test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

IP Law/Harmony Gold rambling

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited August 2018 in Ten Forward
This discussion was created from comments split from: The woes of Star Trek 4 (or 14 if you prefer) and the Kelvinverse's future..

Comments

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    redvenge wrote: »
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah, that was apparently a casualty of Abrams's ego — what I heard was he got into a fight with CBS, wanted them to stop selling merch for the pre-2009 series and films. CBS went "lolwut?" and also pulled the plug on any possible tie-in KT TV series.
    Paramount has to go through CBS for merchandising. From what I was able to find, the first movie was a headache for both Paramount and CBS as they had to agree on what was a "fair" division of profits... for every license CBS wanted to issue. This caused a delay which some detractors have interpreted to be a "lack of faith in the Bad Robot Trek" by license holders. It was not until after the latest Trek Encyclopedia was published that the Bad Robot movies were officially called the "Kelvin Timeline" and a few months later, STO got Kelvin Timeline content. So, if you don't have most of your merchandising deals worked out until your THIRD MOVIE, you probably won't have a lot of stuff on store shelves in time for your first movie.

Anyone else but me thinks this whole 'tug of war' with CBS and Paramount over the last decade has been....well, infantile?

It's Hollywood business, Smoke. the Entertainment industry is f*cking weird, and cutting off the nose to spite the face is more the rule than the exception.

Which explains why so much mainstream media and entertainment, to me, has been TRIBBLE for sooooooo many years.
    This is as bad as Harmony Gold and Robotech. >_>;;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Don't get me started on Harmony Gold. Until recently we haven't had a good Battletech game available BECAUSE Harmony Gold feels they own the rights to ANYTHING remotely resembling Robotech. Hell I'm surprised they didn't try and sue Legendary when they came out with Pacific Rim because "OH LOOK! Giant mech with two arms and two legs! LAWSUIT!"

Some of the stupidity from Harmony Gold... they tried to say some Battlemechs looked like things in Robotech... when it was rather obvious they looked nothing alike besides "Two arms and Two legs".

While I do admit the old Unseen Mechs, like the original design Warhammer and Marauder, were blatant ripoffs of Robotech stuff... nothing is now. Yet Harmony Gold keeps trying to KILL anything Battletech/Mechwarrior. And this is over 20 years AFTER the whole Unseen fiasco.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't get me started on Harmony Gold. Until recently we haven't had a good Battletech game available BECAUSE Harmony Gold feels they own the rights to ANYTHING remotely resembling Robotech. Hell I'm surprised they didn't try and sue Legendary when they came out with Pacific Rim because "OH LOOK! Giant mech with two arms and two legs! LAWSUIT!"

Some of the stupidity from Harmony Gold... they tried to say some Battlemechs looked like things in Robotech... when it was rather obvious they looked nothing alike besides "Two arms and Two legs".

While I do admit the old Unseen Mechs, like the original design Warhammer and Marauder, were blatant ripoffs of Robotech stuff... nothing is now. Yet Harmony Gold keeps trying to KILL anything Battletech/Mechwarrior. And this is over 20 years AFTER the whole Unseen fiasco.

it is easier to sue companies that have a minor similarity to an IP that you owe than it is to create a new product. IP laws should have a mandatory clause that requires something to be created involving the IP of a sufficient level of quality every 5 or 10 years or the IP is lost and becomes part of the public domain.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The main issue though is that Harmony Gold really only has "DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS" to Robotech in North America. The source material, all the Macross stuff, is still owned by a company in Japan. And the funny thing is... Everything Robotech, was stitched together from at least three different, unrelated Macross anime. The whole Macross Saga (with the SDF-1) was one thing, the Robotech Masters fight with Southern Cross forces was seperate, and the Invid war was yet another seperate thing. It just got stitched together in such a way to make a coherant story for Robotech.

And I think Harmony Gold may be on their way to losing that license anyways. Word on the grapevine is they actually filed a lawsuit against a Japanese company, which could have connections to the original IP Owners.

And yea... Harmony Gold has really produced NOTHING since I guess The Shadow Chronicles came out. There was talk of a live action movie, but I guess that fell through. And yea... they get lawsuit happy to make money rather than actually DOING THEIR JOB.

Before I watched some Robotech, me slapping an RDF symbol on the side of a MadCat was a one finger salute to Robotech. After I watched a few episodes I thought it was alright. Then I hear more about Harmony Gold's antics and... guess what guys! RDF Symbol on a MadCat is no longer a one finger salute to Robotech, it is a one finger salute to Harmony Gold!

BEGONE EDIT MONSTER!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > Don't get me started on Harmony Gold. Until recently we haven't had a good Battletech game available BECAUSE Harmony Gold feels they own the rights to ANYTHING remotely resembling Robotech. Hell I'm surprised they didn't try and sue Legendary when they came out with Pacific Rim because "OH LOOK! Giant mech with two arms and two legs! LAWSUIT!"
    >
    > Some of the stupidity from Harmony Gold... they tried to say some Battlemechs looked like things in Robotech... when it was rather obvious they looked nothing alike besides "Two arms and Two legs".
    >
    > While I do admit the old Unseen Mechs, like the original design Warhammer and Marauder, were blatant ripoffs of Robotech stuff... nothing is now. Yet Harmony Gold keeps trying to KILL anything Battletech/Mechwarrior. And this is over 20 years AFTER the whole Unseen fiasco.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it is easier to sue companies that have a minor similarity to an IP that you owe than it is to create a new product. IP laws should have a mandatory clause that requires something to be created involving the IP of a sufficient level of quality every 5 or 10 years or the IP is lost and becomes part of the public domain.

I love that idea.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    It isn't even that BattleTech ripped off the designs, one of the three Japanese companies that created Macross (one of the original source materials for Robotech) issued them a license to use the designs. Harmony Gold was issued distribution rights for Macross outside of Japan, but claims that the Robotech recut means they also have copyright on character and mech designs. Ironically HG is in a lawsuit with the Japanese companies over this very issue. HG adamantly claims they have contractual ownership of the designs, but hasn't been able to produce any documentation that actually proves it.

From what I understand HG tried to sue Hasbro's Transformers line for licensing Macross designs, but Hasbro being a much bigger company was able to fight back and win.
  • Options
    Yea... Harmony Gold is... shall we say... borked?
    Distribution Rights for Robotech does NOT equal copyright of character and mech designs. Because that would imply they CREATED them rather than adapted them for North American consumers.

Wait a second... are you saying that the original Marauder... was actually LEGAL despite being an exact copy of an Officer's Pod because the ORIGINAL IP Owners licensed the design to FASA for Battletech?
    3025_marauder.jpg?timestamp=20130421083536
    This was actually legal, and Harmony Gold went after it?!
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

it is easier to sue companies that have a minor similarity to an IP that you owe than it is to create a new product. IP laws should have a mandatory clause that requires something to be created involving the IP of a sufficient level of quality every 5 or 10 years or the IP is lost and becomes part of the public domain.

I think 5 - 10 years is a bit too short. Big corporations could keep it up, but what about individual authors or small IP holders? It took 12 years to write Lord of the Rings. And how do you judge if something is of "sufficient quality?" That's very up-to-interpretation, and my understanding is that such things don't work well in legal settings.

I think the answer to questions like Harmony Gold (of which all I know is what's been written here) is better laws surrounding the use of litigation, though I couldn't tell you how to do that.

I do think that copyright durations need to be shortened, at least for corporate IPs. Life + 70 years has a certain logic to it, giving the author the ability to potentially provide for his descendants for a while. But 95 years is too long for corporate copyright to be held, and it's probably going to be extended as we get closer to 2024, the year Mickey Mouse will enter public domain. 50 years of corporate copyright is plenty IMO.

With software, it's a whole other ballgame because of changing platforms and rapid studio creation/failure. A 10 - 20 year copyright there would be more appropriate for this field.
  • Options
    Yea... Harmony Gold is... shall we say... borked?
    Distribution Rights for Robotech does NOT equal copyright of character and mech designs. Because that would imply they CREATED them rather than adapted them for North American consumers.

Wait a second... are you saying that the original Marauder... was actually LEGAL despite being an exact copy of an Officer's Pod because the ORIGINAL IP Owners licensed the design to FASA for Battletech?
    3025_marauder.jpg?timestamp=20130421083536
    This was actually legal, and Harmony Gold went after it?!

From my research on this issue it is complicated... There were three companies involved in the creation of Macross, with each one holding a certain amount of ownership over the end product. Harmony Gold's distribution license was with one of those companies, the owners of BattleTech got a license from one of the other involved companies. It is further complicated by some of these arrangements being verbal business agreements and now decades later none of the involved parties is on the same page on what really happened or when.

At this point it is hard to say exactly who has what contractual rights, the only thing we know for sure is that HG doesn't have documented proof of its claims of exclusive ownership of character/mech designs.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I think 5 - 10 years is a bit too short. Big corporations could keep it up, but what about individual authors or small IP holders? It took 12 years to write Lord of the Rings. And how do you judge if something is of "sufficient quality?" That's very up-to-interpretation, and my understanding is that such things don't work well in legal settings.

I think the answer to questions like Harmony Gold (of which all I know is what's been written here) is better laws surrounding the use of litigation, though I couldn't tell you how to do that.

I do think that copyright durations need to be shortened, at least for corporate IPs. Life + 70 years has a certain logic to it, giving the author the ability to potentially provide for his descendants for a while. But 95 years is too long for corporate copyright to be held, and it's probably going to be extended as we get closer to 2024, the year Mickey Mouse will enter public domain. 50 years of corporate copyright is plenty IMO.

With software, it's a whole other ballgame because of changing platforms and rapid studio creation/failure. A 10 - 20 year copyright there would be more appropriate for this field.

Just because something has been created doesn't mean it is ready for release to the public. For game development, there is pre-production, alpha, beta, and release and each step is a creation. The 5 to 10 years is to prevent those evil companies that hold onto IP just so that they can sue companies not for some independent developer that takes years to get their project done. As long as they have a product of sufficient quality that they can show to others to prove that they are working on a new commercial product, then they are safe.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User

Just because something has been created doesn't mean it is ready for release to the public. For game development, there is pre-production, alpha, beta, and release and each step is a creation. The 5 to 10 years is to prevent those evil companies that hold onto IP just so that they can sue companies not for some independent developer that takes years to get their project done. As long as they have a product of sufficient quality that they can show to others to prove that they are working on a new commercial product, then they are safe.

Ah, I see. That wasn't clear from you're previous post. It makes more sense, but I can foresee problems. What about a small IP holder with multiple IPs, but who only has the resources to pour into one major project at a time? Or a single author who thinks he's concluded his series and gives it no further thought, but winds up eventually deciding to return to it 15 years later? Or someone who starts a project as a teenager, gives up halfway through, then comes back to it 20 years later now that he's learned enough to do it properly? And again, how do you decide what constitutes "sufficient quality?"

I still think that the problem you're describing would be better served by changing how the courts work rather than changing copyright law. As it stands, taking something to court is very expensive and as such the advantage in a non-criminal court case tends to go to the side that has the most money to spend, rather than the side that's in the right. If being dragged into court wasn't a punishment in and of itself, I think the problem of suppressing similar products wouldn't be as bad.

And again, it's not corporations like Harmony Gold that would be hurt by such a law. They just need to hire a couple conceptual designers to be simmering ideas and turning out concepts in the background at the minimum rate required. It's individuals and small IP holders who would feel the burden.
  • Options
    Almost seems like Harmony Gold is trying a hostile takeover of the IP. Emphesis on trying. I don't see them winning anything, and I believe their license is up in a couple years.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Hell I'm surprised they didn't try and sue Legendary when they came out with Pacific Rim because "OH LOOK! Giant mech with two arms and two legs! LAWSUIT!"

*ahem* the thor, viking, hellbat and goliath all say 'hi'...probably the only reason HG never went after blizzard is that no one is stupid enough to sue blizzard

latest?cb=20161021231508

latest?cb=20170729153549

latest?cb=20171117234222

latest?cb=20100817141555​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    warhound_class_titan_in_combat_by_bloodrave1984-db6arf3.jpg
    This too?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      > @shadowfang240 said:
      > *ahem* the thor, viking, hellbat and goliath all say 'hi'...probably the only reason HG never went after blizzard is that no one is stupid enough to sue blizzard

Out of curiosity, why is that?
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      edited August 2018
      because they're a multi-billionaire company, have hundreds upon thousands of lawyers and can win any battle of attrition in court?

about the only company who might have a chance against them is disney...and since disney has no IPs with mechs in it, they would have no reason to file suit against blizzard​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Not sure about the specifics really, but one thing I heard a long time ago is that part of the problem with Harmony gold is that the contract was excessively vague in it's wording and Harmony Gold basically ignored the spirit of the agreement because the wording of the contract gave them too much rom for interpretation. They chose to interpret it as being more all-encompassing than it was meant to be.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
      Yay! I inspired a thread!!!!!! :D

Toy Galaxy on Youtube did a multipart video on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrIm5lYSdTQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKJIOJwoep8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ZCFtWNJBo

Harmony Gold's infantile behavior, since day one, can be summarized like this:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMNPQ35OUc

dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      about the only company who might have a chance against them is disney...and since disney has no IPs with mechs in it, they would have no reason to file suit against blizzard​​

Shadow...
      latest?cb=20161108042721
      The AT-AT would like to have a word with you.

Also...
      latest?cb=20091206222854
      Surprised EA and the former people at Westwood weren't targeted either.
    • Options
      that's not a mech...mechs have arms​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      Not all mechs do Shadow.
      763px-6bhrfq2l15xtqgu4en20y3c6kvin1fz.png?timestamp=20130421081846
      This has no arms and is still considered a mech.

3025_Jenner1.jpg?timestamp=20060926045304
      And this basically says the AT-STs are Mechs as those can be considered arms despite not having elbows.
      latest?cb=20151110032640

So for all intents and purposes... a Mech is any vechicle that uses legs for movement. Powered Armor is a different animal because it is generally only suit size.

So technically speaking, Star Wars does have mechs. And so does the Tiberium universe of C&C. It is just not applied like most Japanese style Mecha.
    • Options
      Also, how many TV shows have mechas? LOTS! Power Rangers, Gundam…. like 20 different versions of Gundam, Voltron, Ok, I'm bored of listing them already.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      transformers are pretty much mecha in their robot forms​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
      So are Titans in 40K
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
        Also, how many TV shows have mechas? LOTS! Power Rangers, Gundam…. like 20 different versions of Gundam, Voltron, Ok, I'm bored of listing them already.
        Not enough.

Maybe, if Harmony Gold finally has no rights and contracts to rely on, we can get a Battletech movie or TV series? Wouldn't that be great? The setting is so big it would be easy to tell a new story or retell any novel you'd like.
        Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
      • Options
        Not enough.

Maybe, if Harmony Gold finally has no rights and contracts to rely on, we can get a Battletech movie or TV series? Wouldn't that be great? The setting is so big it would be easy to tell a new story or retell any novel you'd like.
        I honestly think it's been languishing because the IP owners are waiting for the contract to expire.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
      • Options
        edited August 2018
        Wasn't even aware there was a Robotech RPG...

After a quick Google Search...
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech_(role-playing_game)
        Palladium's no longer holding the license to either the RPG or the miniature game.

Link fixed. -- StarSword-C
        Post edited by starswordc on
      • Options
        It makes one wonder what HG will do once that contract ends in a few years. The owners of Macross certainly don't seem eager to let HG keep squatting on their brand, although the other two shows Robotech sourced weren't particularly big hits in japan so they might be able to keep those...
      • Options
        Meh... odds are Harmony Gold will just lose it all. But I bet JUST before the contract ends, they'll try suing for ownership because its their main souce of income to sue people over mechs. Without Robotech, they have nothing to sue people over.