test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pay Zen to buy an Unlock Bound items tool

destin1adestin1a Member Posts: 8 Arc User
I am sure this has been mentioned before, and I am aware of what people will say with the arguments of the exchange will get flooded etc.

but...

What if we could pay 100 zen for a Ferengi hacking tool, that allowed us to unbind an item from the character, and bind it instead to our account.

I am not asking for the item to become tradable on the exchange but interchangable between characters on the account.

Thoughts, Opinions, Ideas?

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,916 Arc User
    I agree with reyan. It would be nice for some things, such as ship equipment that isn't tied to specific ships as some consoles are.

I have stuff I could share if that could happen.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    I agree... as my main toon is the "collector", i have so many things i don't use on him but that could be useful at other toons
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    Id use it.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    It would be nice to have, though it will never happen for a lock box or lobi ship except at a much higher price like 10,000 zen.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I sure as hell wouldn't mind. Some of the lobi weapons and equipment that I'd like to pass on to other toons.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    It's not a bad idea but I think that the price would be significantly higher than $1.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It's not a bad idea but I think that the price would be significantly higher than $1.

Probably have it scale based on the item. $1 for minor items and $30 for R&D Promotion Event Ships. Lobi and Lockbox ships would be set at $20 or $25 since they seem to be a bit more common than R&D Promotion Event Ships.
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    Great idea!
    starkaos wrote: »

Probably have it scale based on the item. $1 for minor items and $30 for R&D Promotion Event Ships. Lobi and Lockbox ships would be set at $20 or $25 since they seem to be a bit more common than R&D Promotion Event Ships.
    That's closer to something I could see cryptic doing. Nice work.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    destin1a wrote: »
    I am sure this has been mentioned before, and I am aware of what people will say with the arguments of the exchange will get flooded etc.

but...

What if we could pay 100 zen for a Ferengi hacking tool, that allowed us to unbind an item from the character, and bind it instead to our account.

I am not asking for the item to become tradable on the exchange but interchangable between characters on the account.

Thoughts, Opinions, Ideas?

Most items I have my alt toons can live w/o. But if you include lockbox ships as the items, then sure. There are always a few I'd like my other toons to drive (even if Cryptic doesn't let them get the Ship Mastery that comes w/ it). I'd pay a few bucks to let an alt drive a ship that's just languishing in my main's space-garage.

Of course, imo, all items in STO should be BoA. Especially when you think of the indentured servitude our Doffs/Boffs suffer from. "Death or doff-grinder is your only way off my ship!" >:) Still sucks that I have some Coalition weapons that are BoE'd before Cryptic decided to let those things be BoA. :(
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • destin1adestin1a Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    A scaling price wouldn't be a feasible option. perhaps instead the item could have an unlock value of 1 - 10 Hacking tools required. so that would work out between 100 and 1000 Zen to unlock.

The price of the Ferengi Hacking tool should remain a constant however.

• fewzzfewzz Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    Id like to be able to at least have lockbox ships available to every toon i have, or let me repackage it to send to a ALT for a fee, esp the Traits, once unlocked all toons should have it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    fewzz wrote: »
    Id like to be able to at least have lockbox ships available to every toon i have, or let me repackage it to send to a ALT for a fee, esp the Traits, once unlocked all toons should have it.

The fee would be very high. Whales and DPS maxxers buy multiple copies of the ships.

• nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Sure, i'd love to have a tool like that, or rather a tool to convert things like--> I have way too many weapons from older lockboxes that were Bind on Equip that i want to be Account Wide instead. Nowdays that is standard.
    edited September 2018
    A scaling price wouldn't be a feasible option. perhaps instead the item could have an unlock value of 1 - 10 Hacking tools required. so that would work out between 100 and 1000 Zen to unlock.

The price of the Ferengi Hacking tool should remain a constant however.
    That's a pretty good way to implement such a system. 30 "hacking tools" for a lock box or lobi ship IMO. 50 tools for a promo ship. Say 5 tools for a space trait, 3 tools for a lock box weapon etc etc.

Thinking about this thread the last day or so, I think the only possibility would be that "hacking tools" would make character bound items account bound instead of completely unbound. No need to cannibalize key sales. Also items would become bind on equip obviously. Also, as others have said, items that were never unbound like lobi weapons (one example) would not be possible to "hack."
  • charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    Yep i think this idea def. deserves some attention from the devs to be fleshed out and eventually make a really good addition to the game. My Vengaence (among others) goes to waste because i favor a different ship at the moment and i would love to be able to give it to an alt.
    A scaling price wouldn't be a feasible option. perhaps instead the item could have an unlock value of 1 - 10 Hacking tools required. so that would work out between 100 and 1000 Zen to unlock. The price of the Ferengi Hacking tool should remain a constant however.
    This is a really nice solution there as long as its all in the region of account bound. No need to give people the ability to resell this as to not upset the market for those items. But let's be honest how many people buy a lobi or otherwise account bound ship twice (except consoles) on an alt? Don't think this would hurt sales at all, if anything it could boost sales because desired items are no longer restricted to a singular character. New recruitment event? got the perfect lobi ship already! as opposed to: "nah, i'm gonna save up for something new, the new recruit gets something else". The only thing that really should be looked into are ship-traits (some of the most desired ones come from lobi ships) as well as ship specific consoles, but hey, i'm not a dev ;)

charon83 wrote: »
    Don't think this would hurt sales at all, if anything it could boost sales because desired items are no longer restricted to a singular character.
    I don't buy that. People that just buy one ship would STILL just buy one ship. But people that buy multiple would no longer buy multiple. It's pretty much impossible that it wouldn't hurt sales.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Cryptic would never just do it for 100 Zen (essentially just for the average cost it would take to obtain the item on at least 1 other toon). So, if they'd consider it at all, closer to 2,000 Zen, I think (factoring in loss of revenue in Upgrade cost as well). So, tl;dr: I don't see it happen, realistically.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Cryptic would never just do it for 100 Zen (essentially just for the average cost it would take to obtain the item on at least 1 other toon). So, if they'd consider it at all, closer to 2,000 Zen, I think (factoring in loss of revenue in Upgrade cost as well). So, tl;dr: I don't see it happen, realistically.

Agreed, while I like the idea.. I don't see it happening. If it did, it would be expensive.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    charon83 wrote: »
    Don't think this would hurt sales at all, if anything it could boost sales because desired items are no longer restricted to a singular character.
    I don't buy that. People that just buy one ship would STILL just buy one ship. But people that buy multiple would no longer buy multiple. It's pretty much impossible that it wouldn't hurt sales.

phrased it wrong last night, was a tad too tired, my point was that, some people (myself included) would start make more purchases due to the fact that those purchases are eventual investments for new characters like recruits in the future instead of waiting until it's needed. Let's say you happen to have lobi/EC for a thing you might want to try out on one character and it's not working the way you expected, you can always send it to some other character where said item/console/thing would fit better in the future or even decide to make a build around it with the next recruit. You'd have a higher range of stuff ppl might try but didn't before because it comes with restrictions. Obviously certain ships like the astika/zahl/tos dread/nx refit etc would still be bought multiple times for their traits/console because some people (myself included) want the consoles on multiple/different builds.

@charon83 I agree with what you say there - It isn't going to hurt the sales at all, at first i didn't understand with the initial comment you made, but after your explanation , I agree. there are a few ships I would like to have on a different character.

Also - Consoles that come with ships, - yes, I would still buy multiple ships of a certain type in order to equip the console on other char's so - actually it's a win win for cryptic here - as If nothing else it will increase the sales of ships for them if people have the ability to swap consoles through this use of a Hacking tool.

I think this idea should be put through into suggestions and feedback somewhere where staff / developers may notice it, but which forum should it go into?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Account Unlocks would be another method. I am certain that very few people would bother getting another Tier 6 Constitution, Enterprise-J, or Annorax, but there would be plenty of people that would spend $30 to unlock these ships for their entire account.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Personally, across two accounts there's two ships I'd like to trade to a different alt.

But I agree, it will never happen. Way too much loss of money for Cryptic. So those alts will never get those ships, no way am I paying for something that expensive twice.
This discussion has been closed.