong on all counts. In fact, in the most generic of terrms, what they're saying rings true, mostly. Thing just is, a bunch of merry men dispensing generic advice, primarily for 'indie' developers, doesn't necessarily apply, in full, to STO. Cryptic is run by PWE, a Chinese company. There was a trend, not too long ago, among Asian MMO's makers, to back away from attracting many new players, each just spending minimally, and just concentrate more on a few whales, who each just spend a lot. That is not your typical indie business model. And it's not even entirely certain PWE actually follows this exact trend (or that it's a guaranteed viable one, even); but, with the advent of DR, there are some good indicators that they've, indeed, been banking on the 'whales' strategy more.

Why am I saying all this? Simply to try and instill some sense of relativation in you; that, yes, your gurus make some good generic points, but that, maybe, their 'Bible' doesn't blanketly apply to every game out there.

And I agree that your tone is very much starting to sound like a 'doom' thread: 'do what my gurus tell you, or the game will die.' So far, it hasn't. It's doing remarkably well, actually. Again, no hard numbers exist on this (as Cryptic simply doesn't publish the most pertinent data), but from the amount of voice-actors/actresses they hired alone, we can certainly infer they have money to spend. Heck, even Roxy has a voice now (she actually has several lines).

So, instead of continually whacking us over the head with those youtube pundits of yours, I suggest we start talking about THIS game again.

N.B. The definition of 'scrubs' seems to vary much. :)

"How dare you tell someone they are wrong!"

Telling an elitist that his disagreeing with some reasonable points makes him sound like an elitist who clearly has ego problems and has an issue with others being able to enjoy the game is not the same as telling him how to play the game. I was just being honest about my feelings towards the guy.

"I never got one shotted by a photon torp so it must not be happening!"

You guys act like this game is absurdly easy and tell us all we are not being one shotted by 80-90k damage normal photon torpedoes yet you see in other forums people complaining about it all over the place. How does that NOT sound elitist to you?

"That mission is easy just buy this 500 zen ship and a couple 1000zen consoles!"

You guys give advice that newbies most part would have to spend dozens if not hundreds of hours to be able to follow. Advice that is not even remotely practical. How does that also not sound elitist to you?

"Oh your not willing to respawn a few times in a mission you must be a scrub!"

And at least one person here (the elitist I was calling well, an elitist) said that your supposed to have fun when respawning a dozen times on a mission. How does that not sound elitist?

"I think the scaling is perfectly fine!"

Yet most people I meet in game are telling me otherwise, many people are reddit are saying otherwise. When I play the game myself I see otherwise. A dev even posted on reddit that it's broken. How does it not sound elitist to be defending the scaling?

And defending newbies rights to enjoy a game isn't a sin. If your telling me that only the richest should enjoy the game, your sounding like an elitist!

Look, you all overlook some of the things I say in my posts. I even mention that I don't necessarily believe this game is doing horribly. A couple times, but I see quite a few people feeling that way about it. Thing is a lot of people complain about the extreme torpedo damage your defending. They complain about how hard it is to get into this game, and you shoot them down. Your advice at least half the time if not a majority of the time from what i've been seeing, isn't even remotely specific or actually helpful.

I commend those who actually have seen that there is a problem, and those who have seen that yes, torpedoes are hitting absurdly hard and that mission scaling is off.

I made a statement earlier, "And I wonder why no one brings it up here...... ", I'm actually refering to the aggressive elitism here that people feel compelled to attack others and often give "git gud" non arguements. You guys instead mistook it for calling doom here. You were so wrapped up in assuming I was actually calling doom when I had a nice little "If what 'they' say was true", implying I wasn't wholly agreeing this game was doing horrible.

And since it seems devs are willing to comment on problems elsewhere it seems they don't even like posting here.

You guys are practically programmed to look for "Doomsday" threads and downtalk newbies struggling with the game. It's sad. I feel I was only posting here out of pity, well here on I'll just go to reddit, later.

• Options
    New players don't really grok ****, or else they wouldn't ever choose a non-Science-Ship, and the shipyard UI has so much stuff a newbie can't afford that it's unlikely they're going to keep digging for the one needle in the haystack.
    No idea what point you're trying to make in the first part of your post.

My intent was honest when providing a direct link to a 34K EC shuttle (the needle in the haystack) that would make a significant difference in the OP's mission and could be saved for the next shuttle weekend, used as an admiralty card, and would take about 20 minutes worth of drops to aquire so is easily obtainable in-game.

Seems good intentions don't really matter in some threads though as this one doesn't hasn't exactly headed in any meaningful direction.

I'm leveling a new toon this xp weekend and if I encounter any major scaling difficulties, insurmountable roadblocks, or anything else that I feel with hinder a new players progress I'll report back because I want their experience to be a good one.
  • Options
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Proper tools to match the job.

Yeah mk 15 epic gold full shuttle, weapons, lockbox traits and consoles from lobi store to boot.

I have.
  • Options
    New players don't really grok ****, or else they wouldn't ever choose a non-Science-Ship, and the shipyard UI has so much stuff a newbie can't afford that it's unlikely they're going to keep digging for the one needle in the haystack.

My intent was honest when providing a direct link to a 34K EC shuttle (the needle in the haystack) that would make a significant difference in the OP's mission and could be saved for the next shuttle weekend, used as an admiralty card, and would take about 20 minutes worth of drops to aquire so is easily obtainable in-game.
    Some people have an unfortunate misconception that new players are stupid. They aren't (or not any more than anyone else, anyway).

I certainly didn't have any trouble finding the EC shuttle when I did my first shuttle mission as a newbie. And why should I? It's right there next to the free one in the shipyard. No "needle in a haystack." There aren't that many shuttles in the entire game to call a "haystack." Nor did I have any trouble reading the stats, seeing that it had bigger numbers and concluding it was therefore the obvious choice to get.
    Seems good intentions don't really matter in some threads though as this one doesn't hasn't exactly headed in any meaningful direction.
    That's because there is no direction for it to head. The mission has been tested and found to be working just fine. Advice has been given to anyone who may be struggling with it. And some people have rejected all of the above in favor of continuing to complain just for the sake of complaining. What else is there to say?
  • Options
    inviz345#9290 inviz345 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    for alot of new plays it Tenebris Torquent i add a skip to home i let jemi characters skip has the rest can characters.
    Post edited by inviz345#9290 on
  • Options
    ahlianaahliana Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I have a problem with doing shuttle missions. I have POOR reflexes so I expect to die at times on normal ship missions or ground battles. Death is part of life, but when I cant do a shuttle mission because of my poor reflexes and average gear handed to me for the mission (Yes, I am a F2P player), that is a problem for me. I am wondering if it is possible to being able to skip a mission after a certain number of deaths? There is precedent for that, where you have to travel through several rings that speed you up to travel back in time. After 2 failed tries, you now get your autopilot to do it for you! (Discovered that reading up on the mission online to get some tips to help me complete it. I made the mistake of leaving the zone to reset it... silly me!). Since I have poor reflexes and gear I have gotten by doing missions or matches, I really don't want to burden a fleet with me, especially since im more looking for an RP fleet. But I still want to be a help also, as much as I can. Why I equip my ship to help compensate for my poor hand/eye coordination.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    ahliana wrote: »
    I have a problem with doing shuttle missions. I have POOR reflexes so I expect to die at times on normal ship missions or ground battles. Death is part of life, but when I cant do a shuttle mission because of my poor reflexes and average gear handed to me for the mission (Yes, I am a F2P player), that is a problem for me. I am wondering if it is possible to being able to skip a mission after a certain number of deaths?
    Yes. Use the Hail faction button, go to the episode list and find the mission you want to skip and press the skip button next to it. You don't have to die first, you can just skip without even trying a mission if you want.

Skipping does not forfeit the mission, you can still go back to play it later if you change your mind.
  • Options
    New players just use what's presented to them, as they have no resources to expend on experimentation nor prior knowledge to draw upon. They don't know that the other shuttle option exists, they don't know how to afford that, and they don't know all the various tricks and shenanigans one can pull if you have a few million EC to throw at an otherwise useless mission.
    They can SEE the other shuttle in the list. It's right there next to the one that's "presented" to them (not that the free shuttle is really presented to them in any way, they just get told to go get a shuttle at the shipyard). They can (most likely) read it's stats. And they will surely have 40k EC by level 25/30, even if just from discarding the useless junk that threatens to fill your inventory.
  • Options
    And defending newbies rights to enjoy a game isn't a sin. If your telling me that only the richest should enjoy the game, your sounding like an elitist!
    Newbies have a right to GIT GUD. My research suggests that newbies enjoy games more after learning to play them. Oh wait, this is that caterpillar>butterfly thing. If they git gud you won't call them newbies any more.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

My point is... <snip>
    Yes got it. Couldn't figure out the "New players don't really grok ****" part of your post. Still can't but assume there's a cuss word in there somewhere.
    All the various advice and tips offered to one specific instance of a new player does not magically transmit itself to EVERY new player, and this issue where the level-scaling makes the mission a lot less playable than originally designed will remain regardless of how much advice is offered to one specific player.
    You don't say. Kinda renders a good portion of this forum and the STO reddit not too useful then. Good thing the player is in a fleet. "Offering help is of little help due to no magical transmissions". Ok. As far as level scaling is concerned, would think that'd be partially offset by that fancy purple gear and even space and ground sets missions give out far before L65.

But this never really was a help thread anyway... it was a complaint thread possibly based upon using L45ish un/common gear at end game even though missions offer Mk 12 VR, combined with a bit of impatience and not wanting to take the time to learn along with generalized bleating about the space rich and elitism, with a touch of change it now or doom thrown in.

Hope you have better luck with the player over in that other forum.

Still leveling, will keep you posted. So far though it looks like Cryptic's done a bang up job.

No bugs, everything I need via missions and drops, scaling fine so far. There's even a queue called Romulan Imperial Minefield available to me as early as level 10 that doesn't appear to have a cool down. It's giving me usable blue drops, xp, dil, and fleet marks and pops every few minutes. Nice!
  • Options
    ahlianaahliana Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Skipping does not forfeit the mission, you can still go back to play it later if you change your mind.

Thank you! I do appreciate that, sir! I will keep this page marked to help remind me when I forget in the future! May your torpedoes never miss!

• Options
    @ruinthefun that is such a well thought out response that about all I can do at this point is continue to sequence break and over level while I ponder what you've said. You've gotten me questioning my own line of thinking tbh.

It's actually kind of funny as one of the reasons I'm purposely waaay overlevelling (xp weekend + boost + RIM, etc) was so I could possibly experience some of the scaling difficulties that were brought up in this thread. But apparently since I'm a "veteran" it invalidates this? But wait...

You may have a point there as the only "bug" I've really encountered so far is the game lagging slightly in acknowledging that I've wiped the map of npc's so quickly when really it's supposed to take a while that it has to think for a moment.

So all I'm doing perhaps is showing that some of the concerns brought up in this thread are valid?

Sigh.

This discussion has been closed.